From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: OT Sales tax on out of state sale by phone
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:19:22 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:19 UTC

In article <8adregpj868gdtdkig032ss7b8inttj83p@4ax.com>,
gfretwell@aol.com says...
> It's not that the small Ebay stores that changed, it's that Ebay started collecting it
> >for most states now. BTW, the Ebay move away from using Paypal to process
> >their transactions, that I first learned about here, hit me about a month ago.
> >No heads up, no warning, nothing until two weeks before. Then it was just a
> >message that you're being switched in two weeks. Instead of PP, they are using
> >some company in Europe to do it. It works, but it's made it more confusing and
> >Ebay was lying when they said it would benefit most sellers by taking less out.
> >From what I've seen it's the same or just a tad less, which of course is what
> >I expected knowing those bastards.
> >
> I just bought a $350 pool cleaner from Ebay and paid with Paypal.

I have bought several items from ebayranging from $ 10 to $ 120. Some
new and some like a refurbished computer. Tax was added to every item.
I did use PayPal for all of them. I bougth a $ 15 item from China and I
don't think PP added tax to that one.

Re: OT Sales tax on out of state sale by phone

<18preghk35825tjbd7kmr95gp49764vhuc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=45&group=alt.home.repair#45

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:18:12 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 19:18 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:19:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <8adregpj868gdtdkig032ss7b8inttj83p@4ax.com>,
>gfretwell@aol.com says...
>> It's not that the small Ebay stores that changed, it's that Ebay started collecting it
>> >for most states now. BTW, the Ebay move away from using Paypal to process
>> >their transactions, that I first learned about here, hit me about a month ago.
>> >No heads up, no warning, nothing until two weeks before. Then it was just a
>> >message that you're being switched in two weeks. Instead of PP, they are using
>> >some company in Europe to do it. It works, but it's made it more confusing and
>> >Ebay was lying when they said it would benefit most sellers by taking less out.
>> >From what I've seen it's the same or just a tad less, which of course is what
>> >I expected knowing those bastards.
>> >
>> I just bought a $350 pool cleaner from Ebay and paid with Paypal.
>>

>I have bought several items from ebayranging from $ 10 to $ 120. Some
>new and some like a refurbished computer. Tax was added to every item.
>I did use PayPal for all of them. I bougth a $ 15 item from China and I
>don't think PP added tax to that one.

The tax is added by the seller, not PayPal. Generally if you buy from
a private seller - say a used object, no tax is charged or paid - by
the letter of the law YOU are supposed to remit the tax but I've never
seen it done. If I buy something from Texas or Florida or wherever I
generally pay the texas or florida tax if I buy it there - no tax if
it is shipped directly to me in Ontario. If it gets snagged by customs
I will be assessed the tax on items with a value threshold - used to
be $25 but I think it has gone up. If handled by USPS / Canada post
there was a $5 filing charge.
If shipped by UPS with a $50 value I got dinged the tax PLUS UPS
criminal brokerage fees - which combined had the possibility of
DOUBLING the cost of the item. Having it shipped UPS Expidited (air),
with the brokerage paid by the shipper and added to the bill was
always significantly cheaper - and faster - but I avoid UPS like the
plague - - even within Canada

Re: OT Sales tax on out of state sale by phone

<3ubseghblhdg1dindj5mu2mlenogj5alpu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=68&group=alt.home.repair#68

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 20:32:44 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 00:32 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:19:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <8adregpj868gdtdkig032ss7b8inttj83p@4ax.com>,
>gfretwell@aol.com says...
>> It's not that the small Ebay stores that changed, it's that Ebay started collecting it
>> >for most states now. BTW, the Ebay move away from using Paypal to process
>> >their transactions, that I first learned about here, hit me about a month ago.
>> >No heads up, no warning, nothing until two weeks before. Then it was just a
>> >message that you're being switched in two weeks. Instead of PP, they are using
>> >some company in Europe to do it. It works, but it's made it more confusing and
>> >Ebay was lying when they said it would benefit most sellers by taking less out.
>> >From what I've seen it's the same or just a tad less, which of course is what
>> >I expected knowing those bastards.
>> >
>> I just bought a $350 pool cleaner from Ebay and paid with Paypal.
>>

>I have bought several items from ebayranging from $ 10 to $ 120. Some
>new and some like a refurbished computer. Tax was added to every item.
>I did use PayPal for all of them. I bougth a $ 15 item from China and I
>don't think PP added tax to that one.

There are lots of breaks we give to shippers directly from China. It
is great if you are just a cheap shopper but it sucks if you are an
American who cares about fairness to US business.
They also do not pay US postage.
I can buy a little widget from China, product plus shipping, that
comes to me USPS from Long Beach Ca, cheaper than someone in Long
Beach can mail it to me.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT Sales tax on out of state sale by phone