Cheese -- milk's leap toward immortality. -- Clifton Fadiman, "Any Number Can Play"

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

SubjectAuthor
* OT. Work From Home PromotionsDean
`* OT. Work From Home PromotionsRalph Mowery
 +- OT. Work From Home Promotionshubops
 `* OT. Work From Home PromotionsEd P
  +- OT. Work From Home PromotionsRetirednoguilt
  `* OT. Work From Home PromotionsRobin Ware
   `- Re: OT. Work From Home PromotionsRetirednoguilt

1
OT. Work From Home Promotions

<4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53803&group=alt.home.repair#53803

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 05:52:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: OT. Work From Home Promotions
From: hoffman5...@gmail.com (Dean)
 by: Dean - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 13:52 UTC

I heard this on an overnight radio show. People who work from home are less likely to get promotions than ones who show up at an office. A home office might not be the best investment.
<https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210305-why-in-person-workers-may-be-more-likely-to-get-promoted>

Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

<MPG.40087e988286bab1989ee0@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53804&group=alt.home.repair#53804

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:15:28 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:15 UTC

In article <4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>,
hoffman54dean@gmail.com says...

> I heard this on an overnight radio show. People who work from home are less likely to get promotions than ones who show up at an office. A home office might not be the best investment.
> <https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210305-why-in-person-workers-may-be-more-likely-to-get-promoted>

Many promotions are based on who you know, or better like 'Face Man' of
the A-team said "it is not only who you know but how you know them".

Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

<jrdtpi9dki8bk62lo5t1b7c59vcfc7756j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53805&group=alt.home.repair#53805

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:30:56 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:30 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:15:28 -0500, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>,
>hoffman54dean@gmail.com says...
>>
>> I heard this on an overnight radio show. People who work from home are less likely to get promotions than ones who show up at an office. A home office might not be the best investment.
>> <https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210305-why-in-person-workers-may-be-more-likely-to-get-promoted>
>>

>Many promotions are based on who you know, or better like 'Face Man' of
>the A-team said "it is not only who you know but how you know them".

" It's not who you know, but who you blow. "

John T.

Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

<6XznN.36998$Iswd.9015@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53806&group=alt.home.repair#53806

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:52:19 -0500
 by: Ed P - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:52 UTC

On 1/10/2024 10:15 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>,
> hoffman54dean@gmail.com says...
>>
>> I heard this on an overnight radio show. People who work from home are less likely to get promotions than ones who show up at an office. A home office might not be the best investment.
>> <https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210305-why-in-person-workers-may-be-more-likely-to-get-promoted>
>>

> Many promotions are based on who you know, or better like 'Face Man' of
> the A-team said "it is not only who you know but how you know them".

Yes, an many managers have no idea who the good workers are. Example,
at the Widget factory, workers are expected to make 100 widgets a day.

Joe is at his work station all day, never takes extra time away for
breaks. End of the day, he makes 97 to 100 widgets consistently.

Tom always takes a longer break, goes to the restroom often, drags out
his lunch. End of day, he always has 115 to 120 widgets.

According to the manager, Joe is great, Tom is a screw off.

Years ago, I was a supervisor and both Joe and Tom worked for me. My
boss thought Joe was great.

Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

<unmql7$2jrvj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53807&group=alt.home.repair#53807

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:20:06 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:20 UTC

On 1/10/2024 11:52 AM, Ed P wrote:
> On 1/10/2024 10:15 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>> In article <4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>,
>> hoffman54dean@gmail.com says...
>>>
>>> I heard this on an overnight radio show. People who work from home are less likely to get promotions than ones who show up at an office. A home office might not be the best investment.
>>> <https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210305-why-in-person-workers-may-be-more-likely-to-get-promoted>
>>>

>> Many promotions are based on who you know, or better like 'Face Man' of
>> the A-team said "it is not only who you know but how you know them".
>
> Yes, an many managers have no idea who the good workers are. Example,
> at the Widget factory, workers are expected to make 100 widgets a day.
>
> Joe is at his work station all day, never takes extra time away for
> breaks. End of the day, he makes 97 to 100 widgets consistently.
>
> Tom always takes a longer break, goes to the restroom often, drags out
> his lunch. End of day, he always has 115 to 120 widgets.
>
> According to the manager, Joe is great, Tom is a screw off.
>
> Years ago, I was a supervisor and both Joe and Tom worked for me. My
> boss thought Joe was great.

Most of us probably have observed that the least deserving person (by
merit) gets the promotion or other significant recognition because of
extraneous factors. Just another way to implement the Peter Principle.

Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

<Q_CnN.108331$yEgf.49499@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53809&group=alt.home.repair#53809

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: rob...@the.big.guy (Robin Ware)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:21:04 -0500
 by: Robin Ware - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:21 UTC

Ed P wrote:
> On 1/10/2024 10:15 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>> In article <4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>,
>> hoffman54dean@gmail.com says...
>>>
>>>       I heard this on an overnight radio show.  People who work from home are less likely to get promotions than ones who show up at an office.  A home office might not be the best investment.
>>> <https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210305-why-in-person-workers-may-be-more-likely-to-get-promoted>
>>>

>> Many promotions are based on who you know, or better like 'Face Man' of
>> the A-team said "it is not only who you know but how you know them".
>
> Yes, an many managers have no idea who the good workers are. Example, at the Widget factory, workers are expected to make 100 widgets a day.
>
> Joe is at his work station all day, never takes extra time away for breaks.  End of the day, he makes 97 to 100 widgets consistently.
>
> Tom always takes a longer break, goes to the restroom often, drags out his lunch.  End of day, he always has 115 to 120 widgets.
>
> According to the manager, Joe is great, Tom is a screw off.
>
> Years ago, I was a supervisor and both Joe and Tom worked for me. My boss thought Joe was great.

He who keep nose to grindstone get flat face.
-Confucius

Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions

<unosq9$30tq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53822&group=alt.home.repair#53822

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 09:09:13 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:09 UTC

On 1/10/2024 3:21 PM, Robin Ware wrote:
> Ed P wrote:
>> On 1/10/2024 10:15 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>>> In article <4d5d2961-94a3-4fc5-a1d7-8a802fc59f48n@googlegroups.com>,
>>> hoffman54dean@gmail.com says...

>>> Many promotions are based on who you know, or better like 'Face Man' of
>>> the A-team said "it is not only who you know but how you know them".
>>
>> Yes, an many managers have no idea who the good workers are. Example, at the Widget factory, workers are expected to make 100 widgets a day.
>>
>> Joe is at his work station all day, never takes extra time away for breaks.  End of the day, he makes 97 to 100 widgets consistently.
>>
>> Tom always takes a longer break, goes to the restroom often, drags out his lunch.  End of day, he always has 115 to 120 widgets.
>>
>> According to the manager, Joe is great, Tom is a screw off.
>>
>> Years ago, I was a supervisor and both Joe and Tom worked for me. My boss thought Joe was great.
>
> He who keep nose to grindstone get flat face.
> -Confucius

And, to paraphrase an old Hungarian saying, he who speaks up in
disagreement usually gets his head bashed in.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT. Work From Home Promotions