From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT IVF interview
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 15:54:09 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:54 UTC

NBC has an interview with the first IVF baby, from 1981

"I can still remember my petri dish", Elizabeth Carr said, "The sides
and the lid were glass and I could see the whole lab and the people
working there. I had never seen people before, so it was very
interesting. They were all so busy, while I was doing nothing. Well, I
guess I was growing a little, and every once in a while I'd feel a
little bump. They tell me that's when I made a new cell. It didnt' hurt
though.... I'm glad they never froze me. The thought gives me the
shivers. But I hear they give you blankets to keep you warm when frozen,
so I guess it wouldn't be that bad."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Jordan_Carr and google for more
of her interview. She said it's not true that the top of her head is
flatter than usual because the dish was so shallow.

She'll be a guest at the State of Union speech tonight, 9PM ET
I think at
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/live-blog/live-updates-state-union-biden-rcna140769

https://www.thegardnernews.com/story/news/2019/12/28/headlines-of-past-dec-29-1981-its-girl-westminster-test-tube-baby-elizabeth-jordan-carr-born/1998632007/
When [the mother] Judith Carr was in her early years of college, she had
her appendix out and the scar tissue from the operation caused many of
her issues.-- I don't know how often this causes fertility problems, or
where the scars are. Now they have laparoscopic appendectomy, but I
don't know if that means fewer problem scars.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10353-021-00703-1 40 years
later:
Despite the existence of contrasting opinions concerning fertility after
appendectomy, the most recent evidence suggests that appendectomy may
actually lead to improved fertility and decreased time to pregnancy.
Appendectomy seems to be correlated with improved fertility and higher
pregnancy rates. --- Now why would that possibly be?

Boring:
https://www.brownfertility.com/announcements/elizabeth-carr-first-ivf-baby-in-the-u-s-turns-40-today-and-publishes-memoir