From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: rec.humor
Subject: An Atheist in the Woods
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 13:36:41 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Mon, 1 May 2023 17:36 UTC

An atheist was taking a walk through the woods, admiring all that the accident
of evolution had created. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What
beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he walked alongside the river he
heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned to look, just in time to
see a seven foot tall grizzly charge towards him. He ran up the path as fast
as he could and tripped. As he tried the get up, the grizzly was on top of
him. At that instant, he cried out, "Oh my God!". Just then time stopped,
the bear froze, the forest was silent, a bright light shone upon the man, and
a voice came out of the sky saying, "You deny My existence all these years;
teach others I don't exist; even credit My creation to a cosmic accident, and
now do you expect me to help out of this predicament? Am I to count you
as a believer?" The atheist, ever so proud, looked into the light and said,
"It would be hypocritical to ask to be a Christian after all these years.
But, could you make the bear a Christian?" "Very well", said the voice.
As the light went out, the river ran, the sounds of the forest came back,
and the bear put his paw down. The man breathed a sigh of relief.
Then the bear brought both paws together, bowed his head, and said,
"Lord, I thank You for this food I am about to receive."