To err is human, to moo bovine.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

SubjectAuthor
* Spare Leaf Blower BatteryColour Sergeant Bourne
+* Re: Spare Leaf Blower BatteryRalph Mowery
|`* Re: Spare Leaf Blower Batterycshenk
| `* Re: Spare Leaf Blower BatteryRalph Mowery
|  `- Re: Spare Leaf Blower Batterycshenk
+- Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
+- Re: Spare Leaf Blower Batterycshenk
+- Re: Spare Leaf Blower Batterymicky
+- Re: Spare Leaf Blower BatteryFrank
`- Re: Spare Leaf Blower BatteryHiram T Schwantz

1
Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<uupi3o$1i1pa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56809&group=alt.home.repair#56809

From: bou...@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Spare Leaf Blower Battery
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:06:32 -0400
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:06 UTC

The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is that
while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are often
longer. So I’m looking into getting a second battery.

Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the big box
store. (The Gillette razor business model!)

Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a second
blower— keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe sell it as
new without the battery.

Opinion?

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<MPG.407a1a0c98026ee989f4b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56810&group=alt.home.repair#56810

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:24:46 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:24 UTC

In article <uupi3o$1i1pa$1@dont-email.me>, bourne@rorke.za says...

> The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is that
> while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are often
> longer. So I?m looking into getting a second battery.
>
> Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
> blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the big box
> store. (The Gillette razor business model!)
>
> Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a second
> blower? keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe sell it as
> new without the battery.
>
> Opinion?

Seems that many of the battery powered devices only cost a few dollars
more than the replecement/spare battery. Is this the only battery
powered device you have that takes a battery that large ? There are
some adaptors that will let you use one brand battery in another device.
I have a Dewalt drill that uses one size battery and another Dewalt
drill driver that uses another size but there is an adaptor that lets
me use the larger battery in both devices.

For $ 60 I think I would just get a battery unless you can find another
battery that is not OEM for less.
I had thought of getting some battery operated devices for the yard
work, but I have never had much luck with batteries lasting very long
before they would not hold a charge.

I would junk the battery blower and get a gas powered one for a lot less
.. Just use the ethanol free fuel in it as that ethanol usually eats the
fuel lines in a few years.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<cqYPN.40038$lu2.37493@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56811&group=alt.home.repair#56811

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:37:42 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 19:37 UTC

#1. You can save your money by splitting your leaf blowing into two
sessions.

#2. Buy the whole set, and then sell only the blower.

#3. Buy the whole set, and keep the blower as spare.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<1c6cnbSyEqPd0Yz7nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56838&group=alt.home.repair#56838

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 13:21:04 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:21 UTC

Colour Sergeant Bourne wrote:

> The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is that
> while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are often
> longer. So I’m looking into getting a second battery.
>
> Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
> blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the big
> box store. (The Gillette razor business model!)
>
> Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a
> second blower— keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe
> sell it as new without the battery.
>
> Opinion?

Check Amazon first. They can surprise you. I got a spare lithium
battery and charger for 65$ not long ago. You didn't list enough specs
to look it up but hint is it's normally printed on the battery or you
have manfacturer and model number. Look it up both ways on Amazon.
Apt to hit free shipping if not already prime member.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<y6idnXg4GpFt0Yz7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56839&group=alt.home.repair#56839

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 13:24:00 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:24 UTC

Ralph Mowery wrote:

> In article <uupi3o$1i1pa$1@dont-email.me>, bourne@rorke.za says...
> >
> > The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is
> > that while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are
> > often longer. So I?m looking into getting a second battery.
> >
> > Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
> > blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the
> > big box store. (The Gillette razor business model!)
> >
> > Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a
> > second blower? keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe
> > sell it as new without the battery.
> >
> > Opinion?
> >

> Seems that many of the battery powered devices only cost a few
> dollars more than the replecement/spare battery. Is this the only
> battery powered device you have that takes a battery that large ?
> There are some adaptors that will let you use one brand battery in
> another device. I have a Dewalt drill that uses one size battery and
> another Dewalt drill driver that uses another size but there is an
> adaptor that lets me use the larger battery in both devices.
>
> For $ 60 I think I would just get a battery unless you can find
> another battery that is not OEM for less.
> I had thought of getting some battery operated devices for the yard
> work, but I have never had much luck with batteries lasting very
> long before they would not hold a charge.
>
> I would junk the battery blower and get a gas powered one for a lot
> less . Just use the ethanol free fuel in it as that ethanol usually
> eats the fuel lines in a few years.

Trade off with gas versions is weight. You may be young so it's a
non-issue but Don's 73...

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<MPG.407b8e8fad9818a3989f4d@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56862&group=alt.home.repair#56862

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:54:10 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:54 UTC

In article <y6idnXg4GpFt0Yz7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>,
cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...
> I would junk the battery blower and get a gas powered one for a lot
> > less . Just use the ethanol free fuel in it as that ethanol usually
> > eats the fuel lines in a few years.
>
> Trade off with gas versions is weight. You may be young so it's a
> non-issue but Don's 73...

I guess that age is not the thing, but the health at age. I am 74 and
use gas chain saws and a gas leaf blower and weed eater.
I do admit that I do not run the chain saws very long at a time and the
largest is only 18 inches. The new Echo 16 inch saw is very light
compaired to the other saws.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<iqi31jth4ea0lci3t3891o75k3cqq7ct8t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56865&group=alt.home.repair#56865

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 18:23:59 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 22:23 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:06:32 -0400, Colour Sergeant
Bourne <bourne@rorke.za> wrote:

>The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is that
>while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are often
>longer. So IÂ’m looking into getting a second battery.
>
>Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
>blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the big box
>store. (The Gillette razor business model!)
>
>Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a second
>blower— keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe sell it as
>new without the battery.
>
>Opinion?

If God had meant for us to use batteries, He wouldn't have given us
extension cords. Go with God.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<HKecnbP_XNY8Oo_7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56907&group=alt.home.repair#56907

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 14:03:13 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 14:03 UTC

Ralph Mowery wrote:

> In article <y6idnXg4GpFt0Yz7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...
> > I would junk the battery blower and get a gas powered one for a lot
> > > less . Just use the ethanol free fuel in it as that ethanol
> > > usually eats the fuel lines in a few years.
> >
> > Trade off with gas versions is weight. You may be young so it's a
> > non-issue but Don's 73...
> >

> I guess that age is not the thing, but the health at age. I am 74
> and use gas chain saws and a gas leaf blower and weed eater.
> I do admit that I do not run the chain saws very long at a time and
> the largest is only 18 inches. The new Echo 16 inch saw is very
> light compaired to the other saws.

True but usually by 70 there are concerns.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<uuuglm$2sd0g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56915&group=alt.home.repair#56915

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:12:36 -0400
 by: Frank - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:12 UTC

On 4/5/2024 3:06 PM, Colour Sergeant Bourne wrote:
> The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is that
> while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are often
> longer. So I’m looking into getting a second battery.
>
> Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
> blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the big box
> store. (The Gillette razor business model!)
>
> Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a second
> blower—  keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe sell it as
> new without the battery.
>
> Opinion?

Had a similar problem years ago with battery operated grass trimmer and
hedge trimmer with replacement of batteries costing as much as the whole
set. Now for yard work I go with corded or gasoline powered equipment.

Re: Spare Leaf Blower Battery

<9sXTN.101$Xphd.6@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=57340&group=alt.home.repair#57340

From: hiramtsc...@gmail.com (Hiram T Schwantz)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:47:55 -0400
 by: Hiram T Schwantz - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:47 UTC

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:06:32 -0400, Colour Sergeant Bourne posted for all of us
to digest...

> The only thing I don't like about my new cordless leaf blower is that
> while the battery lasts its rated time, my work sessions are often
> longer. So I?m looking into getting a second battery.
>
> Best price I can find for an OEM one is $120-- while an entire new
> blower with battery and charger is still on sale for $180 at the big box
> store. (The Gillette razor business model!)
>
> Thinking about instead of buying just a battery, maybe getting a second
> blower? keeping the blower and charger for a spare or maybe sell it as
> new without the battery.
>
> Opinion?

I would advise getting an OEM battery if it is Li. Then you can have less worry
about the possibility of having a fire. The fake OEM batteries are another
sketchy proposition. I would stay away from Amazon batteries of unknown origin.
Just because it says Panasonic cells doesn't mean squat; it may lack the
thermal overrun sensor. Look at all the e-bike fires in NYC.

If it's Ni-Cad disregard this message.

--
Hiram