Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 20:09:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ukraine War Sparks Global Scramble for Cooking Oils
From: zifon...@gmail.com (borie)
 by: borie - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 03:09 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 2:36:55 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
> Ukraine War Sparks Global Scramble for Cooking Oils
> By Saabira Chaudhuri, Apr. 6, 2022, WSJ
>
> Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has sparked a global shortage
> of sunflower oil that has in turn pushed prices of other
> edible oils to record highs, hitting food makers and consumers
> already grappling with inflation.
>
> Ukraine is a major producer of sunflower oil, making up over
> 47% of the world’s exports, according to research firm Mintec.
> But shipments of sunflower oil—and seeds used by crushers
> elsewhere—have ground to a halt amid the war, disrupting
> supplies of a commodity widely used for cooking and as an
> ingredient in everyday products like margarine, mayonnaise
> and bread.
>
> The shortage of Ukrainian sunflower oil has triggered a
> domino effect that underscores how interconnected global
> commodity markets are pushing up the price of other oils
> produced elsewhere, including those not ordinarily considered
> substitutes for sunflower oil.
>
> The disruption comes on top of already high prices for
> edible oils after crop failures in Canada and South America.
> “We were already in the middle of an inflection point,” said
> Luciano Chiumiento, commercial director of Italian pesto maker
> CLAS SpA., ordinarily a major user of sunflower oil. “Then
> there was the war and it made everything more crazy.”
>
> Global sunflower oil prices were up 44% at the end of March
> compared with a year earlier, while rapeseed oil had risen
> 72%, according to market data firm Mintec Ltd. The price of
> soybean oil is up 41%, palm oil has gained 61% and olive oil
> is 15% higher. Other than olive oil, all the rest hit record
> high prices in March, says Mintec.
>
> At first, many food manufacturers switched to rapeseed oil,
> the easiest substitute for sunflower oil, said Gary Lewis,
> head of KTC Edibles Ltd., a U.K.-based seller of cooking and
> ingredient oils.
>
> Rapeseed oil prices quoted by crushers quickly jumped between
> 40% to 50%, Lewis said. Rapeseed supplies then soon began to
> run low, too. Now, KTC isn’t selling either sunflower oil or
> rapeseed oil, he said, because they can’t get hold of them.
>
> “The world's realizing it’s not easy to take a major commodity
> like sunflower oil and switch to an alternative,” Lewis added.
>
> Sunflower oil is a popular cooking oil but also an attractive
> ingredient for products like mayonnaise & margarine, particularly
> in Europe, because of its relatively mild flavor and wide
> availability. Substituting in palm oil can be tough because
> it is more dense, while soy oil raises allergy risks and
> concerns over genetically modified organisms, said Albert
> McQuaid, chief science and tech officer for Irish ingredients
> maker Kerry Group PLC. The company is in the process of swapping
> sunflower for rapeseed oil in the emulsifiers it makes for
> mayonnaise and margarine makers.
>
> Olive oil, a relatively niche and expensive product, has
> [...]

There are many cooking oils made around the world and hence there should be no shortages at all. The biggest supply of cooking oil is palm oil. Palm oil is the biggest user's market in the world. Sunflower oil is very small percetage of cooking oil to the range of oils available and sold in the supermarkets. There are rice bran oils made from rice husk and soya oil from soya and many more new cooking oil products are made for cooking. Ukraine war will not dent the world's market of demand on cooking oil.

Click here to read the complete article

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Ukraine War Sparks Global Scramble for Cooking Oils