Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 13:24:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "The Worst Flood in Living Memory" - Yangshuo, China, June 2020
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 20:24 UTC

On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 2:35:16 PM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
> "The Worst Flood in Living Memory" - Yangshuo, China, June 2020
> 835,909 views, Jul 9, 2020, Time: 6:58
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5_BmrAzfRw&vl=en
> A stark reminder that, once provoked, Nature is the
> ultimate force on this planet.
> The local bar owner shared his take (4:18): "I think it's climate change.
> When it comes to environmental awareness, people don't think too much
> about balance between humanity and the surroundings, about equilibrium."
> ---------------
> Yangshuo County is a county under the jurisdiction of Guilin City, in the
> northeast of Guangxi, China. Its seat is located in Yangshuo Town.
> Surrounded by karst peaks and bordered on one side by the Li River
> it is easily accessible by bus or by boat from nearby Guilin.
>
> In the 1980s, the county became popular with foreign people engaging
> in backpacker tourism, and organized tours began by the late 1990s.
> At the time, domestic tourists represented only a small fraction, but
> they soon outnumbered foreign tourists by a greater margin in 2005.
> Today, the county is a resort destination for both domestic and
> foreign travelers.
>
> The history of West Street dates back to over 1,400 years ago. Since
> the street is popular with locals and foreigners alike, signs are
> written in both Chinese and English. Because of the relatively high
> number of foreign visitors, many locals speak some English unlike most
> Chinese towns of its size.
>
> The Yangshuo region has numerous locations for climbing, most easily
> accessible by bicycle, public bus or taxi-van. The most famous of
> these crags is Moon Hill with several lines graded 5.13 in the Yosemite
> scale. Other crags of note include Low Mountain, Twin Gates, Baby Frog,
> the Egg, Bamboo Grove, and Wine Bottle Cliff.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangshuo_County

More dams and levees are needed. More flowing storm water drainages are needed. More dikes are needed, too. Many more methods should be creatively built along the lines of flood areas to overcome and drain flooding. Climate change is changed from overheated skies and melting ice, melted water will raise sea level.