He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book. -- B. Franklin

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: rail/track saw options

SubjectAuthor
* Re: rail/track saw optionsLeon
`* Re: rail/track saw optionsDan Lawson
 `* Re: rail/track saw optionskrw
  `* Re: rail/track saw optionsLeon
   +* Re: rail/track saw optionsDerbyDad03
   |`- Re: rail/track saw optionsLeon
   `* Re: rail/track saw optionskrw
    `- Re: rail/track saw optionsLeon

1
Re: rail/track saw options

<ffednYb3nupcfW7_nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7579&group=rec.woodworking#7579

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 11:46:53 -0500
Subject: Re: rail/track saw options
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 16:46 UTC

On 8/9/2022 6:15 PM, Alex B wrote:
> I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is
> the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution  R185CCSX+ as it seems to
> be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost
> £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to
> be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and
> get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap,
> but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250
> mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?

Check YouTube for reviews.

BUT I do not trust reviews that are made a few weeks/months after the
purchase. I trust reviews after the product has been used 2+ years.

But,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj5e4e1XRU

Re: rail/track saw options

<22ddf647-c1b4-49a2-8faf-da9fe7704fben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7771&group=rec.woodworking#7771

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 05:06:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: danbio...@gmail.com (Dan Lawson)
 by: Dan Lawson - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 12:06 UTC

On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 12:47:03 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 8/9/2022 6:15 PM, Alex B wrote:
> > I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is
> > the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution R185CCSX+ as it seems to
> > be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost
> > £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to
> > be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and
> > get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap,
> > but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250
> > mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?
> >
> Check YouTube for reviews.
>
> BUT I do not trust reviews that are made a few weeks/months after the
> purchase. I trust reviews after the product has been used 2+ years.
>

> But,
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj5e4e1XRU
I bought a Grizzly track saw and it worked well (building cabinets) for the price.

Re: rail/track saw options

<r6jhghp9rosh808r8i6qdsou8f5olbctvj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7773&group=rec.woodworking#7773

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 09:39:45 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 13:39 UTC

On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 05:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Dan Lawson
<danbiosci@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 12:47:03 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> On 8/9/2022 6:15 PM, Alex B wrote:
>> > I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is
>> > the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution R185CCSX+ as it seems to
>> > be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost
>> > £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to
>> > be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and
>> > get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap,
>> > but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250
>> > mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?
>> >
>> Check YouTube for reviews.
>>
>> BUT I do not trust reviews that are made a few weeks/months after the
>> purchase. I trust reviews after the product has been used 2+ years.
>>

>> But,
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj5e4e1XRU
>
>I bought a Grizzly track saw and it worked well (building cabinets) for the price.

It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
at one time?

Re: rail/track saw options

<J5ucnfUgvOnPb5X-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7775&group=rec.woodworking#7775

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:18:26 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:18 UTC

On 8/26/2022 8:39 AM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 05:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Dan Lawson
> <danbiosci@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Check YouTube for reviews.
>>>
>>> BUT I do not trust reviews that are made a few weeks/months after the
>>> purchase. I trust reviews after the product has been used 2+ years.
>>>

>>> But,
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj5e4e1XRU
>>
>> I bought a Grizzly track saw and it worked well (building cabinets) for the price.
>
> It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
> at one time?

IIRC Grizzly had a track saw before Kreg.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-6-1-4-track-saw-master-pack/t25552

BUT apparently it now discontinued and other brands have replace the
Grizzly brand.

Re: rail/track saw options

<a2c27bb3-78a7-40fc-99aa-67175a96a0a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7778&group=rec.woodworking#7778

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:08:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:08 UTC

On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 12:18:35 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 8/26/2022 8:39 AM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 05:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Dan Lawson
> > <danb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I bought a Grizzly track saw and it worked well (building cabinets) for the price.
> >
> > It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
> > at one time?
> >
> IIRC Grizzly had a track saw before Kreg.
>
> https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-6-1-4-track-saw-master-pack/t25552
>

> BUT apparently it now discontinued and other brands have replace the
> Grizzly brand.

One would think (that one being me) that if they had the forethought and resources
to update that page with "Discontinued" notices, they could have easily added a path
to other options.

It wouldn't even have to be product specific. Just a link that uses their own
search engine would be helpful. Draw the customer in by making it simple.

"Click _here_ for other options" where _here_ resolves to:

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=trac+saw

Re: rail/track saw options

<9ladnWouSv0nipT-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7783&group=rec.woodworking#7783

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 13:58:02 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:58 UTC

On 8/26/2022 1:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 12:18:35 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> On 8/26/2022 8:39 AM, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>>> It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
>>> at one time?
>>>
>> IIRC Grizzly had a track saw before Kreg.
>>
>> https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-6-1-4-track-saw-master-pack/t25552
>>

>> BUT apparently it now discontinued and other brands have replace the
>> Grizzly brand.
>
> One would think (that one being me) that if they had the forethought and resources
> to update that page with "Discontinued" notices, they could have easily added a path
> to other options.
>
> It wouldn't even have to be product specific. Just a link that uses their own
> search engine would be helpful. Draw the customer in by making it simple.
>
> "Click _here_ for other options" where _here_ resolves to:
>
> https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=trac+saw

They are not Festool. ;~)

Re: rail/track saw options

<pi1jghha8m0lap2pvl1qne5jd4vc1v3irr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7788&group=rec.woodworking#7788

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:51:10 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 02:51 UTC

On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:18:26 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 8/26/2022 8:39 AM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 05:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Dan Lawson
>> <danbiosci@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I bought a Grizzly track saw and it worked well (building cabinets) for the price.
>>
>> It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
>> at one time?
>>

>IIRC Grizzly had a track saw before Kreg.
>
>https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-6-1-4-track-saw-master-pack/t25552
>

>BUT apparently it now discontinued and other brands have replace the
>Grizzly brand.

That looks a lot like the Kreg. Is it just a different color?

Re: rail/track saw options

<sRKdnZjtcv1k3Jf-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7792&group=rec.woodworking#7792

Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:10:33 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 16:10 UTC

On 8/26/2022 9:51 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:18:26 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/2022 8:39 AM, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>>> It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
>>> at one time?
>>>

>> IIRC Grizzly had a track saw before Kreg.
>>
>> https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-6-1-4-track-saw-master-pack/t25552
>>

>> BUT apparently it now discontinued and other brands have replace the
>> Grizzly brand.
>
> That looks a lot like the Kreg. Is it just a different color?

It is a Kreg.