Ask not what's inside your head, but what your head's inside of. -- J. J. Gibson

interests / rec.woodworking / Spindle sander

SubjectAuthor
* Spindle sanderkrw
+* Re: Spindle sanderPuckdropper
|`* Re: Spindle sanderkrw
| `* Re: Spindle sanderPuckdropper
|  +* Re: Spindle sanderLeon
|  |`* Re: Spindle sanderDerbyDad03
|  | `- Re: Spindle sanderkrw
|  `* Re: Spindle sanderkrw
|   `- Re: Spindle sanderLeon
+* Re: Spindle sanderLeon
|+* Re: Spindle sanderDerbyDad03
||`* Re: Spindle sanderLeon
|| `* Re: Spindle sanderkrw
||  `- Re: Spindle sanderLeon
|`- Re: Spindle sanderkrw
`* Re: Spindle sanders
 `- Re: Spindle sanderkrw

1
Spindle sander

<rnqnfhplat5laadv7sp01cat0en30mdspd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7620&group=rec.woodworking#7620

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Spindle sander
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:11:13 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 19:11 UTC

I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
bother me much. Comments?

<https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/g0538>

Re: Spindle sander

<S10LK.159381$%i2.107985@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7626&group=rec.woodworking#7626

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Spindle sander
From: puckdrop...@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38 UTC

krw@notreal.com wrote in

> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
> bother me much. Comments?
>
> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sa
> nder/g0538>

How does it fit the types of work you'll be handling? It's a benchtop
model which means if you're trying to do longer boards they'll stick off
the end and may even require something like support rollers to use.

The size and stroke look good to me. It seems like it'll handle most of
the material you'd use a spindle sander for. On the rare occasion you're
sanding an angled cut, you could probably make a fixture to hold the board
at an angle.

Does it have a way to install a fence on it?

Puckdropper

Re: Spindle sander

<pdadne2OCdzAvGD_nZ2dnZfqnPjNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7630&group=rec.woodworking#7630

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 12:14:01 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 17:14 UTC

On 8/16/2022 2:11 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
> bother me much. Comments?
>
> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/g0538>

IMHO a universal motor would work as well as in induction motor, FOR
THIS APPLICATION.

BUT universal would be nosier.

Do you expect to use this machine a lot? Mine does not get used much
as I do not do many concave curves, mine are mostly convex and a disk
sander is better for that.

I find that a gentle application towards the cylinder works better,
hence the comment above about the universal motor. Heavy handed and you
easily get divots.

I cannot remember ever using the tilt table on my Jet.

BUT I do hook my DC up to it when I do use it. This one that you are
looking at does say that it has a 2.5" dust port, I wonder where that is
located.

Re: Spindle sander

<2979cdba-c747-4c8c-8efb-5c6ea69454d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7631&group=rec.woodworking#7631

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:13:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 18:13 UTC

On Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 1:14:10 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 8/16/2022 2:11 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> > I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
> > seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
> > in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
> > seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
> > doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
> > bother me much. Comments?
> >
> > <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/g0538>
> IMHO a universal motor would work as well as in induction motor, FOR
> THIS APPLICATION.
>
> BUT universal would be nosier.
>
> Do you expect to use this machine a lot? Mine does not get used much
> as I do not do many concave curves, mine are mostly convex and a disk
> sander is better for that.
>

> I find that a gentle application towards the cylinder works better,
> hence the comment above about the universal motor. Heavy handed and you
> easily get divots.
>
> I cannot remember ever using the tilt table on my Jet.
>
> BUT I do hook my DC up to it when I do use it. This one that you are
> looking at does say that it has a 2.5" dust port, I wonder where that is
> located.

You can just see it peeking out under the table on the left hand side. It hangs
off the bottom of the table.

https://i.imgur.com/C6XeLon.jpg

Re: Spindle sander

<sRidnZevlbtgqGD_nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7634&group=rec.woodworking#7634

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:42:02 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 18:42 UTC

On 8/17/2022 1:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 1:14:10 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> On 8/16/2022 2:11 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>>> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
>>> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
>>> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
>>> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
>>> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
>>> bother me much. Comments?
>>>
>>> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/g0538>
>> IMHO a universal motor would work as well as in induction motor, FOR
>> THIS APPLICATION.
>>
>> BUT universal would be nosier.
>>
>> Do you expect to use this machine a lot? Mine does not get used much
>> as I do not do many concave curves, mine are mostly convex and a disk
>> sander is better for that.
>>

>> I find that a gentle application towards the cylinder works better,
>> hence the comment above about the universal motor. Heavy handed and you
>> easily get divots.
>>
>> I cannot remember ever using the tilt table on my Jet.
>>
>> BUT I do hook my DC up to it when I do use it. This one that you are
>> looking at does say that it has a 2.5" dust port, I wonder where that is
>> located.
>
> You can just see it peeking out under the table on the left hand side. It hangs
> off the bottom of the table.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/C6XeLon.jpg

Mystery solved!

Re: Spindle sander

<jh4rfhh9la4nd9hji5ucvc1g2nnb29qv0r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7636&group=rec.woodworking#7636

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 21:16:12 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 01:16 UTC

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:42:02 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 8/17/2022 1:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>>> IMHO a universal motor would work as well as in induction motor, FOR
>>> THIS APPLICATION.
>>>
>>> BUT universal would be nosier.
>>>
>>> Do you expect to use this machine a lot? Mine does not get used much
>>> as I do not do many concave curves, mine are mostly convex and a disk
>>> sander is better for that.
>>>

>>> I find that a gentle application towards the cylinder works better,
>>> hence the comment above about the universal motor. Heavy handed and you
>>> easily get divots.
>>>
>>> I cannot remember ever using the tilt table on my Jet.
>>>
>>> BUT I do hook my DC up to it when I do use it. This one that you are
>>> looking at does say that it has a 2.5" dust port, I wonder where that is
>>> located.
>>
>> You can just see it peeking out under the table on the left hand side. It hangs
>> off the bottom of the table.
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/C6XeLon.jpg
>>
> Mystery solved!

From what I've been able to find, it works fairly well but, because
the space between the spindle and insert is so small that it's very
noisy, with a lot of high-frequency content.

The other big negative that I've been able to find is that it has a
composite (MDF?) table. It's $200 so don't expect it to be the same as
a $700 sander.

Re: Spindle sander

<cn4rfhh0a9rsvqg1gqkgihhn2vr904r5vt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7637&group=rec.woodworking#7637

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 21:18:57 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 01:18 UTC

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>krw@notreal.com wrote in
>
>> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
>> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
>> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
>> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
>> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
>> bother me much. Comments?
>>
>> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sa
>> nder/g0538>
>
>How does it fit the types of work you'll be handling? It's a benchtop
>model which means if you're trying to do longer boards they'll stick off
>the end and may even require something like support rollers to use.

That's always a tradeoff. I can get a 25" table on a stationary
sander but it would be 10x the price.

>The size and stroke look good to me. It seems like it'll handle most of
>the material you'd use a spindle sander for. On the rare occasion you're
>sanding an angled cut, you could probably make a fixture to hold the board
>at an angle.
>
>Does it have a way to install a fence on it?

I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a
router table) maybe but what would a fence do?

Re: Spindle sander

<nIecnQTT-LgqpGP_nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7644&group=rec.woodworking#7644

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 08:09:24 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 13:09 UTC

On 8/17/2022 8:16 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:42:02 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:

>>> You can just see it peeking out under the table on the left hand side. It hangs
>>> off the bottom of the table.
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/C6XeLon.jpg
>>>
>> Mystery solved!
>
> From what I've been able to find, it works fairly well but, because
> the space between the spindle and insert is so small that it's very
> noisy, with a lot of high-frequency content.
>
> The other big negative that I've been able to find is that it has a
> composite (MDF?) table. It's $200 so don't expect it to be the same as
> a $700 sander.

My old router table is MDF with Melamine on both sides, factory made.
After about 20 years the 24 x 32 has begun to sag .016" For edge
sanding I don't think you would notice.

Re: Spindle sander

<4wFLK.807106$J0r9.641922@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7664&group=rec.woodworking#7664

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdrop...@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 05:49:52 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 05:49 UTC

krw@notreal.com wrote in

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

*snip*
>>Does it have a way to install a fence on it?
>
> I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a
> router table) maybe but what would a fence do?

It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between
curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.

Puckdropper

Re: Spindle sander

<RaWcnXpNP4OxFGL_nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7667&group=rec.woodworking#7667

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:01:55 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 13:01 UTC

On 8/19/2022 12:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> krw@notreal.com wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
> *snip*
>>> Does it have a way to install a fence on it?
>>
>> I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a
>> router table) maybe but what would a fence do?
>>

> It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between
> curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.
>
> Puckdropper

Have you actually sanded a straight edge with a spindle sander? I
think you would easily end up with divots. That has been my
experience. Spindle sanders have a learning curve to not over sand.

Re: Spindle sander

<46cd8a47-d0fd-42d0-a7a1-7285b1ab4452n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7669&group=rec.woodworking#7669

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:58:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 19:58 UTC

On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 9:02:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 8/19/2022 12:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> > k...@notreal.com wrote in
> >
> >> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckd...@yahoo.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> > *snip*
> >>
> >> I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a
> >> router table) maybe but what would a fence do?
> >>

> > It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between
> > curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.
> >
> > Puckdropper
> Have you actually sanded a straight edge with a spindle sander? I
> think you would easily end up with divots. That has been my
> experience. Spindle sanders have a learning curve to not over sand.

Use the fence to create a drum sander -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDiaxPAjq4

Use the fence to create a planer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGDa9_AX1w

Re: Spindle sander

<jtvvfh5elkqmdgps9raerfog8gcgf5rf0d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7670&group=rec.woodworking#7670

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:25:45 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:25 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 05:49:52 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>krw@notreal.com wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>*snip*
>>>Does it have a way to install a fence on it?
>>
>> I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a
>> router table) maybe but what would a fence do?
>>

>It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between
>curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.

On an oscillating spindle sander? Wrong tool.

Re: Spindle sander

<rvvvfh5ukcfklvfo7caf7joqkbj32oaqq1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7671&group=rec.woodworking#7671

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:26:56 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:26 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:58:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 9:02:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> On 8/19/2022 12:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>> > k...@notreal.com wrote in

>> > *snip*

>> > It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between
>> > curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.
>> >
>> > Puckdropper
>> Have you actually sanded a straight edge with a spindle sander? I
>> think you would easily end up with divots. That has been my
>> experience. Spindle sanders have a learning curve to not over sand.
>
>Use the fence to create a drum sander -
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDiaxPAjq4
>
>Use the fence to create a planer -
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGDa9_AX1w

Watch for the kick-back (or forward). Yikes!

Re: Spindle sander

<NGqdnQr0O8rojZ3-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7674&group=rec.woodworking#7674

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:37:58 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 22:37 UTC

On 8/19/2022 4:25 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 05:49:52 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> krw@notreal.com wrote in
>>
>>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:38:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>> *snip*
>>>
>>> I don't see one but do know why it would be needed. A pin (like a
>>> router table) maybe but what would a fence do?
>>>

>> It'd let you use the tool for edge sanding, or sanding long flats between
>> curves where it's convenient to just use the single tool.
>
> On an oscillating spindle sander? Wrong tool.

Yes, a spindle sander is for concave sanding.

Re: Spindle sander

<XnsAF0B9A4D2DA01s@185.151.13.165>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7857&group=rec.woodworking#7857

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: s...@s.com (s)
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 20:10:07 +0000
 by: s - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 20:10 UTC

krw@notreal.com wrote in

> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
> bother me much. Comments?
>
> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sa
> nder/g0538>

I have the grizzly one (about $240ish). I've had to replace the pulleys and
drive gears after a year or so because ti wouldn't osscilate anymore. Now
it seems the motore is on its way out after 4 yrs. Won't start turning when
powered on, I have to help it get started.

One of the cylinders is slightly oversized. Have to cool it down sometimes
to get the sleeve off. The cylinder assortment from Grizly is pricey and
the assortment isn't great. I only wnt one sleeve but had to buy 3 at a
time.

For a cheaper sander it's fine overall.

Need to absolutely use dust collection.

BTW sanding straight on one isn't the best. I've gone back to using my ROS
angled at about 90ish degrees.

Re: Spindle sander

<cfvhhhhvaq2a1p2voor7drsv22brkoq36k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7859&group=rec.woodworking#7859

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 16:30:17 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 20:30 UTC

On Wed, 07 Sep 2022 20:10:07 +0000, s <s@s.com> wrote:

>krw@notreal.com wrote in
>
>> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
>> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
>> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
>> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
>> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
>> bother me much. Comments?
>>
>> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sa
>> nder/g0538>
>
>I have the grizzly one (about $240ish). I've had to replace the pulleys and
>drive gears after a year or so because ti wouldn't osscilate anymore. Now
>it seems the motore is on its way out after 4 yrs. Won't start turning when
>powered on, I have to help it get started.

That sounds like a starting capacitor problem. It's usually an easy
fix.

>One of the cylinders is slightly oversized. Have to cool it down sometimes
>to get the sleeve off. The cylinder assortment from Grizly is pricey and
>the assortment isn't great. I only wnt one sleeve but had to buy 3 at a
>time.

Don't standard sleeves work? That's my first test. I'm going to
Woodcraft Saturday so I'll bring the spindles and play.

>For a cheaper sander it's fine overall.

I bought one but haven't tried it yet. Grizzly dropped prices
recently. Evidently they were getting killed by container prices so
passed it along. Other manufacturers may follow. I hope so. The
price increases over the last year are unbelievable. I'm really not
looking for tools but a new DC would be good.

>Need to absolutely use dust collection.

That's true for any sander. Lungs and all that.

>BTW sanding straight on one isn't the best. I've gone back to using my ROS
>angled at about 90ish degrees.

Re: Spindle sander

<oisphhhqmauuec8ckdc50tt00nes04234t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7864&group=rec.woodworking#7864

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:59:43 -0400
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 20:59 UTC

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 12:14:01 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 8/16/2022 2:11 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>> I've been thinking about buying a spindle sander. The bench-top units
>> seemed to have universal motors, which are not ideal for heavy use or
>> in "fixed" (not hand-held) tools. I came across this Grizzly that
>> seems to have an induction motor and for a pretty good price. It
>> doesn't have a tilt able table but I don't think that's going to
>> bother me much. Comments?
>>
>> <https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-1-3-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/g0538>
>
>IMHO a universal motor would work as well as in induction motor, FOR
>THIS APPLICATION.

I don't agree but to each. I'd go with the universal motor if it were
all that was available but an induction motor is an advantage.

It is indeed an induction motor (I came to that assumption by using
induction ;).

I was at Woodcraft today and noted that the Jet has an induction motor
(not enough information on the Rikon). It was all metal, where the
Grizzly is plastic and melamine.

>BUT universal would be nosier.
>
>Do you expect to use this machine a lot? Mine does not get used much
>as I do not do many concave curves, mine are mostly convex and a disk
>sander is better for that.

I don't know. That's why I didn't want to spend a lot of money on
one. I don't have another way of sanding internal curves. I've got
many ways to sand surfaces and outside shapes.

>I find that a gentle application towards the cylinder works better,
>hence the comment above about the universal motor. Heavy handed and you
>easily get divots.

Larger spindles are going to need more torque than smaller spindles.

>I cannot remember ever using the tilt table on my Jet.
>
>BUT I do hook my DC up to it when I do use it. This one that you are
>looking at does say that it has a 2.5" dust port, I wonder where that is
>located.

It's mounted vertically under the table, with a slot going over to the
space around the spindle bottom. It's going to need a lot of velocity
to do anything. A DC isn't going to do it.