Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. -- Henry David Thoreau

interests / soc.culture.china / [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

SubjectAuthor
* [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroyingltlee1
`* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Areltlee1
 +* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Arebmoore
 |+* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That AreRusty Wyse
 ||`* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Arebmoore
 || `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That AreRusty Wyse
 ||  `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Arebmoore
 ||   `- Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That AreRusty Wyse
 |`- Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Areltlee1
 `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Areltlee1
  +- Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Areltlee1
  `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Arebmoore
   `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Areltlee1
    `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Arebmoore
     `* Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Areltlee1
      `- Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Arebmoore

1
[Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<73ea1e2c-38b1-475f-8b45-36b5e243ecc4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6065&group=soc.culture.china#6065

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 16:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying
the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 23:58 UTC

"A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.

French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.

Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<1489bc3b-475b-455d-aa0e-ecab51f8d74an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6114&group=soc.culture.china#6114

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 07:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are
Destroying the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:48 UTC

On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> "A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
> But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.
>
> French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.
>
> Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html

In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
lose his own soul" looks like a good description.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<6fdfb70f-2fee-4435-8a69-21404d251aa1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6115&group=soc.culture.china#6115

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 08:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:35 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 7:48:05 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
> > But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.
> >
> > French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.
> >
> > Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."
> >
> > https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html
> In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> lose his own soul" looks like a good description.

You know the Bible? That's interesting. Your President Xi could learn a lot from it.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<83da5770-d220-4485-b180-64ec35fd64edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6121&group=soc.culture.china#6121

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:54:21 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:54 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 8:35:24 AM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 7:48:05 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
> > > But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.
> > >
> > > French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.
> > >
> > > Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter.. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."
> > >
> > > https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html
> > In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> > mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> > are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> > not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> > lose his own soul" looks like a good description.
> You know the Bible? That's interesting. Your President Xi could learn a lot from it.

Naaa..
You learn nothing from the Bible, only religious superstitions...
There is no God!!! no ghosts, no soul...

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<90be8263-90f4-441d-a10d-ad09cb6ef190n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6123&group=soc.culture.china#6123

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:02 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:54:23 AM UTC-7, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 8:35:24 AM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:

> > > In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> > > mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> > > are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> > > not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> > > lose his own soul" looks like a good description.
> > You know the Bible? That's interesting. Your President Xi could learn a lot from it.
> Naaa..
> You learn nothing from the Bible, only religious superstitions...
> There is no God!!! no ghosts, no soul...

When you are dead, and find out otherwise, you may regret those words...

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<0949cf26-a72d-4e2d-a43a-8da8df333841n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6125&group=soc.culture.china#6125

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:12:10 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:12 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:54:23 AM UTC-7, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > You know the Bible? That's interesting. Your President Xi could learn a lot from it.
> > Naaa..
> > You learn nothing from the Bible, only religious superstitions...
> > There is no God!!! no ghosts, no soul...
> When you are dead, and find out otherwise, you may regret those words...

No, I found a pile of bones, nothing more...

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<96ebd43e-4c98-4a02-9943-552b350f8e01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6131&group=soc.culture.china#6131

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:44:51 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:44 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:12:11 AM UTC-7, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:

> > > Naaa..
> > > You learn nothing from the Bible, only religious superstitions...
> > > There is no God!!! no ghosts, no soul...
> > When you are dead, and find out otherwise, you may regret those words....
> No, I found a pile of bones, nothing more...

Try to expand your awareness in the few years you have left.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<4616e10f-ed90-4360-832c-bdbcdfe41ae2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6133&group=soc.culture.china#6133

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: rst888w...@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:51 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:44:52 AM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:12:11 AM UTC-7, rst88...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > When you are dead, and find out otherwise, you may regret those words....
> > No, I found a pile of bones, nothing more...
> Try to expand your awareness in the few years you have left.

Wise man do not need to expand...
Wise man see all at all time...

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<bbe8bec8-a6d8-4bf0-b064-aa38543e0decn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6159&group=soc.culture.china#6159

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 04:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:21 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 10:35:24 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 7:48:05 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
> > > But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.
> > >
> > > French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.
> > >
> > > Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter.. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."
> > >
> > > https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html
> > In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> > mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> > are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> > not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> > lose his own soul" looks like a good description.

> You know the Bible? That's interesting. Your President Xi could learn a lot from it.

Whether one is a Christian or not, one can learn something from it either as literature
or as a mean to understand Western mind. After all, Western culture intertwines with
Christianity.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<58f20288-3728-4d40-acc8-28ba8a881242n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6160&group=soc.culture.china#6160

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 06:30:33 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 13:30 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:48:05 AM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
> > But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.
> >
> > French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.
> >
> > Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."
> >
> > https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html
> In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> lose his own soul" looks like a good description.

So far, "Divided We Fall" is the best book in understanding the US political polarization.
The book illustrates how Christianity is influencing US politics. For example, without King David
Cascade, Trump could not have won the 2020 election so unexpectedly.

On the other hand, reviewer Joshua Keating, thinks he is too optimistic about America's future.

"After 244 years—much older than most currently existing constitutional regimes—if we’ve
really become completely incapable of existing as one cohesive political community, then why,
other than a sentimental attachment to the Stars and Stripes, should red and blue Americans
continue to share a country? At the end of the Calexit scenario, he even writes that Americans
“mainly felt relief” after it was all over.

Instead, he thinks the worst consequences will be international. After the split-up of the United
States, he writes, “the peace that had been maintained through the overwhelming military and
economic might of the United States would not hold.” This is an accelerated version of the argument
Robert Kagan and others have made about America’s ongoing disengagement from the world.
Without the U.S. security guarantee, French imagines a return to great power conflict, with China
and Russia moving to invade their smaller neighbors. With all due respect to these countries, if the
best argument for the continued existence of the United States is the security of Estonia and
Taiwan, maybe it really is time to pack it in."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/david-french-divided-we-fall-review-secession-hmm.html

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<35a8f0c8-2ed7-4fbf-82c6-c71f7fe58b73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6228&group=soc.culture.china#6228

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 10:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:34 UTC

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 8:30:46 AM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> continue to share a country? At the end of the Calexit scenario, he even writes that Americans
> “mainly felt relief” after it was all over.
>
> Instead, he thinks the worst consequences will be international. After the split-up of the United
> States, he writes, “the peace that had been maintained through the overwhelming military and
> economic might of the United States would not hold.” This is an accelerated version of the argument
> Robert Kagan and others have made about America’s ongoing disengagement from the world.
> Without the U.S. security guarantee, French imagines a return to great power conflict, with China
> and Russia moving to invade their smaller neighbors. With all due respect to these countries, if the
> best argument for the continued existence of the United States is the security of Estonia and
> Taiwan, maybe it really is time to pack it in."

It is obvious that China is biggest winner of the US led world order and the US is decline, at least
relatively speaking during the last few decades. Yet many of the commentators, let alone politicians
still consider US weakness as momentary. Being democratic, bad leaders would be voted out. And
in the mean time, China is being dealt with. Everything would be fine as before.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<590dd9fe-3b29-4f73-afad-92422f355780n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6230&group=soc.culture.china#6230

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:27 UTC

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 6:30:46 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 9:48:05 AM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "A conservative evangelical Christian who has lived and worked among secular liberals, French understands better than most that coexistence with people of radically different backgrounds and beliefs is not only possible but necessary, and that it requires a basic respect for pluralism that fewer and fewer Americans seem willing to show.
> > > But for French, a commitment to pluralism is not merely a concession borne of ideological moderation but a prerequisite for keeping our big, messy, diverse experiment of a republic from breaking apart. This means that drag queens be allowed their story hour at a Sacramento public library (the genesis of the Ahmari versus French controversy) and that a Christian baker in Lakewood, Colo., be permitted to abstain from making wedding cakes for gay couples.
> > >
> > > French’s answer to our deepening divide is federalism, the constitutional principle that prioritizes “tolerance through self-governance and community autonomy.” To illustrate the dangerous consequences of what could happen if his plea goes unheeded, French presents a pair of chillingly believable, near-future secessionist scenarios involving California and Texas — a “Calexit” if the Supreme Court were to strike down the state’s sweeping gun confiscation law and a “Texit” initiated by a similar fracas over abortion. Both seem likelier than a Trumpian repeat of the Reichstag fire predicted by so many commentators.
> > >
> > > Four years into this unnerving presidency, America has ably resisted the depredations of a commander in chief who imitates a dictator on Twitter.. Whether it can withstand the centrifugal effects of its own divisions will be a much greater and more enduring challenge."
> > >
> > > https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/books/review/divided-we-fall-david-french.html
> > In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> > mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> > are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> > not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> > lose his own soul" looks like a good description.
> So far, "Divided We Fall" is the best book in understanding the US political polarization.
> The book illustrates how Christianity is influencing US politics. For example, without King David
> Cascade, Trump could not have won the 2020 election so unexpectedly.

You mean 2016. What is King David Cascade?

> On the other hand, reviewer Joshua Keating, thinks he is too optimistic about America's future.
>
> "After 244 years—much older than most currently existing constitutional regimes—if we’ve
> really become completely incapable of existing as one cohesive political community, then why,
> other than a sentimental attachment to the Stars and Stripes, should red and blue Americans
> continue to share a country? At the end of the Calexit scenario, he even writes that Americans
> “mainly felt relief” after it was all over.
>
> Instead, he thinks the worst consequences will be international. After the split-up of the United
> States, he writes, “the peace that had been maintained through the overwhelming military and
> economic might of the United States would not hold.” This is an accelerated version of the argument
> Robert Kagan and others have made about America’s ongoing disengagement from the world.
> Without the U.S. security guarantee, French imagines a return to great power conflict, with China
> and Russia moving to invade their smaller neighbors. With all due respect to these countries, if the
> best argument for the continued existence of the United States is the security of Estonia and
> Taiwan, maybe it really is time to pack it in."
>
> https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/david-french-divided-we-fall-review-secession-hmm.html

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<783facd8-d74b-49e4-b623-f5ad71658872n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6254&group=soc.culture.china#6254

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 06:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:16 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 1:27:41 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 6:30:46 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > In his book, David French sees both Democrats and Republicans are currently deep in their own
> > > mass movement. For many Americans find their political identities are of utmost importance. Many
> > > are actually adopting identities that conform with their political identity and shed identities that do
> > > not. French does not quote Mark 8:36 but "What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and
> > > lose his own soul" looks like a good description.
> > So far, "Divided We Fall" is the best book in understanding the US political polarization.
> > The book illustrates how Christianity is influencing US politics. For example, without King David
> > Cascade, Trump could not have won the 2020 election so unexpectedly.
> You mean 2016. What is King David Cascade?

Yes, you are right, Trump's unexpected won at 2016, not 2020.
Evangelical leaders spoke out for Trump, however flawed is Trump, he did not murder its own people like
King David. Yet God still chose King David to lead the people. Cascade indicates the rapid dissemination
and acceptance of the idea among evangelicals.

> > On the other hand, reviewer Joshua Keating, thinks he is too optimistic about America's future.
> >
> > "After 244 years—much older than most currently existing constitutional regimes—if we’ve
> > really become completely incapable of existing as one cohesive political community, then why,
> > other than a sentimental attachment to the Stars and Stripes, should red and blue Americans
> > continue to share a country? At the end of the Calexit scenario, he even writes that Americans
> > “mainly felt relief” after it was all over.
> >
> > Instead, he thinks the worst consequences will be international. After the split-up of the United
> > States, he writes, “the peace that had been maintained through the overwhelming military and
> > economic might of the United States would not hold.” This is an accelerated version of the argument
> > Robert Kagan and others have made about America’s ongoing disengagement from the world.
> > Without the U.S. security guarantee, French imagines a return to great power conflict, with China
> > and Russia moving to invade their smaller neighbors. With all due respect to these countries, if the
> > best argument for the continued existence of the United States is the security of Estonia and
> > Taiwan, maybe it really is time to pack it in."
> >
> > https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/david-french-divided-we-fall-review-secession-hmm.html

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<bbb2dedd-49a1-403d-b19f-182e086ee744n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6257&group=soc.culture.china#6257

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:28:05 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:28 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 6:16:33 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 1:27:41 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > So far, "Divided We Fall" is the best book in understanding the US political polarization.
> > > The book illustrates how Christianity is influencing US politics. For example, without King David
> > > Cascade, Trump could not have won the 2020 election so unexpectedly.
> > You mean 2016. What is King David Cascade?
> Yes, you are right, Trump's unexpected won at 2016, not 2020.
> Evangelical leaders spoke out for Trump, however flawed is Trump, he did not murder its own people like
> King David. Yet God still chose King David to lead the people. Cascade indicates the rapid dissemination
> and acceptance of the idea among evangelicals.
> > > On the other hand, reviewer Joshua Keating, thinks he is too optimistic about America's future.

David was a great king who had flaws. Trump was an awful leader who has no redeeming qualities.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<3ad4dd5c-e758-4e9c-8a2a-24922c6a5ecan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6258&group=soc.culture.china#6258

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:04 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 11:28:06 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 6:16:33 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > You mean 2016. What is King David Cascade?
> > Yes, you are right, Trump's unexpected won at 2016, not 2020.
> > Evangelical leaders spoke out for Trump, however flawed is Trump, he did not murder its own people like
> > King David. Yet God still chose King David to lead the people. Cascade indicates the rapid dissemination
> > and acceptance of the idea among evangelicals.
> David was a great king who had flaws. Trump was an awful leader who has no redeeming qualities.

If one does not believe in god, leadership, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
If one believes in god, everything is a matter of god's plan.

Re: [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country

<99b2997a-f9b2-441b-8e31-0e33caf61d4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6261&group=soc.culture.china#6261

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
Destroying the Country
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:28 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 10:04:46 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 11:28:06 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > Yes, you are right, Trump's unexpected won at 2016, not 2020.
> > > Evangelical leaders spoke out for Trump, however flawed is Trump, he did not murder its own people like
> > > King David. Yet God still chose King David to lead the people. Cascade indicates the rapid dissemination
> > > and acceptance of the idea among evangelicals.
> > David was a great king who had flaws. Trump was an awful leader who has no redeeming qualities.
> If one does not believe in god, leadership, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
> If one believes in god, everything is a matter of god's plan.

Not completely true.

interests / soc.culture.china / [Divided We Fall by David French] The Divisions That Are Destroying the Country