Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 09:53:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What regrets do you have after completing your PhD?
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 17:53 UTC

Roger W. Manning
Author (2008–present)Nov 29
What regrets do you have after completing your PhD?
I spent twelve years as a college student after high school. I loved every minute of it. When I graduated with a terminal degree (PhD) I went to work at a college. Leaving the university as a student is my deepest regret. That was the best part of my life. I went on to become a professor, researcher, writer, and dean, but the best part of my career was being a student.

(I met a student on my first year of college. He said he majors in music, and plans to get a PhD in music, and to become a professor in music and spend the rest of his life in a university teaching music. At that time, I thought: What a waste of time and life spending your whole life on a university campus!!!!
Well, after spending my life working all over the Pacific Ocean tracking missiles and space craft, and working from the West coast to the East coast working across the U.S. I realized that student had his life all planned out ahead of him, and he was right. I spent my life chasing an impossible dream...)

interests / soc.culture.china / What regrets do you have after completing your PhD?