From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: DIY Electronic Vehicle Rust Prevention
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 22:55:16 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:55 UTC

On 6 Mar 2024 08:13:02 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
Kev) wrote:

> [...]
>
>That's how the other test in the second link was performed
>(described from PDF page 7). However the spray there was continuous
>rather than periodic, so your friend's test could have been more
>realistic in that regard.
>
>> The painted panels started corroding within a couple of months and were
>> pretty damaged by the end of the test. A lot of the corrosion started at
>> the edges where the metal was bare, but there was corrosion that started
>> in the middle of the panels as well. I figured that the edge corrosion
>> would be similar to what would happen to a surface with a scratch in the
>> paint.
>
>I'm not sure about that, and it would depend then on how the panels
>were cut.
>
>> He did have some panels in another enclosure that were not connected to
>> one of the devices. There wasn't much, if any difference between the
>> sets of panels. They all rusted.
>>
>> The test was done in the late '80s, so I'd expect that coatings
>> technology has greatly improved since then, plus I know that at least
>> some (all?) of the car makers now use galvanized steel for body
>> parts. There's possibly less need for one of these devices now than
>> there was.
>
>My interest is in protecting older vehicles, from the 80s and 90s.
>
>> I'm not telling anyone what to buy or not buy, but I know that for
>> myself I wouldn't spend the money on these gadgets. I'd rather put that
>> money into washing my car to try to clean the salt off.
>>
>> I think my friend wound up having more fun building the test rigs than
>> anything else. Running the tests themselves was about as fun as watching
>> grass grow. :-)
>
>The awkward part for doing tests myself seems to be cheaply
>aquiring car body panels to test it on. I could fall back on just
>trying it on cheap galvanised sheet metal and assuming the results
>would relate to automotive panels, but much of the documentation
>suggests that the glvanising plays an important role in how the
>devices work, and looking around at all the galvanised steel
>rusting at completely different rates around my property (some
>probably on the vehicles that I want to protect) demonstrates that
>it varies a lot in quality.
>
>> BTW, I'm not disputing the electrochemistry that's the basis of these
>> devices. I'm just not convinced that it applies to these devices in the
>> real world on cars being driven on roads, particularly in areas where
>> they're exposed to salt.
>
>Salt isn't actually a factor for me in (non-coastal) Australia,
>which is why this test in a humidity chamber is more relevent:
>https://www.finalcoat.com/assets/lab_tests/Smithers.pdf
>
>However it's unclear why that wasn't sufficient for that company
>to fend off the Canadian regulators who required they do that other
>test later before allowing sales to resume. Perhaps there was an
>issue with the independence of the lab? It looks like the only way
For cheep test parts go to your local panel beater and ask for
damaged take-off panels.
But trust me, the crap does NOT WORK on cars. The principal works on
boats - but I think the implementation is different

Re: DIY Electronic Vehicle Rust Prevention

<us8q8u$73mn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55883&group=alt.home.repair#55883

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:08:50 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 04:08 UTC

On 3/5/2024 7:55 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> [...]
>>> real world on cars being driven on roads, particularly in areas where
>>> they're exposed to salt.
>>
>> Salt isn't actually a factor for me in (non-coastal) Australia,
>> which is why this test in a humidity chamber is more relevent:
>> https://www.finalcoat.com/assets/lab_tests/Smithers.pdf
>>
>> However it's unclear why that wasn't sufficient for that company
>> to fend off the Canadian regulators who required they do that other
>> test later before allowing sales to resume. Perhaps there was an
>> issue with the independence of the lab? It looks like the only way
>> to be sure is to try it myself.
> For cheep test parts go to your local panel beater and ask for
> damaged take-off panels.
> But trust me, the crap does NOT WORK on cars. The principal works on
> boats - but I think the implementation is different

It works fine if you park in a pool of salt water. I can't imagine how
it would work in air. What is the current path?