From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Subject: GG feature i'll miss : [Subscribe to Thread]
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:20:09 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:20 UTC

one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]

once i've subscribed to a thread, a new followup to the thread is sent
by email to me.

_____________________________________
obPuzzle: (rebus)

ONCE
12.30

Re: GG feature i'll miss : [Subscribe to Thread]

<upr61n$cnm6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=776&group=rec.puzzles#776

From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Subject: Re: GG feature i'll miss : [Subscribe to Thread]
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 09:31:34 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:31 UTC

On 2/4/2024 2:20 PM, HenHanna wrote:
> one GG feature i'll miss will be...   [Subscribe to Thread]
>
> once i've subscribed to a thread,  a new followup to the thread is sent
> by email to me.
>

> _____________________________________
> obPuzzle:    (rebus)
>
>          ONCE
>          12.30

Someone (a guru at Eternal-September (?)) has this in his tagline:

>>> NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you, unless you're
whitelisted and that's doubtful.

Re: GG feature i'll miss : [Subscribe to Thread]

<-P6dndvKP8dioFX4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=790&group=rec.puzzles#790

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 03:24:46 +0000
 by: Mike Terry - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 03:24 UTC

On 05/02/2024 17:31, HenHanna wrote:
> On 2/4/2024 2:20 PM, HenHanna wrote:
>> one GG feature i'll miss will be...   [Subscribe to Thread]
>>
>> once i've subscribed to a thread,  a new followup to the thread is sent by email to me.

With a newsreader you should by default see all new posts soon after they arrive. Likely they will
be highlighted, and you can use a short-cut key to move to the next unread post. (On Thunderbird
that is "n" key I think.)

If you know you don't want to see a particular thread, with Thuderbird you can select "ignore
thread" or "ignore subthread" for a thread/subthread. That's supposed to make it just like those
threads/subthreads never existed, and you'll only see new posts in unignored threads/subthreads. I
guess that's the opposite way round to the GG "subscribe to thread" function...

I don't see why you would want an email sent to you for any posts, other than the existing GG
interface being so poor! Also, you can toggle a "show ignored posts" setting which shows/hides all
the articles you've marked as ignored. There is a shortcut key to mark all posts in a thread as
read (so they'll no longer be bold font in the thread pane, or show in the "unread posts" count for
the thread.)

>> _____________________________________
>> obPuzzle:    (rebus)
>>
>>           ONCE
>>           12.30
>

> Someone (a guru at Eternal-September (?)) has this in his tagline:

Most newsreader clients allow posts to be filtered. E.g. it is easy to filter out all posts
originating from GG. A number of people have done exactly that, in order to avoid the copious spam
posts originating from GG. Some have also allowed selected GG posters in their whitelist to avoid
their blanket ban, i.e. because GG is obviously not /all/ spam. These sorts of decisions are down
to individuals configuring their filter rules.

Mike.