We'll cross that bridge when we come back to it later.

interests / soc.culture.china / USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

SubjectAuthor
* USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountA. Filip
`* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountltlee1
 `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountbmoore
  +* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountA. Filip
  |+- Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountltlee1
  |`* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountbmoore
  | `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountRusty Wyse
  |  `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountbmoore
  |   `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountRusty Wyse
  |    `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountbmoore
  |     `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountRusty Wyse
  |      `- Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountbmoore
  `* Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountltlee1
   `- Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman accountbmoore

1
USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<anfi+r7wwaycwvf-m120@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7820&group=soc.culture.china#7820

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 18:21:29 +0000 (UTC)
sha1:W7Gc1L11XRUhm2IVZaGQavUJqTg=
 by: A. Filip - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:21 UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/technology/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter.html
<quote>
Twitter Permanently Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Account
The social media service said the Republican congresswoman had violated
its policy on coronavirus misinformation.
; Jan. 2, 2022 Updated 12:41 p.m. ET

Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of
Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, […]

Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday,
falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She
included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government
database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event
Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on
self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.

Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her
account will not be restored. […]
</quote>

Long live freedom of (*correct*) speech! ;-)
Court isn't needed to punish in US Twitterland, is it?

It could not happen in PRC! ;-)

--
A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.
| If you laid all of our laws end to end, there would be no end.
| (Mark Twain)

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<282e20da-a07a-4625-933c-3463b9f70192n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7837&group=soc.culture.china#7837

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:22:14 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:22 UTC

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 6:22:18 PM UTC, A. Filip wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/technology/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter.html
> <quote>
> Twitter Permanently Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Account
> The social media service said the Republican congresswoman had violated
> its policy on coronavirus misinformation.
> ; Jan. 2, 2022 Updated 12:41 p.m. ET
>
> Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of
> Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, […]
>
> Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday,
> falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She
> included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government
> database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event
> Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on
> self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.
>
> Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her
> account will not be restored. […]
> </quote>
>
> Long live freedom of (*correct*) speech! ;-)
> Court isn't needed to punish in US Twitterland, is it?
>
> It could not happen in PRC! ;-)
>
> --
> A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.
> | If you laid all of our laws end to end, there would be no end.
> | (Mark Twain)

Not unexpected.
All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech."
In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<a14f31c2-b4d5-4b0b-8156-af1e3089f4d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7844&group=soc.culture.china#7844

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:33:03 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 01:33 UTC

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 1:22:15 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 6:22:18 PM UTC, A. Filip wrote:
> > https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/technology/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter.html
> > <quote>
> > Twitter Permanently Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Account
> > The social media service said the Republican congresswoman had violated
> > its policy on coronavirus misinformation.
> > ; Jan. 2, 2022 Updated 12:41 p.m. ET
> >
> > Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of
> > Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, […]
> >
> > Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday,
> > falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She
> > included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government
> > database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event
> > Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on
> > self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.
> >
> > Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her
> > account will not be restored. […]
> > </quote>
> >
> > Long live freedom of (*correct*) speech! ;-)
> > Court isn't needed to punish in US Twitterland, is it?
> >
> > It could not happen in PRC! ;-)
> >
> > --
> > A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.
> > | If you laid all of our laws end to end, there would be no end.
> > | (Mark Twain)
> Not unexpected.
> All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech."
> In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."

A complete misunderstanding of the situation.

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<anfi+i2ysnukbjf-m131@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7845&group=soc.culture.china#7845

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 02:38:51 +0000 (UTC)
sha1:bXa6pvDJo8FTBjABnb9NPyTvBEk=
 by: A. Filip - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 02:38 UTC

bmoore <bmoore@nyx.net> wrote:
> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 1:22:15 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 6:22:18 PM UTC, A. Filip wrote:
>> > https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/technology/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter.html
>> > <quote>
>> > Twitter Permanently Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Account
>> > The social media service said the Republican congresswoman had violated
>> > its policy on coronavirus misinformation.
>> > ; Jan. 2, 2022 Updated 12:41 p.m. ET
>> >
>> > Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of
>> > Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, […]
>> >
>> > Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday,
>> > falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She
>> > included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government
>> > database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event
>> > Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on
>> > self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.
>> >
>> > Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her
>> > account will not be restored. […]
>> > </quote>
>> >
>> > Long live freedom of (*correct*) speech! ;-)
>> > Court isn't needed to punish in US Twitterland, is it?
>> >
>> > It could not happen in PRC! ;-)
>>
>> Not unexpected.
>> All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech."
>> In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."
>
> A complete misunderstanding of the situation.

Is it (more likely) misunderstanding or misrepresentation?
"True but misleading description" fits better IMHO :-)

--
A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.
| Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse. (Arthur Baer)

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<b3b9e2c7-578b-47fe-8c06-ef401fb5f7d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7846&group=soc.culture.china#7846

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:48:09 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 03:48 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 1:33:05 AM UTC, bmoore wrote:
> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 1:22:15 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 6:22:18 PM UTC, A. Filip wrote:
> > > https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/technology/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter.html
> > > <quote>
> > > Twitter Permanently Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Account
> > > The social media service said the Republican congresswoman had violated
> > > its policy on coronavirus misinformation.
> > > ; Jan. 2, 2022 Updated 12:41 p.m. ET
> > >
> > > Twitter on Sunday permanently suspended the personal account of
> > > Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican of Georgia, […]
> > >
> > > Twitter suspended Ms. Greene’s account after she tweeted on Saturday,
> > > falsely, about “extremely high amounts of Covid vaccine deaths.” She
> > > included a misleading chart that pulled information from a government
> > > database of unverified raw data called the Vaccine Adverse Event
> > > Reporting System, or VAERS, a decades-old system that relies on
> > > self-reported cases from patients and health care providers.
> > >
> > > Twitter said that Ms. Greene had a fifth “strike,” which meant that her
> > > account will not be restored. […]
> > > </quote>
> > >
> > > Long live freedom of (*correct*) speech! ;-)
> > > Court isn't needed to punish in US Twitterland, is it?
> > >
> > > It could not happen in PRC! ;-)
> > >
> > > --
> > > A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.
> > Not unexpected.
> > All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech.."
> > In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."
> A complete misunderstanding of the situation.

No Misunderstanding.

Culture is about solving a society/nation's problems. Soft power means
a country had successfully solve many problems and it is likely to have
the institution to solve unforeseen problems for their citizens as well
citizens of other nations. And of course, a powerful and still rising power
would have less problem in gaining the trust of the people.

Trust means speech contradicting the authority would have a lot less
followers. If less intelligent people are misled, the society still could
have ways to save them. A lot of ground for "free but potentially harmful
speech."

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<61f6851f-c3d6-47e2-aa88-7453217052cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7847&group=soc.culture.china#7847

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:56:48 -0800 (PST)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 03:56 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 2:38:54 AM UTC, A. Filip wrote:
> bmoore <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:

May be you should distinguish could not happen in PRC because the people
trust the government. And could not happen in PRC because the people fear
the government. Do you simply assume the later withing doubt thinking?

> >> Not unexpected.
> >> All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech."
> >> In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."
> >
> > A complete misunderstanding of the situation.
> Is it (more likely) misunderstanding or misrepresentation?
> "True but misleading description" fits better IMHO :-)

Please elaborate.
> --
> A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.
> | Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse. (Arthur Baer)

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<9e70ea3b-38f7-4e47-8417-fb4155eecd6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7912&group=soc.culture.china#7912

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:58:39 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:58 UTC

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 7:48:10 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 1:33:05 AM UTC, bmoore wrote:

> > > Not unexpected.
> > > All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech."
> > > In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."
> > A complete misunderstanding of the situation.
> No Misunderstanding.
>
> Culture is about solving a society/nation's problems. Soft power means
> a country had successfully solve many problems and it is likely to have
> the institution to solve unforeseen problems for their citizens as well
> citizens of other nations. And of course, a powerful and still rising power
> would have less problem in gaining the trust of the people.
>
> Trust means speech contradicting the authority would have a lot less
> followers. If less intelligent people are misled, the society still could
> have ways to save them. A lot of ground for "free but potentially harmful
> speech."

I usually resist replying to your trolling, but... the Chinese police threaten the families of overseas critics and you won't admit it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/31/business/china-internet-police-twitter.html?searchResultPosition=1

A Digital Manhunt: How Chinese Police Track Critics on Twitter and Facebook
Authorities in China have turned to sophisticated investigative software to track and silence obscure critics on overseas social media. Their targets include college students and non-Chinese nationals.

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<d258af59-1b5a-414a-849c-6f4c351e9c2fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7962&group=soc.culture.china#7962

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:13:01 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:13 UTC

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 6:38:54 PM UTC-8, A. Filip wrote:
> bmoore <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:

> >> Not unexpected.
> >> All other things equal, a rising power tends to allow more "free speech."
> >> In contrast, a declining power tends to allow less "free speech."
> >
> > A complete misunderstanding of the situation.
> Is it (more likely) misunderstanding or misrepresentation?
> "True but misleading description" fits better IMHO :-)

Agreed.

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<3b5a43c0-b933-48ca-aa8e-375721e05159n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7966&group=soc.culture.china#7966

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:27:37 -0800 (PST)
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:27 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 9:13:03 AM UTC-8, bmoore wrote:
> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 6:38:54 PM UTC-8, A. Filip wrote:
> > bmoore <bmo...@nyx.net> wrote:

> > > A complete misunderstanding of the situation.
> > Is it (more likely) misunderstanding or misrepresentation?
> > "True but misleading description" fits better IMHO :-)
> Agreed.

So...
Is the U.S. getting to be like China???
or
China is just like the U.S.????

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<c2137f78-48e4-4583-b578-65920934d400n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7967&group=soc.culture.china#7967

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:54:33 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:54 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 10:27:38 AM UTC-8, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 9:13:03 AM UTC-8, bmoore wrote:

> > > Is it (more likely) misunderstanding or misrepresentation?
> > > "True but misleading description" fits better IMHO :-)
> > Agreed.
> So...
> Is the U.S. getting to be like China???
> or
> China is just like the U.S.????

I dunno. But I just found out that the sim cards for iPhones and Androids are interchangeable!

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<9dfc557f-cad7-4ccc-bf6f-65680f012119n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7968&group=soc.culture.china#7968

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:20:17 -0800 (PST)
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 19:20 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 10:54:35 AM UTC-8, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 10:27:38 AM UTC-8, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Agreed.
> > So...
> > Is the U.S. getting to be like China???
> > or
> > China is just like the U.S.????
> I dunno. But I just found out that the sim cards for iPhones and Androids are interchangeable!

You should buy a Huawei phone!!! They are all interchangeable and better!!!!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=huawei+phones&form=ANNTH1&refig=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb&sp=2&qs=SC&pq=huaei&sk=PRES1SC1&sc=8-5&cvid=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<e754880e-9dcc-46cb-bf8b-74b288ad001an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7976&group=soc.culture.china#7976

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:56:36 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:56 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 11:20:19 AM UTC-8, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 10:54:35 AM UTC-8, bmoore wrote:

> > > So...
> > > Is the U.S. getting to be like China???
> > > or
> > > China is just like the U.S.????
> > I dunno. But I just found out that the sim cards for iPhones and Androids are interchangeable!
> You should buy a Huawei phone!!! They are all interchangeable and better!!!!
> https://www.bing.com/search?q=huawei+phones&form=ANNTH1&refig=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb&sp=2&qs=SC&pq=huaei&sk=PRES1SC1&sc=8-5&cvid=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb

Is that what you have?

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<1fb1962e-233e-4a30-aedd-39f832855239n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7987&group=soc.culture.china#7987

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:06:59 -0800 (PST)
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:06 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 1:56:38 PM UTC-8, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 11:20:19 AM UTC-8, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I dunno. But I just found out that the sim cards for iPhones and Androids are interchangeable!
> > You should buy a Huawei phone!!! They are all interchangeable and better!!!!
> > https://www.bing.com/search?q=huawei+phones&form=ANNTH1&refig=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb&sp=2&qs=SC&pq=huaei&sk=PRES1SC1&sc=8-5&cvid=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb
> Is that what you have?

No, I'm using the ole' black AT&T table-top phone of the 1960s model type....
I'm a hermit, remember? The only companion I have is my TV. My only contact to the outside is my computer... The only time I see the sun is when I take my dog out for a walk...

Re: USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account

<4d6fbb72-946c-49aa-b35e-ef3e4f7063f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8033&group=soc.culture.china#8033

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:00:41 -0800 (PST)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:00 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 10:07:03 AM UTC-8, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 1:56:38 PM UTC-8, bmoore wrote:

> > > You should buy a Huawei phone!!! They are all interchangeable and better!!!!
> > > https://www.bing.com/search?q=huawei+phones&form=ANNTH1&refig=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb&sp=2&qs=SC&pq=huaei&sk=PRES1SC1&sc=8-5&cvid=3d6759f8a784485a93dcc5a203599ddb
> > Is that what you have?
> No, I'm using the ole' black AT&T table-top phone of the 1960s model type....
> I'm a hermit, remember? The only companion I have is my TV. My only contact to the outside is my computer... The only time I see the sun is when I take my dog out for a walk...

Interesting...

interests / soc.culture.china / USA: Twitter censors terminate a republican congresswoman account