From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Carfax vs. other VIN reporters.
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:22:33 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:22 UTC

A friend wants to buy a car just for when she visits Baltimore, usually
for a month once or twice a year.

Carfax, which was free when I needed it 6.5 years ago, is now not. It
doesn't give the price now but iirc it is about $40 per car.

Is my impression correct, that carfax gives maintenance and accident
info and other sites don't?

There are lots of other vin check websites , but afaict Carfax gives
Service History
Oil Changes
Tire Rotations
Open Recalls
Brake Rotor Replacement
Transmission Replacement
Safety Inspections

Well it gives these things if the owner takes it to a shop that reports
to ....?? someone ?? and if the shop gives enough details to know if
your rotors were replaced or you only had a brake job. In my case,
last time, most of the info was there in sufficient detail, but I'm sure
not all shops do that. I'm sure some don't report at all, right? iled

And the other sites give recalls but do any give mainenance, repairs,
and accident history.

Carfax also says it gives:
Accident Data
Accident History
Damage Severity (Severe/Minor)
Damage Location/Point of Impact
Records of Damage Repair
Airbag Deployment

Any experience with this?

From an email:
Carfax, which was free 7 years ago, is now expensive. but there are a
lot of others that are almost free for the first 7 days, if you want to
check on the car.
You can use the vin number to check for recalls and salvage. I've only
done that once and the car was fine.
https://www.nicb.org/vincheck free to show if stolen or salvage A
maximum of five searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP
address.
https://goodcar.com/vehicle-history $2.95 UNLIMITED VIN and Plate
Lookups (7-Day Trial)
https://Bumper.com Your 7-day $1 membership trial is limited to running
50 reports. After your 7 day trial, you will be billed $22.99 /month.
https://vincheck.info/ free but what?
https://vincheck.info/floodcheck/#/
https://infotracer.com/vin-check/ free, it says. Doesn't list
maintenance, which Carfax has. I wouldnt' worry much about how much
maintenance it had, unless it was the engine from the Chrysler Sebring.
https://www.beenverified.com/ 5 dollar version is much better than 1
dollar, because you can save results instead of just viewing them on the
screen***. limited to running 100 reports during the trial period.
***Bumper.com had two rates too when I looked in January. I think they
still do and maybe it's the same difference, abiltiy to download the
results.
https://kbb.com kelly blue book, might be free, I can't tell.
https://carfax.com expensive. I think it was $40 per car, but it gives
lots of info, ownership, accidents, service information if car was
serviced at a place that reports. I don't know yet what the other ones
show, except the first one which is free and says if stolen or salvage.
The prior owner of my car had almost all her service done at places that
report, so i know what had been done, I know she already replaced the
timing belt. They can break. My previous car, also toyota, had a
timing chain. They don't break. But I don't drive very much.

Re: Carfax vs. other VIN reporters.

<81tt0jtmtuoemnio190tgjl73stblttf29@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56745&group=alt.home.repair#56745

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Carfax vs. other VIN reporters.
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 15:01:40 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:01 UTC

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:22:33 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>A friend wants to buy a car just for when she visits Baltimore, usually
>for a month once or twice a year.
>
>Carfax, which was free when I needed it 6.5 years ago, is now not. It
>doesn't give the price now but iirc it is about $40 per car.
>
>Is my impression correct, that carfax gives maintenance and accident
>info and other sites don't?

In my area, most used car dealers will provide the CarFax Report
just for asking. As with anything - buyer beware - lots of things
can be hidden from the data reporting that CarFax uses !
.. bad things like unreported accidents & major failures
.. "good" things like extra maintenance and rustproofing
Buy a decent make & model from a reputable dealer -
pay a little more but worry less. Those "private sales" can be
fine if you _really_ know cars and do _all_ your homework -
- most people don't ! The "private sale - great deal"
can be a curb-sider who is unloading a lemon that quickly
becomes your worst nightmare and that $ 1000. you saved
evaporates.
John T.