Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:44:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Are_universities_in_mainland_China_indeed_rising_to_
challenge_the_top_Western_universities_such_as_Oxford,_Cambr
idge,_NYU,_MIT,_etc.?_If_so,_why_aren’t_the_best_PhD/DPhil
_students_and_faculty_around_the_world_flocking_to_Chinese_u
niversities?
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:44 UTC

Brett
·
Follow
B.S. in Computer Science, Washington University in St. Louis18h
Are universities in mainland China indeed rising to challenge the top Western universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, NYU, MIT, etc.? If so, why aren’t the best PhD/DPhil students and faculty around the world flocking to Chinese universities?
I went to Washington University in St. Louis for undergrad. While I was there, it was ranked 11 in the US. Not top university, but it's not shabby.

I'm now studying at Zhejiang University, which is rank 3 in China. Again not top university, but it's not shabby.

Oh god, the quality of students here at ZJU is just insane. The curriculum here isn't as intense, but they have such solid foundations coming in that I'm genuinely scared for the US. The only issue for Chinese students is thinking outside of the box, but frankly US students have deep trouble thinking inside the box.

It's just a matter of time before the reputation follows the talent. I know exactly how that looks; that's exactly where WUSTL sits in US academia as well. Until then, China is basically powerplaying under stealth. Underestimate China's brilliant graduates at your own peril.

Side note, the reason why there isn't a lot of flocking to Chinese universities is because most degree programs are taught in Chinese, including mine (CS masters).

interests / soc.culture.china / Are universities in mainland China indeed rising to challenge the top Western universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, NYU, MIT, etc.? If so, why aren’t the best PhD/DPhil students and faculty around the world flocking to Chinese universities?