"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy." -- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final answers

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-FinalMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-FinalDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-FinalErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-FinalDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-FinalJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Finalswp
`- QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final answersMark Brader

1
QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final

<xTydnZoz8JWgC_j4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5342&group=rec.games.trivia#5342

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:26:53 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:26 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events

1. With a win by Leylah Fernandez over an Italian opponent, Canada
took the championship for the first time at a tournament named
after *which tennis great*?

2. *Which British politician* was plucked from well-deserved
oblivion last week, raised to the House of Lords, and then
appointed Foreign Secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?

3. Who is the 22-year-old man who was convicted last week of murder
and attempted murder for his truck attack on a Muslim family
in London, Ontario, in June of 2021?

4. The College of Family Physicians of Canada decided last week
to retreat from *what controversial proposal* that had been
mooted recently?

5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

6. Who is the beloved Quebec folk rock singer who died last week
of cancer at age 47?

7. *Which Gaza hospital*, alleged to contain a command post for
Hamas, was seized by Israeli soldiers last week?

8. *Which technology company* that has been much in the news for the
past year or so just ousted its co-founder from the CEO position,
claiming that he had been "not consistently candid" with the
board of directors?

9. *Name the SpaceX spacecraft* that exploded on Saturday in what
was euphemistically called a "rapid unscheduled disassembly".

10. In *which city* did Taylor Swift cancel a performance of
her Eras tour, citing high temperatures, after a fan died after
attending the previous night's show?

** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events

Rounds in this season's Final were 12 questions long, consisting
of 6 pairs.

* A. Sports Championships

A1. Which country won the Cricket World Cup last week with a
6-wicket victory over India, playing on the latter's
home turf?

A2. In the Grey Cup game, the Montreal Alouettes staged a
comeback in the last few minutes and seconds to defeat the
Winnipeg Blue Bombers. What was the final score?

* B. Populist Pols

B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

B2. Name the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU populist
leader whose party took the most seats in the Dutch election
last week -- possibly setting the stage for him to become
prime minister in a coalition government.

* C. Musical Lawsuits

C1. Which long-time musical duo is currently riven by a lawsuit
filed last week by one member against the other, in a
dispute over the sale of a joint venture?

C2. After recently settling one abuse lawsuit filed by an
ex-partner, *which music figure* was slapped with two more
last week? This time one suit alleges that he sexually
assaulted a university student in 1991.

* D. Mayhem

D1. At *which Niagara River border bridge* did a vehicle
crash into a checkpoint last week, exploding and killing
the two occupants?

D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.

* E. Canadiana: It's the Economy, Stupid

E1. What did Statistics Canada report last week as the inflation
rate for October, within one-tenth of a percentage point
in either direction?

E2. In the federal government's fall economic statement last
Thursday, it promised to remove sales taxes on what type
of health care?

* F. Enter at Your Own Risk

F1. In a plan that had been discussed for a while, it was
decided last week that at certain times and dates next
year there will be a charge (the equivalent of about $8
Canadian), and a requirement for advance reservations,
for admission to what?

F2. Which country last week closed all but one of its land
border crossings with Russia, alleging that the latter had
been facilitating an influx of migrants?

--
Mark Brader | "Ooh, righteous indignation -- a bold choice!
Toronto | I myself would start with dismay and *work my way up*

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final

<uk4efv$7ute$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5343&group=rec.games.trivia#5343

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 02:13:15 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:13 UTC

On 11/27/23 23:26, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. With a win by Leylah Fernandez over an Italian opponent, Canada
> took the championship for the first time at a tournament named
> after *which tennis great*?
>
> 2. *Which British politician* was plucked from well-deserved
> oblivion last week, raised to the House of Lords, and then
> appointed Foreign Secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?

Cameron

> 3. Who is the 22-year-old man who was convicted last week of murder
> and attempted murder for his truck attack on a Muslim family
> in London, Ontario, in June of 2021?
>
> 4. The College of Family Physicians of Canada decided last week
> to retreat from *what controversial proposal* that had been
> mooted recently?
>
> 5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
> re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
> deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

Spain

> 6. Who is the beloved Quebec folk rock singer who died last week
> of cancer at age 47?
>
> 7. *Which Gaza hospital*, alleged to contain a command post for
> Hamas, was seized by Israeli soldiers last week?
>
> 8. *Which technology company* that has been much in the news for the
> past year or so just ousted its co-founder from the CEO position,
> claiming that he had been "not consistently candid" with the
> board of directors?

OpenAI

> 9. *Name the SpaceX spacecraft* that exploded on Saturday in what
> was euphemistically called a "rapid unscheduled disassembly".

Starship

> 10. In *which city* did Taylor Swift cancel a performance of
> her Eras tour, citing high temperatures, after a fan died after
> attending the previous night's show?
>

> ** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Rounds in this season's Final were 12 questions long, consisting
> of 6 pairs.
>

> * A. Sports Championships
>
> A1. Which country won the Cricket World Cup last week with a
> 6-wicket victory over India, playing on the latter's
> home turf?
>
> A2. In the Grey Cup game, the Montreal Alouettes staged a
> comeback in the last few minutes and seconds to defeat the
> Winnipeg Blue Bombers. What was the final score?
>

> * B. Populist Pols
>
> B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
> Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
> also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
> with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

Argentina

> B2. Name the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU populist
> leader whose party took the most seats in the Dutch election
> last week -- possibly setting the stage for him to become
> prime minister in a coalition government.
>

> * C. Musical Lawsuits
>
> C1. Which long-time musical duo is currently riven by a lawsuit
> filed last week by one member against the other, in a
> dispute over the sale of a joint venture?

Hall and Oates

> C2. After recently settling one abuse lawsuit filed by an
> ex-partner, *which music figure* was slapped with two more
> last week? This time one suit alleges that he sexually
> assaulted a university student in 1991.
>

> * D. Mayhem
>
> D1. At *which Niagara River border bridge* did a vehicle
> crash into a checkpoint last week, exploding and killing
> the two occupants?

Rainbow Bridge

> D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
> a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.
>

> * E. Canadiana: It's the Economy, Stupid
>
> E1. What did Statistics Canada report last week as the inflation
> rate for October, within one-tenth of a percentage point
> in either direction?

3.1%; 3.4%

> E2. In the federal government's fall economic statement last
> Thursday, it promised to remove sales taxes on what type
> of health care?
>

> * F. Enter at Your Own Risk
>
> F1. In a plan that had been discussed for a while, it was
> decided last week that at certain times and dates next
> year there will be a charge (the equivalent of about $8
> Canadian), and a requirement for advance reservations,
> for admission to what?
>
> F2. Which country last week closed all but one of its land
> border crossings with Russia, alleging that the latter had
> been facilitating an influx of migrants?

Finland

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final

<XnsB0CAD00FDDB62Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5346&group=rec.games.trivia#5346

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:27:11 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. With a win by Leylah Fernandez over an Italian opponent, Canada
> took the championship for the first time at a tournament named
> after *which tennis great*?

Billie Jean King
> 2. *Which British politician* was plucked from well-deserved
> oblivion last week, raised to the House of Lords, and then
> appointed Foreign Secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?

David Cameron
> 5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
> re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
> deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

Spain
> 8. *Which technology company* that has been much in the news for the
> past year or so just ousted its co-founder from the CEO position,
> claiming that he had been "not consistently candid" with the
> board of directors?

Open AI
> 10. In *which city* did Taylor Swift cancel a performance of
> her Eras tour, citing high temperatures, after a fan died after
> attending the previous night's show?

Rio de Janeiro
> ** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> * A. Sports Championships
>
> A1. Which country won the Cricket World Cup last week with a
> 6-wicket victory over India, playing on the latter's
> home turf?

Australia
> B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
> Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
> also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
> with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

Argentina
> B2. Name the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU populist
> leader whose party took the most seats in the Dutch election
> last week -- possibly setting the stage for him to become
> prime minister in a coalition government.

Geert Wilders
> C1. Which long-time musical duo is currently riven by a lawsuit
> filed last week by one member against the other, in a
> dispute over the sale of a joint venture?

Hall & Oates

> D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
> a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.

Créspol, France
> F2. Which country last week closed all but one of its land
> border crossings with Russia, alleging that the latter had
> been facilitating an influx of migrants?

Finland

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final

<uk5oaa$nsr$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5348&group=rec.games.trivia#5348

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:07:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:07 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
> re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
> deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

Spain

> 8. *Which technology company* that has been much in the news for the
> past year or so just ousted its co-founder from the CEO position,
> claiming that he had been "not consistently candid" with the
> board of directors?

OpenAI

> ** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> * B. Populist Pols

> B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
> Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
> also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
> with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

Argentina

> * D. Mayhem

> D1. At *which Niagara River border bridge* did a vehicle
> crash into a checkpoint last week, exploding and killing
> the two occupants?

Rainbow Bridge

> D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
> a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.

Dublin

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final

<d0fcf9ac-3c02-4ad7-96cd-a4d3c224d91cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5349&group=rec.games.trivia#5349

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:31:54 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:31 UTC

On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 1:27:06 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. *Which British politician* was plucked from well-deserved
> oblivion last week, raised to the House of Lords, and then
> appointed Foreign Secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?

Cameron

> 5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
> re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
> deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

Spain
> 7. *Which Gaza hospital*, alleged to contain a command post for
> Hamas, was seized by Israeli soldiers last week?

Al-Shifa Hospital
> 10. In *which city* did Taylor Swift cancel a performance of
> her Eras tour, citing high temperatures, after a fan died after
> attending the previous night's show?

Rio de Janeiro
> ** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> * B. Populist Pols
>
> B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
> Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
> also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
> with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

Argentina

> B2. Name the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU populist
> leader whose party took the most seats in the Dutch election
> last week -- possibly setting the stage for him to become
> prime minister in a coalition government.

Fortuyn

> * C. Musical Lawsuits
>
> C1. Which long-time musical duo is currently riven by a lawsuit
> filed last week by one member against the other, in a
> dispute over the sale of a joint venture?

Daryl Hall & John Oates

> * D. Mayhem
>
> D1. At *which Niagara River border bridge* did a vehicle
> crash into a checkpoint last week, exploding and killing
> the two occupants?

Rainbow Bridge
> D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
> a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.

Dublin

> * F. Enter at Your Own Risk
>
> F2. Which country last week closed all but one of its land
> border crossings with Russia, alleging that the latter had
> been facilitating an influx of migrants?

Finland

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final

<574b64ad-961a-4acc-a4da-53652a32decen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5351&group=rec.games.trivia#5351

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:34:47 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:34 UTC

On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 2:27:06 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. With a win by Leylah Fernandez over an Italian opponent, Canada
> took the championship for the first time at a tournament named
> after *which tennis great*?

arthur ashe

> 2. *Which British politician* was plucked from well-deserved
> oblivion last week, raised to the House of Lords, and then
> appointed Foreign Secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?

david cameron

> 3. Who is the 22-year-old man who was convicted last week of murder
> and attempted murder for his truck attack on a Muslim family
> in London, Ontario, in June of 2021?

nat valtman

> 4. The College of Family Physicians of Canada decided last week
> to retreat from *what controversial proposal* that had been
> mooted recently?

3rd year of family medicine residency training

> 5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
> re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
> deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

spain

> 6. Who is the beloved Quebec folk rock singer who died last week
> of cancer at age 47?

karl tremblay

> 7. *Which Gaza hospital*, alleged to contain a command post for
> Hamas, was seized by Israeli soldiers last week?

al shifa hospital

> 8. *Which technology company* that has been much in the news for the
> past year or so just ousted its co-founder from the CEO position,
> claiming that he had been "not consistently candid" with the
> board of directors?

openai

> 9. *Name the SpaceX spacecraft* that exploded on Saturday in what
> was euphemistically called a "rapid unscheduled disassembly".

mega rocket starship

> 10. In *which city* did Taylor Swift cancel a performance of
> her Eras tour, citing high temperatures, after a fan died after
> attending the previous night's show?

rio de janeiro

> ** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Rounds in this season's Final were 12 questions long, consisting
> of 6 pairs.
>

> * A. Sports Championships
>
> A1. Which country won the Cricket World Cup last week with a
> 6-wicket victory over India, playing on the latter's
> home turf?

australia

> A2. In the Grey Cup game, the Montreal Alouettes staged a
> comeback in the last few minutes and seconds to defeat the
> Winnipeg Blue Bombers. What was the final score?

28-24

> * B. Populist Pols
>
> B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
> Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
> also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
> with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

argentina

> B2. Name the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU populist
> leader whose party took the most seats in the Dutch election
> last week -- possibly setting the stage for him to become
> prime minister in a coalition government.

geert wilder

> * C. Musical Lawsuits
>
> C1. Which long-time musical duo is currently riven by a lawsuit
> filed last week by one member against the other, in a
> dispute over the sale of a joint venture?

hall & oates

> C2. After recently settling one abuse lawsuit filed by an
> ex-partner, *which music figure* was slapped with two more
> last week? This time one suit alleges that he sexually
> assaulted a university student in 1991.

sean combs

> * D. Mayhem
>
> D1. At *which Niagara River border bridge* did a vehicle
> crash into a checkpoint last week, exploding and killing
> the two occupants?

rainbow bridge

> D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
> a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.

dublin ireland

> * E. Canadiana: It's the Economy, Stupid
>
> E1. What did Statistics Canada report last week as the inflation
> rate for October, within one-tenth of a percentage point
> in either direction?

3.1%

> E2. In the federal government's fall economic statement last
> Thursday, it promised to remove sales taxes on what type
> of health care?

psychotherapist services

> * F. Enter at Your Own Risk
>
> F1. In a plan that had been discussed for a while, it was
> decided last week that at certain times and dates next
> year there will be a charge (the equivalent of about $8
> Canadian), and a requirement for advance reservations,
> for admission to what?

the european union

> F2. Which country last week closed all but one of its land
> border crossings with Russia, alleging that the latter had
> been facilitating an influx of migrants?

finland

> --
> Mark Brader | "Ooh, righteous indignation -- a bold choice!
> Toronto | I myself would start with dismay and *work my way up*
> m...@vex.net | to righteous indignation." --Murphy Brown
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final answers

<MTKdnSGLffLUC_T4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5354&group=rec.games.trivia#5354

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCI23 Current Events Games 9-Final answers
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 08:16:09 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 08:16 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date... For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

The Current Events game for the season is over and STEPHEN PERRY
has a strong win. Hearty congratulations, sir!

> ** Game 9 (2023-11-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. With a win by Leylah Fernandez over an Italian opponent, Canada
> took the championship for the first time at a tournament named
> after *which tennis great*?

Billie Jean King. 4 for Erland.

> 2. *Which British politician* was plucked from well-deserved
> oblivion last week, raised to the House of Lords, and then
> appointed Foreign Secretary by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak?

David Cameron. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. Who is the 22-year-old man who was convicted last week of murder
> and attempted murder for his truck attack on a Muslim family
> in London, Ontario, in June of 2021?

Nathaniel Veltman. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. The College of Family Physicians of Canada decided last week
> to retreat from *what controversial proposal* that had been
> mooted recently?

An extra (third) year of residency (training). 4 for Stephen.

> 5. *Which European country*'s incumbent prime minister was
> re-confirmed by their parliament last week in the wake of a
> deal to provide amnesty to separatist politicians?

Spain. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 6. Who is the beloved Quebec folk rock singer who died last week
> of cancer at age 47?

Karl Tremblay. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. *Which Gaza hospital*, alleged to contain a command post for
> Hamas, was seized by Israeli soldiers last week?

Al-Shifa. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. *Which technology company* that has been much in the news for the
> past year or so just ousted its co-founder from the CEO position,
> claiming that he had been "not consistently candid" with the
> board of directors?

OpenAI. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. *Name the SpaceX spacecraft* that exploded on Saturday in what
> was euphemistically called a "rapid unscheduled disassembly".

Starship. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Stephen.

> 10. In *which city* did Taylor Swift cancel a performance of
> her Eras tour, citing high temperatures, after a fan died after
> attending the previous night's show?

Rio de Janeiro. ("Rio" was sufficient.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> ** Final (2023-11-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> Rounds in this season's Final were 12 questions long, consisting
> of 6 pairs.

In the original Final game, this was the easiest round.

> * A. Sports Championships

> A1. Which country won the Cricket World Cup last week with a
> 6-wicket victory over India, playing on the latter's
> home turf?

Australia. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> A2. In the Grey Cup game, the Montreal Alouettes staged a
> comeback in the last few minutes and seconds to defeat the
> Winnipeg Blue Bombers. What was the final score?

28-24. 4 for Stephen.

> * B. Populist Pols

> B1. In *which Latin American country* did far-right candidate
> Javier Milei take the presidential run-off election? He is
> also known for his impressive sideburns and for communing
> with -- and cloning -- his dead dog,

Argentina. 4 for everyone.

> B2. Name the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-EU populist
> leader whose party took the most seats in the Dutch election
> last week -- possibly setting the stage for him to become
> prime minister in a coalition government.

Geert Wilders. (I accepted Wilder.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> * C. Musical Lawsuits

> C1. Which long-time musical duo is currently riven by a lawsuit
> filed last week by one member against the other, in a
> dispute over the sale of a joint venture?

Daryl Hall and John Oates (the two surnames were fine) -- see also
this season's Game 5, Round 7. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> C2. After recently settling one abuse lawsuit filed by an
> ex-partner, *which music figure* was slapped with two more
> last week? This time one suit alleges that he sexually
> assaulted a university student in 1991.

Sean Combs. (Accepting Diddy, Puff Daddy, etc.) 4 for Stephen.

> * D. Mayhem

> D1. At *which Niagara River border bridge* did a vehicle
> crash into a checkpoint last week, exploding and killing
> the two occupants?

Rainbow Bridge. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> D2. In *which European city* was a multiple stabbing followed by
> a riot of anti-immigrant hooligans? Dozens were arrested.

Dublin. The events at Crépol, France, starting with the murder of
Thomas Perotto do not exactly fit the question, but the incident
is close enough to score as almost correct. So, 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Stephen. 3 for Erland.

> * E. Canadiana: It's the Economy, Stupid

> E1. What did Statistics Canada report last week as the inflation
> rate for October, within one-tenth of a percentage point
> in either direction?

3.1% (accepting 3.0-3.2%). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> E2. In the federal government's fall economic statement last
> Thursday, it promised to remove sales taxes on what type
> of health care?

Psychotherapy (counseling). 4 for Stephen.

> * F. Enter at Your Own Risk

> F1. In a plan that had been discussed for a while, it was
> decided last week that at certain times and dates next
> year there will be a charge (the equivalent of about $8
> Canadian), and a requirement for advance reservations,
> for admission to what?

Venice.

> F2. Which country last week closed all but one of its land
> border crossings with Russia, alleging that the latter had
> been facilitating an influx of migrants?

Finland. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

They subsequently cloised the one remaining road crossing.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 F BEST EIGHT
Stephen Perry 32 24 40 36 34 36 32 36 35 44 293
Joshua Kreitzer 4 12 20 20 12 8 8 16 16 20 124
Dan Tilque 0 4 12 12 8 12 12 8 16 19 99
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 8 8 8 7 8 8 20 23 91
Dan Blum 8 8 12 4 8 4 7 8 8 12 71
Pete Gayde 0 15 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 15

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Death has a tendency to encourage
msb@vex.net | a depressing view of war." --Donald Rumsfeld