Better hope the life-inspector doesn't come around while you have your life in such a mess.

interests / alt.home.repair / OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

SubjectAuthor
* OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minemicky
+* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|`* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minecshenk
| +* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minebadgolferman
| |+* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
| ||`* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minebadgolferman
| || +* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
| || `* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mineRetirednoguilt
| ||  `- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minecshenk
| |`- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minemicky
| +- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
| `- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mineScott Lurndal
+- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minebadgolferman
+* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minehubops
|`* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minecshenk
| `- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of minecshenk
+* Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mineFrank
|`- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mineEd P
+- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mineRetirednoguilt
`- Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mineToljah Soh

1
OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<se982j12vihdnfkmq6egklmamvokcfftv5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57449&group=alt.home.repair#57449

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:22:44 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:22 UTC

A moral, philosophical question.

That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.

I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.

Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

For example:
https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
$60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as much.

Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's complained
about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there are far cheaper
remedies for constipation.

Decades ago she used to work in a natural food store. I think most
things they sell are a waste of money, and this one is expensive.

OTOH, I hate to tell her the reason I don't want to, because if she
talks me into it or gets someone else to do it, I might have damaged the
placebo effect it could have had on her.

She lives in a pretty expensive n'hood but a couple of the houses like
hers are run-down, not remodeled. Hers was built in 1870 or so, needs
loads of work. She has very little money. Her fridge failed and I
offered to buy her a new one, but then she put that on hold until her
floor has been recovered, which may take forever. I think she has a
cube fridge in her bedroom. She has many neighbors who walk by while
she sits on the porch, a 19th century porch that is right next to the
sidewalk. Some do chores for her, like personally washing her dishes or
paying for a maid once in a while to clean.

I used to be in charge of fixing up the cellphone someone gave her, but
recently someone gave her a second phone! I said to her before he did
it, "But then you'd have two?"

Around New Years, I bought for her something you put in your ears and
it's supposed to fix them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRD32NZD Her
hearing in one ear is bad since she had a tooth pulled and an infection.
$35 which she said she would reimburse me, but I have not seen her since
then. The dentist gave her antibiotics but it seems it was not
enough. She wants to go to an audiologist who advertises on the radio.
I'm sure she's very nice but she's an audiologist, not a doctor. She
missed her appointment with the Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but may make
it to the new appointment

More details possible but this is enough to get the idea.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<FHwVN.102076$au2.31000@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57450&group=alt.home.repair#57450

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:59:14 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:59 UTC

micky wrote on 4/22/2024 12:22 PM:
> A moral, philosophical question.
>
> That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>
> I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
> very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
> that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>
> Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>
> For example:
> https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
> $60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as much.
>
> Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's complained
> about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there are far cheaper
> remedies for constipation.

Considering her old age, she might be taking prescription painkillers
that contain opioid or codeine (like Tylenol #3), which will cause
constipation. Constipation will lead to gas and bloating because the gas
produced by gut bacteria cannot exit the body through regular defecation
(that's why dead body floats).

Eating oatmeal can promote regularity. Prune juice can induce a run, if
she can handle the sugar content. There are lots of laxatives available
on the drugstore shelves in pill or liquid form to choose from.

> Decades ago she used to work in a natural food store. I think most
> things they sell are a waste of money, and this one is expensive.
>
> OTOH, I hate to tell her the reason I don't want to, because if she
> talks me into it or gets someone else to do it, I might have damaged the
> placebo effect it could have had on her.
>

> She lives in a pretty expensive n'hood but a couple of the houses like
> hers are run-down, not remodeled. Hers was built in 1870 or so, needs
> loads of work. She has very little money. Her fridge failed and I
> offered to buy her a new one, but then she put that on hold until her
> floor has been recovered, which may take forever. I think she has a
> cube fridge in her bedroom. She has many neighbors who walk by while
> she sits on the porch, a 19th century porch that is right next to the
> sidewalk. Some do chores for her, like personally washing her dishes or
> paying for a maid once in a while to clean.
>
> I used to be in charge of fixing up the cellphone someone gave her, but
> recently someone gave her a second phone! I said to her before he did
> it, "But then you'd have two?"
>
> Around New Years, I bought for her something you put in your ears and
> it's supposed to fix them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRD32NZD Her
> hearing in one ear is bad since she had a tooth pulled and an infection.
> $35 which she said she would reimburse me, but I have not seen her since
> then. The dentist gave her antibiotics but it seems it was not
> enough. She wants to go to an audiologist who advertises on the radio.
> I'm sure she's very nice but she's an audiologist, not a doctor. She
> missed her appointment with the Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but may make
> it to the new appointment
>
> More details possible but this is enough to get the idea.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<xn0okvjpe779u4s009@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57451&group=alt.home.repair#57451

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:12:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:12 UTC

micky wrote:

>A moral, philosophical question.
>
>That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>
>I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer,
>and very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural
>medicine that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>
>Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?
>
>https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>
>For example:
>https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
>$60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as much.
>
>Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's
>complained about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there
>are far cheaper remedies for constipation.
>
>Decades ago she used to work in a natural food store. I think most
>things they sell are a waste of money, and this one is expensive.
>
>OTOH, I hate to tell her the reason I don't want to, because if she
>talks me into it or gets someone else to do it, I might have damaged
>the placebo effect it could have had on her.
>

>She lives in a pretty expensive n'hood but a couple of the houses like
>hers are run-down, not remodeled. Hers was built in 1870 or so, needs
>loads of work. She has very little money. Her fridge failed and I
>offered to buy her a new one, but then she put that on hold until her
>floor has been recovered, which may take forever. I think she has a
>cube fridge in her bedroom. She has many neighbors who walk by while
>she sits on the porch, a 19th century porch that is right next to the
>sidewalk. Some do chores for her, like personally washing her dishes
>or paying for a maid once in a while to clean.
>
>I used to be in charge of fixing up the cellphone someone gave her,
>but recently someone gave her a second phone! I said to her before he
>did it, "But then you'd have two?"
>
>Around New Years, I bought for her something you put in your ears and
>it's supposed to fix them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRD32NZD Her
>hearing in one ear is bad since she had a tooth pulled and an
>infection. $35 which she said she would reimburse me, but I have not
>seen her since then. The dentist gave her antibiotics but it
>seems it was not enough. She wants to go to an audiologist who
>advertises on the radio. I'm sure she's very nice but she's an
>audiologist, not a doctor. She missed her appointment with the Ear
>Nose and Throat doctor, but may make it to the new appointment
>
>More details possible but this is enough to get the idea.

She is an adult who has asked you to do her a favor. Honor her own
personal and life decisions.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<c18d2j1pn8bu3u8rpj6uhar28lee88hirv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57452&group=alt.home.repair#57452

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:44:33 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:44 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:22:44 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>A moral, philosophical question.
>
>That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>
>I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
>very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
>that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.

Do not help her to attain any medications that aren't properly
prescribed by her doctor. Even over-the-counter herbal products
can be a problem with certain people and/or other medications
or supplements.
Advise her next-of-kin / POA / caregivers as you are able.
John T.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<v06ala$13kia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57453&group=alt.home.repair#57453

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:35:18 -0400
 by: Frank - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:35 UTC

On 4/22/2024 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
> A moral, philosophical question.
>
> That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>
> I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
> very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
> that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>
> Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>
> For example:
> https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
> $60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as much.
>
> Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's complained
> about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there are far cheaper
> remedies for constipation.
>
> Decades ago she used to work in a natural food store. I think most
> things they sell are a waste of money, and this one is expensive.
>
> OTOH, I hate to tell her the reason I don't want to, because if she
> talks me into it or gets someone else to do it, I might have damaged the
> placebo effect it could have had on her.
>

> She lives in a pretty expensive n'hood but a couple of the houses like
> hers are run-down, not remodeled. Hers was built in 1870 or so, needs
> loads of work. She has very little money. Her fridge failed and I
> offered to buy her a new one, but then she put that on hold until her
> floor has been recovered, which may take forever. I think she has a
> cube fridge in her bedroom. She has many neighbors who walk by while
> she sits on the porch, a 19th century porch that is right next to the
> sidewalk. Some do chores for her, like personally washing her dishes or
> paying for a maid once in a while to clean.
>
> I used to be in charge of fixing up the cellphone someone gave her, but
> recently someone gave her a second phone! I said to her before he did
> it, "But then you'd have two?"
>
> Around New Years, I bought for her something you put in your ears and
> it's supposed to fix them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRD32NZD Her
> hearing in one ear is bad since she had a tooth pulled and an infection.
> $35 which she said she would reimburse me, but I have not seen her since
> then. The dentist gave her antibiotics but it seems it was not
> enough. She wants to go to an audiologist who advertises on the radio.
> I'm sure she's very nice but she's an audiologist, not a doctor. She
> missed her appointment with the Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but may make
> it to the new appointment
>
> More details possible but this is enough to get the idea.

You are reminding me of this 80 year old guy I know of who is showing
obvious signs of dementia.

He wants me to vote for him. Should I?

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<v06anl$13kqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57454&group=alt.home.repair#57454

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:36:35 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:36 UTC

On 4/22/2024 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
> A moral, philosophical question.
>
> That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>
> I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
> very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
> that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>
> Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>
> For example:
> https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
> $60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as much.
>
> Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's complained
> about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there are far cheaper
> remedies for constipation.
>
> Decades ago she used to work in a natural food store. I think most
> things they sell are a waste of money, and this one is expensive.
>
> OTOH, I hate to tell her the reason I don't want to, because if she
> talks me into it or gets someone else to do it, I might have damaged the
> placebo effect it could have had on her.
>

> She lives in a pretty expensive n'hood but a couple of the houses like
> hers are run-down, not remodeled. Hers was built in 1870 or so, needs
> loads of work. She has very little money. Her fridge failed and I
> offered to buy her a new one, but then she put that on hold until her
> floor has been recovered, which may take forever. I think she has a
> cube fridge in her bedroom. She has many neighbors who walk by while
> she sits on the porch, a 19th century porch that is right next to the
> sidewalk. Some do chores for her, like personally washing her dishes or
> paying for a maid once in a while to clean.
>
> I used to be in charge of fixing up the cellphone someone gave her, but
> recently someone gave her a second phone! I said to her before he did
> it, "But then you'd have two?"
>
> Around New Years, I bought for her something you put in your ears and
> it's supposed to fix them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRD32NZD Her
> hearing in one ear is bad since she had a tooth pulled and an infection.
> $35 which she said she would reimburse me, but I have not seen her since
> then. The dentist gave her antibiotics but it seems it was not
> enough. She wants to go to an audiologist who advertises on the radio.
> I'm sure she's very nice but she's an audiologist, not a doctor. She
> missed her appointment with the Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but may make
> it to the new appointment
>
> More details possible but this is enough to get the idea.

To the best of your ability, you need to decide if you believe that she
is of sound mind. Because she used to work in a health food store
suggests that she may have long standing minority opinions favoring
unconventional medical practice. However, her current interest in
products that you would not purchase or use does not make the diagnosis
of her being mentally incompetent. Forget about her age. Irrelevant.
People can suffer premature dementia much earlier than 82 and some
centenarians are of completely sound mind.

If you believe that she is of sound mind, grant her the agency she
warrants. You are not a physician. You can share your opinion with her
about what she wants to buy with her own money, but if she remains
adamant, it's not your role to deny her her agency. If you have doubts
about her mental status, I'd defer helping her to probably waste her
money and possibly even endanger her health. Sounds as though you have
a long standing relationship with her and care about her. If you can
obtain a point of contact for a close relative, perhaps you would be
willing to contact that person and express your concern about her. If
you don't have or can't obtain a point of contact for a close contact,
perhaps there's a social agency or AARP sponsored resource you could
contact to express your concern as a friend and ask if or how they might
go about trying to assist/assess her. Just remember, you are not her
legal guardian nor are you obligated as a friend to do her bidding.
Keep us informed about what you do and how it plays out.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<6626cb39$0$6554$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57457&group=alt.home.repair#57457

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:40:26 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:40 UTC

On 4/22/2024 2:35 PM, Frank wrote:
> On 4/22/2024 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
>> A moral, philosophical question.
>>
>> That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>>
>> I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
>> very little money.   She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
>> that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>>
>> Should I order it for anyhow?  Should I participate in cheating her?
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>>
>> For example:
>> https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
>> $60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as much.
>>
>> Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's complained
>> about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there are far cheaper
>> remedies for constipation.
>>
>> Decades ago she used to work in a natural food store.   I think most
>> things they sell are a waste of money, and this one is expensive.
>>
>> OTOH, I hate to tell her the reason I don't want to, because if she
>> talks me into it or gets someone else to do it, I might have damaged the
>> placebo effect it could have had on her.
>>

>> She lives in a pretty expensive n'hood but a couple of the houses like
>> hers are run-down, not remodeled.  Hers was built in 1870 or so, needs
>> loads of work.   She has very little money.   Her fridge failed and I
>> offered to buy her a new one, but then she put that on hold until her
>> floor has been recovered, which may take forever.  I think she has a
>> cube fridge in her bedroom.   She has many neighbors who walk by while
>> she sits on the porch, a 19th century porch that is right next to the
>> sidewalk.  Some do chores for her, like personally washing her dishes or
>> paying for a maid once in a while to clean.
>>
>> I used to be in charge of fixing up the cellphone someone gave her, but
>> recently someone gave her a second phone! I said to her before he did
>> it, "But then you'd have two?"
>>
>> Around New Years, I bought for her something you put in your ears and
>> it's supposed to fix them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRD32NZD  Her
>> hearing in one ear is bad since she had a tooth pulled and an infection.
>> $35 which she said she would reimburse me, but I have not seen her since
>> then.     The dentist gave her antibiotics but it seems it was not
>> enough. She wants to go to an audiologist who advertises on the radio.
>> I'm sure she's very nice but she's an audiologist, not a doctor.  She
>> missed her appointment with the Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but may make
>> it to the new appointment
>>
>> More details possible but this is enough to get the idea.
>
> You are reminding me of this 80 year old guy I know of who is showing
> obvious signs of dementia.
>
> He wants me to vote for him.  Should I?

Sadly, the only other choice is a 77 year old that is starting to show
signs too.

The country would be better off if both dropped out

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<uwfHErJrJjvBXhUXIJLDYgQJKOwzfjat@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57466&group=alt.home.repair#57466

From: toljah....@sooth.sayer (Toljah Soh)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 24 12:11:42 UTC
 by: Toljah Soh - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:11 UTC

micky wrote:
> A moral, philosophical question.
>
> That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>
> I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer, and
> very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural medicine
> that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>
> Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?

Maybe take her to a pharmacy-trained BigPharma.guv doctor? (Look for perfect white teeth and an official stethoscope necktie.)

At the very minimum, Dr. Pharma will likely prescribe statins, a couple blood pressure pills, blood sugar meds, blood thinners and maybe ozempic.
She'll likely need follow-up care to adjust her meds and add more meds to counter the side-effects of the original meds.
Dr. Pharma will prolly ensure she's fully 'boosted' too. Always follow the science cuz it's safe and effective.

In Pharma We Trust.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<rHGdnU6INeZgbrr7nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57467&group=alt.home.repair#57467

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:46:37 +0000
 by: cshenk - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:46 UTC

😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

> micky wrote on 4/22/2024 12:22 PM:
> > A moral, philosophical question.
> >
> > That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
> >
> > I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer,
> > and very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural
> > medicine that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
> >
> > Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

> > For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
> > $60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as
> > much.
> >
> > Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's
> > complained about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there
> > are far cheaper remedies for constipation.
>
> Considering her old age, she might be taking prescription painkillers
> that contain opioid or codeine (like Tylenol #3), which will cause
> constipation. Constipation will lead to gas and bloating because the
> gas produced by gut bacteria cannot exit the body through regular
> defecation (that's why dead body floats).
>
> Eating oatmeal can promote regularity. Prune juice can induce a run,
> if she can handle the sugar content. There are lots of laxatives
> available on the drugstore shelves in pill or liquid form to choose
> from.

I usually ignore the OT comments but here's some simple fixes if she
has regulatity problems.

Docusate sodium. This is the safe stool softener. Dosage is 50mg. It
won't cause boating and isn't a laxitive. Can run it by her Doctor for
drug interactions but shouldn't be any. This is easy to find in any
drug store and is inexpensive. (5$ at most for 30 pills but she only
takes it when she needs it. Works out to a 2 year supply here).

Next. Totally natural foods that regulate things (lots of natural
fiber) leafy greens. Good choices are based on her tastes. Top
recommended picks (may need to source at an Asian grocery with
produce): Bok Choy, mustard greens, Gai Lan (Chinese broccoli, very
tender stems and leaves vice western Broccoli heads). Anything from
the dark leafy greens sets work and would list brussells sprouts but
they are expensive.

I figure she'd eat oatmeal if she liked it so if she doesn't it's
either too much hassle to fix or she doesn't like it.

Gift her with a Spring surprise if she doesn't have a stove top steamer
(her speed match, avoid actual appliances unless you know she likes and
uses gadgets).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3ESZZK/

Do check as she may have one. Keep to simple double boiler stove top.
Dob't get the cheap bamboo ones if you see them. Not durable or very
washable. Put water in the bottm pot the put food in the top and eat.
I like these with just butter and some salt. The Doctor will be
delighted with this in the diet. She can also use the steamer on all
sorts of things like corn on the cob, potatoes, yams, apples!

My steamer has a permanent place on the stove top, but I cook very
Asian influenced foods mostly.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<lgudnRyPz9D_aLr7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57468&group=alt.home.repair#57468

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:52:34 +0000
 by: cshenk - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:52 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:22:44 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A moral, philosophical question.
> >
> > That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
> >
> > I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer,
> > and very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural
> > medicine that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
> >

> Do not help her to attain any medications that aren't properly
> prescribed by her doctor. Even over-the-counter herbal products
> can be a problem with certain people and/or other medications
> or supplements.
> Advise her next-of-kin / POA / caregivers as you are able.
> John T.

Good advice, I added that too. Docusate Sodium, not recommended if she
takoil for constipation. No others listed other than don't take over a
week straight. It's an 'as needed' thing. The leafy greens are fair
game though!

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<xn0okx35g8tce14003@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57469&group=alt.home.repair#57469

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:17:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:17 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> [...]
>they are expensive.
>
>I figure she'd eat oatmeal if she liked it so if she doesn't it's
>either too much hassle to fix or she doesn't like it.
>
>Gift her with a Spring surprise if she doesn't have a stove top
>steamer (her speed match, avoid actual appliances unless you know she
>likes and uses gadgets).
>
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3ESZZK/
>
>Do check as she may have one. Keep to simple double boiler stove top.
>Dob't get the cheap bamboo ones if you see them. Not durable or very
>washable. Put water in the bottm pot the put food in the top and eat.
>I like these with just butter and some salt. The Doctor will be
>delighted with this in the diet. She can also use the steamer on all
>sorts of things like corn on the cob, potatoes, yams, apples!
>
>My steamer has a permanent place on the stove top, but I cook very

My wife has had a serious problem with constipation for years. She's
tried all the medications and been examined by numerous specialists.
None of that helped her.

She finally started eating fermented sauerkraut or kimchee on a daily
basis and hasn't had a problem since. She buys two heads of cabbage
and shreds it up. I squeeze the juice out of the shredded cabbage.
She puts some sea salt in it and the whole thing goes into an air tight
container. Every day or so she lets some of the gasses out of the
container and after a week or two it's ready to eat. Nothing has
worked as well as that simple natural solution.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<elVVN.71256$Lw2.28802@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57470&group=alt.home.repair#57470

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:02:01 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:02 UTC

cshenk wrote on 4/23/2024 1:46 PM:
> [...]
> they are expensive.
>
> I figure she'd eat oatmeal if she liked it so if she doesn't it's
> either too much hassle to fix or she doesn't like it.
>
> Gift her with a Spring surprise if she doesn't have a stove top steamer
> (her speed match, avoid actual appliances unless you know she likes and
> uses gadgets).
>
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3ESZZK/
>
> Do check as she may have one. Keep to simple double boiler stove top.
> Dob't get the cheap bamboo ones if you see them. Not durable or very
> washable. Put water in the bottm pot the put food in the top and eat.
> I like these with just butter and some salt. The Doctor will be
> delighted with this in the diet. She can also use the steamer on all
> sorts of things like corn on the cob, potatoes, yams, apples!
>
> My steamer has a permanent place on the stove top, but I cook very

Maybe you want to try my method of steaming vegetables.

I use my microwave oven to steam vegetables in a 2qt glass batter bowl
with lid:

Anchor Hocking Batter Bowl, 2 Quart Glass Mixing Bowl with Blue Lid

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-2-Quart-Glass-Batter/dp/B0000CFQ5C/

It is expensive at Amazon because it is heavy. It will be a lot cheaper
at Walmart or any big box store, especially when it is on sale.

After washing your vegetables, put the vegetables in the glass bowl,
then add cooking oil. You don't have to toss the vegetables to mix the
oil. You simply add enough water to cover the vegetables, and then use a
spoon or spatula to stir the vegetables so the the oil will coat all the
vegetable. It depends on how much oil you have put into the bowl before
you add water, you will see that the vegetables will look shiny because
of the coating of cooking oil. Then pour the water away. If you haven't
put too much oil, there shouldn't be any oil going down the drain when
you pour the water out (because the oil has coated all the vegetable in
the bowl). Make sure you pour out as much water as possible. You don't
need a spinner. Just empty the water from the bowl, then put the
silicone lid on and set the microwave to 2-3 minutes, depending on the
power of the microwave and your personal taste. After nuking the
vegetables in the glass bowl with lid, open the lid at the spout a
little bit to pour out the water (vegetables will lose water when
heated). Then the remove the lid and add Chinese oyster sauce to taste,
and pour the vegetables into a cold container.

The caveat is that you have to judge by experience how long to nuke the
vegetables in the glass mixing bowl with lid. I use about 2-3 minutes.
After you have nuked the vegetables, you must remove the lid and pour
the hot vegetables into a cold container to cool down. If you leave the
vegetables inside the hot bowl with lid after nuking, the vegetables
will loose more water, loose the green colour and turn yellow.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<FzVVN.23849$RQ2.11338@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57471&group=alt.home.repair#57471

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:17:24 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:17 UTC

badgolferman wrote on 4/23/2024 4:17 PM:
> [...]
>> delighted with this in the diet. She can also use the steamer on all
>> sorts of things like corn on the cob, potatoes, yams, apples!
>>
>> My steamer has a permanent place on the stove top, but I cook very
>> Asian influenced foods mostly.
>
> My wife has had a serious problem with constipation for years. She's
> tried all the medications and been examined by numerous specialists.
> None of that helped her.
>
> She finally started eating fermented sauerkraut or kimchee on a daily
> basis and hasn't had a problem since. She buys two heads of cabbage
> and shreds it up. I squeeze the juice out of the shredded cabbage.
> She puts some sea salt in it and the whole thing goes into an air tight
> container. Every day or so she lets some of the gasses out of the
> container and after a week or two it's ready to eat. Nothing has
> worked as well as that simple natural solution.

I hope you have forgotten to mention seeding the shredded cabbage with
some commercial kimchee, otherwise you won't know what bacteria will
colonize the cabbage in the container. I think you need to add vinegar
and hot chili too. After you have made a badge of homemade kimchee, then
you can use that to seed the next badge of kimchee. You should tell you
wife that the kimchee container doesn't have to be airtight. In the old
days soy sauce and kimchee were fermented in large ceramic urns with a
ceramic dish sitting loosely on top as lid.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/EBG16J/in-korea-soy-sauce-was-traditionally-made-by-allowing-the-soybeans-EBG16J.jpg

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<mcag2jdns3lfo4i424q30t44s0slg5ls46@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57473&group=alt.home.repair#57473

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:38:00 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:38 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:17:42 -0000 (UTC),
"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>!
>>
>>My steamer has a permanent place on the stove top, but I cook very
>>Asian influenced foods mostly.
>

>My wife has had a serious problem with constipation for years. She's
>tried all the medications and been examined by numerous specialists.
>None of that helped her.
>
>She finally started eating fermented sauerkraut or kimchee on a daily
>basis and hasn't had a problem since.

My mother told me that my father, born in 1892, tried to eat sauerkraut
every day. She seemed to think it was so he could live long, and since
he died at 63, she thought it didn't work. But maybe she was wrong
about the purpose.

> She buys two heads of cabbage
>and shreds it up. I squeeze the juice out of the shredded cabbage.
>She puts some sea salt in it and the whole thing goes into an air tight
>container. Every day or so she lets some of the gasses out of the
>container and after a week or two it's ready to eat. Nothing has
>worked as well as that simple natural solution.

That's great.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<xn0oky3ui9q01lj005@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57481&group=alt.home.repair#57481

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:31:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:31 UTC

😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

> [...]
>>cabbage and shreds it up. I squeeze the juice out of the shredded
>>cabbage. She puts some sea salt in it and the whole thing goes
>>into an air tight container. Every day or so she lets some of the
>>gasses out of the container and after a week or two it's ready to
>>eat. Nothing has worked as well as that simple natural solution.
>
>I hope you have forgotten to mention seeding the shredded cabbage
>with some commercial kimchee, otherwise you won't know what bacteria
>will colonize the cabbage in the container. I think you need to add
>vinegar and hot chili too. After you have made a badge of homemade
>kimchee, then you can use that to seed the next badge of kimchee. You
>should tell you wife that the kimchee container doesn't have to be
>airtight. In the old days soy sauce and kimchee were fermented in
>large ceramic urns with a ceramic dish sitting loosely on top as lid.

She doesn't make kimchee, she buys that from Costco. It's the
sauerkraut we make at home. Having said that, kimchee is not a usual
staple for her, just an occassional treat.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<Nt6WN.71264$Lw2.2569@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57484&group=alt.home.repair#57484

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 07:58:35 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:58 UTC

badgolferman wrote on 4/24/2024 7:31 AM:
> 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>
>> badgolferman wrote on 4/23/2024 4:17 PM:

>>> My wife has had a serious problem with constipation for years.
>>> She's tried all the medications and been examined by numerous
>>> specialists. None of that helped her.
>>>
>>> She finally started eating fermented sauerkraut or kimchee on a
>>> daily basis and hasn't had a problem since. She buys two heads of
>>> cabbage and shreds it up. I squeeze the juice out of the shredded
>>> cabbage. She puts some sea salt in it and the whole thing goes
>>> into an air tight container. Every day or so she lets some of the
>>> gasses out of the container and after a week or two it's ready to
>>> eat. Nothing has worked as well as that simple natural solution.
>> I hope you have forgotten to mention seeding the shredded cabbage
>> with some commercial kimchee, otherwise you won't know what bacteria
>> will colonize the cabbage in the container. I think you need to add
>> vinegar and hot chili too. After you have made a [batch] of homemade
>> kimchee, then you can use that to seed the next [batch] of kimchee. You
>> should tell you wife that the kimchee container doesn't have to be
>> airtight. In the old days soy sauce and kimchee were fermented in
>> large ceramic urns with a ceramic dish sitting loosely on top as lid.
>>
>> https://c7.alamy.com/comp/EBG16J/in-korea-soy-sauce-was-traditionally-made-by-allowing-the-soybeans-EBG16J.jpg
>
> She doesn't make kimchee, she buys that from Costco. It's the
> sauerkraut we make at home. Having said that, kimchee is not a usual
> staple for her, just an occassional treat.

It's the same idea. She should use some commercial sauerkraut to seed a
new batch, otherwise the whole batch might be colonized by deleterious
bacteria. That's why wineries always seed their vat of grape juice with
their desired variety of yeast. Same with making soy sauce, kimchee,
sauerkraut and wine, once the desired fermenting microorganism is
established in the container, there will be no chance of spoilage by
deleterious organism. She shouldn't use airtight containers. Most
fermentation processes generate carbon dioxide. A loose lid can help
bleed the carbon dioxide away. The final product can be kept in air
tight container because the fermentation process has finished.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<l8sq0nFj0n5U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57488&group=alt.home.repair#57488

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: 24 Apr 2024 16:23:52 GMT
 by: rbowman - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 16:23 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 07:58:35 -0400, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

> It's the same idea. She should use some commercial sauerkraut to seed a
> new batch, otherwise the whole batch might be colonized by deleterious
> bacteria.

https://foodhow.com/fermented-probiotic-foods/

Some commercial sauerkraut is pasteurized. I've never had a problem with
letting wild lactobacilli do their thing.

https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/1939/chapter/3#15

The Dutch found that using a prior batch as a started introduced a strain
found in the later stages rather than some of the earlier strains that
added flavor. This produced a really sour sauerkraut.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<v0bft8$2et7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57492&group=alt.home.repair#57492

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:35:35 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 17:35 UTC

On 4/24/2024 7:31 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>
>> badgolferman wrote on 4/23/2024 4:17 PM:

>>> My wife has had a serious problem with constipation for years.
>>> She's tried all the medications and been examined by numerous
>>> specialists. None of that helped her.
>>>
>>> She finally started eating fermented sauerkraut or kimchee on a
>>> daily basis and hasn't had a problem since. She buys two heads of
>>> cabbage and shreds it up. I squeeze the juice out of the shredded
>>> cabbage. She puts some sea salt in it and the whole thing goes
>>> into an air tight container. Every day or so she lets some of the
>>> gasses out of the container and after a week or two it's ready to
>>> eat. Nothing has worked as well as that simple natural solution.
>>
>> I hope you have forgotten to mention seeding the shredded cabbage
>> with some commercial kimchee, otherwise you won't know what bacteria
>> will colonize the cabbage in the container. I think you need to add
>> vinegar and hot chili too. After you have made a badge of homemade
>> kimchee, then you can use that to seed the next badge of kimchee. You
>> should tell you wife that the kimchee container doesn't have to be
>> airtight. In the old days soy sauce and kimchee were fermented in
>> large ceramic urns with a ceramic dish sitting loosely on top as lid.
>>
>> https://c7.alamy.com/comp/EBG16J/in-korea-soy-sauce-was-traditionally-made-by-allowing-the-soybeans-EBG16J.jpg
>

> She doesn't make kimchee, she buys that from Costco. It's the
> sauerkraut we make at home. Having said that, kimchee is not a usual
> staple for her, just an occassional treat.

I agree that fermented foods are generally considered quite healthful
(and I agree). However, I don't recommend that you suggest your elderly
neighbor consume fermented foods unless cleared by her personal
physician. Elderly people often have high blood pressure, heart
disease, and/or reduced kidney function. Each of those conditions is
likely to require a salt-restricted diet. Fermented foods, including
most condiments such as pickles, canned or jarred olives, etc. as well
as sauerkraut, miso and kimchee contain a huge amount of salt. I agree
with a previous respondent that OTC docusate is much safer for the
average geriatric patient (although docusate may be too gentle to be
effective). If docusate doesn't help, a gentle osmotic laxative, such
as Miralax or it's cheaper generic equivalent may be more helpful.

In my personal experience, I find that many commonly recommended high
fiber foods actually bind me, even though I consume plenty of water.
What seems to help me the most is eating between 1/2 -1 ripe, raw
Bartlett Pear each day. Unless the patient has specific food
intolerances, allergies, or a digestive disorder that is made worse by
high fiber foods, it's sometimes necessary for a patient to experiment
with different high fiber foods until they find what is best tolerated
and also effective for their chronic constipation.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<v0bhmb$2fa8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57495&group=alt.home.repair#57495

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:06:01 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:06 UTC

On 4/24/2024 12:23 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 07:58:35 -0400, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>
>> It's the same idea. She should use some commercial sauerkraut to seed a
>> new batch, otherwise the whole batch might be colonized by deleterious
>> bacteria.
>
> https://foodhow.com/fermented-probiotic-foods/
>
> Some commercial sauerkraut is pasteurized. I've never had a problem with
> letting wild lactobacilli do their thing.

Same hold true for yogurt. Most of what's available in the dairy case
has been pasteurized, killing all those beneficial lactobacilli and
contains added sugar. I've been making my own yogurt for decades. It
takes just a little more than an hour to prepare after dinner and I let
it ferment for 12 hrs. overnight. I use 2 Tbs from the last batch as a
starter for the next. Haven't had to use a fresh envelope of starter
for almost 5 years now. What I make is also much healthier than what's
sold in stores and much cheaper. My recipe: 28 oz. skim milk, 1/3 cup
non-fat powdered milk, 2 Tbs starter. I use a vintage Salton electric
yogurt maker which has 5 ceramic cups with plastic caps, each holding
just a little more than 5 oz of liquid. It also comes with an
idiot-proof thermometer with 2 lines embossed on it. I also have an
immersion cooking thermometer that clips to the side of a saucepan.
Technique: Pour milk into saucepan. Place on cooktop on moderately high
heat. With continuous stirring with a silicone spatula, slowly add the
dry powered milk stirring vigorously to dissolve. Continue stirring
continuously until temp = 200 F. If you've stirred continuously, you
won't burn milk on the bottom of the saucepan whether non-stick or not.
(I have an induction cook top so I use stainless steel saucepans.) Turn
off heat, move off the hot cook top burner, remove the cooking
thermometer and replace with the idiot-proof thermometer. Cover. Set
timer for about 50 minutes. At 50 minutes, take starter out of the
fridge and plug in the yogurt maker to pre-heat the ceramic cups. Check
the thermometer about every 7 minutes. When the line drops below the
top line but is still above the lower line, spoon all the starter into
one of the cups, fill the remainder of the cup almost to the top with
the cooling milk, and stir until the starter is completely dispersed -
about 30 seconds. Pour the entire contents of that cup back into the
saucepan and stir thoroughly to disperse the starter - about another 30
seconds. Take the lids off all 5 of the cups, pour the liquid yogurt
into the cups to within about 1/4" of the top, put on the lids, and put
the cover on the yogurt maker. 12 hours later, unplug the maker and put
the 5 cups into the fridge. The yogurt maker I use is available from
several sources on ebay. Search for "vintage Salton yogurt maker". The
price of the maker pays for itself (compared to buying commercial
yogurt) after making about 6 batches.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<9YWdnbXqDozZ5LT7nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57507&group=alt.home.repair#57507

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:27:32 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:27 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:22:44 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A moral, philosophical question.
> > >
> > > That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
> > >
> > > I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no
> > > computer, and very little money. She wants me to order for her
> > > some natural medicine that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced
> > > rip-off.
> > >

> > Do not help her to attain any medications that aren't properly
> > prescribed by her doctor. Even over-the-counter herbal products
> > can be a problem with certain people and/or other medications
> > or supplements.
> > Advise her next-of-kin / POA / caregivers as you are able.
> > John T.
>
> Good advice, I added that too. Docusate Sodium, not recommended if
> she takoil for constipation. No others listed other than don't take
> over a week straight. It's an 'as needed' thing. The leafy greens
> are fair game though!

Sorry, tht was mineral oil.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<l8tufkFofeuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57521&group=alt.home.repair#57521

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: 25 Apr 2024 02:46:12 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 02:46 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:06:01 -0400, Retirednoguilt wrote:

> Same hold true for yogurt. Most of what's available in the dairy case
> has been pasteurized, killing all those beneficial lactobacilli and
> contains added sugar. I've been making my own yogurt for decades.

I think the last time I made yogurt it was from a recipe in The Last Whole
Earth Catalog. iirc it had gelatin in the mix too. I don't remember how
many years my kefir has been going. It must be a real lab experiment by
now but it hasn't killed me yet. It's not as fussy as yogurt.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<xB2dnUS4wabJ4Lf7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57541&group=alt.home.repair#57541

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:57:08 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:57 UTC

Retirednoguilt wrote:

> On 4/24/2024 7:31 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> > 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> > She doesn't make kimchee, she buys that from Costco. It's the
> > sauerkraut we make at home. Having said that, kimchee is not a
> > usual staple for her, just an occassional treat.

I make fresh kimchee now and again. Unfermented.

> I agree that fermented foods are generally considered quite healthful
> (and I agree). However, I don't recommend that you suggest your
> elderly neighbor consume fermented foods unless cleared by her
> personal physician. Elderly people often have high blood pressure,
> heart disease, and/or reduced kidney function. Each of those
> conditions is likely to require a salt-restricted diet. Fermented
> foods, including most condiments such as pickles, canned or jarred
> olives, etc. as well as sauerkraut, miso and kimchee contain a huge
> amount of salt.

Yes, find out first. Docusate is only 50mg so fits a low-salt diet.

> I agree with a previous respondent that OTC docusate
> is much safer for the average geriatric patient (although docusate
> may be too gentle to be effective). If docusate doesn't help, a
> gentle osmotic laxative, such as Miralax or it's cheaper generic
> equivalent may be more helpful.
>
> In my personal experience, I find that many commonly recommended high
> fiber foods actually bind me, even though I consume plenty of water.
> What seems to help me the most is eating between 1/2 -1 ripe, raw
> Bartlett Pear each day. Unless the patient has specific food
> intolerances, allergies, or a digestive disorder that is made worse by
> high fiber foods, it's sometimes necessary for a patient to experiment
> with different high fiber foods until they find what is best tolerated
> and also effective for their chronic constipation.

The greens have to be specific. DARK leafy, not head cabbage.

Re: OT Should I buy rip-off supplements for a friend of mine

<ur9YN.35668$gF_b.26917@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57725&group=alt.home.repair#57725

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 16:59:06 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 16:59 UTC

"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net> writes:
>😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>
>> micky wrote on 4/22/2024 12:22 PM:
>> > A moral, philosophical question.
>> >
>> > That I bring to you because you are my moral advisors.
>> >
>> > I have an 82-year old friend, who lives alone, and has no computer,
>> > and very little money. She wants me to order for her some natural
>> > medicine that I'm sure is an expensive, over-priced rip-off.
>> >
>> > Should I order it for anyhow? Should I participate in cheating her?
>> >

>https://www.amazon.com/s?k=emma&i=magazines&crid=63HYO77CGUBA&sprefix=emma%2Cmagazines%2C1012&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>> >
>> > For example:
>> >
>https://www.amazon.com/Emma-Gut-Health-Constipation-Alternative/dp/B0C2CRCCWS/ref=asc_df_B0C2CRCCWS/
>> > $60 for 1 or 2 month supply, though cheaper if you buy twice as
>> > much.
>> >
>> > Afaik she doesn't have gas, bloating or constipation -- she's
>> > complained about other stuff but never that -- but if she did there
>> > are far cheaper remedies for constipation.
>>
>> Considering her old age, she might be taking prescription painkillers
>> that contain opioid or codeine (like Tylenol #3), which will cause
>> constipation. Constipation will lead to gas and bloating because the
>> gas produced by gut bacteria cannot exit the body through regular
>> defecation (that's why dead body floats).
>>
>> Eating oatmeal can promote regularity. Prune juice can induce a run,
>> if she can handle the sugar content. There are lots of laxatives
>> available on the drugstore shelves in pill or liquid form to choose
>> from.
>
>I usually ignore the OT comments but here's some simple fixes if she
>has regulatity problems.
>
>Docusate sodium.

Only a fool would take medical advise from alt.home.repair.