From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: favorite [...Effect] or [...Bias] in Social or Cognitive Psychology?
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:12:06 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:12 UTC

What is your favorite [...Effect] or [...Bias]
in Social or Cognitive Psychology?

My #1 fav. may be:

[Fundamental attribution error], also known as correspondence
bias or attribution effect, is a cognitive attribution bias where
observers underemphasize situational and environmental factors for the
behavior of an actor while overemphasizing dispositional or personality
factors. (Wikipedia)

_______________What is a [.... Effect] term related to the following?

Confirmation bias: This is the tendency to seek out or interpret
information in a way that confirms one's existing beliefs, even if the
evidence is weak or incomplete. In this case, people with confirmation
bias might focus on the few data points that support their theory and
ignore or downplay anything that contradicts it.

Availability heuristic: This describes the mental shortcut
where people favor information that is readily available in their memory
when making judgments. This can lead to forming theories based on easily
recalled examples, even if they aren't representative of the wider picture.

Anchoring bias: This is the tendency to rely too heavily on
the first piece of information encountered when making decisions. People
with an anchoring bias might use the initial data points they encounter
as the foundation for their theory, neglecting to consider alternative
possibilities.

French [on] --and-- One_(pronoun)#Royal_one

<6a3e50763d033b9d672899bbc6982a6c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=825&group=rec.puzzles#825

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 01:59:11 +0000
Subject: French [on] --and-- One_(pronoun)#Royal_one
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 01:59 UTC

in French, [on] often means "we"

--- is this linked to One_(pronoun)#Royal_one ?

___________________________

Even anti-monarchists must admit that a stop-motion-animated Queen Elizabeth as the spokesruler for BBC America on DirecTV is simply smashing. In two :30s, she royally defends the various complaints about her country.

"They say one's cows are mad. A diabolical slur," she informs us, as animated cows dance madly in the background. The next scene shows her in a dentist's office.

"They say one's dentistry is diabolical." She glances back to the bloody mess of a man's mouth in the chair.

"Looks fine to me. But the one thing they say that is bang-on is one's television is brilliant."

After a VO describes the service, she finishes with, "One wants one's BBC." One also wants more of this campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_(pronoun)#Royal_one

Monarchs, people of higher classes, and today particularly Queen Elizabeth II, are often depicted as using one as a first-person pronoun. This is frequently done as a form of caricature.[3]

For example, the headline "One is not amused"[4] is attributed humorously to her, implicitly making reference to Queen Victoria's supposed statement "We are not amused", containing instead the royal we.

Another example, near the end of 1992, which was a difficult year for the British royal family, as the Queen famously quipped "Annus horribilis", the tabloid newspaper The Sun published a headline, "One's Bum Year!"

Re: French [on] --and-- One_(pronoun)#Royal_one

<bcafbe7ba866681ee2aec48aec92723d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=826&group=rec.puzzles#826

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 02:03:55 +0000
Subject: Re: French [on] --and-- One_(pronoun)#Royal_one
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 02:03 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

> in French, [on] often means "we"

> --- is this linked to One_(pronoun)#Royal_one ?

> ___________________________

> Even anti-monarchists must admit that a stop-motion-animated Queen Elizabeth as the spokesruler for BBC America on DirecTV is simply smashing. In two :30s, she royally defends the various complaints about her country.

> "They say one's cows are mad. A diabolical slur," she informs us, as animated cows dance madly in the background. The next scene shows her in a dentist's office.

> "They say one's dentistry is diabolical." She glances back to the bloody mess of a man's mouth in the chair.

> "Looks fine to me. But the one thing they say that is bang-on is one's television is brilliant."

> After a VO describes the service, she finishes with, "One wants one's BBC." One also wants more of this campaign.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_(pronoun)#Royal_one

> Monarchs, people of higher classes, and today particularly Queen Elizabeth II, are often depicted as using one as a first-person pronoun. This is frequently done as a form of caricature.[3]

> For example, the headline "One is not amused"[4] is attributed humorously to her, implicitly making reference to Queen Victoria's supposed statement "We are not amused", containing instead the royal we.

> Another example, near the end of 1992, which was a difficult year for the British royal family, as the Queen famously quipped "Annus horribilis", the tabloid newspaper The Sun published a headline, "One's Bum Year!"

iirc... for the 1st SH (Sherlock Holmes) movie with Robert Downey, Jr...

the trailer ended with... Downey, Jr saying:

[Then one doesn't have any time to waste, does one?]

----------- i think this was a humorous, exaggerated British-ism.