You have no real enemies.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable

SubjectAuthor
* Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Modelkico
+* Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model UnsustainableByker
|`- Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainablebmoore
`- Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model UnsustainableByker

1
Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable

<t08uip$od0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8539&group=soc.culture.china#8539

From: kic...@gmail.com (kico)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model
Unsustainable
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 09:07:25 +0800
 by: kico - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 01:07 UTC

On 22/2/2022 11:13 am, David P. wrote:
> South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable
> By Choe Sang-Hun, Feb. 17, 2022, NYT
>
> Critics have said the government’s new approach disadvantages
> underprivileged classes, like poor people who lack access to
> medical care or other social services.
>
> “It’s tantamount to letting the virus spread, rather than doing
> everything possible to contain its spread,” said ​Woo Seoc-kyun,
> a representative of the Association of Physicians for Humanism​,
> a nationwide doctors’ group​. “It threatens to reverse what we
> have achieved so far through a tight management of the pandemic,
> like keeping the number of fatalities low.”
>
> The government said that even if the daily caseload soared, ​it
> would still consider lifting restrictions further so that South
> Korea could switch to a “life with Covid-19,” treating the disease
> like “seasonal flu,” provided that the number of seriously ill
> patients was kept under control.
>
> Whether the government can keep up with the Omicron surge well
> enough to make such a shift is still up for debate. This week,
> the United States put South Korea on its “Do Not Travel” list.
> The number of people being treated at home surged from 150,000
> last week to 314,000 on Thursday and is expected to grow.
>
> And so, too, could the number of seriously ill.
>
> Jung Jae-hun, a professor of preventive medicine at Gachon University
> in South Korea, estimated that the daily caseload would peak at over
> 200,000 and stay at that level throughout March. Another estimate,
> by the government’s National Institute for Mathematical Sciences,
> predicted as many as 360,000 new patients a day by early next month.
>
> The authorities are preparing more hospital beds for the seriously
> ill as a precaution. They are also asking neighborhood clinics to
> pitch in to treat at-home patients remotely. Nearly half of the
> workers at government-run health clinics in Gyeonggi Province,
> which surrounds Seoul, called for an immediate relief from the
> “extreme stress” caused by a crushing workload, according to a
> recent survey.
>
> Last week, South Korea retired its GPS monitoring tool used to
> enforce isolation — a smartphone app that alerted health workers
> when patients left home without permission. Many of the 60,000
> workers who monitored those movements on the app will be now
> redeployed to assist vulnerable patients at home, delivering
> medicine and manning hotlines.
>
> “There has been a bottleneck in putting calls through, as we were
> trying to handle a sudden spike in patients,” said Lee Ki-il, a
> senior disease-control coordinator.
>
> The government’s ​changing attitude was not solely influenced by
> data. An increasingly impatient public​ has also become more vocal
> about the need for a new approach.
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/17/world/asia/south-korea-covid-spread.html

At the end of this article, it did not say what the impatient public
has said about what new approach is needed. Surely, the public has good
or even better ideas of putting their new approach to the government,
too. Even so, if the majority of public has already been on feedback,
they should have being done already.

If the public has similar views of new approach, they should have played
their part of doing and working together to contain the spread, too.
Since the spread is not reduced but increased instead, it goes to show
that the people are not working together with themselves from spreading
to each other.

Hence, lifting of masking is going to hurt the people more. Seriously,
there is no need to lift the masking at all. This is because the mask is
very much the first line of defense of the virus, instead.

Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable

<haydnaDPuvRvcrX_nZ2dnUU7-KHNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8542&group=soc.culture.china#8542

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,soc.culture.korean,soc.culture.taiwan,alt.war.vietnam,alt.politics
Subject: Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:20:34 -0600
 by: Byker - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:20 UTC

"kico" wrote in message news:t08uip$od0$1@dont-email.me...

> South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable

Maybe they should trot out the "hand sanitizer kids' like their brothers on
the other side of the DMZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVNGJY3HUQ

Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable

<8868431b-419a-4699-b43d-236fdd58c586n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8543&group=soc.culture.china#8543

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:42:37 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:42 UTC

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 10:20:42 AM UTC-8, Byker wrote:
> "kico" wrote in message news:t08uip$od0$1...@dont-email.me...
> >
> > South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable
> Maybe they should trot out the "hand sanitizer kids' like their brothers on
> the other side of the DMZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVNGJY3HUQ

Awesome.

Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable

<072dnfSB_4WDvLf_nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8548&group=soc.culture.china#8548

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,alt.global-warming,sci.environment,soc.culture.korean,alt.politics
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 10:02:37 -0600
 by: Byker - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:02 UTC

"David P." wrote in message

> When everyone has to wear a mask, that PROVES we're Over-Populated!!
> The mistake was made 50 years ago when the people didn't listen to the
> scientists who called for Zero Population Growth! That's what brought
> about all the crises! If we had stayed at 4 billion, we wouldn't have
> climate change, the refugee crisis, decimation of wildlife, &
> environmental degradation! People thought they could do whatever they
> wanted, and get away with it, and they were wrong!

They just kick the can down the road for the next generation to deal with...

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: South Korea, a Virus Success Story, Now Finds Its Model Unsustainable