The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth. -- A. Camus

interests / alt.home.repair / OT where has it gotten us?

SubjectAuthor
* OT where has it gotten us?micky
+- Re: OT where has it gotten us?Robert L Peters
+- Re: OT where has it gotten us?😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
`* Re: OT where has it gotten us?Retirednoguilt
 +* Re: OT where has it gotten us?micky
 |+* Re: OT where has it gotten us?😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
 ||+* Re: OT where has it gotten us?micky
 |||+* Re: OT where has it gotten us?Scott Lurndal
 |||`* Re: OT where has it gotten us?Retirednoguilt
 ||| `* Re: OT where has it gotten us?micky
 |||  +- Re: OT where has it gotten us?micky
 |||  `- Re: OT where has it gotten us?Retirednoguilt
 ||`- Re: OT where has it gotten us?Retirednoguilt
 |`- Re: OT where has it gotten us?Retirednoguilt
 `* Re: OT where has it gotten us?😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
  +- Re: OT where has it gotten us?danny burstein
  `* Re: OT where has it gotten us?Retirednoguilt
   `- Re: OT where has it gotten us?😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅

Pages:12
OT where has it gotten us?

<m5btuihqvv8e6u7sn7ibhcvqbj37qf96fp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56123&group=alt.home.repair#56123

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT where has it gotten us?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 03:08:39 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:08 UTC

I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.

And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
of problems.

So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
of draft?

Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
signs, but the tour was very good.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<65eefb28$0$2350519$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56127&group=alt.home.repair#56127

Subject: Re: OT where has it gotten us?
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: bob...@hillary.imap (Robert L Peters)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:37:58 -0400
 by: Robert L Peters - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:37 UTC

micky wrote:
> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>
> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
> of problems.

Who causes the problems?
The people who rolled up their sleeves and built this country?
Or the lazy slugs who expect everything handed to them?

> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
> of draft?

The Vietnam "War" was good for bidness.
God bless Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics and RINO Dick Cheney!

> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
> signs, but the tour was very good.

Sadly, I'm old and won't be around to see it but someday, after Civil War II, We the People will have a similar museum.
Maybe the patriots will have replicas of the Obiden Crime Family swinging in the breeze?

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<p9DHN.319440$7uxe.267834@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56128&group=alt.home.repair#56128

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:53:39 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:53 UTC

micky wrote on 3/11/2024 3:08 AM:
> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>
> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
> of problems.
>
> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
> of draft?

You already had a draft dodger and coward businessman Trump last time.
He promised to zero out the national debt in 4 years, but instead he
increased the national debt by 8.2 trillion, or 40% during his 4 years
of chaos.

https://www.propublica.org/article/national-debt-trump

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<usn6qb$3luem$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56132&group=alt.home.repair#56132

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:08:58 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:08 UTC

On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>
> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
> of problems.
>
> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
> of draft?
>
> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
> signs, but the tour was very good.

That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
rolling over in their graves. Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
when.)

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<jn8uui5cn5hdnu8lju05cp6fcjshkbf2ro@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56134&group=alt.home.repair#56134

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:52:46 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:52 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:08:58 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
>> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
>> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
>> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>>
>> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
>> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
>> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
>> of problems.
>>
>> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
>> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
>> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
>> of draft?
>>
>> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
>> signs, but the tour was very good.
>
>That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>rolling over in their graves.

Sorry about that. I had to check twice to get that close. (Very poor
with very short term memory.)

>Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>when.)

Interesting.

It says that Stephen Udvar-Hazy came as to the US at age 12 in 1958 with
his family after the Soviets crushed the Hungarian reviolution of 1956.
I dated a girl a little older than me who left then too. I was 9 then;
she might have been 12 or 16, or older if like Udvar-Hazy she didn't
leave until 1958. She didn't get along with her mother also. She had
to swim across the Danube River to get away, from the Soviets I guess.
She came to NYC and was living a pretty good life, giving art lectures
at the Metropolitan Museum etc. Then in the late 70's something changed
politically in Hungary and she could go back without getting in trouble,
so she did, and it turned out her mother was no longer there, she was
living in NYC, had been for years!! Just a couple miles from my friend.
So they got together again and it was wonderful except it didn't take
long until the mother was telling the girl how to dress and how to wear
her hair etc. Just like it had been.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<MQFHN.118484$wDMd.113370@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56136&group=alt.home.repair#56136

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:56:27 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:56 UTC

Retirednoguilt wrote on 3/11/2024 11:08 AM:
> On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
>> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
>> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
>> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>>
>> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
>> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
>> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
>> of problems.
>>
>> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
>> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
>> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
>> of draft?
>>
>> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
>> signs, but the tour was very good.
> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
> rolling over in their graves. Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
> when.)

Maybe a noble courtier?

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<t_FHN.118485$wDMd.7801@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56137&group=alt.home.repair#56137

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:06 UTC

micky wrote on 3/11/2024 11:52 AM:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:08:58 -0400, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
>>> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
>>> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
>>> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>>>
>>> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
>>> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
>>> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
>>> of problems.
>>>
>>> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
>>> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
>>> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
>>> of draft?
>>>
>>> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
>>> signs, but the tour was very good.
>> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>> rolling over in their graves.
> Sorry about that. I had to check twice to get that close. (Very poor
> with very short term memory.)
>
>> Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>> when.)
> Interesting.
>
> It says that Stephen Udvar-Hazy came as to the US at age 12 in 1958 with
> his family after the Soviets crushed the Hungarian reviolution of 1956.
> I dated a girl a little older than me who left then too. I was 9 then;
> she might have been 12 or 16, or older if like Udvar-Hazy she didn't
> leave until 1958. She didn't get along with her mother also. She had
> to swim across the Danube River to get away, from the Soviets I guess.
> She came to NYC and was living a pretty good life, giving art lectures
> at the Metropolitan Museum etc. Then in the late 70's something changed
> politically in Hungary and she could go back without getting in trouble,
> so she did, and it turned out her mother was no longer there, she was
> living in NYC, had been for years!! Just a couple miles from my friend.
> So they got together again and it was wonderful except it didn't take
> long until the mother was telling the girl how to dress and how to wear
> her hair etc. Just like it had been.

I hope all mothers are like that, so that we wouldn't have all those
girls twerking on TikTok.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<usna9i$8mm$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56138&group=alt.home.repair#56138

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:08:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:08 UTC

In <MQFHN.118484$wDMd.113370@fx07.ams1> =?UTF-8?B?8J+YjiBNaWdodHkgV2FubmFiZSDinIU=?= <@.> writes:

[lots snipped]

>Retirednoguilt wrote on 3/11/2024 11:08 AM:
>> On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
>>> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
>>> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
>>> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
[snip]
>> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>> rolling over in their graves. Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>> when.)

Paging Ray Walston... In addition to his other roles,
he portrayed the groundskeeper at Star Fleet Academy
in the followup Star Trek series.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<bpeuuip4grqa7m9isj1pibmipp7dqkk7ue@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56143&group=alt.home.repair#56143

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:12:45 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:12 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
? <@.> wrote:

>on TikTok.

To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk? All I see are
30 second videos of puppies or people doing silly things.

What does it matter if they can see my location? If I wasn't where I
am, someone else would be here.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<nPHHN.125449$TSTa.97561@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56145&group=alt.home.repair#56145

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:11:31 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:11 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
>? <@.> wrote:
>
>>on TikTok.
>
>To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk?

Because if you are foolish enough to download their application
on your phone, they'll have access to your address list,
browsing preferences, application credentials, and who knows
what else.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<usni6u$3onku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56146&group=alt.home.repair#56146

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:23:26 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

On 3/11/2024 11:52 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:08:58 -0400, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
>>> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
>>> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
>>> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>>>
>>> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
>>> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
>>> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
>>> of problems.
>>>
>>> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
>>> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
>>> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
>>> of draft?
>>>
>>> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
>>> signs, but the tour was very good.
>>
>> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>> rolling over in their graves.
>
> Sorry about that. I had to check twice to get that close. (Very poor
> with very short term memory.)
>
>> Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>> when.)
>
> Interesting.
>
> It says that Stephen Udvar-Hazy came as to the US at age 12 in 1958 with
> his family after the Soviets crushed the Hungarian reviolution of 1956.
> I dated a girl a little older than me who left then too. I was 9 then;
> she might have been 12 or 16, or older if like Udvar-Hazy she didn't
> leave until 1958. She didn't get along with her mother also. She had
> to swim across the Danube River to get away, from the Soviets I guess.
> She came to NYC and was living a pretty good life, giving art lectures
> at the Metropolitan Museum etc. Then in the late 70's something changed
> politically in Hungary and she could go back without getting in trouble,
> so she did, and it turned out her mother was no longer there, she was
> living in NYC, had been for years!! Just a couple miles from my friend.
> So they got together again and it was wonderful except it didn't take
> long until the mother was telling the girl how to dress and how to wear
> her hair etc. Just like it had been.

Sounds like the same behavior I endured as a child from my mother. Very
"old school" European. Brainwashed by her mother. Never stopped her
entire life. Full blown adult-child perspective till the day she died
when she was in her mid-90s. Even though she was brought to the U.S.
when she was less than 2 yrs. old, she never adapted to the American
cultural standards.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<usni9h$3onku$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56147&group=alt.home.repair#56147

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:24:49 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:24 UTC

On 3/11/2024 12:06 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> micky wrote on 3/11/2024 11:52 AM:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:08:58 -0400, Retirednoguilt
>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>>> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>>> rolling over in their graves.
>> Sorry about that. I had to check twice to get that close. (Very poor
>> with very short term memory.)
>>
>>> Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>>> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>>> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>>> when.)
>> Interesting.
>>
>> It says that Stephen Udvar-Hazy came as to the US at age 12 in 1958 with
>> his family after the Soviets crushed the Hungarian reviolution of 1956.
>> I dated a girl a little older than me who left then too. I was 9 then;
>> she might have been 12 or 16, or older if like Udvar-Hazy she didn't
>> leave until 1958. She didn't get along with her mother also. She had
>> to swim across the Danube River to get away, from the Soviets I guess.
>> She came to NYC and was living a pretty good life, giving art lectures
>> at the Metropolitan Museum etc. Then in the late 70's something changed
>> politically in Hungary and she could go back without getting in trouble,
>> so she did, and it turned out her mother was no longer there, she was
>> living in NYC, had been for years!! Just a couple miles from my friend.
>> So they got together again and it was wonderful except it didn't take
>> long until the mother was telling the girl how to dress and how to wear
>> her hair etc. Just like it had been.
>

> I hope all mothers are like that, so that we wouldn't have all those
> girls twerking on TikTok.

And I'm willing to bet that no one forces you to watch those TikToks.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<usnig4$3onku$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56148&group=alt.home.repair#56148

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:28:20 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:28 UTC

On 3/11/2024 1:12 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
> ? <@.> wrote:
>
>> on TikTok.
>
> To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk? All I see are
> 30 second videos of puppies or people doing silly things.
>
> What does it matter if they can see my location? If I wasn't where I
> am, someone else would be here.

The risk is the concern that buried in their software are codes that can
turn on your phone's cameras and microphones and that can read all the
files on your phone including your e-mail, texts, contacts, etc. etc.
Your phone might not have anything of interest but if the app is freely
available, it may be installed by people whose phone contents would be
of interest to an adversary.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<usnio9$3onku$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56149&group=alt.home.repair#56149

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:32:41 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:32 UTC

On 3/11/2024 11:56 AM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> Retirednoguilt wrote on 3/11/2024 11:08 AM:
>> On 3/11/2024 3:08 AM, micky wrote:
>>> I was at the Ugvar-Hazy museum, near Dulles Airport, part of the Air &
>>> Space Museum today, and I saw a plane that was like the plane that
>>> George HW Bush flew in WW2. Eventually he was shot down but rescued.
>>>
>>> And it got me thinkin'. We've had a lot of war heroes for president,
>>> George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower,
>>> John Kennedy, GHWBush, and where has it gotten us? We still have loads
>>> of problems.
>>>
>>> So I recommend we choose a draft dodger and a coward this time. A
>>> businessman who knows how to spend money. How much did he, or maybe his
>>> father, have to pay the doctor who wrote him the letter to get him out
>>> of draft?
>>>
>>> Very good museum. I was going to skip the tours and just read the
>>> signs, but the tour was very good.
>> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>> rolling over in their graves. Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>> when.)
>

> Maybe a noble courtier?

And I thought the nobility in my family tree wasn't known to the general
public. Supposedly, I'm directly descended on my mother's side from the
Eszterhazy family.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<j8kuui117g68fgqol0504lo5qvve99c3ch@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56153&group=alt.home.repair#56153

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:49:31 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:49 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:11:31 GMT,
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
>>? <@.> wrote:
>>
>>>on TikTok.
>>
>>To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk?
>
>Because if you are foolish enough to download their application
>on your phone, they'll have access to your address list,
>browsing preferences, application credentials, and who knows
>what else.

How does that make tiktok more of a problem than any other app that can
do the same things. is China going to attack the US by all of a sudden
making a 200,000 false charges on 100,000 stolen credit cards?

Unrelated, because I asked about security risk but as to me personally,
I have only done anything financial on 3 sites, and even for those I
save neither userids or passwords. What does it matter if they know my
contact list. All those phone numbers appear elswhere or they can just
try consecutive phone numbers. 1 out of 2 will work. That the other
person knows me doesn't make them more valuable.

Browsing preference. i'm not ashamed of the sites I look at. Millions
of people look at all of them.

Application credentials. I think that means userids and passwords.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<aikuuih4s9nvhrgumrpt7ihis7urout09g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56154&group=alt.home.repair#56154

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:51:00 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:51 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:28:20 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 3/11/2024 1:12 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
>> ? <@.> wrote:
>>
>>> on TikTok.
>>
>> To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk? All I see are
>> 30 second videos of puppies or people doing silly things.
>>
>> What does it matter if they can see my location? If I wasn't where I
>> am, someone else would be here.
>
>The risk is the concern that buried in their software are codes that can
>turn on your phone's cameras and microphones and that can read all the
>files on your phone including your e-mail, texts, contacts, etc. etc.
>Your phone might not have anything of interest but if the app is freely
>available, it may be installed by people whose phone contents would be
>of interest to an adversary.

So, I've lost track. Are they trying to ban tiktok from the phones of
govt employees and contractors, which fits what you say, or from
everyone?

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<Z0KHN.142791$Erzc.70904@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56158&group=alt.home.repair#56158

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:42:30 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:42 UTC

Retirednoguilt wrote on 3/11/2024 2:32 PM:
> On 3/11/2024 11:56 AM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
>> Retirednoguilt wrote on 3/11/2024 11:08 AM:

>>> That's "Udvar" Micky, not "Ugvar". My entire Hungarian birth family is
>>> rolling over in their graves. Udvar in Hungarian means court, or
>>> courtyard, or yard. (How that word came to be part of someone's surname
>>> is beyond me. Maybe one of his relatives was a grounds-keeper way back
>>> when.)
>>
>> Maybe a noble courtier?
>>
> And I thought the nobility in my family tree wasn't known to the general
> public. Supposedly, I'm directly descended on my mother's side from the
> Eszterhazy family.

I the old days people lived in small pockets of settlement, and people
did not travel far, therefore there was no need for a "family name". For
example, Jesus didn't have a family name in Biblical times. In the
Bible, he was referred to as "Jesus of Nazareth".

After a while, people found the need to have a "family name" or a "last
name" to avoid confusion because human settlements were getting crowded.
They had inventive ways to pick a last name to adhere to.  Many people
use their profession as their last name, e.g. Carpenter, Miller,
etc."Cohen" is Hebrew for "priest", for example.The Japanese are known
to use natural landscape features as their family name.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<65ef701b$0$876038$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56160&group=alt.home.repair#56160

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:56:59 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:56 UTC

On 3/11/2024 2:11 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:47 -0400, ? Mighty Wannabe
>> ? <@.> wrote:
>>
>>> on TikTok.
>>
>> To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk?
>
> Because if you are foolish enough to download their application
> on your phone, they'll have access to your address list,
> browsing preferences, application credentials, and who knows
> what else.

Sure but look at the benefits. How else would you become adventurous
and take the Tide Pod Challenge?

They are educational, showing poor kids how to steal a Kia.

I never heard of Chroming, but thanks to TicTok, I can now participate.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<65f0226c$0$2077928$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56184&group=alt.home.repair#56184

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 12 Mar 2024 09:37:48 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:37 UTC

On 2024-03-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:11:31 GMT,
> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

>>>To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk?
>>
>>Because if you are foolish enough to download their application
>>on your phone, they'll have access to your address list,
>>browsing preferences, application credentials, and who knows
>>what else.
>
> How does that make tiktok more of a problem than any other app that can
> do the same things. is China going to attack the US by all of a sudden
> making a 200,000 false charges on 100,000 stolen credit cards?

It might. Or it might use data mining techniques to launch a
cyber attack on our financial systems.

Or they might identify vulnerable people in sensitive positions
(e.g., government or defense contractors) to try to leverage them
to commit espionage.

> Unrelated, because I asked about security risk but as to me personally,

It's not about an old fart like you. It's about people who really
manage their lives from their phones.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<uspivl$9psq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56186&group=alt.home.repair#56186

From: nul...@geek.com (M. Bates)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:48:53 -0400
 by: M. Bates - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:48 UTC

On 3/12/2024 5:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-03-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:11:31 GMT,
>> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>>> Because if you are foolish enough to download their application
>>> on your phone, they'll have access to your address list,
>>> browsing preferences, application credentials, and who knows
>>> what else.
>>
>> How does that make tiktok more of a problem than any other app that can
>> do the same things. is China going to attack the US by all of a sudden
>> making a 200,000 false charges on 100,000 stolen credit cards?
>
> It might. Or it might use data mining techniques to launch a
> cyber attack on our financial systems.
>
> Or they might identify vulnerable people in sensitive positions
> (e.g., government or defense contractors) to try to leverage them
> to commit espionage.
>
>> Unrelated, because I asked about security risk but as to me personally,
>
> It's not about an old fart like you. It's about people who really
> manage their lives from their phones.

How else would my Twitter and Facebook followers know what good things
I'm doing? I impress them every hour.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<vro0vi12uutksk15frlqsfmda03bh39qmv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56188&group=alt.home.repair#56188

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:19:08 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:19 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on 12 Mar 2024 09:37:48 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2024-03-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:11:31 GMT,
>> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>>>Because if you are foolish enough to download their application
>>>on your phone, they'll have access to your address list,
>>>browsing preferences, application credentials, and who knows
>>>what else.
>>
>> How does that make tiktok more of a problem than any other app that can
>> do the same things. is China going to attack the US by all of a sudden
>> making a 200,000 false charges on 100,000 stolen credit cards?
>
>It might. Or it might use data mining techniques to launch a
>cyber attack on our financial systems.

Someone will have to explain to me how having the bank recordsz of
100,000 people would enable a cyber attack.

>Or they might identify vulnerable people in sensitive positions
>(e.g., government or defense contractors) to try to leverage them
>to commit espionage.

I think I said before that I didn't know if this new bill addressed
everyone or government employees and contractors only. It's everyone,
an dthere is already a rule against government employees and
contractors. Why do they need the rest of us.

I realize the committee vote was unanimous, so the Democrats too must
think there is a problem, but I don't see it.

>> Unrelated, because I asked about security risk but as to me personally,
>
>It's not about an old fart like you. It's about people who really
>manage their lives from their phones.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<d4p0vi9463tfgm55ka50qhnbmk8q2d6q4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56189&group=alt.home.repair#56189

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:20:37 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:20 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:51:00 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:28:20 -0400, Retirednoguilt
><HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>>On 3/11/2024 1:12 PM, micky wrote:

>>> To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk? All I see are
>>> 30 second videos of puppies or people doing silly things.
>>>
>>> What does it matter if they can see my location? If I wasn't where I
>>> am, someone else would be here.
>>
>>The risk is the concern that buried in their software are codes that can
>>turn on your phone's cameras and microphones and that can read all the
>>files on your phone including your e-mail, texts, contacts, etc. etc.
>>Your phone might not have anything of interest but if the app is freely
>>available, it may be installed by people whose phone contents would be
>>of interest to an adversary.
>
>So, I've lost track. Are they trying to ban tiktok from the phones of
>govt employees and contractors, which fits what you say, or from
>everyone?

The radio cleared this up. It's everyone. Govt. emploees and
contractors are already prohibited.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<uspohk$avan$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56191&group=alt.home.repair#56191

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:23:47 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

On 3/11/2024 2:51 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:28:20 -0400, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2024 1:12 PM, micky wrote:

>>> To change the subject, how can tiktok be a security risk? All I see are
>>> 30 second videos of puppies or people doing silly things.
>>>
>>> What does it matter if they can see my location? If I wasn't where I
>>> am, someone else would be here.
>>
>> The risk is the concern that buried in their software are codes that can
>> turn on your phone's cameras and microphones and that can read all the
>> files on your phone including your e-mail, texts, contacts, etc. etc.
>> Your phone might not have anything of interest but if the app is freely
>> available, it may be installed by people whose phone contents would be
>> of interest to an adversary.
>
> So, I've lost track. Are they trying to ban tiktok from the phones of
> govt employees and contractors, which fits what you say, or from
> everyone?

Everyone.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<MPG.405a3a0b2e98490a989f3c@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56195&group=alt.home.repair#56195

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:08:52 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:08 UTC

In article <vro0vi12uutksk15frlqsfmda03bh39qmv@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

> I think I said before that I didn't know if this new bill addressed
> everyone or government employees and contractors only. It's everyone,
> an dthere is already a rule against government employees and
> contractors. Why do they need the rest of us.
>
> I realize the committee vote was unanimous, so the Democrats too must
> think there is a problem, but I don't see it.

This tictok bill does about as much good as holding yur hand over your
head in a rain storm to keep from getting wet. There is so much info
out there and so many hidden things in the computer/smart phones that
one more app will make very little difference.

It is just a case where the government thinks something needs to be done
but do not know what to do but wants to do something to make the public
feel good. Reminds me of way back in the 1970's when gas was in a
shortage and the speed limit was cut to 55 mph to save it.
Or when Duke Enegery wanted people to cut back on the power usage for
the shortage. People 'did' and the next year Duke asked for a raise in
the rates because people cut back too much.

Re: OT where has it gotten us?

<uspuhv$cajj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=56204&group=alt.home.repair#56204

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:06:21 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:06 UTC

On 3/12/2024 11:08 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <vro0vi12uutksk15frlqsfmda03bh39qmv@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07
> @fmguy.com says...
>>
>> I think I said before that I didn't know if this new bill addressed
>> everyone or government employees and contractors only. It's everyone,
>> an dthere is already a rule against government employees and
>> contractors. Why do they need the rest of us.
>>
>> I realize the committee vote was unanimous, so the Democrats too must
>> think there is a problem, but I don't see it.
>>>

> This tictok bill does about as much good as holding yur hand over your
> head in a rain storm to keep from getting wet. There is so much info
> out there and so many hidden things in the computer/smart phones that
> one more app will make very little difference.
>
> It is just a case where the government thinks something needs to be done
> but do not know what to do but wants to do something to make the public
> feel good. Reminds me of way back in the 1970's when gas was in a
> shortage and the speed limit was cut to 55 mph to save it.
> Or when Duke Enegery wanted people to cut back on the power usage for
> the shortage. People 'did' and the next year Duke asked for a raise in
> the rates because people cut back too much.

I feel the same way. As long is there is no built in virus in the app
to infect other programs or steal things like your money in the bank it
is probably no different from the other crap out there.

I have always thought government should do what it is supposed to do and
not regulate every aspect of our lives.