"You'll pay to know what you really think." -- J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

interests / soc.culture.china / Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

SubjectAuthor
* Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessionsltlee1
+- Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessionsbmoore
`* Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessionsborie
 `* Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessionsltlee1
  `* Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessionsborie
   `- Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessionsltlee1

1
Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

<c9ccebe8-5053-49ab-b99e-a7951ad7650fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8813&group=soc.culture.china#8813

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 15:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 22:36 UTC

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/30/ukraine-is-ready-for-painful-concessions/

"In recent days, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky walked the first steps toward peace by announcing his openness to making several concessions to Russian demands. ...

Although Ukrainians increasingly view these concessions as inevitable, they are not enthused about making them. They are right when they say that they should not be expected to volunteer concessions, as Russia is the aggressor. They are also right to be disappointed at the West’s own failure to meet its moral condemnation of Russia with more material support for Ukraine. The United States, Europe, and the United Kingdom have made it clear that while they will punish Russia economically and might even cut off Russian energy imports completely over time, militarily they will only offer defensive equipment. Despite repeated calls by Zelensky, the West has agreed neither to impose a no-fly zone nor to send ground troops, seeking to avoid being dragged into a direct conflict with Moscow.

Zachary Paikin, a researcher at the European policy think tank CEPS, said that in the past the West had nurtured Ukraine’s ambitions to join NATO without having any intentions of irking Russia by actually allowing it to do so. “This only served to irritate Moscow to no apparent end. The endless invocation of principles at the expense of creative diplomacy and strategy is a recipe for disaster,” he told Foreign Policy.
In the middle of a war that threatened Ukraine’s existence as a nation, Zelensky and Ukrainians finally seem to have realized that they will have to give up on their aspiration to join the Western defense alliance and probably erase that aspiration from their constitution.

After negotiations on Tuesday, the Russians seemed to believe that their Ukrainian counterparts were no longer interested in being a part of NATO, and they described the Istanbul talks as “meaningful.” They said Russia would “reduce military activity” near Kyiv and the northern Ukrainian city of Chernihiv, and that they were encouraged to organize a meeting between Zelensky and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin sooner than initially envisaged.

“We have received Ukraine’s written proposals confirming its striving toward a neutral, off-block, and nuclear-free status, with a refusal from the production and deployment of all types of weapons of mass destruction,” said Russian presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky, who led the Russian delegation in the talks, according to the Russian news agency TASS. “We have received these written proposals.”

Zelensky, however, is adamant that Ukraine’s promise to remain neutral and non-nuclear depends on security guarantees from NATO nations: the United States, the U.K., France, Germany, and Turkey."

It is Biden's call now. Peace or continue to bleed Russia?

Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

<1717a9a1-b9a7-4011-88c9-941ca639946dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8815&group=soc.culture.china#8815

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 01:23 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 3:36:22 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/30/ukraine-is-ready-for-painful-concessions/

> It is Biden's call now. Peace or continue to bleed Russia?

You are so full of it.

Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

<92941675-8384-496b-8325-fd36c5d9d0bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8854&group=soc.culture.china#8854

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: zifon...@gmail.com (borie)
 by: borie - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 20:39 UTC

On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 6:36:22 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/30/ukraine-is-ready-for-painful-concessions/
>
> "In recent days, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky walked the first steps toward peace by announcing his openness to making several concessions to Russian demands. ...
>
> Although Ukrainians increasingly view these concessions as inevitable, they are not enthused about making them. They are right when they say that they should not be expected to volunteer concessions, as Russia is the aggressor. They are also right to be disappointed at the West’s own failure to meet its moral condemnation of Russia with more material support for Ukraine. The United States, Europe, and the United Kingdom have made it clear that while they will punish Russia economically and might even cut off Russian energy imports completely over time, militarily they will only offer defensive equipment. Despite repeated calls by Zelensky, the West has agreed neither to impose a no-fly zone nor to send ground troops, seeking to avoid being dragged into a direct conflict with Moscow.
>
> Zachary Paikin, a researcher at the European policy think tank CEPS, said that in the past the West had nurtured Ukraine’s ambitions to join NATO without having any intentions of irking Russia by actually allowing it to do so. “This only served to irritate Moscow to no apparent end.. The endless invocation of principles at the expense of creative diplomacy and strategy is a recipe for disaster,” he told Foreign Policy.
> In the middle of a war that threatened Ukraine’s existence as a nation, Zelensky and Ukrainians finally seem to have realized that they will have to give up on their aspiration to join the Western defense alliance and probably erase that aspiration from their constitution.
>
> After negotiations on Tuesday, the Russians seemed to believe that their Ukrainian counterparts were no longer interested in being a part of NATO, and they described the Istanbul talks as “meaningful.” They said Russia would “reduce military activity” near Kyiv and the northern Ukrainian city of Chernihiv, and that they were encouraged to organize a meeting between Zelensky and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin sooner than initially envisaged.
>
> “We have received Ukraine’s written proposals confirming its striving toward a neutral, off-block, and nuclear-free status, with a refusal from the production and deployment of all types of weapons of mass destruction,” said Russian presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky, who led the Russian delegation in the talks, according to the Russian news agency TASS. “We have received these written proposals.”
>
> Zelensky, however, is adamant that Ukraine’s promise to remain neutral and non-nuclear depends on security guarantees from NATO nations: the United States, the U.K., France, Germany, and Turkey."
>
> It is Biden's call now. Peace or continue to bleed Russia?

If US wants, they could walk side by side with Zelensky or behind Zelensky in forwarding to bleed Russia. Zelensky had continued to ask for arms from US and EU for their resistance at Russia.

Zelensky asked for tanks, ships, jet fighters and all of that ammo on drones, etc. But the sum of them supplied is not enough to bleed Russia.

Asking more arms needed not forthcoming showed up in signs of Zelensky's exasperation at the West for not hearing him, and abandoning him and people. Biden is in the tilt of the rock.

Curiously, what would Trump do at this situation , if Trump is now still the president instead. Will Trump launch a full scale war on Ukraine soil to resist Russia or also sit back and talk like what is going on now?

Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

<eaff85fc-3200-4029-8769-0812a560ec31n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8874&group=soc.culture.china#8874

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 05:59:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:59 UTC

On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 4:40:00 PM UTC-4, borie wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > It is Biden's call now. Peace or continue to bleed Russia?
> If US wants, they could walk side by side with Zelensky or behind Zelensky in forwarding to bleed Russia. Zelensky had continued to ask for arms from US and EU for their resistance at Russia.
>
> Zelensky asked for tanks, ships, jet fighters and all of that ammo on drones, etc. But the sum of them supplied is not enough to bleed Russia.
>
> Asking more arms needed not forthcoming showed up in signs of Zelensky's exasperation at the West for not hearing him, and abandoning him and people.. Biden is in the tilt of the rock.
>
> Curiously, what would Trump do at this situation , if Trump is now still the president instead. Will Trump launch a full scale war on Ukraine soil to resist Russia or also sit back and talk like what is going on now?

Actually, Putin has a lot admirers and presumably a lot more secret admirers in the US.

"Each year since 1946, Gallup has asked Americans to name the living man or woman they most admire. The top vote-getters for 2014, announced on Monday, were no surprise: Barack Obama claimed victory in the male category for the seventh straight year, while Hillary Clinton extended her even more impressive run as "most admired woman" for the 17th time in the last 18 years, a record for the survey.

The most eyebrow-raising entrant on either list, however, was Vladimir Putin, who slipped into a tie for 10th place (with Israeli's Benjamin Netanyahu) after being named by 1 percent of respondents. In cracking the top 10, the widely condemned invader of Ukraine earned more votes than Vice President Joe Biden, the last two Republican and Democratic presidential nominees (before Obama), two ex-presidents (Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush), George Clooney, and the Dalai Lama. He even beat out Bono."
https://news.yahoo.com/vladimir-putin-10th-most-admired-man-america-183114067.html

BTW, the poll was conducted after Russia had taken Crimea.
For Trump, he had called Putin a genius in the beginning of the war.

Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

<59fbc903-3047-4fdd-a007-e38f4a8fcff3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8877&group=soc.culture.china#8877

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:17:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: zifon...@gmail.com (borie)
 by: borie - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:17 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:59:56 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
>
> The most eyebrow-raising entrant on either list, however, was Vladimir Putin, who slipped into a tie for 10th place (with Israeli's Benjamin Netanyahu) after being named by 1 percent of respondents. In cracking the top 10, the widely condemned invader of Ukraine earned more votes than Vice President Joe Biden, the last two Republican and Democratic presidential nominees (before Obama), two ex-presidents (Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush), George Clooney, and the Dalai Lama. He even beat out Bono."
> https://news.yahoo.com/vladimir-putin-10th-most-admired-man-america-183114067.html
>
> BTW, the poll was conducted after Russia had taken Crimea.
> For Trump, he had called Putin a genius in the beginning of the war.

Can you check up what is the positions of the admired man for Trump, Lee, Carrie Lam, Tsai.?

Re: Ukraine Is Ready for Painful Concessions

<7ee692f7-3409-4007-a9aa-c68170ff0756n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8896&group=soc.culture.china#8896

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:41 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 3:17:57 PM UTC-4, borie wrote:
> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:59:56 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > If US wants, they could walk side by side with Zelensky or behind Zelensky in forwarding to bleed Russia. Zelensky had continued to ask for arms from US and EU for their resistance at Russia.
> > >
> > > Zelensky asked for tanks, ships, jet fighters and all of that ammo on drones, etc. But the sum of them supplied is not enough to bleed Russia.
> > >
> > > Asking more arms needed not forthcoming showed up in signs of Zelensky's exasperation at the West for not hearing him, and abandoning him and people. Biden is in the tilt of the rock.
> > >
> > > Curiously, what would Trump do at this situation , if Trump is now still the president instead. Will Trump launch a full scale war on Ukraine soil to resist Russia or also sit back and talk like what is going on now?
> > Actually, Putin has a lot admirers and presumably a lot more secret admirers in the US.
> >
> > "Each year since 1946, Gallup has asked Americans to name the living man or woman they most admire. The top vote-getters for 2014, announced on Monday, were no surprise: Barack Obama claimed victory in the male category for the seventh straight year, while Hillary Clinton extended her even more impressive run as "most admired woman" for the 17th time in the last 18 years, a record for the survey.
> >
> > The most eyebrow-raising entrant on either list, however, was Vladimir Putin, who slipped into a tie for 10th place (with Israeli's Benjamin Netanyahu) after being named by 1 percent of respondents. In cracking the top 10, the widely condemned invader of Ukraine earned more votes than Vice President Joe Biden, the last two Republican and Democratic presidential nominees (before Obama), two ex-presidents (Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush), George Clooney, and the Dalai Lama. He even beat out Bono."
> > https://news.yahoo.com/vladimir-putin-10th-most-admired-man-america-183114067.html
> >
> > BTW, the poll was conducted after Russia had taken Crimea.
> > For Trump, he had called Putin a genius in the beginning of the war.
> Can you check up what is the positions of the admired man for Trump, Lee, Carrie Lam, Tsai.?

"Nearly One-Third of House Republicans Vote Against NATO" according to one headline.