When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by China

SubjectAuthor
* [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by Chinaltlee1
+- Re: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by ChinaRusty Wyse
`- Re: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by Chinaltlee1

1
[Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by China

<59db8f9c-e969-4ae3-8142-aae28d747eebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6221&group=soc.culture.china#6221

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 05:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by China
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:42 UTC

A relatively speaking meaningless answer to a meaningless question.
With its Taiwan Relations Act since Carter's time, the US has claimed the right but not the obligation to defend Taiwan again PRC attack.

The real question is whether the US is obligated to defend Taiwan and at what cost.

"President Joe Biden said the U.S. was committed to defending Taiwan from a Chinese attack, in some of his strongest comments yet as the administration faces calls to clarify its stance on the democratically ruled island.

Biden answered “yes” when asked during a CNN town hall Thursday whether he could pledge to protect Taiwan. “I don’t want a Cold War with China -- I just want to make China understand that we are not going to step back, we are not going to change any of our views,” Biden told host Anderson Cooper in Baltimore."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-22/biden-says-the-u-s-would-defend-taiwan-from-attack-by-china

Re: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by China

<1f2481bf-0630-4417-9d92-aa8348bd6510n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6224&group=soc.culture.china#6224

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:38 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 5:42:53 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> A relatively speaking meaningless answer to a meaningless question.
> With its Taiwan Relations Act since Carter's time, the US has claimed the right but not the obligation to defend Taiwan again PRC attack.
>
> The real question is whether the US is obligated to defend Taiwan and at what cost.
>
> "President Joe Biden said the U.S. was committed to defending Taiwan from a Chinese attack, in some of his strongest comments yet as the administration faces calls to clarify its stance on the democratically ruled island.
>
> Biden answered “yes” when asked during a CNN town hall Thursday whether he could pledge to protect Taiwan. “I don’t want a Cold War with China -- I just want to make China understand that we are not going to step back, we are not going to change any of our views,” Biden told host Anderson Cooper in Baltimore."
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-22/biden-says-the-u-s-would-defend-taiwan-from-attack-by-china

We started wars against Vietnam and Afghanistan with UN troops...
Where did it get us????

Re: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by China

<22fde29e-33d4-425a-b171-e2b682642fd8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6233&group=soc.culture.china#6233

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:45:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:45 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 7:42:53 AM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> A relatively speaking meaningless answer to a meaningless question.
> With its Taiwan Relations Act since Carter's time, the US has claimed the right but not the obligation to defend Taiwan again PRC attack.
>
> The real question is whether the US is obligated to defend Taiwan and at what cost.
>
> "President Joe Biden said the U.S. was committed to defending Taiwan from a Chinese attack, in some of his strongest comments yet as the administration faces calls to clarify its stance on the democratically ruled island.
>
> Biden answered “yes” when asked during a CNN town hall Thursday whether he could pledge to protect Taiwan. “I don’t want a Cold War with China -- I just want to make China understand that we are not going to step back, we are not going to change any of our views,” Biden told host Anderson Cooper in Baltimore."
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-22/biden-says-the-u-s-would-defend-taiwan-from-attack-by-china

-------------------------------
White House says no change in US policy toward Taiwan

The White House on Friday sought to clarify President Biden's comments
related to ensuring Taiwan's defense in the face of a potential Chinese
attack, saying U.S. policy toward the island is unchanged.

"The President was not announcing any change in our policy and there is
no change in our policy," a White House spokesperson said in response to
a request for comment from The Hill.

"The U.S. defense relationship with Taiwan is guided by the Taiwan Relations
Act. We will uphold our commitment under the Act, we will continue to support
Taiwan's self-defense, and we will continue to oppose any unilateral changes
to the status quo."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/white-house-says-no-change-in-us-policy-toward-taiwan/ar-AAPPxVq

In reality, the US proclaims a right to defend Taiwan if it chooses to with the
Taiwan Relations Act. But there is no commitment to uphold under the Act.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: [Nothing new] Biden Says U.S. Would Defend Taiwan From Attack by China