When the sun shineth, make hay. -- John Heywood

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

SubjectAuthor
* OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?micky
+- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Dik Kraven-Moorehead
+* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Retirednoguilt
|`- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?micky
+* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Cindy Hamilton
|`* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Clare Snyder
| `* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?trader_4
|  +- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?micky
|  `* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?bud--
|   `- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Cindy Hamilton
`* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?hubops
 +* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Clare Snyder
 |`* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?hubops
 | +* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?micky
 | |`- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?hubops
 | `- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Clare Snyder
 `* Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Clare Snyder
  `- Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?Retirednoguilt

1
OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<she1tip9s104b13lc8i3q1m90n18vsv5ij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55366&group=alt.home.repair#55366

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:57:47 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 13:57 UTC

OT although related to home finance,

I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
over that it's only $50.)

But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
enough.

This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
computer at their home.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<17b4add88009e806$126493$1979536$52d51861@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55367&group=alt.home.repair#55367

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: dik...@redacted.000 (Dik Kraven-Moorehead)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:48:23 -0500
 by: Dik Kraven-Moorehead - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:48 UTC

micky wrote:
> OT although related to home finance,
>
> I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
> for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
> soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
> over that it's only $50.)
>
> But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
> online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
> can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
> enough.
>
> This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
> their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
> computer at their home.

The US government is now choosing the candidates who will be allowed to run in the 2024 election.
If you are looking for a law to protect you, you may no longer find it.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<uqqj6r$fdju$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55369&group=alt.home.repair#55369

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 10:26:19 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:26 UTC

On 2/17/2024 8:57 AM, micky wrote:
> OT although related to home finance,
>
> I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
> for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
> soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
> over that it's only $50.)
>
> But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
> online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
> can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
> enough.
>
> This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
> their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
> computer at their home.

Contact that bank. This probably happens many times daily. They're
sure to have a procedure to verify your identity and restore your access
to your now $0 on-line account.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<Ym4AN.466579$83n7.57711@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55370&group=alt.home.repair#55370

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:35:20 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:35 UTC

On 2024-02-17, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> OT although related to home finance,
>
> I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
> for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
> soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
> over that it's only $50.)
>
> But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
> online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
> can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
> enough.
>
> This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
> their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
> computer at their home.

What did your bank tell you when you asked them?

What were the results of your google search?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<qmm1ti9a67jn1krdo4kb0e7qe77jk6qdah@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55371&group=alt.home.repair#55371

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:20:25 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:20 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:35:20 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2024-02-17, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> OT although related to home finance,
>>
>> I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
>> for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
>> soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
>> over that it's only $50.)
>>
>> But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
>> online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
>> can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
>> enough.
>>
>> This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
>> their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
>> computer at their home.
>
>What did your bank tell you when you asked them?
>
>What were the results of your google search?

One reason NOT to deal withan "online only" bank. If I lose an
unsecured phone (who the 7734 doesn't secure their phone today??????)
or suspect my account number and passwords have been compromizwd I
walk into my local branch and change the password - and possibly close
the account and open a new one. I also do NOT use debit for
transactions. Easy to limit debit transactions to something you can
live with losing - like $50 or $100 - or even $0 so if someone gets
your debit card or info they can't rob you blind.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<p8o1tipldq74ijuinta3s8jrn6n7qnrnf3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55372&group=alt.home.repair#55372

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:46:59 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:46 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:57:47 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>OT although related to home finance,
>
>I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
>for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
>soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
>over that it's only $50.)
>
>But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
>online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
>can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
>enough.
>
>This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
>their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
>computer at their home.

We were forced to escalate our complaint up-the-ladder
from our branch to head office and upwards at head office
before we got a resolution .. it took 6 months.
.. even then we were forced to sign a "keep quiet"
agreement .. all over a mistake that was 100 %
the bank's fault .. as lifelong customers, we sure felt
like specks of dust ! .. our subsequent banking experiences
with the Credit Union have been A-1 in every respect.
John T.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<dac2tiphn48j5o2s9spm4npindn5pckgso@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55378&group=alt.home.repair#55378

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:26:51 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 22:26 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:46:59 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:57:47 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>OT although related to home finance,
>>
>>I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
>>for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
>>soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
>>over that it's only $50.)
>>
>>But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
>>online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
>>can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
>>enough.
>>
>>This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
>>their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
>>computer at their home.
>>

>We were forced to escalate our complaint up-the-ladder
>from our branch to head office and upwards at head office
>before we got a resolution .. it took 6 months.
> .. even then we were forced to sign a "keep quiet"
>agreement .. all over a mistake that was 100 %
> the bank's fault .. as lifelong customers, we sure felt
>like specks of dust ! .. our subsequent banking experiences
>with the Credit Union have been A-1 in every respect.
> John T.

Libro? Have heard nothing but good about them - also Kindred.
I've been with TD Canada Trust since about 1960 when it was Waterloo
Trust.Company account and some investments with CIBC and some
investments with Libro.
No complaints with either. Did have my access card compromized at TD
but THEY caught it and fixed it painlessly before I even knew anything
had happened.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<qmc2ti1q2ug8f4j1rv7fjr4dqcl9lggs1i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55379&group=alt.home.repair#55379

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:29:34 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 22:29 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:46:59 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:57:47 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>OT although related to home finance,
>>
>>I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
>>for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
>>soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
>>over that it's only $50.)
>>
>>But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
>>online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
>>can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
>>enough.
>>
>>This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
>>their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
>>computer at their home.
>>

>We were forced to escalate our complaint up-the-ladder
>from our branch to head office and upwards at head office
>before we got a resolution .. it took 6 months.
> .. even then we were forced to sign a "keep quiet"
>agreement .. all over a mistake that was 100 %
> the bank's fault .. as lifelong customers, we sure felt
>like specks of dust ! .. our subsequent banking experiences
>with the Credit Union have been A-1 in every respect.
> John T.

We sure are fortunate with our banking system up here in Canada. MUCH
better regulated and much more secure than the US banking system - and
in fact better than pretty much anywhere else in the world.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<dbd2tihcqfiooj7s2skvovfg282jb516d6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55380&group=alt.home.repair#55380

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:46:18 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 22:46 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:26:51 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:46:59 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:57:47 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>OT although related to home finance,
>>>
>>>I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
>>>for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
>>>soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
>>>over that it's only $50.)
>>>
>>>But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
>>>online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
>>>can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
>>>enough.
>>>
>>>This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
>>>their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
>>>computer at their home.
>>>

>>We were forced to escalate our complaint up-the-ladder
>>from our branch to head office and upwards at head office
>>before we got a resolution .. it took 6 months.
>> .. even then we were forced to sign a "keep quiet"
>>agreement .. all over a mistake that was 100 %
>> the bank's fault .. as lifelong customers, we sure felt
>>like specks of dust ! .. our subsequent banking experiences
>>with the Credit Union have been A-1 in every respect.
>> John T.
>

>Libro? Have heard nothing but good about them - also Kindred.
> I've been with TD Canada Trust since about 1960 when it was Waterloo
>Trust.Company account and some investments with CIBC and some
>investments with Libro.
>No complaints with either. Did have my access card compromized at TD
>but THEY caught it and fixed it painlessly before I even knew anything
>had happened.

CIBC branch manager was covering-ass it seems ..
... to the tune of about $ 3500. of _our_ dollars.
When it went to head office - lower level just wanted to
support the branch - higher level just wanted it to
go away.
Kindred - nothing but good to say.
John T.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<p5g2ti9giqieppq04e2cn6r1oiv3d89frv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55381&group=alt.home.repair#55381

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:28:36 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:28 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:46:18 -0500,
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:26:51 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:46:59 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>>We were forced to escalate our complaint up-the-ladder
>>>from our branch to head office and upwards at head office
>>>before we got a resolution .. it took 6 months.
>>> .. even then we were forced to sign a "keep quiet"
>>>agreement .. all over a mistake that was 100 %
>>> the bank's fault .. as lifelong customers, we sure felt
>>>like specks of dust ! .. our subsequent banking experiences
>>>with the Credit Union have been A-1 in every respect.
>>> John T.
>>

>>Libro? Have heard nothing but good about them - also Kindred.
>> I've been with TD Canada Trust since about 1960 when it was Waterloo
>>Trust.Company account and some investments with CIBC and some
>>investments with Libro.
>>No complaints with either. Did have my access card compromized at TD
>>but THEY caught it and fixed it painlessly before I even knew anything
>>had happened.
>>

> CIBC branch manager was covering-ass it seems ..

This sounds similar to a USA idiom but not similar enough.

He was embezzling money from your account to pay for ...something?

>.. to the tune of about $ 3500. of _our_ dollars.

Or where had the money gone?

>When it went to head office - lower level just wanted to
>support the branch - higher level just wanted it to
>go away.
> Kindred - nothing but good to say.
> John T.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<qfg2tido2ta4d90461op6f6jbhikaato6l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55383&group=alt.home.repair#55383

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:43:01 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:43 UTC

>> CIBC branch manager was covering-ass it seems ..
>>.. to the tune of about $ 3500. of _our_ dollars.
>>When it went to head office - lower level just wanted to
>>support the branch - higher level just wanted it to
>>go away.
>> John T.
>
>This sounds similar to a USA idiom but not similar enough.
>He was embezzling money from your account to pay for ...something?
>Or where had the money gone?

Nope - just Big Bank arrogance - the $ 3500.
wasn't even a molecule in the company's coffers.
John T.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<7ag2ti5v1mlsen5st2jq7v35e8fviono7l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55385&group=alt.home.repair#55385

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:56:00 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:56 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Feb 2024 10:26:19 -0500, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 2/17/2024 8:57 AM, micky wrote:
>> OT although related to home finance,
>>
>> I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
>> for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
>> soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
>> over that it's only $50.)
>>
>> But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
>> online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
>> can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
>> enough.
>>
>> This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
>> their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
>> computer at their home.
>
>Contact that bank. This probably happens many times daily. They're

Good idea, but couldn't do that until Monday. I have to know how much
to worry for the next two days.

>sure to have a procedure to verify your identity and restore your access
>to your now $0 on-line account.

?;)

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<uqtf5k$1c50d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55407&group=alt.home.repair#55407

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:35:47 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:35 UTC

On 2/17/2024 5:29 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

> We sure are fortunate with our banking system up here in Canada. MUCH
> better regulated and much more secure than the US banking system - and
> in fact better than pretty much anywhere else in the world.

Here in the U.S., I've had nothing but superlative service and great
rates from the largest credit union in our country both by number of
branches and by total deposits on hand. Been with them for 47 years.
Whether with savings accounts, checking accounts, credit cards, debit
cards, or lines of credit, I'm a big fan. Commercial banks here are
another story entirely.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<dl45tit5tlsdpt3eebkea1sccb71urfuv1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55413&group=alt.home.repair#55413

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:31:52 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 23:31 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:46:18 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:26:51 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:46:59 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>>We were forced to escalate our complaint up-the-ladder
>>>from our branch to head office and upwards at head office
>>>before we got a resolution .. it took 6 months.
>>> .. even then we were forced to sign a "keep quiet"
>>>agreement .. all over a mistake that was 100 %
>>> the bank's fault .. as lifelong customers, we sure felt
>>>like specks of dust ! .. our subsequent banking experiences
>>>with the Credit Union have been A-1 in every respect.
>>> John T.
>>

>>Libro? Have heard nothing but good about them - also Kindred.
>> I've been with TD Canada Trust since about 1960 when it was Waterloo
>>Trust.Company account and some investments with CIBC and some
>>investments with Libro.
>>No complaints with either. Did have my access card compromized at TD
>>but THEY caught it and fixed it painlessly before I even knew anything
>>had happened.
>>

> CIBC branch manager was covering-ass it seems ..
>.. to the tune of about $ 3500. of _our_ dollars.
>When it went to head office - lower level just wanted to
>support the branch - higher level just wanted it to
>go away.
> Kindred - nothing but good to say.
> John T.
I know a few people who have had nothing good to say about RBC.
As far as CIBC is concerned I didn't do much actual banking with them.
Never had a card with them. They just handled my business deposits and
cheques - not much they could really screw up.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<62b68b47-9ed1-446f-a708-25d7684559a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55422&group=alt.home.repair#55422

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:52:15 -0800 (PST)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:52 UTC

On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:35:20 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
> <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >On 2024-02-17, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:
> >> OT although related to home finance,
> >>
> >> I've often heard that if you lose your credit card, you are only liable
> >> for $50 someone else charges on it, and for nothing if you report it
> >> soon enough (Although no one has said what soon enough is. if you're
> >> over that it's only $50.)
> >>
> >> But what are the risks if you lose your userid and password to your
> >> online bank account and they transfer 1000's of dollars out. Yes, they
> >> can see where it was transferred to, but I have the feeling that's not
> >> enough.
> >>
> >> This is a bigger problem now that people "access" their accounts from
> >> their phones, which are a lot easier to lose or get stolen then the
> >> computer at their home.
> >
> >What did your bank tell you when you asked them?
> >
> >What were the results of your google search?
> One reason NOT to deal withan "online only" bank. If I lose an
> unsecured phone (who the 7734 doesn't secure their phone today??????)
> or suspect my account number and passwords have been compromizwd I
> walk into my local branch and change the password - and possibly close
> the account and open a new one.

You can do that online with any online bank too without having to go to a
branch. And unless you have no lock on your phone, it should either be locked
if you haven't been using it or lock within a minute or two of leaving it with no
activity. The window of vulnerability should be very small You can also
Google erase it online if anyone tries to get it working and has a cloud
connection.

I also do NOT use debit for
> transactions. Easy to limit debit transactions to something you can
> live with losing - like $50 or $100 - or even $0 so if someone gets
> your debit card or info they can't rob you blind.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<qgq9tidv6atopvg7fq0avqbenoiuta4lk6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55485&group=alt.home.repair#55485

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:12:51 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:12 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:52:15 -0800 (PST), trader_4
<trader4@optonline.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 11:20:31?AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:35:20 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
>> <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> >What did your bank tell you when you asked them?
>> >
>> >What were the results of your google search?
>> One reason NOT to deal withan "online only" bank. If I lose an
>> unsecured phone (who the 7734 doesn't secure their phone today??????)
>> or suspect my account number and passwords have been compromizwd I
>> walk into my local branch and change the password - and possibly close
>> the account and open a new one.
>
>You can do that online with any online bank too without having to go to a
>branch. And unless you have no lock on your phone, it should either be locked
>if you haven't been using it or lock within a minute or two of leaving it with no
>activity.

I don't lock my phone but I also don't save any bank login information
in it. I suppose it still exists somewhere in unallocated RAM, until it
gets written over, but I'm thinking no one who finds or steals my phone
will know how to find it. I did have a phone stolen in Greece and
there were no ramifications, other than a missing phone.

He also stole my wallet (from the car), including one debit and one
credit card. One bank, not a famous one, was so stupid I couldn't
cancel the card for 36 hours (all day Saturday until 5PM Sunday Greek
time), because when I called on the phone several times it said the
system was down, and when I found a PC I could use, again, several times
over hours, and also a second person called for me or let me use his
phone, it said that system was down too. I wanted to write them about
this but other than snail mail(or maybe chat that I didnt' think of)
there is no way to write them. So I told the woman on the phone and she
repeated everything back to me, and said she would relay it, but I have
no way afaict to tell if they've fixed things.

Still, I watched all the alerts and then reviewed the statement for both
cards and nothing was charged to them. And I had brought two other
cards, credit and debit, so my vacation was not damaged.

> The window of vulnerability should be very small You can also
>Google erase it online if anyone tries to get it working and has a cloud
>connection.

That would work well when not travelling, but I didn't have my laptop
with me and couldn't but another phone for 3 days.

>I also do NOT use debit for
>> transactions. Easy to limit debit transactions to something you can
>> live with losing - like $50 or $100 - or even $0 so if someone gets
>> your debit card or info they can't rob you blind.

There is something to that, probably good advice, but iirc, though the
money may be out of the account at first, unlike with a credit card, you
can get it back and the same rules about limiting loss to $50 if
reported (within 2 days**) still apply.

Yes, I think that's correct: "How much money can you lose if your debit
card is stolen?
Let's say you lost your debit card or it was stolen. If you notify your
bank or credit union within two business days of discovering the loss or
theft of the card, the bank or credit union can't hold you responsible
for more than the amount of any unauthorized transactions or $50,
whichever is less. Aug 28, 2023"
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/how-do-i-get-my-money-back-after-i-discover-an-unauthorized-transaction-or-money-missing-from-my-bank-account-en-1017/
This page covers several situations.

Also,
https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-debit-cards
If your credit, ATM, or debit card is lost or stolen, federal law limits
your liability for charges made without your permission, but your
protection depends on the type of card — and when you report the loss.
---This says, maybe, something different from the first link:
You report your card’s loss after someone uses it
Credit card: The maximum you might be responsible for is $50
Debit card: What you’re responsible for depends on how quickly you
reported it. [!!]
If someone uses your ATM or debit card before you report it lost or
stolen, what you owe depends on how quickly you report it:
If you report your ATM or debit card lost or stolen… …within 2
business days after you learn about the loss or theft, $50
…more than 2 business days after you learn about the loss or theft,
but within 60 calendar days after your statement is sent to you $500

So it's no worse than I thought plus there is a limit of $500 if
reported within 60 days of receiving the next statement, or maybe the
statement that shows the invalid charges. I did not know about that.

…more than 60 calendar days after your statement is sent to you: All
the money taken from your ATM/debit card account, and possibly more —
for example, money in accounts linked to your debit account. Yikes!

I urge you to read the whole link -- it's not very long -- from the FTC
and dated only 13 months ago. Because I didn't quote everything,
especially where it was silent. If I read it correctly, you actually
have more protection for an ATM or debit card than for a credit card. I
never heard or read that before. I had thought it was the same or less.
**In my story at the top there was a night before I was able to even try
to report it, and i finally reached them about 47 hours after it was
stolen. I see that I was just in time. I'm surprised the cards were not
used. Maybe it's harder to use a stolen card in another country, or at
least in Greece. I suppose the stolen phone was used as a phone, etc.
but not for banking.

I had parked after dark in an entertainment area known to locals as a
place where cars are broken into. That's when the car was broken into. I
went back 2 afternoons later to talk to someone and parked on a block
without stores or the fronts or windows of houses three blocks farther
from that entertainment district in Athens, I was suprised there was
on-street parking so close, and I asked someone walking down the street
who spoke English, and he told me not to park there. Then I looked down
and in the crack between the curb and the sidewalk I saw a row of broken
glass at least 40 feet long, from all the broken car windows. I left.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/synagogue/@37.9791004,23.7186497,45m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&entry=ttu
There are cars parked there in the picture. Maybe the police cleaned
things up. Imagery c 2024 -- but is that the real date?

Street view otoh shows it almost empty and note the graffiti,
Image Capture sep 2022.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9791609,23.7186491,3a,75y,143.71h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHnoWZq4VOca5CQ86ZtQlZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<3sABN.65345$LONb.43087@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55539&group=alt.home.repair#55539

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: nul...@void.com (bud--)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:51:58 -0600
 by: bud-- - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 04:51 UTC

On 2/19/2024 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 15:35:20 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
>> <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> What did your bank tell you when you asked them?
>>>
>>> What were the results of your google search?
>> One reason NOT to deal withan "online only" bank. If I lose an
>> unsecured phone (who the 7734 doesn't secure their phone today??????)
>> or suspect my account number and passwords have been compromizwd I
>> walk into my local branch and change the password - and possibly close
>> the account and open a new one.
>
> You can do that online with any online bank too without having to go to a
> branch. And unless you have no lock on your phone, it should either be locked
> if you haven't been using it or lock within a minute or two of leaving it with no
> activity. The window of vulnerability should be very small You can also
> Google erase it online if anyone tries to get it working and has a cloud
> connection.

A coupe of schemes locally:

After bar closing someone (part of an organized ring) wants to put their
contact information on someones phone (must have been some reason to do
that - don't understand). They them steal the phone, which is unlocked.

As part of a carjacking a phone is stolen and owner is forced to unlock it.

In some cases a lot of money has been drained.

> I also do NOT use debit for
>> transactions. Easy to limit debit transactions to something you can
>> live with losing - like $50 or $100 - or even $0 so if someone gets
>> your debit card or info they can't rob you blind.

Re: OT What if you lose your bank account userid and passowrd?

<PTEBN.109802$TSTa.54401@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55541&group=alt.home.repair#55541

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:57:03 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:57 UTC

On 2024-02-22, bud-- <null@void.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/2024 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
>> On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>> One reason NOT to deal withan "online only" bank. If I lose an
>>> unsecured phone (who the 7734 doesn't secure their phone today??????)
>>> or suspect my account number and passwords have been compromizwd I
>>> walk into my local branch and change the password - and possibly close
>>> the account and open a new one.
>>
>> You can do that online with any online bank too without having to go to a
>> branch. And unless you have no lock on your phone, it should either be locked
>> if you haven't been using it or lock within a minute or two of leaving it with no
>> activity. The window of vulnerability should be very small You can also
>> Google erase it online if anyone tries to get it working and has a cloud
>> connection.
>
> A coupe of schemes locally:
>
> After bar closing someone (part of an organized ring) wants to put their
> contact information on someones phone (must have been some reason to do
> that - don't understand).

"Let me give you my phone number. I'll call you for a date."

--
Cindy Hamilton