From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles.crosswords,rec.puzzles,alt.usage.english
Subject: Swallowing a teaspoon won't paralyse you even if you can't do so (4)
--- Answer: STIR
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 03:16:28 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:16 UTC

David A wrote:

> Came across this one from a 1960s crossword, and I'd appreciate a
little help with the rationale!

> I get the obvious bit, but how does the teaspoon swallowing work?

> Swallowing a teaspoon won't paralyse you even if
you can't do so (4)
> Answer: STIR

You can't STIR with a teaspoon ???

Yes, swallowing a teaspoon could be linked to paralysis in the context
of wordplay or a cryptic crossword clue. Here's why:

Double meaning: "Swallowing a teaspoon" can literally mean putting a
teaspoon in your mouth and swallowing it. However, in wordplay or a
cryptic crossword clue, it can have a secondary meaning.

Paralysis: Paralysis refers to loss of muscle function.

Wordplay: The wordplay might involve a homophone, which is a word
that sounds the same as another word but has a different meaning.

In this case, "teaspoon" could be a homophone for a word related to
paralysis.

Here are some possible interpretations:

"Spoonerism" - A Spoonerism is a type of wordplay where sounds in words
are switched.

"Swallowing a teaspoon" could be a spoonerism of "swallowing a
paralysis," where the "r" and "sp" sounds are switched.

Hidden word: "Teaspoon" might contain another word within it, like
"spleen" (an organ that can be affected by paralysis).

Misdirection: "Swallowing" could be misleading you to think about the
action, while the wordplay hinges on "teaspoon."

Without the full context of the clue, it's difficult to say for sure
what the intended wordplay is. But the connection between swallowing a
teaspoon and paralysis is definitely possible in the realm of wordplay
or cryptic crosswords.