You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayor Needed a Mediator

SubjectAuthor
* Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayorltlee1
`* Re: Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayorltlee1
 `- Re: Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayorltlee1

1
Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayor Needed a Mediator

<b965c4b8-aa9c-4100-adfd-5fa41821c267n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5433&group=soc.culture.china#5433

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 03:09:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayor
Needed a Mediator
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:09 UTC

"CORTEZ, Colo.—It was the middle of Mike Lavey’s first term as mayor when he jotted down a resignation letter and tucked it away in a leather-bound folder. He said he could no longer stomach the divisions that were tearing apart this rural, southwest Colorado town.

Over the past year, Mr. Lavey had watched as this community of 8,700 became racked by tensions over politics, race and Covid-19. The clash in Cortez mirrored similar conflicts across the country, from other small towns to Washington, D.C.

A group named the Montezuma County Patriots led what it called Freedom Rides on Main Street to back law enforcement, former President Donald Trump and an end to pandemic-related restrictions. Meanwhile, a separate, smaller contingent, Walk for Justice and Peace, held signs downtown to protest the murder of George Floyd and to support Black Lives Matter.

Every weekend, trucks festooned with American flags, Trump flags, the occasional Confederate flag and emblems associated with the Three Percenter militia movement rumbled down Main Street past the Justice marchers. Some people in town complained to Mr. Lavey that shoppers and tourists were steering clear of downtown businesses."

Re: Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayor Needed a Mediator

<9cceaf25-cd80-461a-a2cc-1be9b5d8272cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5537&group=soc.culture.china#5537

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:22:21 -0700 (PDT)
Needed a Mediator
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 23:22 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 10:09:28 AM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> "CORTEZ, Colo.—It was the middle of Mike Lavey’s first term as mayor when he jotted down a resignation letter and tucked it away in a leather-bound folder. He said he could no longer stomach the divisions that were tearing apart this rural, southwest Colorado town.
>
> Over the past year, Mr. Lavey had watched as this community of 8,700 became racked by tensions over politics, race and Covid-19. The clash in Cortez mirrored similar conflicts across the country, from other small towns to Washington, D.C.
>
> A group named the Montezuma County Patriots led what it called Freedom Rides on Main Street to back law enforcement, former President Donald Trump and an end to pandemic-related restrictions. Meanwhile, a separate, smaller contingent, Walk for Justice and Peace, held signs downtown to protest the murder of George Floyd and to support Black Lives Matter.
>
> Every weekend, trucks festooned with American flags, Trump flags, the occasional Confederate flag and emblems associated with the Three Percenter militia movement rumbled down Main Street past the Justice marchers. Some people in town complained to Mr. Lavey that shoppers and tourists were steering clear of downtown businesses."

The above is about political divisions among town folks in a small Colorado town. But the writer of the article has pointed out, the "clash in Cortez
mirrored similar conflicts across the country, from other small towns to Washington, D.C. But America's problem is now very serious. Supreme Court
Justices love to proclaim their impartiality. But it is now considered a lie. Simply put all evidence point to the contrary.

"The Lie About the Supreme Court Everyone Pretends to Believe
Justice Amy Coney Barrett is offended by those questioning the impartiality of the Supreme Court.

“This Court is not comprised of a bunch of partisan hacks,” she announced at a recent event at the University of Louisville’s McConnell Center, named for Senator Mitch McConnell. “Judicial philosophies are not the same as political parties.”

For Barrett to insist on her nonpartisanship at a center named for the legislator whose procedural hardball was instrumental in securing her seat suggests that, although Barrett’s peers have praised her legal mind, her sense of irony leaves something to be desired. But then, it’s not much more absurd than her colleague Justice Brett Kavanaugh insisting on his impartiality days after vowing revenge against the left while under oath.. Similarly, Justice Clarence Thomas recently warned against “destroying our institutions because they don’t give us what we want, when we want it,” complaining that “the media makes it sound as though you are just always going right to your personal preference.” Next month, Thomas will give a keynote address at a symposium celebrating his years on the Court at the right-wing Heritage Foundation, alongside McConnell.

This insistence—that justices are simply following the law—is a common rhetorical tool in the partisan conflict over the Court. The most partisan judges will not admit to being hacks, instead framing their actions as consistent with the rule of law. No one wants to admit to being a hack; even hacks have to sleep at night, and resting is much easier if you’ve convinced yourself that you are an infallible tribune guided by the infinite wisdom of the ages."

Democracy begins with "We the people." However, "We the people" could not be found in the US. Rather, it has division high and low.

"

Re: Political Divisions in Cortez, Colorado, Got So Bitter the Mayor Needed a Mediator

<567dd39b-0fee-4557-b799-297dd132fc9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5538&group=soc.culture.china#5538

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china