Mother is far too clever to understand anything she does not like. -- Arnold Bennett

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election with democracy?

SubjectAuthor
* A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free electionltlee1
+* Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate freeltlee1
|`- Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate freeRusty Wyse
`- Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate freeltlee1

1
A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election with democracy?

<52bdcaa1-9f63-40a5-b555-2f3d5ba476a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7577&group=soc.culture.china#7577

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:21:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election
with democracy?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:21 UTC

I had raised the issue directly and indirectly, several times. Ritualistic voting does not necessarily contribute to democratic results. More important, procedural and frequently result wise, people electing their leaders is not different from slaves choosing their master.

Does anyone still believe the significance of election? If so, please explain their faith.

Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election with democracy?

<c2157a57-8f75-44d6-97ca-8e032f431489n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7620&group=soc.culture.china#7620

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 14:23:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free
election with democracy?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:23 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 12:21:49 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> I had raised the issue directly and indirectly, several times. Ritualistic voting does not necessarily contribute to democratic results. More important, procedural and frequently result wise, people electing their leaders is not different from slaves choosing their master.
>
> Does anyone still believe the significance of election? If so, please explain their faith.

The defining role of election for democracy is difficult to defend. It is more a matter of faith than rationality. Yet brave souls and/or die-hard Western democracy supporters would certainly try. The following is one such attempt:

"Describing how governments earn mandates to rule, political scientists distinguish between input legitimacy (eg, an election victory), and output or performance legitimacy (ie, successful policies). China’s rulers claim to enjoy input legitimacy based on public consultation, overseen by local and national “people’s congresses”. "

https://www.economist.com/china/2021/12/04/china-says-it-is-more-democratic-than-america

Adequate defense or lousy defense concerning the link between election and democracy?

Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election with democracy?

<da06b37f-1ced-4d22-a701-009452ff5e93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7629&group=soc.culture.china#7629

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:46:30 -0800 (PST)
election with democracy?
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:46 UTC

On Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 2:23:47 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 12:21:49 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > I had raised the issue directly and indirectly, several times. Ritualistic voting does not necessarily contribute to democratic results. More important, procedural and frequently result wise, people electing their leaders is not different from slaves choosing their master.
> >
> > Does anyone still believe the significance of election? If so, please explain their faith.
> The defining role of election for democracy is difficult to defend. It is more a matter of faith than rationality. Yet brave souls and/or die-hard Western democracy supporters would certainly try. The following is one such attempt:
>
> "Describing how governments earn mandates to rule, political scientists distinguish between input legitimacy (eg, an election victory), and output or performance legitimacy (ie, successful policies). China’s rulers claim to enjoy input legitimacy based on public consultation, overseen by local and national “people’s congresses”. "
>
> https://www.economist.com/china/2021/12/04/china-says-it-is-more-democratic-than-america
>
> Adequate defense or lousy defense concerning the link between election and democracy?

I have asked this question on soc.culture.china several times...
How many people on the election ballot running for office do you really know?
My response: None!!!

So, how could this be "democratic"???
An election is a meaningless exercise...

Re: A question in need of an answer: Why people associate free election with democracy?

<d33736be-0f75-4e77-97c2-f766020d61e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7665&group=soc.culture.china#7665

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 05:23:13 -0800 (PST)
election with democracy?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 13:23 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 5:21:49 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> I had raised the issue directly and indirectly, several times. Ritualistic voting does not necessarily contribute to democratic results. More important, procedural and frequently result wise, people electing their leaders is not different from slaves choosing their master.
>
> Does anyone still believe the significance of election? If so, please explain their faith.

If the US was a kind of democracy, it was not secured by election. Rather, it was secured by the Second Amendment.
Thomas Jefferson's famous words "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots
and tyrants" represented widely accepted view, not extreme view.