"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

interests / alt.home.repair / O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

SubjectAuthor
* O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
+* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?hubops
|+* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Ed P
||+- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?danny burstein
||`* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
|| +- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Ed P
|| +- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?micky
|| +- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Snag
|| `- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?hubops
|`- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Clare Snyder
+* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?micky
|+* cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?danny burstein
||+* Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?micky
|||`* Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls bedanny burstein
||| +- Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls bemicky
||| +* Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls beEd P
||| `- Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls beHiram T Schwantz
||+* Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Retirednoguilt
|||+- Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?kelown
|||`* Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
||| `- Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Snag
||`* Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
|| +- Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?micky
|| `* Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Snag
||  `* Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?rbowman
||   +- Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile GossipPeeler
||   `- Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Snag
|`- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Cindy Hamilton
+* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Retirednoguilt
|+* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?hubops
||`* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Retirednoguilt
|| `* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?hubops
||  `- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Retirednoguilt
|`* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?kelown
| `- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?Retirednoguilt
`* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
 `* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?kelown
  +- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
  `* Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?AK
   `- Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?micky

Pages:123
O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<952f1ed2-e680-4d1e-8080-15c0c5e4c5c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54792&group=alt.home.repair#54792

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 01:32 UTC

T-Mobile is my phone carrier.

I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.

I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.

All I can do is send text messages.

Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?

I use HughesNet for my internet.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<1krtrid2ol2htdeq981hpvavhcdh0f9qbo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54794&group=alt.home.repair#54794

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 20:57:38 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 01:57 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST), AK <scientist77017@gmail.com>
wrote:

>T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>All I can do is send text messages.
>Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>I use HughesNet for my internet.
>Thanks,
> Andy

Wouldn't HughesNet be the one to ask ?
..... just sayin'
John T.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<qNCvN.198469$yEgf.111635@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54796&group=alt.home.repair#54796

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:39:18 -0500
 by: Ed P - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:39 UTC

On 2/3/2024 8:57 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST), AK <scientist77017@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>> I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>> I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>> All I can do is send text messages.
>> Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>> I use HughesNet for my internet.
>> Thanks,
>> Andy
>>

> Wouldn't HughesNet be the one to ask ?
> .... just sayin'
> John T.

Not that difficult. Get an external antenna and 8 miles of wire to
attach it to in town.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upmtp9$hv2$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54797&group=alt.home.repair#54797

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:46:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:46 UTC

[snip]

Many (not all) phones have "wifi" calling. This needs to
be both an option on your phone *AND* working with
your cellular carrier.

This comes in quite handy when.. as in your case... you
don't have a cellular signal but do have wifi.

You'll have to check both your handset and your cellco.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<drvtri1u1n812irnb51ba0rvue1c0oadvb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54801&group=alt.home.repair#54801

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 22:10:50 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:10 UTC

On Sat, 03 Feb 2024 20:57:38 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST), AK <scientist77017@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>>I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>>I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>>All I can do is send text messages.
>>Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>>I use HughesNet for my internet.
>>Thanks,
>> Andy
>>

> Wouldn't HughesNet be the one to ask ?
>.... just sayin'
> John T.
Do yourself a big one and get either OOMA or MagicJack and connect to
your internet to give yourself an almost free land-line - which you
can take with you and use anywhere in the world with internet access -
taking yout local number with you.

No, I don't work for either one but have used both - currently a
happy OOMA customer.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<pkvtritgttcimgg9k9dr49s63qlt73isr0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54802&group=alt.home.repair#54802

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 22:21:34 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:21 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST), AK
<scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:

>T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>
>I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>
>I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.

Why does it work better in town? There must be a cell tower outside of
town or you could not send text messages. I never heard of a cell phone
carrier allowing texts but not calls.

What plan do you have?

>All I can do is send text messages.
>
>Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>
>I use HughesNet for my internet.
>
>Thanks,
> Andy

I'm not as wise or well-informed ast the people on comp.mobile.android**
or even the people here, but....
Have you tried Skype? Have you tried Whatsapp (which only works if
the other party has it but many, many people do. I think everyone I
know except one person has it. It's free and Skype is $5 to start and
2.3c a minute taken out of the $5, and free to call people with Skype,
although I don't think that is so popular since whatsapp came out. .

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/device-troubleshooting/cant-call-dropped-calls-and-other-calling-issues
Turn on VoLTE, it says, among other things.

https://www.lifewire.com/android-phone-cant-make-or-receive-calls-4586351

https://www.samsung.com/ie/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-when-your-galaxy-device-is-unable-to-make-or-receive-calls/

**You give some details but not if your phone is android or not, and not
what make and model phone you have. All these details matter. So I
didn't list some links that might apply, or might not.

cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upn0gu$fi3$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54803&group=alt.home.repair#54803

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:32:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:32 UTC

In <pkvtritgttcimgg9k9dr49s63qlt73isr0@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

[snip]

>Why does it work better in town? There must be a cell tower outside of
>town or you could not send text messages. I never heard of a cell phone
>carrier allowing texts but not calls.

ahhhhh... I actually have this same problem ... Which took
quite a while to figure out, and which, of course, the cellular
companies say is impossible.

When I'm traveling on I-80 in Pennsylvania, there's roughly
a 100 mile section in which I can NOT make nor receive voice
phone calls. However, I can use texts.

Reason:

If you're in an area where your primary cellular company
doesn't have coverage, you're *usually* supposed to be
able to "roam" onto a competitor. This was very glitchy
in the Bad Old Daize, but now is generally seamless for
voice and text, and will work, with limits and throttling,
for data.

In my case, I'm a customer of t-mobile but they don't
have towers along a big stretch in PA. My phone *should*
switch over to AT&T, but somewhere in the T-Mobile
data fields, or AT&T's, or perhaps on my phone... this
just doesn't happen.

So yes, I can send texts over AT&T and data (up to
the roaming limit, somthing like 50 meg?), but
can NOT use voice.

T-Mobile says this can't be happening, but I can
confirm it does.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<f88uri17gdr14r6hikpuah2a9h3hs6chps@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54808&group=alt.home.repair#54808

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 00:34:23 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:34 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:32:46 -0000 (UTC), danny
burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>In <pkvtritgttcimgg9k9dr49s63qlt73isr0@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>
>[snip]
>
>>Why does it work better in town? There must be a cell tower outside of
>>town or you could not send text messages. I never heard of a cell phone
>>carrier allowing texts but not calls.
>
>ahhhhh... I actually have this same problem ... Which took
>quite a while to figure out, and which, of course, the cellular
>companies say is impossible.
>
>When I'm traveling on I-80 in Pennsylvania, there's roughly
>a 100 mile section in which I can NOT make nor receive voice
>phone calls. However, I can use texts.

Your whole post is very interesting. I can remember when I-80 didn't
exist, and when it partly did but had sections that were 2-lane, back
around 1967 or 8, when I drove from Allentown north and then to chicago
one night, when I knew I wouldn't sleep anyhow. No restaurants or gas
stations either, so not having cell towers sounds about right.

Pennsylvania really is a quite rural state, despite being the keystone
of the colonies.

>Reason:
>
>If you're in an area where your primary cellular company
>doesn't have coverage, you're *usually* supposed to be
>able to "roam" onto a competitor. This was very glitchy
>in the Bad Old Daize, but now is generally seamless for
>voice and text, and will work, with limits and throttling,
>for data.
>
>In my case, I'm a customer of t-mobile but they don't
>have towers along a big stretch in PA. My phone *should*
>switch over to AT&T, but somewhere in the T-Mobile
>data fields, or AT&T's, or perhaps on my phone... this
>just doesn't happen.
>
>So yes, I can send texts over AT&T and data (up to
>the roaming limit, somthing like 50 meg?), but
>can NOT use voice.
>
>T-Mobile says this can't be happening, but I can
>confirm it does.

Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be

<upn870$pia$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54809&group=alt.home.repair#54809

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:44:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:44 UTC

In <f88uri17gdr14r6hikpuah2a9h3hs6chps@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

[snip]

>Your whole post is very interesting. I can remember when I-80 didn't
>exist, and when it partly did but had sections that were 2-lane, back
>around 1967 or 8, when I drove from Allentown north and then to chicago
>one night, when I knew I wouldn't sleep anyhow. No restaurants or gas
>stations either, so not having cell towers sounds about right.

>Pennsylvania really is a quite rural state, despite being the keystone
>of the colonies.

Pennsylvania's DOT even ack's this lack of cellular coverage:

roadsign at: www.dburstein.com/images/limited_cellular_911.jpg

Sign says: "Emergency Cellular 911", and underneath that,
a second sign saying "Limited Coverage".

And this is a major Interstate in 2024

dannyb@panix.com

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<c%JvN.299771$7sbb.15115@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54816&group=alt.home.repair#54816

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 10:51:52 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:51 UTC

On 2024-02-04, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST), AK
><scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>>
>>I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>>
>>I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>
> Why does it work better in town? There must be a cell tower outside of
> town or you could not send text messages. I never heard of a cell phone
> carrier allowing texts but not calls.

Could be signal strength. If you have one "bar" you can often send
a text but not place a call.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be

<03bvritmk24j8cimlhcue1m8u8o02lmc71@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54822&group=alt.home.repair#54822

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 10:26:28 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 15:26 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:44:00 -0000 (UTC), danny
burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>In <f88uri17gdr14r6hikpuah2a9h3hs6chps@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>
>[snip]
>
>>Your whole post is very interesting. I can remember when I-80 didn't
>>exist, and when it partly did but had sections that were 2-lane, back
>>around 1967 or 8, when I drove from Allentown north and then to chicago
>>one night, when I knew I wouldn't sleep anyhow. No restaurants or gas
>>stations either, so not having cell towers sounds about right.
>
>>Pennsylvania really is a quite rural state, despite being the keystone
>>of the colonies.
>
>Pennsylvania's DOT even ack's this lack of cellular coverage:
>
>roadsign at: www.dburstein.com/images/limited_cellular_911.jpg
>
>Sign says: "Emergency Cellular 911", and underneath that,
> a second sign saying "Limited Coverage".

So, we've been warned.

>And this is a major Interstate in 2024

Yes, it is. The best way from NY to Chicago and points west.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upofvg$3o20r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54826&group=alt.home.repair#54826

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:02:38 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:02 UTC

On 2/3/2024 8:32 PM, AK wrote:
> T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>
> I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>
> I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>
> All I can do is send text messages.
>
> Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>
> I use HughesNet for my internet.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

If you have (or open) a Google account, you can get Google Voice for
free and make unlimited domestic voice calls via the internet on any
device that supports a web browser and a keyboard (either virtual as on
a tablet or mobile phone, or hardware if using a traditional laptop or
desktop PC. The phone number is assigned by Google although you can
permanently (I believe) port another number to be used as your Google
Voice number. For years, when I had a plain old copper line analog
phone connection, I subscribed to a land line account that only provided
free "wide local area" calling, because I only made about 10 toll
calls/year and the per minute charges added up to far less than I would
have paid for an unlimited all-domestic account. I made all my toll
calls for free from my PC using Google Voice.

Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upogjh$3o20r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54827&group=alt.home.repair#54827

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the
internet?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:13:21 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:13 UTC

On 2/3/2024 10:32 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> My phone *should*
> switch over to AT&T, but somewhere in the T-Mobile
> data fields, or AT&T's, or perhaps on my phone... this
> just doesn't happen.

I'm also a T-Mobile customer, using an android phone. At least with my
phone, I can go into the settings and select between allowing roaming
and not allowing roaming. Make sure you're phone is set to allow
roaming. At least with T-Mobile, and for sure in the U.S., T-Mobile
claims that there's no charge for roaming so there's no advantage to
block roaming. I'm not sure if that no-roaming policy pertains when out
of the country and only carriers that don't operate in the U.S. are
available. So far, I've only used my cell phone in a major metropolitan
east coast area with strong T-Mobile coverage so I haven't noticed any
roaming to date.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<9uivripuuagqbeqir331bgcqicmo2qp47r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54829&group=alt.home.repair#54829

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 12:41:26 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:41 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:02:38 -0500, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 2/3/2024 8:32 PM, AK wrote:
>> T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>>
>> I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>>
>> I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>>
>> All I can do is send text messages.
>>
>> Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>>
>> I use HughesNet for my internet.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andy
>
>If you have (or open) a Google account, you can get Google Voice for
>free and make unlimited domestic voice calls via the internet on any
>device that supports a web browser and a keyboard (either virtual as on
>a tablet or mobile phone, or hardware if using a traditional laptop or
>desktop PC. The phone number is assigned by Google although you can
>permanently (I believe) port another number to be used as your Google
>Voice number. For years, when I had a plain old copper line analog
>phone connection, I subscribed to a land line account that only provided
>free "wide local area" calling, because I only made about 10 toll
>calls/year and the per minute charges added up to far less than I would
>have paid for an unlimited all-domestic account. I made all my toll
>calls for free from my PC using Google Voice.

This had me running to check it out ... :-(

" Google Voice isn't available Sorry, Google Voice
isn't supported in your country yet "

John T.

Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be

<ZjQvN.86992$TSTa.45214@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54830&group=alt.home.repair#54830

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:03:37 -0500
 by: Ed P - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:03 UTC

On 2/4/2024 12:44 AM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <f88uri17gdr14r6hikpuah2a9h3hs6chps@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Your whole post is very interesting. I can remember when I-80 didn't
>> exist, and when it partly did but had sections that were 2-lane, back
>> around 1967 or 8, when I drove from Allentown north and then to chicago
>> one night, when I knew I wouldn't sleep anyhow. No restaurants or gas
>> stations either, so not having cell towers sounds about right.
>
>> Pennsylvania really is a quite rural state, despite being the keystone
>> of the colonies.
>
> Pennsylvania's DOT even ack's this lack of cellular coverage:
>
> roadsign at: www.dburstein.com/images/limited_cellular_911.jpg
>
> Sign says: "Emergency Cellular 911", and underneath that,
> a second sign saying "Limited Coverage".
>
> And this is a major Interstate in 2024

Take a look at the cell coverage maps. Still plenty of open spots.

They can fill them in faster by charging you more every month to pay for
the towers to be erected and maintained. Are you willing?

https://www.fcc.gov/BroadbandData/MobileMaps/mobile-map

When my daughter moved, she changed from Verizon to ATT. Why? Verizon
wanted to put in a tower but the people in the area objected so now they
get no signal.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upom2q$3p3td$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54833&group=alt.home.repair#54833

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:46:49 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:46 UTC

On 2/4/2024 12:41 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:02:38 -0500, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/3/2024 8:32 PM, AK wrote:
>>> T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
>>>
>>> I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
>>>
>>> I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
>>>
>>> All I can do is send text messages.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
>>>
>>> I use HughesNet for my internet.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy
>>
>> If you have (or open) a Google account, you can get Google Voice for
>> free and make unlimited domestic voice calls via the internet on any
>> device that supports a web browser and a keyboard (either virtual as on
>> a tablet or mobile phone, or hardware if using a traditional laptop or
>> desktop PC. The phone number is assigned by Google although you can
>> permanently (I believe) port another number to be used as your Google
>> Voice number. For years, when I had a plain old copper line analog
>> phone connection, I subscribed to a land line account that only provided
>> free "wide local area" calling, because I only made about 10 toll
>> calls/year and the per minute charges added up to far less than I would
>> have paid for an unlimited all-domestic account. I made all my toll
>> calls for free from my PC using Google Voice.
>>

> This had me running to check it out ... :-(
>
> " Google Voice isn't available Sorry, Google Voice
> isn't supported in your country yet "
>
> John T.

And your country is??

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<ivmvrih62bbd4c42vii04q7ulh9m2r0d1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54834&group=alt.home.repair#54834

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:48:41 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:48 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:46:49 -0500, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 2/4/2024 12:41 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:02:38 -0500, Retirednoguilt
>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>>> If you have (or open) a Google account, you can get Google Voice for
>>> free and make unlimited domestic voice calls via the internet on any
>>> device that supports a web browser and a keyboard (either virtual as on
>>> a tablet or mobile phone, or hardware if using a traditional laptop or
>>> desktop PC. The phone number is assigned by Google although you can
>>> permanently (I believe) port another number to be used as your Google
>>> Voice number. For years, when I had a plain old copper line analog
>>> phone connection, I subscribed to a land line account that only provided
>>> free "wide local area" calling, because I only made about 10 toll
>>> calls/year and the per minute charges added up to far less than I would
>>> have paid for an unlimited all-domestic account. I made all my toll
>>> calls for free from my PC using Google Voice.
>>>

>> This had me running to check it out ... :-(
>>
>> " Google Voice isn't available Sorry, Google Voice
>> isn't supported in your country yet "
>>
>> John T.
>
>And your country is??

Canada.
John T.

Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be

<pcnvri51tp478kofg7vh5mllppj9s1r6nl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54835&group=alt.home.repair#54835

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:55:52 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:55 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:03:37 -0500, Ed P
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 2/4/2024 12:44 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>> In <f88uri17gdr14r6hikpuah2a9h3hs6chps@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Your whole post is very interesting. I can remember when I-80 didn't
>>> exist, and when it partly did but had sections that were 2-lane, back
>>> around 1967 or 8, when I drove from Allentown north and then to chicago
>>> one night, when I knew I wouldn't sleep anyhow. No restaurants or gas
>>> stations either, so not having cell towers sounds about right.
>>
>>> Pennsylvania really is a quite rural state, despite being the keystone
>>> of the colonies.
>>
>> Pennsylvania's DOT even ack's this lack of cellular coverage:
>>
>> roadsign at: www.dburstein.com/images/limited_cellular_911.jpg
>>
>> Sign says: "Emergency Cellular 911", and underneath that,
>> a second sign saying "Limited Coverage".
>>
>> And this is a major Interstate in 2024
>>

>Take a look at the cell coverage maps. Still plenty of open spots.
>
>They can fill them in faster by charging you more every month to pay for
>the towers to be erected and maintained. Are you willing?
>
>https://www.fcc.gov/BroadbandData/MobileMaps/mobile-map
>

>When my daughter moved, she changed from Verizon to ATT. Why? Verizon
>wanted to put in a tower but the people in the area objected so now they
>get no signal.

We don't need no stinkin' towers. Made my cousin sterile.

Re: Pennsylvania, was: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be

<LcTvN.67563$SyNd.22563@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54841&group=alt.home.repair#54841

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:20:41 -0500
 by: Ed P - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:20 UTC

On 2/4/2024 1:55 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:03:37 -0500, Ed P
> <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> On 2/4/2024 12:44 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>>> In <f88uri17gdr14r6hikpuah2a9h3hs6chps@4ax.com> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Pennsylvania's DOT even ack's this lack of cellular coverage:
>>>
>>> roadsign at: www.dburstein.com/images/limited_cellular_911.jpg
>>>
>>> Sign says: "Emergency Cellular 911", and underneath that,
>>> a second sign saying "Limited Coverage".
>>>
>>> And this is a major Interstate in 2024
>>>

>> Take a look at the cell coverage maps. Still plenty of open spots.
>>
>> They can fill them in faster by charging you more every month to pay for
>> the towers to be erected and maintained. Are you willing?
>>
>> https://www.fcc.gov/BroadbandData/MobileMaps/mobile-map
>>

>> When my daughter moved, she changed from Verizon to ATT. Why? Verizon
>> wanted to put in a tower but the people in the area objected so now they
>> get no signal.
>
> We don't need no stinkin' towers. Made my cousin sterile.

I thought that was a benefit.

Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upph10$3vkk8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54848&group=alt.home.repair#54848

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
internet?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:26:38 -0600
 by: kelown - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:26 UTC

> Make sure you're phone is set to allow
> roaming. At least with T-Mobile, and for sure in the U.S., T-Mobile
> claims that there's no charge for roaming so there's no advantage to
> block roaming.

Not all of T-Mobile's MVNO affiliates allow roaming, free or not. Tello
doesn't support roaming at all.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upphcb$3vnq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54849&group=alt.home.repair#54849

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:32:41 -0600
 by: kelown - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:32 UTC

> If you have (or open) a Google account, you can get Google Voice for
> free and make unlimited domestic voice calls via the internet on any
> device that supports a web browser and a keyboard (either virtual as on
> a tablet or mobile phone, or hardware if using a traditional laptop or
> desktop PC. The phone number is assigned by Google although you can
> permanently (I believe) port another number to be used as your Google
> Voice number.

Google Voice requires your GV number to be linked to an actual cellphone
provider number, and will require an authentication call to that number
during the account setup.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<upriab$f26g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54859&group=alt.home.repair#54859

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:00:58 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:00 UTC

On 2/4/2024 1:48 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:46:49 -0500, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/4/2024 12:41 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>> This had me running to check it out ... :-(
>>>
>>> " Google Voice isn't available Sorry, Google Voice
>>> isn't supported in your country yet "
>>>
>>> John T.
>>
>> And your country is??
>
> Canada.

I'd move there permanently in a heartbeat but they'd never give me a
permanent visa much less offer citizenship. At my advanced age I'd
contribute nothing to the workforce and be considered an economic
liability with respect to your social programs despite my economic
self-sufficiency.
> John T.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<uprihd$f26g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54860&group=alt.home.repair#54860

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:04:44 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:04 UTC

On 2/4/2024 9:32 PM, kelown wrote:

>> If you have (or open) a Google account, you can get Google Voice for
>> free and make unlimited domestic voice calls via the internet on any
>> device that supports a web browser and a keyboard (either virtual as on
>> a tablet or mobile phone, or hardware if using a traditional laptop or
>> desktop PC. The phone number is assigned by Google although you can
>> permanently (I believe) port another number to be used as your Google
>> Voice number.
>
> Google Voice requires your GV number to be linked to an actual cellphone
> provider number, and will require an authentication call to that number
> during the account setup.

Maybe now for new users. When I signed up, none of that was required.
It was as easy as just logging in with my google user name and password.
In fact, when I signed up, I didn't even have a cell phone. My GV
isn't linked to anything except me overall google account login info.

Re: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<41dde9b4-6de4-446f-acaa-c816f42bdc41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54863&group=alt.home.repair#54863

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:05:06 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:05 UTC

On Saturday, February 3, 2024 at 8:39:26 PM UTC-6, Ed P wrote:
> On 2/3/2024 8:57 PM, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:32:45 -0800 (PST), AK <scienti...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> T-Mobile is my phone carrier.
> >> I am still under contract till the phone is paid off and my phone is unlocked.
> >> I can not make any voice calls unless I drive 8 miles into town.
> >> All I can do is send text messages.
> >> Is there a way to make voice calls another way ?
> >> I use HughesNet for my internet.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Andy
> >>

> > Wouldn't HughesNet be the one to ask ?
> > .... just sayin'
> > John T.
> Not that difficult. Get an external antenna and 8 miles of wire to
> attach it to in town.

You are mentally challenged.

Re: cell texting, was: O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

<881c6619-2400-487d-88b7-9809e52652a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=54864&group=alt.home.repair#54864

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:11:34 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:11 UTC

On Saturday, February 3, 2024 at 9:32:52 PM UTC-6, danny burstein wrote:
> In <pkvtritgttcimgg9k...@4ax.com> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
> >Why does it work better in town? There must be a cell tower outside of
> >town or you could not send text messages. I never heard of a cell phone
> >carrier allowing texts but not calls.
> ahhhhh... I actually have this same problem ... Which took
> quite a while to figure out, and which, of course, the cellular
> companies say is impossible.
>
> When I'm traveling on I-80 in Pennsylvania, there's roughly
> a 100 mile section in which I can NOT make nor receive voice
> phone calls. However, I can use texts.
>
> Reason:
>
> If you're in an area where your primary cellular company
> doesn't have coverage, you're *usually* supposed to be
> able to "roam" onto a competitor. This was very glitchy
> in the Bad Old Daize, but now is generally seamless for
> voice and text, and will work, with limits and throttling,
> for data.
>
> In my case, I'm a customer of t-mobile but they don't
> have towers along a big stretch in PA. My phone *should*
> switch over to AT&T, but somewhere in the T-Mobile
> data fields, or AT&T's, or perhaps on my phone... this
> just doesn't happen.
>
> So yes, I can send texts over AT&T and data (up to
> the roaming limit, somthing like 50 meg?), but
> can NOT use voice.
>
> T-Mobile says this can't be happening, but I can
> confirm it does.
> --
> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
> dan...@panix.com
> [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Thanks for your input. It is a little comforting to know I am not the only one with that problem.

I went to a T-mobile store 26 miles from my home for answers.

They did a "network reset" and assured me that my problem was fixed.

It was not.