"Open Channel D..." -- Napoleon Solo, The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: The Hidden Dividends of Stopping Population Growth

SubjectAuthor
* Re: The Hidden Dividends of Stopping Population Growthltlee1
`- Re: The Hidden Dividends of Stopping Population Growthstoney

1
Re: The Hidden Dividends of Stopping Population Growth

<cfbb5d7d-0801-485f-b452-3078e0ceb307n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9542&group=soc.culture.china#9542

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 11:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Hidden Dividends of Stopping Population Growth
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 25 May 2022 18:19 UTC

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 1:21:25 AM UTC-4, David P. wrote:
> [...]
> afford, or chose not to, spend money on their election campaigns.
>
> This kept the political parties honest. If they selected a poor
> candidate, voters would choose someone else. Secondly, Councillors
> often got elected with little “baggage” – obligations to campaign
> donors and workers. Their primary obligation was to the voters, as
> it should be. Campaign expenditure was low. I engaged in low cost
> or no cost campaigning such as doorknocking and street stalls.
>
> The growing size of electorates works in favour of candidates with
> money – either their own or somebody else’s. Presidents and Prime
> Ministers in large countries are nowadays almost always extremely
> wealthy. Ordinary people have no hope of getting a meeting with
> these leaders, whereas they most certainly could get a meeting
> with me and my Council colleagues.
>
> More Happiness
> ----------------
> Not only are small populations more honest and better represented
> politically, apparently they are also happier. The World Happiness
> Report is an annual publication from the Sustainable Development
> Solutions Network, using Gallup World Poll data to evaluate
> happiness and wellbeing across nations. The World Happiness
> Report 2022, ranking countries’ happiness on a 3-year average
> from 2019-2021, found that the 10 happiest nations were, in order:
> Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Luxembourg,
> Sweden, Norway, Israel, and New Zealand.
>
> Once again, a dominant characteristic of these countries is small
> populations. Of the 146 nations ranked, Afghanistan and Lebanon
> were last and second last. The next 8 spots were filled by rapidly
> growing African nations, with crowded India next at No 136.
> -----------------------------
> The happiness rankings of the 10 most populous countries are as follows:
> Happiness Rank: China 72, India 136, USA 16, Indonesia 87, Pakistan 121,
> Brazil 38, Nigeria 118, Bangladesh 94, Russia 80, Mexico 46
> -------------------------------------
> Increasing population size leads to more traffic congestion, less
> job security, decreasing housing affordability, decreased tree canopy
> cover and access to open space, and loss of the mental health benefits
> of interacting with nature.
>
> I'm not suggesting there is a simple, unvarying relationship between
> population size and honesty, integrity, and happiness. Many other
> factors play a role in good government and individual wellbeing.
> And given the number of countries we are talking about, inevitably
> there will be exceptions. But the correlation is clear enough to
> warrant both further research, and more attention from policy makers.
>
> Given the importance of honesty, integrity, and happiness in our
> lives, it makes sense for every country, everywhere, to put a stop
> to population growth. And of course, doing so also represents an
> important contribution to global sustainability.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The Hidden Dividends of Stopping Population Growth

<811a9dd2-a9c2-492f-a887-e82fd80c97c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9557&group=soc.culture.china#9557

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china