From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Curious
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:25:48 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 01:25 UTC

Harvey sent me (and everyone, I suspect) a flyer for their turbine
dust collector. It's interesting so I looked at competitive dust
collectors. There are performance differences and it's not easy to
compare one against another (intentionally, I'm sure).

They all look pretty weird but the thing that really stood out was the
current specifications for the Laguna dust collector motors.

For 100% efficiency, Laguna, Jet, Grizzly, and a reference motor
manufacturer (Harvey was 3-phase, so not worth looking further)

HP 100% Laguna Jet Grizzly Reference
eff. (motor Manf)
1.5HP 4.9 9.4A 14A 7.5A 6A
2.0HP 6.5 14A 8.3A 9A 6.8A
3.0HP 9.8 22A 13A 15A 9.6A

Grizzly made sense but the others are odd, really odd.

Re: Curious

<2YmcnR87EuagQrz-nZ2dnZfqn_Vg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7890&group=rec.woodworking#7890

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:03:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Curious
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:03 UTC

On 9/13/2022 8:25 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:

> Harvey sent me (and everyone, I suspect) a flyer for their turbine
> dust collector. It's interesting so I looked at competitive dust
> collectors. There are performance differences and it's not easy to
> compare one against another (intentionally, I'm sure).
>
> They all look pretty weird but the thing that really stood out was the
> current specifications for the Laguna dust collector motors.
>
> For 100% efficiency, Laguna, Jet, Grizzly, and a reference motor
> manufacturer (Harvey was 3-phase, so not worth looking further)
>
> HP 100% Laguna Jet Grizzly Reference
> eff. (motor Manf)
> 1.5HP 4.9 9.4A 14A 7.5A 6A
> 2.0HP 6.5 14A 8.3A 9A 6.8A
> 3.0HP 9.8 22A 13A 15A 9.6A
>
> Grizzly made sense but the others are odd, really odd.

I have seen some of the reviews of the Harvey DC after the reviewers
have had it for a year.

In general it is OK. The biggest feature brought to light is that most
"new" reviewers claim how quiet it operates. But if you actually want
it to have suction equal to the competition, you have to turn up the
suction and it is no longer quiet.

IMHO it has way too large of a foot print.

Re: Curious

<WrlUK.12701$C8y5.7264@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7891&group=rec.woodworking#7891

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:21:42 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:21 UTC

krw@notreal.com writes:

>Harvey sent me (and everyone, I suspect) a flyer for their turbine
>dust collector. It's interesting so I looked at competitive dust
>collectors. There are performance differences and it's not easy to
>compare one against another (intentionally, I'm sure).
>
>They all look pretty weird but the thing that really stood out was the
>current specifications for the Laguna dust collector motors.
>
>For 100% efficiency, Laguna, Jet, Grizzly, and a reference motor
>manufacturer (Harvey was 3-phase, so not worth looking further)
>
>HP 100% Laguna Jet Grizzly Reference
> eff. (motor Manf)
>1.5HP 4.9 9.4A 14A 7.5A 6A
>2.0HP 6.5 14A 8.3A 9A 6.8A
>3.0HP 9.8 22A 13A 15A 9.6A
>
>Grizzly made sense but the others are odd, really odd.

Laguna usually measures in KW, not amps (which makes sense,
since the current varies based on the voltage, but power
consumption in KW is constant regardless of supply voltage).

2.2kW is about 3HP. 1.4KW is about 2HP.

Re: Curious

<fvh4ihhdjsuglrh2jn48hbho95jfpt12oa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7892&group=rec.woodworking#7892

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:53:28 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:53 UTC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:21:42 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>krw@notreal.com writes:
>>
>>Harvey sent me (and everyone, I suspect) a flyer for their turbine
>>dust collector. It's interesting so I looked at competitive dust
>>collectors. There are performance differences and it's not easy to
>>compare one against another (intentionally, I'm sure).
>>
>>They all look pretty weird but the thing that really stood out was the
>>current specifications for the Laguna dust collector motors.
>>
>>For 100% efficiency, Laguna, Jet, Grizzly, and a reference motor
>>manufacturer (Harvey was 3-phase, so not worth looking further)
>>
>>HP 100% Laguna Jet Grizzly Reference
>> eff. (motor Manf)
>>1.5HP 4.9 9.4A 14A 7.5A 6A
>>2.0HP 6.5 14A 8.3A 9A 6.8A
>>3.0HP 9.8 22A 13A 15A 9.6A
>>
>>Grizzly made sense but the others are odd, really odd.
>
>Laguna usually measures in KW, not amps (which makes sense,
>since the current varies based on the voltage, but power
>consumption in KW is constant regardless of supply voltage).
>
>2.2kW is about 3HP. 1.4KW is about 2HP.

OK, 2.2kW is 9.6A at 230V (what the motor manufacturer specs), not
22A, as Laguna states. The Laguna manual states 20A at 220V (4.8kW)
and requires a 30A circuit.

Specification for both 2HP and 3HP versions:
<https://lagunatools.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CFlux_2_CFlux_3_Manual_021522.pdf>

Re: Curious

<KasUK.12707$C8y5.12300@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7893&group=rec.woodworking#7893

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:01:14 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:01 UTC

krw@notreal.com writes:
>On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:21:42 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>wrote:
>
>>krw@notreal.com writes:
>>>
>>>Harvey sent me (and everyone, I suspect) a flyer for their turbine
>>>dust collector. It's interesting so I looked at competitive dust
>>>collectors. There are performance differences and it's not easy to
>>>compare one against another (intentionally, I'm sure).
>>>
>>>They all look pretty weird but the thing that really stood out was the
>>>current specifications for the Laguna dust collector motors.
>>>
>>>For 100% efficiency, Laguna, Jet, Grizzly, and a reference motor
>>>manufacturer (Harvey was 3-phase, so not worth looking further)
>>>
>>>HP 100% Laguna Jet Grizzly Reference
>>> eff. (motor Manf)
>>>1.5HP 4.9 9.4A 14A 7.5A 6A
>>>2.0HP 6.5 14A 8.3A 9A 6.8A
>>>3.0HP 9.8 22A 13A 15A 9.6A
>>>
>>>Grizzly made sense but the others are odd, really odd.
>>
>>Laguna usually measures in KW, not amps (which makes sense,
>>since the current varies based on the voltage, but power
>>consumption in KW is constant regardless of supply voltage).
>>
>>2.2kW is about 3HP. 1.4KW is about 2HP.
>
>OK, 2.2kW is 9.6A at 230V (what the motor manufacturer specs), not
>22A, as Laguna states. The Laguna manual states 20A at 220V (4.8kW)
>and requires a 30A circuit.
>
>Specification for both 2HP and 3HP versions:
><https://lagunatools.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CFlux_2_CFlux_3_Manual_021522.pdf>

I suspect someone confused 2.2KW with 22A somewhere, likewise 1.4KW with 14A;
perhaps a translation error along the way somewhere.

Re: Curious

<8fo4ih1jjlbd9j72j3mbbv11eul1telqsm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7894&group=rec.woodworking#7894

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:24:57 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 23:24 UTC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:01:14 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>krw@notreal.com writes:
>>On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 14:21:42 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>>wrote:

>>>Laguna usually measures in KW, not amps (which makes sense,
>>>since the current varies based on the voltage, but power
>>>consumption in KW is constant regardless of supply voltage).
>>>
>>>2.2kW is about 3HP. 1.4KW is about 2HP.
>>
>>OK, 2.2kW is 9.6A at 230V (what the motor manufacturer specs), not
>>22A, as Laguna states. The Laguna manual states 20A at 220V (4.8kW)
>>and requires a 30A circuit.
>>
>>Specification for both 2HP and 3HP versions:
>><https://lagunatools.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CFlux_2_CFlux_3_Manual_021522.pdf>
>
>I suspect someone confused 2.2KW with 22A somewhere, likewise 1.4KW with 14A;
>perhaps a translation error along the way somewhere.

That's a better explanation that I could come up with (Chinglish) but
why the 30A circuit. Extrapolated bad translation? If I were really
interested in a new DC (maybe but not all that likely soon) I'd call
and ask. I just found it inexplicable.