From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: DIY Electronic Vehicle Rust Prevention
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:18:53 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:18 UTC

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 05:26:33 -0500, Bud Frede <frede@mouse-potato.com>
wrote:

>chop <chop654@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 23:36:42 +1100, Computer Nerd Kev
>> <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>>> That's exactly the sort of non-evidence that makes me want to test
>>> it out myself. On the one hand there are tests accepted by the
>>> Canadian regulators as proof of effectiveness, and on the other
>>> hand "they don't seem to be popular".
>>
>> That may just be because the car manufacturers currently
>> do a good enough job with the paint so they aren't necessary
>>
>> I have added alt.home.repair which has lots of north americans
>> and likely Clare Snyder who is actually a male, whose first name
>> is Clarence who is a very experience mechanic may comment.
>>
>> I sure wouldn't pay hundreds
>>> for one, but if the root of the thing is just applying simple
>>> electrical signals to the paint surface, it's an easy thing to test
>>> a DIY equivalent on some bits of scrap. Some of the patents contain
>>> useful details.
>>>
>>> But if there are actual records of people doing such tests and
>>> showing that it's all lies, which I can see myself (not just hear
>>> rumor of), then I wouldn't.
>
>A friend of mine tested this in the lab when I was in college. The
>devices don't work. They've been around for decades and they've never
>worked.
>
>He wrote a paper on it for the class he was in, but I don't think it was
>ever published since it just debunked some junk science and didn't
>actually represent any new and valuable research in terms of chemistry.

My sister had one installed on her new Neon - which was later
purchased by my youngest daughter. The entire front lip seam of the
hood rusted away along with several brake lines and there was
significant rust on the bottom door seams. This on a car that was kept
pretty clean at all times. My "strong impression" was that the device
was useless.

A good friend had the device installed on his new Pontiac car and GMC
pickup. Both vehicles went back to the dealer/installer for the annual
checkups and had THOUSANDS of dollars of rust repair performed under
the provided rust warranty. Truck fenders replaced, truck hood
replaced, box sides replaced - cab coprners and body mounts repaired -
even rear step bumper replced IIRC. The hood and trunk were repaired
on the car as well as front fender and lower rear quarter replcaement.
The only value he got out of those devices was the rust repairs done
because the devices did nothing. He sure got his money's worth out of
both of them but it almost appeared the vehicles rusted MORE than
average - - - certainly not less.
I asked my neighbor - a chemical engineer - his opinion of the device
and process and he stated unequivically there was no valid scientific
hypothesis behind the product. He said on steel ships immersed in salt
water the theory "held water" as well as on iron bridges subjected to
road salt brine - but the implementation on a vehicle was at the very
least "extremely problematic" - and this from a prof with numerous
very advanced patents to his name - mostly in nanotechnology and
advanced chromaography and instrumentation / sampling.

My Ford Ranger without the device - having been oil sprayed regularly
for the first 10 years of it's life and sporadically for the last 18
has a LOT LESS rust than either the Neon, Pontiac or GMC and is still
on the road after twice as many yars as any ot the three. (yes, I
replaced the box but it was in better shape before replacement at 25
years of age than the GMC was after all the repairs at age 12).
My 1988 Chrysler with 244000km on it at 18 years of age, oil sprayed
twice in it's life, with no device installed had one hole repaired in
the passenger's side floor and no visible rust when I sold (not
scrapped) it in 2006.

These experiences are from south western Ontario, where in an average
year (this year is ANYTHING BUT!!!) we have a lot of snow and use a
LOT of salt on the roads.
Just about 30 miles from Hubcaps