Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 10:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Military Pact Between U.S., U.K. and Australia to Focus on
Hypersonic Missiles
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Wed, 4 May 2022 17:25 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:21:38 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
> Military Pact Between U.S., U.K. and Australia to Focus on Hypersonic Missiles
> By Mike Cherney, Apr. 5, 2022, WSJ
>
> A military partnership between the U.S., the U.K. and Australia will be
> expanded to focus on developing hypersonic missiles, amid concerns that
> the U.S. and its allies are falling behind potential rivals including
> China in testing such weapons.
>
> Hypersonic missiles fly at over 5 times the speed of sound and can be
> maneuvered before hitting a target. They are more difficult to detect
> on radar than existing missiles, giving an edge to any military seeking
> to surprise an opponent.
>
> Officials from the U.S., the U.K. and Australia said on Wednesday that
> they would focus on both hypersonic missiles and counter-hypersonic
> capabilities after meeting to discuss progress in implementing their
> new three-way alliance, called AUKUS. The pact, announced last year,
> is already aimed at providing nuclear-powered submarines for Australia
> in the coming decades and developing undersea capabilities, quantum
> technologies and artificial intelligence.
>
> The AUKUS countries said Wednesday that they would look into electronic-
> warfare capabilities, noting that the electromagnetic spectrum is
> increasingly contested and that they want to enable their forces to
> operate in contested and degraded environments. They said they would
> expand information sharing and deepen cooperation on defense innovation.
>
> “We reaffirmed our commitment to AUKUS and to a free and open Indo-
> Pacific,” the countries said in a joint leaders-level statement. “We
> reiterated our unwavering commitment to an international system that
> respects human rights, the rule of law, and the peaceful resolution
> of disputes free from coercion.”
>
> The AUKUS pact is a key part of the U.S. strategy for the Indo-Pacific,
> where it is building a network of alliances that can serve as a counter-
> weight to China. Australia is an important U.S. ally in the region and
> is a member of the Quad group of countries, a separate partnership that
> includes the U.S., Japan, India and Australia.
>
> Defense experts say that guided long-range strike capabilities are
> crucial for success in modern warfare because they are more efficient
> in hitting specific targets. U.S. officials have previously said
> developing hypersonic missiles is a priority.
>
> Australia has been investing in its overall missile capabilities,
> and on Tuesday said it would partner with U.S. defense companies
> Raytheon and Lockheed Martin to help build missiles domestically.
> Australia also said that it would accelerate the deployment of new
> missiles for its air force and navy.
>
> China has good long-range strike capabilities and is likely to
> improve those capabilities in the future, according to some defense
> experts. China has already conducted hundreds of hypersonic ballistic
> missile tests, according to one former U.S. official.

> [...]

AUKUS is like a gang of 3, which is like the 3 Musketeers in their saying with a motto together - "ALL for one and One for all". From the look of them, they seemed to tell other countries that a form of gangster society is necessary for them, too.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Military Pact Between U.S., U.K. and Australia to Focus on Hypersonic Missiles