From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Rutabagas
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:10:15 -0400
 by: Wilson - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:10 UTC

We had a store-bought yellow waxed Rutabaga that sat on the shelf long
enough to sprout. So we cut the top off, rooted it in some water and planted
it in the garden.

Today, I cut the seeded tops off (new growth has begun to bloom again) and
took seeds from the pods. I'm very curious to see what grew underground.
Has anybody else done this and do they grow true or are they hybrids? Does
anyone know what variety the store-bought ones are?

I've been eating what I thought were turnips for years until I found out
they are Rutabagas and that the white purple-topped turnips, I don't really
like. They are bitter.

Re: Rutabagas

<hgi5rj-7gd.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=792&group=rec.gardens.edible#792

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Rutabagas
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:29:21 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 01:29 UTC

Wilson wrote:

> We had a store-bought yellow waxed Rutabaga that sat on the shelf long
> enough to sprout. So we cut the top off, rooted it in some water and planted
> it in the garden.
>
> Today, I cut the seeded tops off (new growth has begun to bloom again) and
> took seeds from the pods. I'm very curious to see what grew underground.
> Has anybody else done this and do they grow true or are they hybrids? Does
> anyone know what variety the store-bought ones are?

i've not ever seen any other name than rutabaga or swede
but i also admit i've not looked.

> I've been eating what I thought were turnips for years until I found out
> they are Rutabagas and that the white purple-topped turnips, I don't really
> like. They are bitter.

i think they'll remain true enough but it would also
depend upon what other brassicas you grow around them as
then you may get some odd crosses happening.

different people have different taste buds as i do not
find the purple topped turnips bitter any more than a
cabbage, broccoli, or ...

i've grown both and found i liked either, but the
purple topped did better.

songbird

Re: Rutabagas

<a83951d5-f51e-eed1-f297-9317a6b4c8ba@nearyou.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=794&group=rec.gardens.edible#794

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:40:08 -0400
 by: Wilson - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:40 UTC

On 8/18/2023 9:29 PM, songbird wrote:
> Wilson wrote:
>
>> We had a store-bought yellow waxed Rutabaga that sat on the shelf long
>> enough to sprout. So we cut the top off, rooted it in some water and planted
>> it in the garden.
>>
>> Today, I cut the seeded tops off (new growth has begun to bloom again) and
>> took seeds from the pods. I'm very curious to see what grew underground.
>> Has anybody else done this and do they grow true or are they hybrids? Does
>> anyone know what variety the store-bought ones are?
>
> i've not ever seen any other name than rutabaga or swede
> but i also admit i've not looked.
>

>> I've been eating what I thought were turnips for years until I found out
>> they are Rutabagas and that the white purple-topped turnips, I don't really
>> like. They are bitter.
>
> i think they'll remain true enough but it would also
> depend upon what other brassicas you grow around them as
> then you may get some odd crosses happening.
>
> different people have different taste buds as i do not
> find the purple topped turnips bitter any more than a
> cabbage, broccoli, or ...
>
> i've grown both and found i liked either, but the
> purple topped did better.
>

> songbird
Thanks. I have no other brassicas. It was just an experiment and next year
I'll have more answers to my questions.
But, in truth, I probably only use them once a year in my St. Patrick's Day
boiled dinner!