It's more than magnificent -- it's mediocre. -- Sam Goldwyn

interests / rec.puzzles / Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEs

SubjectAuthor
* super-hard Crossword CLUEshenh...@gmail.com
`* Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEsEdward Murphy
 `* Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEshenh...@gmail.com
  `- Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEsEdward Murphy

1
super-hard Crossword CLUEs

<7b3d2c1f-de2b-40f2-922e-c4512694339dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=554&group=rec.puzzles#554

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: super-hard Crossword CLUEs
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:42 UTC

https://i.imgur.com/ym5LTuQ.png

i'm very curious...

Do you have any hunches or Guesses on ANY of these ?

Do you have any hunches or Guesses regarding the (specialized) Subj. matter?

21 (DOWN) -- Holy one, abbr. ?

>>> [Holy ones: Abbr.] is a crossword puzzle clue that we have spotted 8 times.

note that most of these CLUEs end with question marks
----------- is this a mark of a novice Crossword-Puzzle-Maker ?

___________________

after looking at these questions (clues),
i began to feel weird....

-------- How Difficult are regular (or normal) Crossword Puzzles ????

so i looked one up

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/04/20/pageoneplus/20ITT_crossword_palmer/20ITT_crossword_palmer-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

i felt so relieved when i saw that with
regular (or normal) Crossword Puzzles,
i know many of the answers (or at least have guesses or hunches)
without the CLUE of how many letters.....

Phew !!!!

Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEs

<thvh7b$1les$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=560&group=rec.puzzles#560

From: emurph...@zoho.com (Edward Murphy)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Subject: Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEs
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:16:04 -0700
 by: Edward Murphy - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 22:16 UTC

On 10/6/2022 10:42 AM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:

> https://i.imgur.com/ym5LTuQ.png
>
> i'm very curious...
>
> Do you have any hunches or Guesses on ANY of these ?

Apart from the clues themselves, you can sometimes deduce some details
just by considering how they're numbered. Typical rules are:

* Each clue is for a word/phrase of at least two letters.

* The clues are identified by numbering the squares that begin a
word/phrase, in order from top row to bottom row, and (within
each row) left column to right column.

* The pattern of black and white squares is symmetric when rotated 180
degrees.

* Each white square is part of both an Across and a Down clue.

Unfortunately, cryptic crosswords tend not to follow those last two,
which makes it a lot more challenging to approach them that way.

> Do you have any hunches or Guesses regarding the (specialized)
Subj. matter?

Googling 10 Across turns up
https://ur.booksc.me/book/49210446/1fcde3
where you can download a PDF that gives the grid (and, sure enough, it
doesn't follow those last two layout rules). And from what little I know
of the subject matter - _Finnegan's Wake_ by James Joyce - it seems to
be on a similar level of obscurity as these clues.

Another link provided within that PDF is
https://www.jstor.org/stable/25476364
and here's one for the next issue, which gives the solution:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/i25476366

Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEs

<2c5c6f98-f5a9-48fa-8934-a755da2ba607n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=561&group=rec.puzzles#561

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 23:08:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:08 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 3:16:14 PM UTC-7, Edward Murphy wrote:
> On 10/6/2022 10:42 AM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > https://i.imgur.com/ym5LTuQ.png
> >
> > i'm very curious...
> >
> > Do you have any hunches or Guesses on ANY of these ?

> Apart from the clues themselves, you can sometimes deduce some details
> just by considering how they're numbered. Typical rules are:
>
> * Each clue is for a word/phrase of at least two letters.

there are Never 2-letter Answrs in NY Times crosswords, right ?

.me ------- means Middle-East ?

> where you can download a PDF that gives the grid (and, sure enough, it
> doesn't follow those last two layout rules). And from what little I know
> of the subject matter - _Finnegan's Wake_ by James Joyce - it seems to
> be on a similar level of obscurity as these clues.
>
> Another link provided within that PDF is
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/25476364
> and here's one for the next issue, which gives the solution:
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/i25476366

these Two are pretty simple... Is there another easy one ?
16 (DOWN) -- Better than better!
21 (DOWN) -- Holy one, abbr. ?

Image: https://i.imgur.com/GeYp21w.jpg

Re: super-hard Crossword CLUEs

<tiht7b$eu5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=570&group=rec.puzzles#570

From: emurph...@zoho.com (Edward Murphy)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 14:31:22 -0700
 by: Edward Murphy - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:31 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.me#Known_hacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_hack