interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6 answers: sports, science

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceErland Sommarskog
+* Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceDan Blum
|`- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceswp
+- Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, scienceDan Tilque
`- QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6 answers: sports, scienceMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<vUSdnabFEpjGuib4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5517&group=rec.games.trivia#5517

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 05:08:43 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 05:08 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.

** Final, Round 4 - Sports

* A. Lady Byng

A1. The NHL instituted the annual Lady Byng trophy for
sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in 1925; it was
replaced by the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy when she died in
1949. This was actually the second time it was replaced:
when the same man had won it 7 times from 1928 to 1935,
he was given the original trophy to keep. *Either* name
that man, *or else* name the player who has won it the most
times since then -- 5 wins from 1980 to 1999.

A2. One of the players who won the Lady Byng 4 times spent part
of his career with the Leafs, which overlapped with the
time he was in Parliament. Name him.

* B. Canadiana: The Nickname of the Line

As everyone knows, in hockey a set of three forwards who often
play together is called a "line" -- and if they play well enough
together, they may acquire a collective nickname.

B1. In the 1940s the Montreal Canadiens were led by the "Punch
Line". We'd like to ask you to name any two of the three,
but Mel would be annoyed, so just name *any one*.

B2. In the 1970s the Buffalo Sabres were led by the "French
Connection". All three players were French-Canadian.
Again, name *any one* of them.

* C. The Tour de France

C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
the next?

C2. The Tour often starts outside France and traditionally
terminates in Paris. But next year, because of preparations
for the Olympics, the race will end in a different French
city. Tell us *either* the French endpoint or the non-French
starting point for 2024.

* D. Board Games on Grids

In each case, name the relevant game.

D1. The board for this game is logically a square grid, but
all the squares are slightly elongated in one direction,
making them rectangles. There are 15 rows and columns,
making 225 of these rectangular spaces where you can play.

D2. This game is played on the intersections of a square grid
of lines. In the standard game, there are 19 lines each way,
making 361 points where you can play.

* E. Baseball Awards

Well, the season's over, and all the postseason hardware has
been handed out. Here are some questions regarding all-time
award winners.

E1. The Rawlings Gold Glove award is given annually to the
best defensive player in each major league in each position
on the field. The record number of wins by a position
player (as opposed to a pitcher) is 16, all earned in
consecutive years. Name the player.

E2. The Manager of the Year award was instituted in 1983 and
is given annually in each major league. Name *any one*
of the three managers who have each received the award
four times.

After completing this pair, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "Ebovafba" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq cebivqr n svefg anzr.

* F. Curling Terms

F1. When you're taking a shot in curling, or "delivering a
stone" as they say, you brace your foot against a doo-hickey
that sticks out of the ice and is called what?

F2. When you're delivering a stone and intending it to reach
the house and stop there in the position you want, *without*
hitting any other stones, what is that type of shot called?

** Final, Round 6 - Science

* A. Old-Timey Photography

A1. Cameras today are typically digital, recording the image
electronically. Before that, they used film, meaning
a rolled strip of plastic covered with photosensitive
chemicals: substances that change chemically when exposed
to light. With film, you had to turn the roll to the next
section after each photo, either by hand or there would be
a motor. But before *that*, i.e. before there was film,
what technology was used to put those photosensitive
chemicals where they needed to be for each photo?

A2. Today if it's too dark to take a photo normally, you would
use an electronic flash, generally built into the camera.
Before that, you would use a flashbulb, a disposable
bulb containing a length of fast-burning magnesium wire.
But before *that*, i.e. before there were flashbulbs,
what technology would you use to take a flash photo?

* B. Linguistics

B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
and other speech and language professionals as a standard
way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

* C. Cardiology Slang

C1. What is the gloomy nickname for a heart attack that involves
a complete blockage of the left main coronary artery and/or
the left anterior descending artery, so-named because of
its propensity to cause sudden death?

C2. What vegetable-sounding term is sometimes applied to a
coronary bypass procedure?

* D. Watch Those Element Symbols

D1. Pa is not the symbol for palladium. What element is it
the symbol for?

D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
symbol for?

* E. Clever People

Give the field of intellectual inquiry principally associated with the
following clever people.

E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg

Kurt Gödel ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
Paul Erdós ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
acute accent].

E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E2.jpg

Donald Knuth ["kuh-NOOTH", rhymes with "tooth"], Brian
Kernighan ["kern-i-HAN"], Grace Hopper.

* F. Canadiana: Ontario Research Institutes

F1. Which Toronto hospital is the principal host of the Krembil
Research Institute, founded to study neurological disease
but also doing work in areas such as ophthalmology and
orthopedics?

F2. Name the center for the study of theoretical physics in
Waterloo, whose initial funding was largely contributed
by Mike Lazaridis ["LAZ-a-REE-deez"] and other Research in
Motion founders.

--
Mark Brader "Those who do not study history
Toronto are condemned to repeat the course"

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<11bd60e1-7443-485e-9af9-271d309f7c93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5518&group=rec.games.trivia#5518

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:21:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 06:21 UTC

On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 11:08:56 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Sports
>
> * A. Lady Byng
>
> A1. The NHL instituted the annual Lady Byng trophy for
> sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in 1925; it was
> replaced by the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy when she died in
> 1949. This was actually the second time it was replaced:
> when the same man had won it 7 times from 1928 to 1935,
> he was given the original trophy to keep. *Either* name
> that man, *or else* name the player who has won it the most
> times since then -- 5 wins from 1980 to 1999.

Gretzky
> * C. The Tour de France
>
> C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
> around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
> What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
> the next?

whether it runs clockwise or counterclockwise
> * D. Board Games on Grids
>
> In each case, name the relevant game.
>
> D2. This game is played on the intersections of a square grid
> of lines. In the standard game, there are 19 lines each way,
> making 361 points where you can play.

Go

> * E. Baseball Awards
>
> Well, the season's over, and all the postseason hardware has
> been handed out. Here are some questions regarding all-time
> award winners.
>
> E1. The Rawlings Gold Glove award is given annually to the
> best defensive player in each major league in each position
> on the field. The record number of wins by a position
> player (as opposed to a pitcher) is 16, all earned in
> consecutive years. Name the player.

Brooks Robinson

> E2. The Manager of the Year award was instituted in 1983 and
> is given annually in each major league. Name *any one*
> of the three managers who have each received the award
> four times.

Joe Torre

> After completing this pair, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Ebovafba" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq cebivqr n svefg anzr.
>
> ** Final, Round 6 - Science
>
> * B. Linguistics
>
> B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
> and other speech and language professionals as a standard
> way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

International Phonetic Alphabet

> B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
> in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

stop

> * C. Cardiology Slang
>
> C1. What is the gloomy nickname for a heart attack that involves
> a complete blockage of the left main coronary artery and/or
> the left anterior descending artery, so-named because of
> its propensity to cause sudden death?

widowmaker

> * D. Watch Those Element Symbols
>
> D1. Pa is not the symbol for palladium. What element is it
> the symbol for?

protoactinium
> D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
> symbol for?

calcium

> * E. Clever People
>
> Give the field of intellectual inquiry principally associated with the
> following clever people.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg
>
> Kurt Gödel ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
> Paul Erdós ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
> acute accent].

mathematics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E2.jpg
>
> Donald Knuth ["kuh-NOOTH", rhymes with "tooth"], Brian
> Kernighan ["kern-i-HAN"], Grace Hopper.

computer programming

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<XnsB10BD626A18E0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5519&group=rec.games.trivia#5519

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 21:03:06 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:03 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 4 - Sports
>
> * C. The Tour de France
>
> C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
> around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
> What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
> the next?

The highest point
> C2. The Tour often starts outside France and traditionally
> terminates in Paris. But next year, because of preparations
> for the Olympics, the race will end in a different French
> city. Tell us *either* the French endpoint or the non-French
> starting point for 2024.

Lyon
> ** Final, Round 6 - Science
>
> * A. Old-Timey Photography
>
> A1. Cameras today are typically digital, recording the image
> electronically. Before that, they used film, meaning
> a rolled strip of plastic covered with photosensitive
> chemicals: substances that change chemically when exposed
> to light. With film, you had to turn the roll to the next
> section after each photo, either by hand or there would be
> a motor. But before *that*, i.e. before there was film,
> what technology was used to put those photosensitive
> chemicals where they needed to be for each photo?

A silver-coated plate.
> * B. Linguistics
>
> B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
> and other speech and language professionals as a standard
> way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

International Phonological Alphabet
> B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
> in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

Stop
> * D. Watch Those Element Symbols
>
> D1. Pa is not the symbol for palladium. What element is it
> the symbol for?

Protactinium
> D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
> symbol for?

Calcium
> * E. Clever People
>
> Give the field of intellectual inquiry principally associated with the
> following clever people.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg
>
> Kurt Gödel ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
> Paul Erdós ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
> acute accent].

Nuclear physics
> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E2.jpg
>
> Donald Knuth ["kuh-NOOTH", rhymes with "tooth"], Brian
> Kernighan ["kern-i-HAN"], Grace Hopper.

Computer science

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<uph7lk$fuv$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5520&group=rec.games.trivia#5520

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 22:57:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 22:57 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Sports

> * C. The Tour de France

> C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
> around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
> What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
> the next?

which direction it goes

> C2. The Tour often starts outside France and traditionally
> terminates in Paris. But next year, because of preparations
> for the Olympics, the race will end in a different French
> city. Tell us *either* the French endpoint or the non-French
> starting point for 2024.

Lyon

> * D. Board Games on Grids

> In each case, name the relevant game.

> D1. The board for this game is logically a square grid, but
> all the squares are slightly elongated in one direction,
> making them rectangles. There are 15 rows and columns,
> making 225 of these rectangular spaces where you can play.

Stratego; Dai Dai Shogi

> D2. This game is played on the intersections of a square grid
> of lines. In the standard game, there are 19 lines each way,
> making 361 points where you can play.

Go

> ** Final, Round 6 - Science

> * A. Old-Timey Photography

> A1. Cameras today are typically digital, recording the image
> electronically. Before that, they used film, meaning
> a rolled strip of plastic covered with photosensitive
> chemicals: substances that change chemically when exposed
> to light. With film, you had to turn the roll to the next
> section after each photo, either by hand or there would be
> a motor. But before *that*, i.e. before there was film,
> what technology was used to put those photosensitive
> chemicals where they needed to be for each photo?

glass plates were dipped in the chemicals

> * B. Linguistics

> B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
> and other speech and language professionals as a standard
> way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

International Phonetic Alphabet

> B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
> in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

stop

> * D. Watch Those Element Symbols

> D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
> symbol for?

calcium

> * E. Clever People

> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg

> Kurt G?del ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
> Paul Erd?s ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
> acute accent].

mathematics

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E2.jpg

> Donald Knuth ["kuh-NOOTH", rhymes with "tooth"], Brian
> Kernighan ["kern-i-HAN"], Grace Hopper.

computer science

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<41fd5d07-c48f-4fec-8d4c-b97be79302bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5521&group=rec.games.trivia#5521

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:05:34 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 01:05 UTC

On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 12:08:56 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.
>
> ** Final, Round 4 - Sports
>
> * A. Lady Byng
>
> A1. The NHL instituted the annual Lady Byng trophy for
> sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in 1925; it was
> replaced by the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy when she died in
> 1949. This was actually the second time it was replaced:
> when the same man had won it 7 times from 1928 to 1935,
> he was given the original trophy to keep. *Either* name
> that man, *or else* name the player who has won it the most
> times since then -- 5 wins from 1980 to 1999.

wayne gretzky ; bobby bauer

> A2. One of the players who won the Lady Byng 4 times spent part
> of his career with the Leafs, which overlapped with the
> time he was in Parliament. Name him.

red kelly

> * B. Canadiana: The Nickname of the Line
>
> As everyone knows, in hockey a set of three forwards who often
> play together is called a "line" -- and if they play well enough
> together, they may acquire a collective nickname.

the legion of doom comes to mind

> B1. In the 1940s the Montreal Canadiens were led by the "Punch
> Line". We'd like to ask you to name any two of the three,
> but Mel would be annoyed, so just name *any one*.

maurice richard

> B2. In the 1970s the Buffalo Sabres were led by the "French
> Connection". All three players were French-Canadian.
> Again, name *any one* of them.

perrault?

> * C. The Tour de France
>
> C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
> around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
> What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
> the next?

going clockwise or counterclockwise

> C2. The Tour often starts outside France and traditionally
> terminates in Paris. But next year, because of preparations
> for the Olympics, the race will end in a different French
> city. Tell us *either* the French endpoint or the non-French
> starting point for 2024.

start point in florence italy ; end point in nice france (last leg is supposed to be a time trial, I think)

> * D. Board Games on Grids
>
> In each case, name the relevant game.
>
> D1. The board for this game is logically a square grid, but
> all the squares are slightly elongated in one direction,
> making them rectangles. There are 15 rows and columns,
> making 225 of these rectangular spaces where you can play.

scrabble?

> D2. This game is played on the intersections of a square grid
> of lines. In the standard game, there are 19 lines each way,
> making 361 points where you can play.

go

> * E. Baseball Awards
>
> Well, the season's over, and all the postseason hardware has
> been handed out. Here are some questions regarding all-time
> award winners.
>
> E1. The Rawlings Gold Glove award is given annually to the
> best defensive player in each major league in each position
> on the field. The record number of wins by a position
> player (as opposed to a pitcher) is 16, all earned in
> consecutive years. Name the player.

brooks robinson [greg maddux is the pitcher with the most]

> E2. The Manager of the Year award was instituted in 1983 and
> is given annually in each major league. Name *any one*
> of the three managers who have each received the award
> four times.

tony la russa

> After completing this pair, please decode the rot13: If you just
> said "Robinson" for any answer, go back and provide a first name.
>

> * F. Curling Terms
>
> F1. When you're taking a shot in curling, or "delivering a
> stone" as they say, you brace your foot against a doo-hickey
> that sticks out of the ice and is called what?

hack [ironic because we were using curl to hack a sharepoint site at work last week]

> F2. When you're delivering a stone and intending it to reach
> the house and stop there in the position you want, *without*
> hitting any other stones, what is that type of shot called?

direct

> ** Final, Round 6 - Science
>
> * A. Old-Timey Photography
>
> A1. Cameras today are typically digital, recording the image
> electronically. Before that, they used film, meaning
> a rolled strip of plastic covered with photosensitive
> chemicals: substances that change chemically when exposed
> to light. With film, you had to turn the roll to the next
> section after each photo, either by hand or there would be
> a motor. But before *that*, i.e. before there was film,
> what technology was used to put those photosensitive
> chemicals where they needed to be for each photo?

plates were inserted into a slot in the camera

> A2. Today if it's too dark to take a photo normally, you would
> use an electronic flash, generally built into the camera.
> Before that, you would use a flashbulb, a disposable
> bulb containing a length of fast-burning magnesium wire.
> But before *that*, i.e. before there were flashbulbs,
> what technology would you use to take a flash photo?

flash powder

> * B. Linguistics
>
> B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
> and other speech and language professionals as a standard
> way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

international phonetic alphabet

> B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
> in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

plosives

> * C. Cardiology Slang
>
> C1. What is the gloomy nickname for a heart attack that involves
> a complete blockage of the left main coronary artery and/or
> the left anterior descending artery, so-named because of
> its propensity to cause sudden death?

widowmaker

> C2. What vegetable-sounding term is sometimes applied to a
> coronary bypass procedure?

coronary artery bypass graft [cabg, pronounced as cabbage]

> * D. Watch Those Element Symbols
>
> D1. Pa is not the symbol for palladium. What element is it
> the symbol for?

protactinium

> D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
> symbol for?

calcium

> * E. Clever People
>
> Give the field of intellectual inquiry principally associated with the
> following clever people.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg
>
> Kurt Gödel ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
> Paul Erdós ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
> acute accent].

logic

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E2.jpg
>
> Donald Knuth ["kuh-NOOTH", rhymes with "tooth"], Brian
> Kernighan ["kern-i-HAN"], Grace Hopper.

computer science

> * F. Canadiana: Ontario Research Institutes
>
> F1. Which Toronto hospital is the principal host of the Krembil
> Research Institute, founded to study neurological disease
> but also doing work in areas such as ophthalmology and
> orthopedics?

toronto general

> F2. Name the center for the study of theoretical physics in
> Waterloo, whose initial funding was largely contributed
> by Mike Lazaridis ["LAZ-a-REE-deez"] and other Research in
> Motion founders.

perimeter institute

> --
> Mark Brader "Those who do not study history
> Toronto are condemned to repeat the course"
> m...@vex.net (after George Santayana)
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<uphqum$9sq$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5522&group=rec.games.trivia#5522

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 04:27:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 04:27 UTC

Dan Blum <tool@panix.com> wrote:

> > D1. The board for this game is logically a square grid, but
> > all the squares are slightly elongated in one direction,
> > making them rectangles. There are 15 rows and columns,
> > making 225 of these rectangular spaces where you can play.

> Stratego; Dai Dai Shogi

Nuts, I forgot which Shogi version was which: the 15x15 is Dai Shogi
(Dai Dai is 17x17). So if someone says "Dai Shogi" that should count
as correct, although I doubt it is the intended answer.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6: sports, science

<upigs6$2ijne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5523&group=rec.games.trivia#5523

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 02:41:07 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:41 UTC

On 1/31/24 21:08, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Sports
>
> * A. Lady Byng
>
> A1. The NHL instituted the annual Lady Byng trophy for
> sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in 1925; it was
> replaced by the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy when she died in
> 1949. This was actually the second time it was replaced:
> when the same man had won it 7 times from 1928 to 1935,
> he was given the original trophy to keep. *Either* name
> that man, *or else* name the player who has won it the most
> times since then -- 5 wins from 1980 to 1999.
>
> A2. One of the players who won the Lady Byng 4 times spent part
> of his career with the Leafs, which overlapped with the
> time he was in Parliament. Name him.
>

> * B. Canadiana: The Nickname of the Line
>
> As everyone knows, in hockey a set of three forwards who often
> play together is called a "line" -- and if they play well enough
> together, they may acquire a collective nickname.
>
> B1. In the 1940s the Montreal Canadiens were led by the "Punch
> Line". We'd like to ask you to name any two of the three,
> but Mel would be annoyed, so just name *any one*.
>
> B2. In the 1970s the Buffalo Sabres were led by the "French
> Connection". All three players were French-Canadian.
> Again, name *any one* of them.
>

> * C. The Tour de France
>
> C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
> around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
> What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
> the next?

which mountains (Alps or Pyrenees) to tackle first

> C2. The Tour often starts outside France and traditionally
> terminates in Paris. But next year, because of preparations
> for the Olympics, the race will end in a different French
> city. Tell us *either* the French endpoint or the non-French
> starting point for 2024.

Athens, Greece

> * D. Board Games on Grids
>
> In each case, name the relevant game.
>
> D1. The board for this game is logically a square grid, but
> all the squares are slightly elongated in one direction,
> making them rectangles. There are 15 rows and columns,
> making 225 of these rectangular spaces where you can play.

Scrabble

> D2. This game is played on the intersections of a square grid
> of lines. In the standard game, there are 19 lines each way,
> making 361 points where you can play.

Go

> * E. Baseball Awards
>
> Well, the season's over, and all the postseason hardware has
> been handed out. Here are some questions regarding all-time
> award winners.
>
> E1. The Rawlings Gold Glove award is given annually to the
> best defensive player in each major league in each position
> on the field. The record number of wins by a position
> player (as opposed to a pitcher) is 16, all earned in
> consecutive years. Name the player.

Cal Ripkin

> E2. The Manager of the Year award was instituted in 1983 and
> is given annually in each major league. Name *any one*
> of the three managers who have each received the award
> four times.
>
> After completing this pair, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Ebovafba" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq cebivqr n svefg anzr.
>

> * F. Curling Terms
>
> F1. When you're taking a shot in curling, or "delivering a
> stone" as they say, you brace your foot against a doo-hickey
> that sticks out of the ice and is called what?
>
> F2. When you're delivering a stone and intending it to reach
> the house and stop there in the position you want, *without*
> hitting any other stones, what is that type of shot called?
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Science
>
> * A. Old-Timey Photography
>
> A1. Cameras today are typically digital, recording the image
> electronically. Before that, they used film, meaning
> a rolled strip of plastic covered with photosensitive
> chemicals: substances that change chemically when exposed
> to light. With film, you had to turn the roll to the next
> section after each photo, either by hand or there would be
> a motor. But before *that*, i.e. before there was film,
> what technology was used to put those photosensitive
> chemicals where they needed to be for each photo?

glass plate slid in and out

> A2. Today if it's too dark to take a photo normally, you would
> use an electronic flash, generally built into the camera.
> Before that, you would use a flashbulb, a disposable
> bulb containing a length of fast-burning magnesium wire.
> But before *that*, i.e. before there were flashbulbs,
> what technology would you use to take a flash photo?

flash powder

> * B. Linguistics
>
> B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
> and other speech and language professionals as a standard
> way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

International Phonetic Alphabet

> B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
> in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

stop

> * C. Cardiology Slang
>
> C1. What is the gloomy nickname for a heart attack that involves
> a complete blockage of the left main coronary artery and/or
> the left anterior descending artery, so-named because of
> its propensity to cause sudden death?
>
> C2. What vegetable-sounding term is sometimes applied to a
> coronary bypass procedure?
>

> * D. Watch Those Element Symbols
>
> D1. Pa is not the symbol for palladium. What element is it
> the symbol for?
>
> D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
> symbol for?

calcium

> * E. Clever People
>
> Give the field of intellectual inquiry principally associated with the
> following clever people.
>
> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg
>
> Kurt Gödel ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
> Paul Erdós ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
> acute accent].

mathematics

--
Dan Tilque

QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6 answers: sports, science

<xh-cneiJLoZMhyL4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5524&group=rec.games.trivia#5524

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Final, Round 4,6 answers: sports, science
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 05:04:17 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:04 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-11-27,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote 6 of the 12 pairs in this set.

In Round 4, I wrote pairs A, B, D, and F; in Round 6, A and D.
I also selected all the illustrations for Rounds 6-10.

> ** Final, Round 4 - Sports

> * A. Lady Byng

> A1. The NHL instituted the annual Lady Byng trophy for
> sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in 1925; it was
> replaced by the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy when she died in
> 1949. This was actually the second time it was replaced:
> when the same man had won it 7 times from 1928 to 1935,
> he was given the original trophy to keep. *Either* name
> that man, *or else* name the player who has won it the most
> times since then -- 5 wins from 1980 to 1999.

Frank Boucher (New York Rangers), Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers,
L.A. Kings, and likewise the Rangers). 4 for Joshua. 3 for Stephen.

> A2. One of the players who won the Lady Byng 4 times spent part
> of his career with the Leafs, which overlapped with the
> time he was in Parliament. Name him.

Red (Leonard) Kelly. 4 for Stephen.

> * B. Canadiana: The Nickname of the Line

> As everyone knows, in hockey a set of three forwards who often
> play together is called a "line" -- and if they play well enough
> together, they may acquire a collective nickname.

> B1. In the 1940s the Montreal Canadiens were led by the "Punch
> Line". We'd like to ask you to name any two of the three,
> but Mel would be annoyed, so just name *any one*.

Hector "Toe" Blake (left wing), Elmer Lach (center), Maurice "Rocket"
Richard ["ree-SHAR"] (right wing). 4 for Stephen.

> B2. In the 1970s the Buffalo Sabres were led by the "French
> Connection". All three players were French-Canadian.
> Again, name *any one* of them.

Rick Martin (left wing), Gilbert Perreault (center), René Robert
(right wing). [All pronounced as in French.] 4 for Stephen.

> * C. The Tour de France

> C1. The modern Tour de France consists of 21 legs and covers
> around 3,500 km, though the route changes from year to year.
> What aspect of the circuit *alternates* from one year to
> the next?

Whether the route loops clockwise or anticlockwise. 4 for Joshua
and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> C2. The Tour often starts outside France and traditionally
> terminates in Paris. But next year, because of preparations
> for the Olympics, the race will end in a different French
> city. Tell us *either* the French endpoint or the non-French
> starting point for 2024.

Nice, Florence. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> * D. Board Games on Grids

> In each case, name the relevant game.

> D1. The board for this game is logically a square grid, but
> all the squares are slightly elongated in one direction,
> making them rectangles. There are 15 rows and columns,
> making 225 of these rectangular spaces where you can play.

Scrabble. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> D2. This game is played on the intersections of a square grid
> of lines. In the standard game, there are 19 lines each way,
> making 361 points where you can play.

Go. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Baseball Awards

> Well, the season's over, and all the postseason hardware has
> been handed out. Here are some questions regarding all-time
> award winners.

> E1. The Rawlings Gold Glove award is given annually to the
> best defensive player in each major league in each position
> on the field. The record number of wins by a position
> player (as opposed to a pitcher) is 16, all earned in
> consecutive years. Name the player.

Brooks Robinson (third base, Baltimore, 1960-75). 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> E2. The Manager of the Year award was instituted in 1983 and
> is given annually in each major league. Name *any one*
> of the three managers who have each received the award
> four times.

Bobby Cox (1985, 1991, 2004, 2005); Tony La Russa (1983, 1988, 1992,
2002); Buck Showalter (1994, 2004, 2014, 2022). 4 for Stephen.

> * F. Curling Terms

> F1. When you're taking a shot in curling, or "delivering a
> stone" as they say, you brace your foot against a doo-hickey
> that sticks out of the ice and is called what?

Hack. 4 for Stephen.

> F2. When you're delivering a stone and intending it to reach
> the house and stop there in the position you want, *without*
> hitting any other stones, what is that type of shot called?

Draw.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Science

> * A. Old-Timey Photography

> A1. Cameras today are typically digital, recording the image
> electronically. Before that, they used film, meaning
> a rolled strip of plastic covered with photosensitive
> chemicals: substances that change chemically when exposed
> to light. With film, you had to turn the roll to the next
> section after each photo, either by hand or there would be
> a motor. But before *that*, i.e. before there was film,
> what technology was used to put those photosensitive
> chemicals where they needed to be for each photo?

Plates -- a glass plate was coated with the chemicals. 4 for Erland,
Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

You used a new plate for each photo:
http://criticalcommons.org/media/original/thumbnails/user/hblackmore/6c73d6080e8545bc_IBTlvq8.jpg

> A2. Today if it's too dark to take a photo normally, you would
> use an electronic flash, generally built into the camera.
> Before that, you would use a flashbulb, a disposable
> bulb containing a length of fast-burning magnesium wire.
> But before *that*, i.e. before there were flashbulbs,
> what technology would you use to take a flash photo?

Flash powder -- powdered magnesium that you poured onto a tray and
then ignited. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

See:
http://www.photoactive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/flash-powder-2-crop.jpg

> * B. Linguistics

> B1. What is the notation used by linguists, lexicographers,
> and other speech and language professionals as a standard
> way of representing sounds? We need the full name.

International Phonetic Alphabet. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

See: http://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fit:1400/1*pattKkjxx3Ubj-H5zD6TSw.png

> B2. What do linguists call a consonant sound if at some point
> in its articulation the flow of air is completely blocked?

Plosive, stop, or occlusive. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland,
Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Cardiology Slang

> C1. What is the gloomy nickname for a heart attack that involves
> a complete blockage of the left main coronary artery and/or
> the left anterior descending artery, so-named because of
> its propensity to cause sudden death?

Widowmaker. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> C2. What vegetable-sounding term is sometimes applied to a
> coronary bypass procedure?

CABG or "cabbage" (coronary-artery-bypass graft).

> * D. Watch Those Element Symbols

> D1. Pa is not the symbol for palladium. What element is it
> the symbol for?

Protactinium. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> D2. Ca is not the symbol for cadmium. What element is it the
> symbol for?

Calcium. 4 for everyone.

> * E. Clever People

> Give the field of intellectual inquiry principally associated with the
> following clever people.

> E1. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E1.jpg

> Kurt Gödel ["Gerd'll" without the R sound], Andrew Wiles,
> Paul Erdós ["AIR-dosh"; should be written with a double
> acute accent].

Math. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. See: http://www.vex.net/~msb/tmp/gfr6/clev-E2.jpg

> Donald Knuth ["kuh-NOOTH", rhymes with "tooth"], Brian
> Kernighan ["kern-i-HAN"], Grace Hopper.

Computer science. 4 for everyone.

> * F. Canadiana: Ontario Research Institutes

> F1. Which Toronto hospital is the principal host of the Krembil
> Research Institute, founded to study neurological disease
> but also doing work in areas such as ophthalmology and
> orthopedics?

Toronto Western.

> F2. Name the center for the study of theoretical physics in
> Waterloo, whose initial funding was largely contributed
> by Mike Lazaridis ["LAZ-a-REE-deez"] and other Research in
> Motion founders.

Click here to read the complete article