Sometimes, too long is too long. -- Joe Crowe

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars

SubjectAuthor
* Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering ManhattanOscar
+* Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering ManhattanEd P
|+- Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattankelown
|`- Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattanmicky
`* Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering ManhattanFrank
 +* Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering ManhattanEd P
 |`* Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattanmicky
 | `- Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering ManhattanEd P
 `- Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on CarsJudge Arthur Enron

1
Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<6605a918$0$1643516$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56509&group=alt.home.repair#56509

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.netnews.com!netnews.com!s1-2.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com|netnews.com!postmaster.netnews.com!us3.netnews.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: osc...@127.0.0.1 (Oscar)
Subject: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
Manhattan
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 13:29:25 -0400
 by: Oscar - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:29 UTC

Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of Manhattan.

AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in June.

The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by dozens of groups of commuters.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/

Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<6605ccaf$0$3711190$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56512&group=alt.home.repair#56512

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:01:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:01 UTC

On 3/28/2024 1:29 PM, Oscar wrote:
> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
> Manhattan
>

> Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit
> drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday
> approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of
> Manhattan.
>
> AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board
> approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in June.
>
> The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the
> public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by dozens
> of groups of commuters.
>
> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/
>

> Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people
> continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>

What would you do? Traffic in NYC is very bad and this has been talked
about for years. Any time I went to NYC, I took the train and it is
worse now. Train ticket was less than half a couple of hours parking.

That "working man" you mention is probably making $500,000 a year or
more. The real workers take the bus.

London has been doing it for some time now.
https://tinyurl.com/3tfdtrsn
The Congestion Charge is a £15 daily charge if you drive within the
Congestion Charge zone 7:00-18:00 Monday-Friday and 12:00-18:00 Sat-Sun
and bank holidays. No charge between Christmas Day and New Year's Day
bank holiday (inclusive).

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<uua1c6$1840t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56586&group=alt.home.repair#56586

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars
Entering Manhattan
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:48:52 -0500
 by: kelown - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 21:48 UTC

>> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
>> Manhattan

>> New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit
>> drivers with punitive tolls

San Francisco has been charging a bridge toll to drivers entering the
city for decades.

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<rp1h0jp4hft49j2td7503ccacvjr4fo933@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56588&group=alt.home.repair#56588

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:56:26 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 21:56 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:01:51 -0400, Ed P
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 3/28/2024 1:29 PM, Oscar wrote:
>> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
>> Manhattan
>>

>> Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit
>> drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday
>> approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of
>> Manhattan.
>>
>> AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board
>> approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in June.
>>
>> The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the
>> public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by dozens
>> of groups of commuters.
>>
>> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/
>>

>> Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people
>> continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>
>

>What would you do? Traffic in NYC is very bad and this has been talked
>about for years. Any time I went to NYC, I took the train and it is
>worse now. Train ticket was less than half a couple of hours parking.
>
>That "working man" you mention is probably making $500,000 a year or
>more. The real workers take the bus.

Whoever wrote the article he's quoting is stupid. Repubicans wanted a
decrease in the traffic problem as much as anyone. Or more, at least
the wealthy ones who live in the area, have more than enough money to
pay for daily trips in, but money won't make the congrestion disappear.

And the OP here is stupid for quoting an article that attributes it to
Democrats.

>London has been doing it for some time now.
>https://tinyurl.com/3tfdtrsn
>The Congestion Charge is a £15 daily charge if you drive within the
>Congestion Charge zone 7:00-18:00 Monday-Friday and 12:00-18:00 Sat-Sun
>and bank holidays. No charge between Christmas Day and New Year's Day
>bank holiday (inclusive).

And theer are exceptions, though when I lived in Brooklyn and had a
girlfriend on the upper west side, I'm not sure if that would have
applied to me. The Brookyn Battery Tunnel was out of my way, and I
dont' think the Brooklyn Bridge conected directly to the West Side
Highway. I would take city streets. One time I drove up the west
side, from Chambers Street to W.85th st without getting stuck in traffic
once, During Rush Hour. When I got near the Holland Tunnel I went to
the west of the entrance, and when I got near the Lincoln Tunnel, I went
to the east of its entrance. i was very proud of myself.

Two or three times I drove to work when I worked near Wall St. The
Fulton Fish market was at its original location then. And by 8AM they
were closing, and their parking area turned into a public parking lot. I
think it was 8 or 10 dollars for the day. Of course this was 1980. it
was worth it on a Friday if I wanted to go away for the weekend and
didn't want to waste time going home to Brooklyn to get the car. (Even
though I lived only 3 stops away.)

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<uua5u3$191e7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56591&group=alt.home.repair#56591

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Entering Manhattan
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:06:42 -0400
 by: Frank - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:06 UTC

On 3/28/2024 1:29 PM, Oscar wrote:
> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
> Manhattan
>

> Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit
> drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday
> approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of
> Manhattan.
>
> AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board
> approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in June.
>
> The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the
> public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by dozens
> of groups of commuters.
>
> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/
>

> Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people
> continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>

New Jersey democrat governor, Phil Murphy, is not happy about it:

https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562024/approved/20240304a.shtml

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<6608a6a2$0$3711198$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56592&group=alt.home.repair#56592

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:56:19 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:56 UTC

On 3/30/2024 7:06 PM, Frank wrote:
> On 3/28/2024 1:29 PM, Oscar wrote:
>> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
>> Manhattan
>>

>> Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit
>> drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday
>> approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of
>> Manhattan.
>>
>> AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board
>> approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in
>> June.
>>
>> The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the
>> public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by
>> dozens of groups of commuters.
>>
>> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/
>>

>> Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people
>> continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>
>
> New Jersey democrat governor, Phil Murphy, is not happy about it:
>
> https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562024/approved/20240304a.shtml

I don't know if this the best idea, but what should they do? Better
mass transit would help. Fact is, more people want to drive into the city.

NJ Governor wants to put in exemptions, maybe he should buy some busses
or rail cars

The city can only handle so many cars. Should they tear down buildings
to make streets wider? Tear down buildings to make more parking? The
city layout from 1930ish is not so good in 2024.

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<befh0jdp37ffjpobm6djtmjke3lq0gouee@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56593&group=alt.home.repair#56593

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 21:38:06 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 01:38 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:56:19 -0400, Ed P
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 3/30/2024 7:06 PM, Frank wrote:
>> On 3/28/2024 1:29 PM, Oscar wrote:
>>> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering
>>> Manhattan
>>>

>>> Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit
>>> drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday
>>> approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of
>>> Manhattan.
>>>
>>> AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board
>>> approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in
>>> June.
>>>
>>> The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the
>>> public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by
>>> dozens of groups of commuters.
>>>
>>> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/
>>>

>>> Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people
>>> continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>
>>
>> New Jersey democrat governor, Phil Murphy, is not happy about it:
>>
>> https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562024/approved/20240304a.shtml
>
>I don't know if this the best idea, but what should they do? Better
>mass transit would help. Fact is, more people want to drive into the city.
>
>NJ Governor wants to put in exemptions, maybe he should buy some busses
>or rail cars
>
>The city can only handle so many cars. Should they tear down buildings
>to make streets wider? Tear down buildings to make more parking? The
>city layout from 1930ish is not so good in 2024.

When I got to New York in 1971, I learned that new york is a Dutch term,
left over from when the Dutch founded and ruled the city.

It comes from neue meaning No, and
yeurk meaning parking.

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan

<6608c6b5$0$3711199$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56594&group=alt.home.repair#56594

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 22:13:10 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 02:13 UTC

On 3/30/2024 9:38 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:56:19 -0400, Ed P
> <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>>> New Jersey democrat governor, Phil Murphy, is not happy about it:
>>>
>>> https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562024/approved/20240304a.shtml
>>
>> I don't know if this the best idea, but what should they do? Better
>> mass transit would help. Fact is, more people want to drive into the city.
>>
>> NJ Governor wants to put in exemptions, maybe he should buy some busses
>> or rail cars
>>
>> The city can only handle so many cars. Should they tear down buildings
>> to make streets wider? Tear down buildings to make more parking? The
>> city layout from 1930ish is not so good in 2024.
>
> When I got to New York in 1971, I learned that new york is a Dutch term,
> left over from when the Dutch founded and ruled the city.
>
> It comes from neue meaning No, and
> yeurk meaning parking.

Makes sense. Originally it was Amsterdam, but I guess after no place
for their carriages, they change the name.

Re: Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars

<QYygTEJEGDNANFgPtCPwmyIFOJGzquwG@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56602&group=alt.home.repair#56602

From: jud...@two-tier.just.us (Judge Arthur Enron)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 24 10:21:06 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
 by: Judge Arthur Enron - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 10:21 UTC

Frank wrote:
> On 3/28/2024 1:29 PM, Oscar wrote:
>> Start Walking: Democrat-run NYC Approves $15 Toll on Cars Entering Manhattan
>>

>> Democrat-run New York is poised to become the first U.S. city to hit drivers with punitive tolls after transit officials on Wednesday approved a $15 fee for most motorists headed to the busiest part of Manhattan.
>>
>> AP reports members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board approved the congestion pricing impost, expected to go into effect in June.
>>
>> The board waved through only minor changes to a plan presented to the public months ago while rejecting all requests for exceptions by dozens of groups of commuters.
>>
>> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/28/start-walking-democrat-run-nyc-approves-15-toll-on-cars-entering-manhattan/
>>

>> Democrats love taxing the working people...and the working people continue to vote Democrat. <shakes head>
>
> New Jersey democrat governor, Phil Murphy, is not happy about it:
>
> https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562024/approved/20240304a.shtml

Yup, raising prices keeps the riff raff out. How will the servants get to their jobs?