Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:50:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september
From: cgoo...@microprizes.com (Carl G)
 by: Carl G - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:50 UTC

On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 10:04:54 AM UTC-8, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > My access to newsgroups is usually through "news.eternal-september", not Google Groups. Occasionally I will use Google Groups and find that some messages are not being sent through by eternal-september. I do not know why, but often your messages (from "henh" and others) are being filtered out, either by eternal-september, or by my anti-virus software (AVG). Even when I use Google Groups, the browser's user interface does not allow me to scroll to the bottom of some messages (I use the FireFox browser). With Google discontinuing Usenet group support, I will have to depend on using my newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september for the feed.
> >
> > -Carl G.
>

> thanks... i 'll check out eternal-september
>
> i 'm not sure what is meant by [ newsreader (in Thunderbird) ]
>
> can Thunderbird get me Usenet (without , e.g. eternal-september )?

Thunderbird supports newsgroup accounts (in addition to email accounts). To get newsgroup messages, you will need Thunderbird to connect to a news server. I use "news.eternal-september.org" for the news server. Go to https://www.eternal-september.org/ for more information. The website is supported by donations. It is text-only (no binaries). To create a newsgroup account in Thunderbird, just use "Add Newsgroup Account" under "Account Actions" in "Account Settings".

BTW, this latest message thread did not appear in my Thunderbird app, so I had to use Google Groups. Something about your messages causes them to be filtered out.

-Carl G.

Re: newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september

<upp10o$3rhc1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=768&group=rec.puzzles#768

From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:53:27 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:53 UTC

On 2/4/2024 10:50 AM, Carl G wrote:
> On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 10:04:54 AM UTC-8, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> My access to newsgroups is usually through "news.eternal-september", not Google Groups. Occasionally I will use Google Groups and find that some messages are not being sent through by eternal-september. I do not know why, but often your messages (from "henh" and others) are being filtered out, either by eternal-september, or by my anti-virus software (AVG). Even when I use Google Groups, the browser's user interface does not allow me to scroll to the bottom of some messages (I use the FireFox browser). With Google discontinuing Usenet group support, I will have to depend on using my newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september for the feed.
>>>
>>> -Carl G.
>>

>> thanks... i 'll check out eternal-september
>>
>> i 'm not sure what is meant by [ newsreader (in Thunderbird) ]
>>
>> can Thunderbird get me Usenet (without , e.g. eternal-september )?
>
> Thunderbird supports newsgroup accounts (in addition to email accounts). To get newsgroup messages, you will need Thunderbird to connect to a news server. I use "news.eternal-september.org" for the news server. Go to https://www.eternal-september.org/ for more information. The website is supported by donations. It is text-only (no binaries). To create a newsgroup account in Thunderbird, just use "Add Newsgroup Account" under "Account Actions" in "Account Settings".
>
> BTW, this latest message thread did not appear in my Thunderbird app, so I had to use Google Groups. Something about your messages causes them to be filtered out.
>
> -Carl G.

(posting from Thunderbird)

yes, you're right...

(from Thunderbird) among my Posts to Rec.Puzzles, i only see old ones
from Aug. etc.

Re: newsreader (in Thunderbird) and eternal-september

<49049799-d72a-4deb-aa3f-c36d994eca81n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=771&group=rec.puzzles#771

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:20:24 -0800 (PST)
From: cgoo...@microprizes.com (Carl G)
 by: Carl G - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:20 UTC

On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 12:49:19 PM UTC-8, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 10:50:33 AM UTC-8, Carl G wrote:
> > Thunderbird supports newsgroup accounts (in addition to email accounts).. To get newsgroup messages, you will need Thunderbird to connect to a news server. I use "news.eternal-september.org" for the news server. Go to https://www.eternal-september.org/ for more information. The website is supported by donations. It is text-only (no binaries). To create a newsgroup account in Thunderbird, just use "Add Newsgroup Account" under "Account Actions" in "Account Settings".
> >
> > BTW, this latest message thread did not appear in my Thunderbird app, so I had to use Google Groups. Something about your messages causes them to be filtered out.
> >
> > -Carl G.
> thanks... i'm making progress.... (sort of) but i 'm not sure if Thunderbird + eternal-september is the right combination for me.
>
> because..........
> i only see some (very few) Alt, Free,... groups (to Subscribe to)
>
> i don't see any Sci, Rec groups (to Subscribe to)
>
> i only see a few (just 2 or 3 (?)) COMP groups like comp.lang.go

In Thunderbird, I initially only saw a few comp.* groups. After refreshing (using the "Refresh" button on the right of the "Subscribe" screen), many dozens of comp.* groups were added (just now). Before refreshing, I saw many sci.*, alt.*, rec.*, groups.

-Carl G.