Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 06:34:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: James Bond Has No Time for China
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:34 UTC

"Behind all of these differences is a question: What kind of regime is China, really? A Marxist-Leninist state with capitalist trimmings? An authoritarian meritocracy? A fascist state with Maoist characteristics? A new form of digitized totalitarianism? A neo-Confucian order, channeling ancient conservatism through modern one-party rule? A dark-mirror version of internet-age America?

Americans have never exactly excelled at understanding other societies, and a few Chinese bad guys in James Bond movies obviously won’t shed the light we need. But Hollywood’s supine attitude toward Chinese power is a useful window into a larger problem: We need to see our great 21st-century rival clearly, and too often we see only through a glass darkly, if at all."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/16/opinion/james-bond-china.html

James Bond has no time for China.
But the article is also about Biden has no time for China.
And in general, Americans have no time for China. Consequently America's China policy is driven by domestic politics more than based on thorough understanding and accurate evaluation of China. As is, America could at most achieve lose-lose competition with China.

interests / soc.culture.china / James Bond Has No Time for China