From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: planting moving along
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:35:14 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 29 May 2023 11:35 UTC

onions are done and so i can get on to the
tomatoes and peppers. will take me a few
days for them. then squash and melons.
then beans at last to fill in all the spaces
that are left.

this is also the 12th Annual Running of the
Worms. :) where i take the worm compost
buckets out and use them as fertilizer and
then restart them. the title makes me laugh
as i can imagine worms running, but it is
actually me moving them from in here to out
there in the gardens.

i only have one garden left to finish
weeding, but i need to get everything
planted as soon as i can until i can spend
a lot of time weeding. if i do it in parts
i can mix tasks and that is better for my
body.

songbird

Re: planting moving along

<slrnu7en7u.7e4.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=688&group=rec.gardens.edible#688

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
From: fos...@sdf.org
Subject: Re: planting moving along
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:43:10 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Wed, 31 May 2023 14:43 UTC

On 2023-05-29, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:

> i only have one garden left to finish
> weeding, but i need to get everything
> planted as soon as i can until i can spend
> a lot of time weeding. if i do it in parts
> i can mix tasks and that is better for my
> body.

My vegetable planting is done. Did tomato, bell pepper, and spinach
plants last night. And zucchini seeds. My vegetable garden is small.
Four thirty two square foot beds and 4 whisky barrels for asparagus.
Last year grew a lot in containers, this year decided not to. Have
other projects to finish. Next year I'll be packing as much into the
veggie garden as I can, beds and containers alike.

There are critter feeders and bird baths about fourty feet from the
vegetable garden. Most of my weeding consists of plucking out sprouts
from the bird seed the squirrels bury in them.

This fall I'm building removable chicken wire covers for the raised
beds for use the following spring. I'm not going to win the war with
the critters, that's impossible, but I will win some battles and this
is one of them. :)

Any chance of row covers I see at gardening suppliers keeping the
critters away?

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Re: planting moving along

<spcmkj-hg4.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=692&group=rec.gardens.edible#692

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 07:42:20 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:42 UTC

fos@sdf.org wrote:
> Any chance of row covers I see at gardening suppliers keeping the
> critters away?

not really, they'd get trampled in the only places they'd
have a chance of making a difference. if i were to invest
time in that it would be better spent in just putting up
better fences to get the rest of the area enclosed that
needs it the most. i'd gain almost 20,000 of square feet
of protected garden space by running 450ft of 6-8ft fencing,
but the requirements of Mom to have nice looking gates
makes that cost double or more what it could be. and right
now i'm out of extra $ of any type until my retirement funds
start coming in. i need to be patient for several more
years. :)

songbird