It'll be a nice world if they ever get it finished.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

SubjectAuthor
* Sei=trailer with spinning tiresmicky
+* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresBob F
|`* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
| `* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresmicky
|  `* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|   `- Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresSnag
+* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresBen Verified - ✅
|`* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresFrank
| `- Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresBen Verified - ✅
`* Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresClare Snyder
 `- Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tiresClare Snyder

1
Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<i0bbvi18ghkk3bufrv948iq1j6f2i6346d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56299&group=alt.home.repair#56299

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Sei=trailer with spinning tires
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:39:34 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:39 UTC

Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power. It also
looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
turning.

First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
and save their energy for when it is?
Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
moving?

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<ut5b7a$350hj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56302&group=alt.home.repair#56302

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:49:54 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:49 UTC

On 3/16/2024 1:39 PM, micky wrote:
> Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
> the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
> ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
> was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power. It also
> looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
> ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
> light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
> turning.
>
> First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
> Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
> and save their energy for when it is?
> Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
> moving?

Sounds like those hubcaps on a bearing that keep spinning long after the
wheel stops turning.

The extra axle probably had smaller tires, and is designed to be lowered
to lessen the weight on each axle to not exceed legal limits.

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<vTqJN.77394$I2y9.22208@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56303&group=alt.home.repair#56303

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:33:29 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 00:33 UTC

Bob F wrote on 3/16/2024 7:49 PM:
> On 3/16/2024 1:39 PM, micky wrote:
>> Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
>> the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
>> ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
>> was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power.  It also
>> looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
>> ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
>> light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
>> turning.
>>
>>   First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of
>> trailers. ??
>>   Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
>> and save their energy for when it is?
>>   Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
>> moving?
>
> Sounds like those hubcaps on a bearing that keep spinning long after
> the wheel stops turning.

I have seen those also. It creates the optical illusion of the tire
spinning while stationary.

> The extra axle probably had smaller tires, and is designed to be
> lowered to lessen the weight on each axle to not exceed legal limits.

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<17bd88f3eb52506e$50708$2601257$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56308&group=alt.home.repair#56308

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ben.veri...@fact.checker-org (Ben Verified - ✅)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 07:13:34 -0400
 by: Ben Verified - ✅ - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:13 UTC

micky wrote:
> Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
> the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
> ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
> was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power. It also
> looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
> ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
> light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
> turning.
>
> First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
> Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
> and save their energy for when it is?
> Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
> moving?

It's only 4:39pm and your posts are becoming slurred.

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<ut6oa9$3h7ja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56309&group=alt.home.repair#56309

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 08:39:33 -0400
 by: Frank - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 12:39 UTC

On 3/17/2024 7:13 AM, Ben Verified - ✅ wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
>> the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
>> ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
>> was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power.  It also
>> looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
>> ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
>> light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
>> turning.
>>
>>   First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
>>   Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
>> and save their energy for when it is?
>>   Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
>> moving?
>>

> It's only 4:39pm and your posts are becoming slurred.

Considering what today is, he should be a hoot late in the day.

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<sa9evi163evqkg8ev6f95nuriakgo6c7ft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56310&group=alt.home.repair#56310

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:28:57 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:28 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:33:29 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
? <@.> wrote:

>Bob F wrote on 3/16/2024 7:49 PM:
>> On 3/16/2024 1:39 PM, micky wrote:
>>> Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
>>> the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
>>> ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
>>> was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power.  It also
>>> looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
>>> ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
>>> light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
>>> turning.
>>>
>>>   First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of
>>> trailers. ??
>>>   Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
>>> and save their energy for when it is?
>>>   Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
>>> moving?
>>
>> Sounds like those hubcaps on a bearing that keep spinning long after
>> the wheel stops turning.
>>

>I have seen those also. It creates the optical illusion of the tire
>spinning while stationary.

Maybe it was an illusion but it was an impressive one. It wasn't the
hubcabs that appeared to be spinning but the actual tires, especially
the one that was off the ground. I wish I'd had time to pay more
attention other tire and to the hub and the space in between. The
truck was abou5 50 feet away, on the other side of the intersection with
the traffic light, in the oncoming lane.

I tried to google but just found one that only applied when the truck
was moving, but mine was standing still.

>> The extra axle probably had smaller tires, and is designed to be
>> lowered to lessen the weight on each axle to not exceed legal limits.

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<pcGJN.55143$h0q4.52521@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56311&group=alt.home.repair#56311

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:59:47 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:59 UTC

micky wrote on 3/17/2024 1:28 PM:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:33:29 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
> ? <@.> wrote:
>
>> Bob F wrote on 3/16/2024 7:49 PM:

>>> Sounds like those hubcaps on a bearing that keep spinning long after
>>> the wheel stops turning.
>>>
>> I have seen those also. It creates the optical illusion of the tire
>> spinning while stationary.
> Maybe it was an illusion but it was an impressive one. It wasn't the
> hubcabs that appeared to be spinning but the actual tires, especially
> the one that was off the ground. I wish I'd had time to pay more
> attention other tire and to the hub and the space in between. The
> truck was abou5 50 feet away, on the other side of the intersection with
> the traffic light, in the oncoming lane.
>
> I tried to google but just found one that only applied when the truck
> was moving, but mine was standing still.

It was a fad many years ago. I saw quite a few, but they were on fancy
modded cars, not on tractor trailers. I haven't seem them in the last
few years.

This car's front tire seems to be stationary when the car is moving, but
the rear tire seems to rotating when the car is stationary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9DbxabcZy8

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<65f7351c$0$6047$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56312&group=alt.home.repair#56312

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:23:24 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

On 3/17/2024 12:59 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> micky wrote on 3/17/2024 1:28 PM:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:33:29 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
>> ? <@.> wrote:

>>> I have seen those also. It creates the optical illusion of the tire
>>> spinning while stationary.
>> Maybe it was an illusion but it was an impressive one. It wasn't the
>> hubcabs that appeared to be spinning but the actual tires, especially
>> the one that was off the ground.  I wish I'd had time to pay more
>> attention other tire and to the hub and the space in between.   The
>> truck was abou5 50 feet away, on the other side of the intersection with
>> the traffic light, in the oncoming lane.
>>
>> I tried to google but just found one that only applied when the truck
>> was moving, but mine was standing still.
>
> It was a fad many years ago. I saw quite a few, but they were on fancy
> modded cars, not on tractor trailers. I haven't seem them in the last
> few years.
>
> This car's front tire seems to be stationary when the car is moving, but
> the rear tire seems to rotating when the car is stationary.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9DbxabcZy8

Those things were popular with a certain crowd in Memfrica a fwe
years back . Don't know if they still are , we fled to the woods about
12 years ago . I live somewhere now that I don't need to take a vacation
from ...
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<d02fvith3g5ub5agqe9fneio6p8lsirbjr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56320&group=alt.home.repair#56320

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:18:41 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 00:18 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:39:34 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
>the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
>ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
>was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power. It also
>looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
>ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
>light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
>turning.
>
> First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
> Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
>and save their energy for when it is?
> Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
>moving?
The wheels are not powered. They are free spinning from having
contacted the road while in motion. They are lifted to allow the
trailer to turn without scribbing the tires off or tearing the bogeys
off. The inertia of those very heavy wheels combined with really good
bearings can keep them spinning for a LONG TIME!!!

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<l23fvil02f6ehlibkt8tcodmqie1v3jeef@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56323&group=alt.home.repair#56323

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:44:18 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 00:44 UTC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:18:41 -0400, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:39:34 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
>>the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
>>ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
>>was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power. It also
>>looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
>>ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
>>light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
>>turning.
>>
>> First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
>> Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
>>and save their energy for when it is?
>> Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
>>moving?
> The wheels are not powered. They are free spinning from having
>contacted the road while in motion. They are lifted to allow the
>trailer to turn without scribbing the tires off or tearing the bogeys
>off. The inertia of those very heavy wheels combined with really good
>bearings can keep them spinning for a LONG TIME!!!
They are called "TAG " axles if trailing and "MID LIFT" axles if
leading the main load axle. They can be on the tractor or the trailer
and are used to spread the load - particularly on load restricted
roadways where per axle load is limited (as is common in the spring in
the north) Sometimes TAG axles are passive rear steer - and can
generally be left down in normal cornering but on tight turns mid lift
and tag axles are often lifted from the road before coming to a stop -
and they are not generally "braked" axles - so they continue spinning.
The mid lift may go up 8 inches or so, while the TAG axles often just
clear the road surface. If they are let down with the truck not in
motion they can "lay a patch" - or at least let out a good "CHIRP"
when they hit the pavement - or scatter some gravel stones on a dirt
surface.

Re: Sei=trailer with spinning tires

<17bdd57444f93698$119360$2601257$cad58068@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56328&group=alt.home.repair#56328

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ben.veri...@fact.checker-org (Ben Verified - ✅)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 06:35:28 -0400
 by: Ben Verified - ✅ - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:35 UTC

Frank wrote:
> On 3/17/2024 7:13 AM, Ben Verified - ✅ wrote:
>> micky wrote:
>>> Today at an intersection, I saw a semi-tractor-trailer and the rear of
>>> the trailer had probably 3 sets of wheels, and the front one was off the
>>> ground, and even while the truck was not moving, the front rear wheel
>>> was spinning, not just vibrating spinning but under power.  It also
>>> looked like the wheel behind it was spinning, even though it was on the
>>> ground. I couldn't see the rear tire if there was one, and then the
>>> light changed and the truck started moving, so of course the tires were
>>> turning.
>>>
>>>   First, I didn't think there was ANY power in the wheels of trailers. ??
>>>   Second, if there is, shouldnt' they know when the truck isn't moving
>>> and save their energy for when it is?
>>>   Third, isn't it hard on the tires to spin them when the truck is not
>>> moving?
>>>

>> It's only 4:39pm and your posts are becoming slurred.
>
> Considering what today is, he should be a hoot late in the day.

True! The "micky" never disappoints.