Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all. -- Arthur Balfour

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Long ranger 3 220 v

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Long ranger 3 220 vBill

1
Re: Long ranger 3 220 v

<oDnAL.408687$iU59.360075@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8414&group=rec.woodworking#8414

Subject: Re: Long ranger 3 220 v
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:49:24 -0500
 by: Bill - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 04:49 UTC

On 1/25/2023 6:15 PM, kaspar48@msn.com wrote:
> i have long ranger that stopped working after 10 yrs . no power when i
> press remote but i can hear a click sound in the box after unplugging it
> and plugging it back. not sure if relays are shot but if ID  them  (help
> )  my be they can be fixed or replaced ...new LR3 do not have same
> capacity for HP as old ones which were rated at 3 HP max. I was using it
> with a 3.5 motor. thanks for any help .
> https://www.homeownershub.com/img/2wqu
> https://www.homeownershub.com/img/2wqw
> https://www.homeownershub.com/img/2wqy

I admittedly have little to no expertise with this, but I would check
the "start up" capacitor, if there is one. I believe that you must
physically remove it in order to test it. I paid $60 for a voltmeter
to check capacitors a few years ago (cheaper voltmeters didn't have the
ability to check capacitors--you have to look carefully for this
feature). Or you could simply replace the capacitor and be done with it,
and move on to the next possibility (testing switches? -- again, a
voltmeter might be convenient, but not strictly necessary). Recall
that you don't need to attach high voltage to the motor in to check
"continuity" and that capacitors hold their charge! If necessary, learn
some of the ways to "discharge" a capacitor before you tinker with this.
That's probably the most valuable suggestion that I have to offer.