If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.

interests / alt.home.repair / shed on a cement pad

SubjectAuthor
* shed on a cement padmicky
+* shed on a cement padMarilyn Manson
|+- shed on a cement padRalph Mowery
|`* shed on a cement padgfretwell
| `- shed on a cement padTekkie?
+* shed on a cement padLarry
|`- shed on a cement padgfretwell
+* shed on a cement padhubops
|`- shed on a cement padmicky
`* shed on a cement padEd Pawlowski
 +* shed on a cement padRalph Mowery
 |`* shed on a cement padgfretwell
 | `* shed on a cement padRalph Mowery
 |  `- shed on a cement padgfretwell
 `- shed on a cement padgfretwell

1
shed on a cement pad

<ojsvigd32seqe70fbksm0kni6icdsbc35u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6841&group=alt.home.repair#6841

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: shed on a cement pad
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 17:37:58 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 21:37 UTC

Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
yard:

You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<6038e2eb-f5cb-4fe2-96a6-297a28c1b37fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6851&group=alt.home.repair#6851

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:02:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: shed on a cement pad
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:02 UTC

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 5:38:03 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
> yard:
>
> You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
> permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.

Local codes apply.

My town requires a permit for sheds and there are set-back requirements,
materials matter, size matters, etc. Pad, blocks or timber foundation doesn't
matter. Still needs a permit.

As far as "permanence" some places will let you build a deck or pergola
without a permit as long as it's not attached to the house. My town doesn't
care: permits required, period.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<f9ednZ39DvT6YLL8nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6853&group=alt.home.repair#6853

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: lar...@domain.dom (Larry)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 18:23:35 -0400
 by: Larry - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:23 UTC

On 9/1/21 5:37 PM, micky wrote:
> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
> yard:
>
> You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
> permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.

Here, if you build a shed on a concrete pad, they consider it permanent and add it to you property taxes.

Build the same shed on packed paver base and no taxes.

Best thing to do is pour the concrete floor and as soon as it's hard, cover it immediately with paver base and build the shed.

After the danger of the local tax man paying a visit, tag the shed down and shovel out the paver base.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<p600jgpekpmdqo6ro00t36k4stpk9crr4e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6857&group=alt.home.repair#6857

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 18:43:50 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:43 UTC

On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 17:37:58 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
>yard:
>You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
>permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.

I have heard that is the case in some municipalities.
My town only has size criteria 9 x 12 no permit
10 x 12 = building permit required.
For your town - ask them ! .. and be sure to get back to us
with your findings - we're on the edges of our seats
yet again ..
John T.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<MPG.3b99cd5bf02a482a989a13@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6858&group=alt.home.repair#6858

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 18:48:49 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:48 UTC

In article <6038e2eb-f5cb-4fe2-96a6-297a28c1b37fn@googlegroups.com>,
comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com says...

> Local codes apply.
>
> My town requires a permit for sheds and there are set-back requirements,
> materials matter, size matters, etc. Pad, blocks or timber foundation doesn't
> matter. Still needs a permit.
>
> As far as "permanence" some places will let you build a deck or pergola
> without a permit as long as it's not attached to the house. My town doesn't
> care: permits required, period.

Yes, it depends on the local codes. A few years ago I checked on a
prebuilt shed. Was told if it was over 10 feet wide I needed a permit
and had to be fastened to the ground usually using the large screw in
type anchors.

This year I had one of the metal carport type garages built that was 24
x 25 feet. Put it on a cement pad. Had to be permitted and several
inspections done at various points on the construction. Then the tax
man came to add it to the property tax bill.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<P8VXI.6361$oY4.2114@fx20.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6877&group=alt.home.repair#6877

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 20:45:34 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 00:45 UTC

On 9/1/2021 5:37 PM, micky wrote:
> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
> yard:
>
> You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
> permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.

When I put in my shed I had to get a permit as it was over 100 sq. ft.
Also had to be some distance from the property line. Don't recall
anything about the foundation, in my case gravel.

No one ever came to inspect that I'm aware of but since it is outside,
could have come and gone.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<MPG.3b9a0c24b991cc3d989a14@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6903&group=alt.home.repair#6903

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 23:16:38 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:16 UTC

In article <P8VXI.6361$oY4.2114@fx20.iad>, esp@snet.xxx says...

> When I put in my shed I had to get a permit as it was over 100 sq. ft.
> Also had to be some distance from the property line. Don't recall
> anything about the foundation, in my case gravel.
>
> No one ever came to inspect that I'm aware of but since it is outside,
> could have come and gone.

Where I live you have to call the inspector to come out. He will sign
off on each phase of the construction.
Sometimes I would leave the paper where he could find it and not see
him, sometimes he would knock on the door and we would go out together
so he could tell me if something needed more attention.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<8kg0jg18o7q4h2q8v3e4b8tcb9anf5024j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6905&group=alt.home.repair#6905

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:22:42 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:22 UTC

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:02:13 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
<comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 5:38:03 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
>> yard:
>>
>> You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
>> permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.
>
>Local codes apply.
>
>My town requires a permit for sheds and there are set-back requirements,
>materials matter, size matters, etc. Pad, blocks or timber foundation doesn't
>matter. Still needs a permit.
>
>As far as "permanence" some places will let you build a deck or pergola
>without a permit as long as it's not attached to the house. My town doesn't
>care: permits required, period.

Same here and they want engineering on the permit. For a shed they do
have free mastered plans you can submit (block or stick built) but
you need to build to that plan. The size and style is somewhat
flexible but the reinforcement schedule applies no matter what size
you build.

https://www.leegov.com/dcd/BldPermitServ/AppsProcd/shedreq

Re: shed on a cement pad

<1ug0jg18ump1klrsfs4phudfj6jootvou5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6907&group=alt.home.repair#6907

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:31:20 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:31 UTC

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 18:23:35 -0400, Larry <larry@domain.dom> wrote:

>On 9/1/21 5:37 PM, micky wrote:
>> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
>> yard:
>>
>> You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
>> permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.
>

>Here, if you build a shed on a concrete pad, they consider it permanent and add it to you property taxes.
>
>Build the same shed on packed paver base and no taxes.
>

>Best thing to do is pour the concrete floor and as soon as it's hard, cover it immediately with paver base and build the shed.
>
>After the danger of the local tax man paying a visit, tag the shed down and shovel out the paver base.

How much can the tax on a shed be? $5 a year?

Re: shed on a cement pad

<dfh0jg952uvqp06v49i8of709gvmkralvr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6909&group=alt.home.repair#6909

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:43:45 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:43 UTC

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 20:45:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 9/1/2021 5:37 PM, micky wrote:
>> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
>> yard:
>>
>> You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
>> permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.
>>

>When I put in my shed I had to get a permit as it was over 100 sq. ft.
>Also had to be some distance from the property line. Don't recall
>anything about the foundation, in my case gravel.
>
>No one ever came to inspect that I'm aware of but since it is outside,
>could have come and gone.

In Florida it is probably from satellite or aerial photos. I know my
property appraiser has pictures far better than Google from straight
up and 4 obliques from the cardinal compass points. They are online.
I did see the tax lady walking around once but when she saw me looking
at her she ran away and I met her out front. She said she thought the
lot next door was public property but she was in my back yard.
They are really not allowed to walk on your property unless you have
an active building permit, they have a warrant or you give permission.
They can look at your house from the neighbor's yard if they give
permission to enter and they can look from public property.
I suppose the drone thing may still need to be litigated.
A lot of these code enforcement people and property appraisers don't
know that or ignore it.
YMMV in other states but that is the Florida law.
("Law for Inspectors" is one of the courses I am required to take
every 2 years for my license).

Re: shed on a cement pad

<c0i0jgthhrc14fdcs4gn8k2h295q9sj8od@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6911&group=alt.home.repair#6911

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:45:37 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:45 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 01 Sep 2021 18:43:50 -0400,
hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 17:37:58 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
>>yard:
>>You can’t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
>>permanent. If it’s on cinder blocks - non permanent.
>

>I have heard that is the case in some municipalities.
>My town only has size criteria 9 x 12 no permit
> 10 x 12 = building permit required.
>For your town - ask them !

I did mention Baltimore but mostly I'm interested in anywhere.

Larry covered the part about pad making it permanent. That's the rule
somewhere, and somewhere is good enough for me.

> .. and be sure to get back to us
>with your findings - we're on the edges of our seats
>yet again ..

The poster didn't say where she was talking about, so maybe she's right
about everything.

Thanks all.

> John T.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<fel0jghovd9lls4uobs0j99vla0hse99md@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6922&group=alt.home.repair#6922

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 00:53:51 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 04:53 UTC

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 23:16:38 -0400, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <P8VXI.6361$oY4.2114@fx20.iad>, esp@snet.xxx says...
>>
>> When I put in my shed I had to get a permit as it was over 100 sq. ft.
>> Also had to be some distance from the property line. Don't recall
>> anything about the foundation, in my case gravel.
>>
>> No one ever came to inspect that I'm aware of but since it is outside,
>> could have come and gone.
>>

>Where I live you have to call the inspector to come out. He will sign
>off on each phase of the construction.
>Sometimes I would leave the paper where he could find it and not see
>him, sometimes he would knock on the door and we would go out together
>so he could tell me if something needed more attention.

If it is any kind of serious project you probably have a permit box.
I think most places require that you schedule inspections.
The only question is whether they even inspect something like a shed
and if so it might only be once if they did. If the guy catches you a
foot too close to the fence on the final, you better hope he is in a
good mood and your neighbor is OK with it. ;-)

I personally think they should do at least 2,
1.) plot/footer/slab/steel
2.) final.
These days do the rest with email pictures if they want to see the
clips/tiebeam and roof membrane.
You might even do the final as soon as it is dried in, before any
interior sheathing goes up if any. That gives them a look at the
electrical and framing.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<MPG.3b9ab6d4e494747c989a15@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6987&group=alt.home.repair#6987

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:25:01 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:25 UTC

In article <fel0jghovd9lls4uobs0j99vla0hse99md@4ax.com>,
gfretwell@aol.com says...

> If it is any kind of serious project you probably have a permit box.
> I think most places require that you schedule inspections.
> The only question is whether they even inspect something like a shed
> and if so it might only be once if they did. If the guy catches you a
> foot too close to the fence on the final, you better hope he is in a
> good mood and your neighbor is OK with it. ;-)
>
> I personally think they should do at least 2,
> 1.) plot/footer/slab/steel
> 2.) final.
> These days do the rest with email pictures if they want to see the
> clips/tiebeam and roof membrane.
>
> You might even do the final as soon as it is dried in, before any
> interior sheathing goes up if any. That gives them a look at the
> electrical and framing.

On the permit I have there are places for 14 inspecitons for the
buildings. That is not including any electrical work as I did not put
any electrical in my garage.

There were 4 actual inspections for the type of building I have and one
call back due to the contractors left out four screws in each of about
10 braces for the roof. They probalby would not be needed, but were on
the engineering drawings.

1- building footing
2- building foundation
3- building slab
4- building final

Mine was a simple metal carport type garage with no electircal or any
inside walls.

You are supose to hang the permit where the inspector can find it. It
was bad weather and some rain so I put the paper in one of the Harbor
Freight plastic ammo boxes and left a note where the paper would be.

Re: shed on a cement pad

<i992jghpptavivgd6ego24ifq2ihmrg2ta@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7034&group=alt.home.repair#7034

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 15:27:00 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 19:27 UTC

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:25:01 -0400, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <fel0jghovd9lls4uobs0j99vla0hse99md@4ax.com>,
>gfretwell@aol.com says...
>>
>> If it is any kind of serious project you probably have a permit box.
>> I think most places require that you schedule inspections.
>> The only question is whether they even inspect something like a shed
>> and if so it might only be once if they did. If the guy catches you a
>> foot too close to the fence on the final, you better hope he is in a
>> good mood and your neighbor is OK with it. ;-)
>>
>> I personally think they should do at least 2,
>> 1.) plot/footer/slab/steel
>> 2.) final.
>> These days do the rest with email pictures if they want to see the
>> clips/tiebeam and roof membrane.
>>
>> You might even do the final as soon as it is dried in, before any
>> interior sheathing goes up if any. That gives them a look at the
>> electrical and framing.
>>

>On the permit I have there are places for 14 inspecitons for the
>buildings. That is not including any electrical work as I did not put
>any electrical in my garage.
>
>There were 4 actual inspections for the type of building I have and one
>call back due to the contractors left out four screws in each of about
>10 braces for the roof. They probalby would not be needed, but were on
>the engineering drawings.
>
>1- building footing
>2- building foundation
>3- building slab
>4- building final
>
>Mine was a simple metal carport type garage with no electircal or any
>inside walls.
>
>You are supose to hang the permit where the inspector can find it. It
>was bad weather and some rain so I put the paper in one of the Harbor
>Freight plastic ammo boxes and left a note where the paper would be.

I made a bunch of these for Centex and I usually had one around for my
projects.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Permit%20board%20stands.jpg

Re: shed on a cement pad

<r5bYI.19645$F26.13100@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7048&group=alt.home.repair#7048

From: Tek...@comcast.net (Tekkie?)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:10:47 -0400
 by: Tekkie? - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 21:10 UTC

On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:22:42 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com posted for all of us to
digest...

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:02:13 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
> <comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 5:38:03 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> >> Is this true anywhere, or Baltimore? It's about a shed in the back
> >> yard:
> >>
> >> You can?t build a permanent structure- the cement pad makes it
> >> permanent. If it?s on cinder blocks - non permanent.
> >
> >Local codes apply.
> >
> >My town requires a permit for sheds and there are set-back requirements,
> >materials matter, size matters, etc. Pad, blocks or timber foundation doesn't
> >matter. Still needs a permit.
> >
> >As far as "permanence" some places will let you build a deck or pergola
> >without a permit as long as it's not attached to the house. My town doesn't
> >care: permits required, period.
>
> Same here and they want engineering on the permit. For a shed they do
> have free mastered plans you can submit (block or stick built) but
> you need to build to that plan. The size and style is somewhat
> flexible but the reinforcement schedule applies no matter what size
> you build.
>
> https://www.leegov.com/dcd/BldPermitServ/AppsProcd/shedreq

That will leave quite a few here scratching the head...

--
Tekkie

interests / alt.home.repair / shed on a cement pad