Mediocrity finds safety in standardization. -- Frederick Crane

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a better place to be these days.Leon
+* Re: Is there a better place to be these days.Puckdropper
|`- Re: Is there a better place to be these days.pyotr filipivich
+* Re: Is there a better place to be these days.Joe Gwinn
|`* Re: Is there a better place to be these days.John
| `* Re: Is there a better place to be these days.Joe Gwinn
|  `* Re: Is there a better place to be these days.John
|   `- Re: Is there a better place to be these days.Joe Gwinn
`- Re: Is there a better place to be these days.Scott Lurndal

1
Is there a better place to be these days.

<5yydnalxP7hUjCX4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8961&group=rec.woodworking#8961

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:59:53 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Subject: Is there a better place to be these days.
 by: Leon - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:59 UTC

Seems this site is being loaded with crap.

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<eWUtN.368409$p%Mb.179606@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8962&group=rec.woodworking#8962

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Is there a better place to be these days.
From: puckdrop...@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:39:22 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:39 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

> Seems this site is being loaded with crap.

Reddit used to get my vote for the closest to Usenet, but the owners have
no clue what made it special. At any rate, the woodworking sub is all
"look what I made".

Facebook groups are a giant pain. There's a lot of good information there,
but Facebook keeps reloading the page when I shut the phone screen off and
showing me different stuff.

So as far as general woodworking goes, perhaps not?

Puckdropper

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<uc8gridqh6b737q1rjbi0pc0nf7ir6t3c0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8963&group=rec.woodworking#8963

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 17:09:00 -0500
 by: Joe Gwinn - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:09 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:59:53 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>Seems this site is being loaded with crap.

Google Groups will discontinue its feeds to Usenet groups on 24 Feb
'24; this may tame the flood.

Joe

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<lDVtN.273459$Wp_8.255507@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8964&group=rec.woodworking#8964

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:27:29 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:27 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> writes:
>Seems this site is being loaded with crap
..

The crap will disappear in 16 days (Feb 14, 2024).

Google will no longer support posting to usenet
after that date.

Can't come soon enough.

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<86cytjbv7i.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8965&group=rec.woodworking#8965

From: joh...@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:01:21 +0000
 by: John - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:01 UTC

Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> writes:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:59:53 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>>Seems this site is being loaded with crap.
>
> Google Groups will discontinue its feeds to Usenet groups on 24 Feb
> '24; this may tame the flood.
>
> Joe

Some news admins have been more proactive; I've been dropping all Google
Groups-originated traffic for several months, and I believe Eternal
September does the same. Accounts on E-S are free, for anyone who
doesn't want to wait.

john

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<focgril6qkt489i7ed9jd06vcpv3ucmhn2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8966&group=rec.woodworking#8966

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:22:20 -0500
 by: Joe Gwinn - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:22 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:01:21 +0000, John
<john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

>Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:59:53 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Seems this site is being loaded with crap.
>>
>> Google Groups will discontinue its feeds to Usenet groups on 24 Feb
>> '24; this may tame the flood.
>>
>> Joe
>
>Some news admins have been more proactive; I've been dropping all Google
>Groups-originated traffic for several months, and I believe Eternal
>September does the same. Accounts on E-S are free, for anyone who
>doesn't want to wait.

So what's the leakage from?

Joe Gwinn

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<865xzbbqca.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8967&group=rec.woodworking#8967

From: joh...@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:46:29 +0000
 by: John - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:46 UTC

Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> writes:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:01:21 +0000, John
> <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
>
>>Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> writes:

>>> Google Groups will discontinue its feeds to Usenet groups on 24 Feb
>>> '24; this may tame the flood.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>
>>Some news admins have been more proactive; I've been dropping all Google
>>Groups-originated traffic for several months, and I believe Eternal
>>September does the same. Accounts on E-S are free, for anyone who
>>doesn't want to wait.
>
> So what's the leakage from?
>
> Joe Gwinn

What leakage? You're apparently posting from giganews, and I don't know
if they are filtering GG traffic or not, so you may be seeing massive
quantities of spam in this group. On my end, I see no spam.

john

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<tm8iri12gsdkmptpbpq205cib5ohetq0gt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8968&group=rec.woodworking#8968

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:31:45 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:31 UTC

Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com> on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:39:22 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
>Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>> Seems this site is being loaded with crap.
>
>Reddit used to get my vote for the closest to Usenet, but the owners have
>no clue what made it special. At any rate, the woodworking sub is all
>"look what I made".

I've just discovered redit myself, in the fiction area. Some of
it is good, and some of it not so good.
As far as "look what I made" - that may also be a result of
"founders effect" - the people posting there are showing their work,
and not necessarily asking for advice, so others think it is all about
showing off and not asking for advice. I do not know.

>Facebook groups are a giant pain. There's a lot of good information there,
>but Facebook keeps reloading the page when I shut the phone screen off and
>showing me different stuff.

Facebook, oy. Yes, if you can find the page it can be useful. But
as you say, once you have seen a post Facebook decides you're done
with that. or it decides I want to skip over several posts (which may
be a browser issue) which is usually when I decide I've more important
things to do. Scoop the cat litter. Take out the garbage. Mop the
kitchen. Stare out the window at the traffic.

--
pyotr filipivich

Re: Is there a better place to be these days.

<kd3lritnnpt0o9sngv55uekl4b80kr45nq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8970&group=rec.woodworking#8970

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 13:15:14 -0500
 by: Joe Gwinn - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:15 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:46:29 +0000, John
<john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

>Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:01:21 +0000, John
>> <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

>>>Some news admins have been more proactive; I've been dropping all Google
>>>Groups-originated traffic for several months, and I believe Eternal
>>>September does the same. Accounts on E-S are free, for anyone who
>>>doesn't want to wait.
>>
>> So what's the leakage from?
>>
>> Joe Gwinn
>
>What leakage? You're apparently posting from giganews, and I don't know
>if they are filtering GG traffic or not, so you may be seeing massive
>quantities of spam in this group. On my end, I see no spam.

Yes, GigaNews. Right now, they are obviously not filtering.

GigaNews keeps everything forever, and lets users find what they want.

Joe Gwinn