From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: scarification?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:24:00 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:24 UTC

Hi All,

What is the easiest way to perform "scarification"
on small seeds?

And do you do this before or after performing
stratification (freezing) on them?

Many thanks,
-T

Me thinks a bird eats the berry, his digestive
system scars the seed, he poops out the scarred
seed, the weather freezes for the winter, the
seeds germinated in the spring. But then again,
I do not know what I am doing.

Re: scarification?

<vmj1uj-6hi.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=830&group=rec.gardens.edible#830

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: scarification?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:14:07 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:14 UTC

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What is the easiest way to perform "scarification"
> on small seeds?

how small?

sometimes such is provided by the environment
via erosion/washing around and being abraded by
hard things.

so pehaps you could put the seeds in a container
with some sand and small pebbles and shake it a
little.

if you have a lot of seeds you could break them
into batches and apply different methods for
different lengths of time to find out which one
works best.

> And do you do this before or after performing
> stratification (freezing) on them?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> Me thinks a bird eats the berry, his digestive
> system scars the seed, he poops out the scarred
> seed, the weather freezes for the winter, the
> seeds germinated in the spring. But then again,
> I do not know what I am doing.

we all have to start somewhere.

songbird

Re: scarification?

<uemarp$nv6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=831&group=rec.gardens.edible#831

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 02:24:09 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:24 UTC

On 9/22/23 16:14, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What is the easiest way to perform "scarification"
>> on small seeds?
>
> how small?
>
> sometimes such is provided by the environment
> via erosion/washing around and being abraded by
> hard things.
>
> so pehaps you could put the seeds in a container
> with some sand and small pebbles and shake it a
> little.
>
> if you have a lot of seeds you could break them
> into batches and apply different methods for
> different lengths of time to find out which one
> works best.
>

>> And do you do this before or after performing
>> stratification (freezing) on them?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
>> Me thinks a bird eats the berry, his digestive
>> system scars the seed, he poops out the scarred
>> seed, the weather freezes for the winter, the
>> seeds germinated in the spring. But then again,
>> I do not know what I am doing.
>
> we all have to start somewhere.
>

> songbird

30 bilberry seeds. I'd posit they are about
the size of blueberry seeds or maybe onion seeds.
They are small, but I do not have them in
hand yet.

I like your idea of the rocks! Got lots
of clean, pretty, small round ones.

Do I freeze the first? Or ruff them up them first?