From: cd739c46...@example.com (phingv@cox.net)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:32:30 +0000
 by: phingv@cox.net - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:32 UTC

Does the rittenhouse S7808 detector ahrd wired have a battery, Most of my know it all ,friends say it does?
Thanks
phingv@cox.net

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/replace-hard-wired-smoke-detectors-94948-.htm

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<ku1r8oFijldU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53095&group=alt.home.repair#53095

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:16:56 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 02:16 UTC

On 15/12/2023 3:32 am, phingv@cox.net wrote:
> Does the rittenhouse S7808 detector ahrd wired have a battery, Most of
> my know it all ,friends say it does?
> Thanks
> phingv@cox.net

We have hardwired detectors in this house and they have a battery for
when mains power outages occur. Should have a button you can press with
a broom handle or the like so you can test the battery condition.
I just went and pressed the test button on mine, no beep, so I removed
the battery and checked the voltage, a little low but not flat. Changed
it anyway. Noticed that with no battery in the smoke sensor unit, it
beeped at regular intervals, just like it would do if the battery were
flat. I replace the batteries annually anyway - so I changed the battery
in the other unit as well. The test beep buttons seem not to work
reliably so I don't rely on them.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<ulglg8$1papn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53098&group=alt.home.repair#53098

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 20:37:50 -0800
 by: Bob F - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:37 UTC

On 12/14/2023 6:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 15/12/2023 3:32 am, phingv@cox.net wrote:
>> Does the rittenhouse S7808 detector ahrd wired have a battery, Most of
>> my know it all ,friends say it does?
>> Thanks
>> phingv@cox.net
>>
> We have hardwired detectors in this house and they have a battery for
> when mains power outages occur. Should have a button you can press with
> a broom handle or the like so you can test the battery condition.
> I just went and pressed the test button on mine, no beep, so I removed
> the battery and checked the voltage, a little low but not flat. Changed
> it anyway. Noticed that with no battery in the smoke sensor unit, it
> beeped at regular intervals, just like it would do if the battery were
> flat. I replace the batteries annually anyway - so I changed the battery
> in the other unit as well. The test beep buttons seem not to work
> reliably so I don't rely on them.

Meaning, of course, that you have replaced all the detectors with that
symptom?

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<ku2llvFp7nuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53099&group=alt.home.repair#53099

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:47:42 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:47 UTC

On 15/12/2023 3:37 pm, Bob F wrote:
> On 12/14/2023 6:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> On 15/12/2023 3:32 am, phingv@cox.net wrote:
>>> Does the rittenhouse S7808 detector ahrd wired have a battery, Most
>>> of my know it all ,friends say it does?
>>> Thanks
>>> phingv@cox.net
>>>
>> We have hardwired detectors in this house and they have a battery for
>> when mains power outages occur. Should have a button you can press
>> with a broom handle or the like so you can test the battery condition.
>> I just went and pressed the test button on mine, no beep, so I removed
>> the battery and checked the voltage, a little low but not flat.
>> Changed it anyway. Noticed that with no battery in the smoke sensor
>> unit, it beeped at regular intervals, just like it would do if the
>> battery were flat. I replace the batteries annually anyway - so I
>> changed the battery in the other unit as well. The test beep buttons
>> seem not to work reliably so I don't rely on them.
>
> Meaning, of course, that you have replaced all the detectors with that
> symptom?

No, it was my error, I was hitting the silence beep button (test button
for 3 secs). Yes, I downloaded and read the instructions. ;-)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<25_eN.1837$Wbff.952@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53102&group=alt.home.repair#53102

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:16:14 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:16 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:
>On 12/14/2023 6:16 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> On 15/12/2023 3:32 am, phingv@cox.net wrote:
>>> Does the rittenhouse S7808 detector ahrd wired have a battery, Most of
>>> my know it all ,friends say it does?
>>> Thanks
>>> phingv@cox.net
>>>
>> We have hardwired detectors in this house and they have a battery for
>> when mains power outages occur. Should have a button you can press with
>> a broom handle or the like so you can test the battery condition.
>> I just went and pressed the test button on mine, no beep, so I removed
>> the battery and checked the voltage, a little low but not flat. Changed
>> it anyway. Noticed that with no battery in the smoke sensor unit, it
>> beeped at regular intervals, just like it would do if the battery were
>> flat. I replace the batteries annually anyway - so I changed the battery
>> in the other unit as well. The test beep buttons seem not to work
>> reliably so I don't rely on them.
>
>Meaning, of course, that you have replaced all the detectors with that
>symptom?

Once they reach 10 years of age, they should be replaced anyway
as the radioactive Americium 241 will have decayed to the point
where operations will become unreliable.

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<c5vonitec9cbr3brb90kc8bcjd2sreho3a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53104&group=alt.home.repair#53104

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:24:55 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:24 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:16:14 GMT,
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>
>>> We have hardwired detectors in this house and they have a battery for
>>> when mains power outages occur. Should have a button you can press with
>>> a broom handle or the like so you can test the battery condition.
>>> I just went and pressed the test button on mine, no beep, so I removed
>>> the battery and checked the voltage, a little low but not flat. Changed
>>> it anyway. Noticed that with no battery in the smoke sensor unit, it
>>> beeped at regular intervals, just like it would do if the battery were
>>> flat. I replace the batteries annually anyway - so I changed the battery
>>> in the other unit as well. The test beep buttons seem not to work
>>> reliably so I don't rely on them.
>>
>>Meaning, of course, that you have replaced all the detectors with that
>>symptom?
>
>Once they reach 10 years of age, they should be replaced anyway
>as the radioactive Americium 241 will have decayed to the point
>where operations will become unreliable.

FTR, the performance of my wired smoke detector seems consistent with
what it used to be. 3 or 4 times I was pan frying hamburgers etc. and
when I made the burner too hot, even though there were no flames, the
smoke detector soon went off. I had to turn off the stove and either
wait quite a while or fan the air away from the detector. That would
stop it for a 3 or 4 seconds and then it would start up again, so I
learned to wait, and then solved it by not turning the stove as high.
This smoke detector came with the house, built 44 years ago.

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<dF%eN.46477$p%Mb.11483@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53107&group=alt.home.repair#53107

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:03:05 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:03 UTC

On 2023-12-15, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:16:14 GMT,
> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
>
>>Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> writes:

>>>Meaning, of course, that you have replaced all the detectors with that
>>>symptom?
>>
>>Once they reach 10 years of age, they should be replaced anyway
>>as the radioactive Americium 241 will have decayed to the point
>>where operations will become unreliable.
>
> FTR, the performance of my wired smoke detector seems consistent with
> what it used to be. 3 or 4 times I was pan frying hamburgers etc. and
> when I made the burner too hot, even though there were no flames, the
> smoke detector soon went off. I had to turn off the stove and either
> wait quite a while or fan the air away from the detector. That would
> stop it for a 3 or 4 seconds and then it would start up again, so I
> learned to wait, and then solved it by not turning the stove as high.
> This smoke detector came with the house, built 44 years ago.

Yeah, sure. I'd love to stake my house on smoke detectors whose
performance "seems consistent" and whose age is either 44 years or
a minute before you bought it (whichever is later).

Will you tell your homeowner's insurance company that you couldn't
be bothered to keep them up to date when they ask you why the
manufacture date on the one that was recovered from the fire was
1980?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

<795pni1g7vsmq9ogaidqknklsmc0o02ckc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=53108&group=alt.home.repair#53108

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:06:39 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:06 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:03:05 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2023-12-15, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:16:14 GMT,
>> scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>>>Once they reach 10 years of age, they should be replaced anyway
>>>as the radioactive Americium 241 will have decayed to the point
>>>where operations will become unreliable.
>>
>> FTR, the performance of my wired smoke detector seems consistent with
>> what it used to be. 3 or 4 times I was pan frying hamburgers etc. and
>> when I made the burner too hot, even though there were no flames, the
>> smoke detector soon went off. I had to turn off the stove and either
>> wait quite a while or fan the air away from the detector. That would
>> stop it for a 3 or 4 seconds and then it would start up again, so I
>> learned to wait, and then solved it by not turning the stove as high.
>> This smoke detector came with the house, built 44 years ago.
>
>Yeah, sure. I'd love to stake my house on smoke detectors whose
>performance "seems consistent" and whose age is either 44 years or
>a minute before you bought it (whichever is later).

It's not the only one I've got, but I'm not getting rid of it until I
think it doesn't work anymore.

I only say what I know. I can't go beyond "seems consistent" because I
have no way of my own to meaure the level of "products of combusition"
these past few times with 35 years ago.

>Will you tell your homeowner's insurance company that you couldn't
>be bothered to keep them up to date when they ask you why the
>manufacture date on the one that was recovered from the fire was
>1980?

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Replace hard wired smoke detectors?