Huh?

interests / alt.home.repair / Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

SubjectAuthor
* Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Nick Cine
+- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?micky
+* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Clare Snyder
|`- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?hubops
+* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Ralph Mowery
|`- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Frank
+- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Dean
+* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Bob F
|+* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Scott Lurndal
||`* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Bob F
|| `* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Scott Lurndal
||  `* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Bob F
||   `- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Bob F
|`- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?hubops
`* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Dean
 +- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?micky
 `* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?bud--
  `* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Ralph Mowery
   `* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Frank
    +- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Ralph Mowery
    `* Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?Hiram T Schwantz
     `- Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?cshenk

1
Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur4427$dec6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55499&group=alt.home.repair#55499

From: nickc...@is.invalid (Nick Cine)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:09:10 -0700
 by: Nick Cine - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 06:09 UTC

1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
2. It runs the home during power outages
3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.

I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.

What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?

When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.

I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.

Would it?
Maybe not?

The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?

Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<pt9btit2p0fq5bsnm7vmejppqdji6ojlfg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55500&group=alt.home.repair#55500

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 02:36:07 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:36 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:09:10 -0700, Nick Cine
<nickcine@is.invalid> wrote:

>1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>2. It runs the home during power outages
>3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
>I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>
>What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>
>When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
>outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
>generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
>suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.

I don't know much about this but I thought a slo-blow breaker was used
in situations like this. Why not here?

>I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
>the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>
>Would it?
>Maybe not?
>
>The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
>much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
>30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>
>Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ne1cti100621rsal3av1vp7p3pgbr55okl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55507&group=alt.home.repair#55507

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:27:01 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:27 UTC

wrote:

>1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>2. It runs the home during power outages
>3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
>I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>
>What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>
>When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
>outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
>generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
>suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>
>I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
>the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>
>Would it?
>Maybe not?
>
>The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
>much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
>30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>
>Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

When the generator "bogs down" the voltage drops, but the "power"
drawn by the starting pump remains constant.Same power, lower voltage=
more current - so yes, a larger generator SHOULD eliminate the trip by
holding voltage under load. Not sure how much bigger you would need,
but a 50amp rated genset SHOULD do the job.
Your genset is only a 18 amp output in the real world (at 240 volts)
It is a 4500 watt generator that can hold 5500 watts for a couple of
seconds AT MOST. Generally the "surge rating" is only good for
starting things like tungsten lamps that have an extremely high but
short inrush current.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<js2ctil5aa2u8phrs0ukqmns9kaq0qne6k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55510&group=alt.home.repair#55510

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:43:11 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:43 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:27:01 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:09:10 -0700, Nick Cine <nickcine@is.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>>2. It runs the home during power outages
>>3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>>
>>I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>>microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>>
>>What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>>matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>>
>>When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
>>outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
>>generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
>>suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>>
>>I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
>>the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>>
>>Would it?
>>Maybe not?
>>
>>The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
>>much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
>>30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>>
>>Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?
>
>When the generator "bogs down" the voltage drops, but the "power"
>drawn by the starting pump remains constant.Same power, lower voltage=
>more current - so yes, a larger generator SHOULD eliminate the trip by
>holding voltage under load. Not sure how much bigger you would need,
>but a 50amp rated genset SHOULD do the job.
>Your genset is only a 18 amp output in the real world (at 240 volts)
> It is a 4500 watt generator that can hold 5500 watts for a couple of
>seconds AT MOST. Generally the "surge rating" is only good for
>starting things like tungsten lamps that have an extremely high but
>short inrush current.

There's this one, at a nearby auction, that might do the trick :

https://bowmanauctions.hibid.com/lot/186754470/60kw-single-phase-240v-diesel-generator-on-cart?ref=catalog

John T.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<MPG.403fd9c27f69178e989f29@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55511&group=alt.home.repair#55511

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:59:04 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:59 UTC

In article <ur4427$dec6$1@solani.org>, nickcine@is.invalid says...

> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
> 2. It runs the home during power outages
> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>
> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?

How much current is that pump rated for ?

How much of a load do you have running when the pump is started up ?

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur59ju$38n9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55521&group=alt.home.repair#55521

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:50:05 -0500
 by: Frank - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:50 UTC

On 2/21/2024 9:59 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <ur4427$dec6$1@solani.org>, nickcine@is.invalid says...
>>
>> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>> 2. It runs the home during power outages
>> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>>
>> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>>
>> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>>

> How much current is that pump rated for ?
>
> How much of a load do you have running when the pump is started up ?

I have similar problems and it appears problems can happen with too many
things running or starting at the same time. Did not realize I was
tripping breakers until after power came back and some things not coming
back on.

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/wattageguide.html

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<8bcd067d-3f31-4038-8393-65b99053b11en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55523&group=alt.home.repair#55523

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:13:20 -0800 (PST)
From: hoffman5...@gmail.com (Dean)
 by: Dean - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:13 UTC

On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 12:09:18 AM UTC-6, Nick Cine wrote:
> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
> 2. It runs the home during power outages
> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>
> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>
> When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
> outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
> generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
> suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>
> I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
> the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>
> Would it?
> Maybe not?
>
> The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
> much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
> 30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>
> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

Could you possibly replace the motor with one that is capacitor start? That might help.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur5khf$3b8j1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55528&group=alt.home.repair#55528

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:56:31 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:56 UTC

On 2/20/2024 10:09 PM, Nick Cine wrote:
> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
> 2. It runs the home during power outages
> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>
> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>
> When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
> outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
> generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
> suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>
> I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
> the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>
> Would it?
> Maybe not?
>
> The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
> much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
> 30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>
> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

If it's larger enough.
You could try starting the pump with everything else disconnected.
Why do you need a booster pump? Just deal with low pressure.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<q%sBN.393445$Wp_8.97063@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55529&group=alt.home.repair#55529

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:25:58 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:25 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:
>On 2/20/2024 10:09 PM, Nick Cine wrote:
>> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>> 2. It runs the home during power outages
>> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.

>> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?
>
>If it's larger enough.
>You could try starting the pump with everything else disconnected.
>Why do you need a booster pump? Just deal with low pressure.

Zero pressure isn't much use.

In my case, my well water is pumped into a holding tank
at the same elevation as the house. The pressure pump
provides full pressure to the house. Without electricity,
once the pressure tank that the pump pressurizes equalizes,
there is no water at all.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur5o6u$3btl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55530&group=alt.home.repair#55530

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:59:10 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:59 UTC

On 2/21/2024 12:25 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 2/20/2024 10:09 PM, Nick Cine wrote:
>>> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>>> 2. It runs the home during power outages
>>> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
>>> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?
>>
>> If it's larger enough.
>> You could try starting the pump with everything else disconnected.
>> Why do you need a booster pump? Just deal with low pressure.
>
> Zero pressure isn't much use.
>
> In my case, my well water is pumped into a holding tank
> at the same elevation as the house. The pressure pump
> provides full pressure to the house. Without electricity,
> once the pressure tank that the pump pressurizes equalizes,
> there is no water at all.

That doesn't sound like what I know of as a booster pump. Sounds like a
pump. In any case, trying to start one pump while another is running,
along with other loads boosts the needed surge capacity of a generator.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<nhocti93imcgbu76llpu8dgclrce85d7a5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55531&group=alt.home.repair#55531

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:03:43 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:03 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:56:31 -0800, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2/20/2024 10:09 PM, Nick Cine wrote:
>> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>> 2. It runs the home during power outages
>> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>>
>> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>>
>> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>>
>> When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
>> outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
>> generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
>> suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>>
>> I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
>> the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>>
>> Would it?
>> Maybe not?
>>
>> The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
>> much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
>> 30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>>
>> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?
>
>If it's larger enough.
>You could try starting the pump with everything else disconnected.

That's my routine when I'm running on generator < Honda 5000 >
Leave everything OFF except the well pump ; let my neighbour know
to run his supply of water < he's off my well > ; run a goodly
supply of water for drinking ; run 4 - 5 inches into the bathtub for
toilet flushing ; turn OFF the well pump ; turn everything else ON.
The only problem - and it hasn't happened yet - is if all the
main appliances tried to start at the same time - furnace blower,
fridge, freezer, sump pump, with other small loads on - it might
overload the little Honda ..
No stoves or laundry or A/C but it sure is a nice luxury
to have what that little generator provides during an outage.
John T.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<dQuBN.120943$46Te.74675@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55533&group=alt.home.repair#55533

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:30:33 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:30 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:
>On 2/21/2024 12:25 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:

>>> If it's larger enough.
>>> You could try starting the pump with everything else disconnected.
>>> Why do you need a booster pump? Just deal with low pressure.
>>
>> Zero pressure isn't much use.
>>
>> In my case, my well water is pumped into a holding tank
>> at the same elevation as the house. The pressure pump
>> provides full pressure to the house. Without electricity,
>> once the pressure tank that the pump pressurizes equalizes,
>> there is no water at all.
>>

>That doesn't sound like what I know of as a booster pump.

His is tripping a 30A circuit. It's not a small pump, must
be at least 2HP.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur5uom$3debh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55534&group=alt.home.repair#55534

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:51:02 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:51 UTC

On 2/21/2024 2:30 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Zero pressure isn't much use.
>>>
>>> In my case, my well water is pumped into a holding tank
>>> at the same elevation as the house. The pressure pump
>>> provides full pressure to the house. Without electricity,
>>> once the pressure tank that the pump pressurizes equalizes,
>>> there is no water at all.
>>>

>> That doesn't sound like what I know of as a booster pump.
>
> His is tripping a 30A circuit. It's not a small pump, must
> be at least 2HP.

As I suggested before, The pump and what else?

He never said anything about that.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur5vbg$3debh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55535&group=alt.home.repair#55535

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:01:04 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:01 UTC

On 2/21/2024 2:51 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 2/21/2024 2:30 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That doesn't sound like what I know of as a booster pump.
>>
>> His is tripping a 30A circuit.  It's not a small pump, must
>> be at least 2HP.
>>

> As I suggested before, The pump and what else?
>
> He never said anything about that.

Any pump using 30A must be a 230V pump. That's a big pump.

If it's 115V pump, he should re-wire it for 230V if that is an option.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<af928ce3-1811-44d5-ad08-00fe804b0229n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55536&group=alt.home.repair#55536

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:27:28 -0800 (PST)
From: hoffman5...@gmail.com (Dean)
 by: Dean - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:27 UTC

On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 12:09:18 AM UTC-6, Nick Cine wrote:
> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
> 2. It runs the home during power outages
> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>
> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>
> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>
> When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
> outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
> generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
> suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>
> I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
> the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>
> Would it?
> Maybe not?
>
> The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
> much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
> 30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>
> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

You didn't mention the size of the booster pump motor. There are charts online showing starting and running amperage
requirements for them. Starting current is much higher than running current. Starting current is similar to locked rotor current.
A larger generator would probably help but everyone is guessing without the booster pump motor size. It's at least possible that the breaker is at fault. It's tripping at too low a current draw.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<evadtih955p8ta7mbq9gbs2eol4b76ofvg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55538&group=alt.home.repair#55538

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:22:47 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:22 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:27:28 -0800 (PST), Dean
<hoffman54dean@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 12:09:18?AM UTC-6, Nick Cine wrote:
>> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>> 2. It runs the home during power outages
>> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>>
>> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>>
>> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>>
>> When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
>> outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
>> generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
>> suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>>
>> I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
>> the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>>
>> Would it?
>> Maybe not?
>>
>> The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
>> much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
>> 30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>>
>> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?
>
> You didn't mention the size of the booster pump motor. There are charts online showing starting and running amperage
>requirements for them. Starting current is much higher than running current. Starting current is similar to locked rotor current.
> A larger generator would probably help but everyone is guessing without the booster pump motor size. It's at least possible that the breaker is at fault. It's tripping at too low a current draw.

good point. Replace the breaker with a new one -- they're not
expensive, are they -- or switch it with another breaker that is
supposed to be the same size.

In the apartment building I lived in 10 years, a water pump pumped water
into a tank in the basement, and an air pump pumped air into the top of
that tank. Neither pump was supposed to run all the time. I think the
water pump re-started when the water level in the tank went below a
certain level.

The air pump restarted when the air pressure in the tank went below a
certain setting. I think t he air pump restarted more often than the
water pump. As water was used from the tank, the empty portion of the
tank increased and the air pressure dropped. At a certain point it went
back on. I'm pretty sure the air pump was much smaller than the water
pump because air weighs less than water, and I saw both pumps.

This system provided water from the basement to the 6th floor of our
buiding. (Above 6 floors a different system was necessary, and iiuc
required by NYC building code A tank on the roof I think.)

Any chance the OP could add an airpump to his system. Presumably the
system is already airtight at least under the water, and probably above
the water too. Oh, does he have a tank now?

After a new ignorant owner bought the building, things didn't work as
well, and when a toilet was flushed (since the toilets used
flushometers, not tanks), the cold water pressure on the 5th floor
dropped so much that a shower became too hot to bear, if it had been
okay before hand, or became acceptable if had been too cold before. So I
began to take baths instead.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<YaBBN.268918$yEgf.182204@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55540&group=alt.home.repair#55540

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: nul...@void.com (bud--)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:41:59 -0600
 by: bud-- - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:41 UTC

On 2/21/2024 5:27 PM, Dean wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at 12:09:18 AM UTC-6, Nick Cine wrote:
>> 1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
>> 2. It runs the home during power outages
>> 3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure
>> booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.
>>
>> I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights,
>> microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.
>>
>> What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no
>> matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?
>>
>> When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an
>> outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable
>> generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then.
>> suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.
>>
>> I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of
>> the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.
>>
>> Would it?
>> Maybe not?
>>
>> The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too
>> much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the
>> 30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?
>>
>> Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?
>
> You didn't mention the size of the booster pump motor. There are charts online showing starting and running amperage
> requirements for them. Starting current is much higher than running current. Starting current is similar to locked rotor current.
> A larger generator would probably help but everyone is guessing without the booster pump motor size. It's at least possible that the breaker is at fault. It's tripping at too low a current draw.

The starting current of an ordinary induction motor is about 6x the full
load running current.

Numbers would be nice - pump running current? 120? 240V?

As someone asked - if everything else is off will the pump start?

I thought some generators had starting current ratings.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<MPG.404127494f95712b989f2b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55545&group=alt.home.repair#55545

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:42:11 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:42 UTC

In article <YaBBN.268918$yEgf.182204@fx09.iad>, null@void.com says...

> The starting current of an ordinary induction motor is about 6x the full
> load running current.
>
> Numbers would be nice - pump running current? 120? 240V?
>
> As someone asked - if everything else is off will the pump start?
>
> I thought some generators had starting current ratings.

I do not know about the inverter generators but the ones I have, not
inverter, do have a surge current rating. Many of the generators have
in big letters the surge current and smaller letters the normal maximum
current. Such as a 5000 watt continues generator may state 5800 watts
surge.

The dual and tri fuel generators usually have less output when used on
propane and natural gas instead of gasoline.
The fuel will not produce as much horsepower to turn the generator as
gasoline.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<ur8noc$5bam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55570&group=alt.home.repair#55570

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:09:46 -0500
 by: Frank - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 00:09 UTC

On 2/22/2024 9:42 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <YaBBN.268918$yEgf.182204@fx09.iad>, null@void.com says...
>>
>> The starting current of an ordinary induction motor is about 6x the full
>> load running current.
>>
>> Numbers would be nice - pump running current? 120? 240V?
>>
>> As someone asked - if everything else is off will the pump start?
>>
>> I thought some generators had starting current ratings.
>>

> I do not know about the inverter generators but the ones I have, not
> inverter, do have a surge current rating. Many of the generators have
> in big letters the surge current and smaller letters the normal maximum
> current. Such as a 5000 watt continues generator may state 5800 watts
> surge.
>
> The dual and tri fuel generators usually have less output when used on
> propane and natural gas instead of gasoline.
> The fuel will not produce as much horsepower to turn the generator as
> gasoline.

Last month we were thinking whole house generator after 2 cold days
without power. My portable generator could handle our oil furnace but
not my new heat pump.

We decided against it as we do not have natural gas service and found
whole house generator might use 2-4 gal. propane per hour. My wife did
not want a big tank in the back yard. I read it cost about $90/day to
run. My brother that has one also pays about $250/yr for maintenance
contract. He has had it almost a year and is yet to use it. It comes
on for test once a week and SIL said they even come around to top off
propane.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<MPG.4041da1ceadddca8989f2d@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55575&group=alt.home.repair#55575

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:25:18 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 03:25 UTC

In article <ur8noc$5bam$1@dont-email.me>, "frank "@frank.net says...

> Last month we were thinking whole house generator after 2 cold days
> without power. My portable generator could handle our oil furnace but
> not my new heat pump.
>
> We decided against it as we do not have natural gas service and found
> whole house generator might use 2-4 gal. propane per hour. My wife did
> not want a big tank in the back yard. I read it cost about $90/day to
> run. My brother that has one also pays about $250/yr for maintenance
> contract. He has had it almost a year and is yet to use it. It comes
> on for test once a week and SIL said they even come around to top off
> propane.

I do not know about the cost of natural gas, but for propane or gasoline
much over a 5 kw generator it gets very expensive to run them for very
long.

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<416GN.466965$PuZ9.346954@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55924&group=alt.home.repair#55924

From: hiramtsc...@gmail.com (Hiram T Schwantz)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:22:56 -0500
 by: Hiram T Schwantz - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:22 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:09:46 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

> On 2/22/2024 9:42 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> > In article <YaBBN.268918$yEgf.182204@fx09.iad>, null@void.com says...
> >>
> >> The starting current of an ordinary induction motor is about 6x the full
> >> load running current.
> >>
> >> Numbers would be nice - pump running current? 120? 240V?
> >>
> >> As someone asked - if everything else is off will the pump start?
> >>
> >> I thought some generators had starting current ratings.
> >>

> > I do not know about the inverter generators but the ones I have, not
> > inverter, do have a surge current rating. Many of the generators have
> > in big letters the surge current and smaller letters the normal maximum
> > current. Such as a 5000 watt continues generator may state 5800 watts
> > surge.
> >
> > The dual and tri fuel generators usually have less output when used on
> > propane and natural gas instead of gasoline.
> > The fuel will not produce as much horsepower to turn the generator as
> > gasoline.
> >

> Last month we were thinking whole house generator after 2 cold days
> without power. My portable generator could handle our oil furnace but
> not my new heat pump.
>
> We decided against it as we do not have natural gas service and found
> whole house generator might use 2-4 gal. propane per hour. My wife did
> not want a big tank in the back yard. I read it cost about $90/day to
> run. My brother that has one also pays about $250/yr for maintenance
> contract. He has had it almost a year and is yet to use it. It comes
> on for test once a week and SIL said they even come around to top off
> propane.

Don't you have an extension cord?

--
Hiram

Re: Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

<8LGcnRWflpdO33f4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=55985&group=alt.home.repair#55985

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 22:42:27 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:42 UTC

Hiram T Schwantz wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:09:46 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to
> digest...
>

> > On 2/22/2024 9:42 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> > > In article <YaBBN.268918$yEgf.182204@fx09.iad>, null@void.com
> > > says...

> > the full >> load running current.

> > > I do not know about the inverter generators but the ones I have,
> > > not inverter, do have a surge current rating. Many of the
> > > generators have in big letters the surge current and smaller
> > > letters the normal maximum current. Such as a 5000 watt
> > > continues generator may state 5800 watts surge.
> > >
> > > The dual and tri fuel generators usually have less output when
> > > used on propane and natural gas instead of gasoline.
> > > The fuel will not produce as much horsepower to turn the
> > > generator as gasoline.
> > >

> > Last month we were thinking whole house generator after 2 cold days
> > without power. My portable generator could handle our oil furnace
> > but not my new heat pump.
> >
> > We decided against it as we do not have natural gas service and
> > found whole house generator might use 2-4 gal. propane per hour. My
> > wife did not want a big tank in the back yard. I read it cost about
> > $90/day to run. My brother that has one also pays about $250/yr
> > for maintenance contract. He has had it almost a year and is yet
> > to use it. It comes on for test once a week and SIL said they even
> > come around to top off propane.
>
> Don't you have an extension cord?

Not applicable to a propane unit,