Good day to let down old friends who need help.

interests / rec.woodworking / OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

SubjectAuthor
* OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
+* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Eli the Bearded
|+* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
||`* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Eli the Bearded
|| `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
||  `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Clare Snyder
||   `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
||    `- Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Puckdropper
|`* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?krw
| +* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
| |`- Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?krw
| `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Markem618
|  `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?krw
|   `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Markem618
|    `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?krw
|     `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Markem618
|      +* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
|      |`- Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Leon
|      `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?krw
|       `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Markem618
|        `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?krw
|         `- Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Markem618
`* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Michael Trew
 `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03
  `* Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?Michael Trew
   `- Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?DerbyDad03

Pages:12
OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<ee9892b5-c1ad-4bb5-884e-e28a7ca93e1fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5198&group=rec.woodworking#5198

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:26:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:26 UTC

The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.

Power is supplied via the large fabric covered cable on the right and leaves
leave via the black Romex cable on the left. Prior to taking the photo, I
removed a very old (white turned almost completely brown) ceramic pull
chain fixture. I also removed the oily, peeling electrical tape from one of the
splices to see how it was made.

Check out this beauty:

https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg

Here's what I found:

1 - The box was held to the joist by 2 nails. The one that can be seen
behind the taped splice was not fully hammered into the joist. The
second one (not seen) was a finishing nail that was hammered about
halfway in and then bent over. Obviously, the box wobbled and twisted.

2 - The splices were made by stripping some insulation from the outgoing
Romex, wrapping it around the source wire and then taping the splice. No solder, no wire nuts.

3 - No cable clamp was used for the outgoing Romex. Instead, the ground
wire was wrapped around the cable and the hole in the box, "securing" the
Romex to the box.

4 - You can't tell from the photo, but based on the color of the fabric on
the source cable, the hot and neutral are reversed. The reason I opened
this box is because I was working on a light switch down stream of this
junction box. When I opened the switch box I noticed that the white was
switched and the black wires were twisted and taped. Again, no wire nut
and no cable clamps.

https://i.imgur.com/O2gYFJn.jpg

Instead of assuming that the neutral was switched, I decided to test the
wires and found that the white was hot. That lead me back to the junction
box pictured above. The white fabric was hot, the white/black fabric was the neutral. At least the installer was smart enough to switch the hot, even if the
color was wrong.

Having already been in the panel, I knew that a black wire was attached
to the breaker, so there must be another junction box in between the panel
and the box I was working on. The color swap had to have happened
somewhere, so I went looking upstream.

What I found was that there was a junction box up in a joist bay, inside what
used to be a cold air return. That box has a BX cable, the large fabric
covered cable and a plastic coated Romex attached. It is also 8 feet into the
bay and covered in decades old dirt and grime. The only way for me to
access it would be to pull down part of the basement "ceiling", something I
did not have the time nor the desire to do. I'm not even 100% sure if that is
where the hot/neutral switch was made. That is going to be a job for another
day.

My temporary solution was to mark the fabric wires in the box I was working in, swap the outgoing wires so that the black wire would be hot in the switch
box, secure the box to the joist with screws, install a cable clamp and use wire nuts. I then closed up the box and hung a tag noting that the hot & neutral were swapped somewhere upstream. (Tag not shown)

https://i.imgur.com/iS4sr5F.jpg

I just can't wait to pull the ceiling down and open that other box. I'll be
wearing a hat, cloves, mask and maybe even a Tyvek suit. I can't imagine
what I'll find inside *that* box.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<eli$2111091357@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5199&group=rec.woodworking#5199

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:57:21 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:57 UTC

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:
> The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
> old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
> fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
>
> Power is supplied via the large fabric covered cable on the right and
> leaves leave via the black Romex cable on the left. Prior to taking
> the photo, I removed a very old (white turned almost completely brown)
> ceramic pull chain fixture. I also removed the oily, peeling
> electrical tape from one of the splices to see how it was made.
>
> Check out this beauty:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
>
> Here's what I found:

That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
probably grounded. Wish I had that in more places here. I'd need to
take out the plaster and lathe ceiling in the garage, while minding
not to damage the asbestos insulation on the ducts from gravity furnace,
to get at all of the wiring. I expect it's cloth insulated knob and
tube. I've seen the knobs in side the walls when I've made holes for
other repairs.

I've been running conduit for all new wiring but that's not much.

Elijah
------
often finds disused gas pipes when opening the walls, too

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<f2fc2ef2-8333-4514-bc4c-cd9b2f75bb2an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5200&group=rec.woodworking#5200

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 11:35:06 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:35 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 1:57:25 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
> > The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
> > old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
> > fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
> >
> > Power is supplied via the large fabric covered cable on the right and
> > leaves leave via the black Romex cable on the left. Prior to taking
> > the photo, I removed a very old (white turned almost completely brown)
> > ceramic pull chain fixture. I also removed the oily, peeling
> > electrical tape from one of the splices to see how it was made.
> >
> > Check out this beauty:
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
> >
> > Here's what I found:
> That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
> probably grounded. Wish I had that in more places here. I'd need to
> take out the plaster and lathe ceiling in the garage, while minding
> not to damage the asbestos insulation on the ducts from gravity furnace,
> to get at all of the wiring. I expect it's cloth insulated knob and
> tube. I've seen the knobs in side the walls when I've made holes for
> other repairs.
>
> I've been running conduit for all new wiring but that's not much.
>
> Elijah
> ------
> often finds disused gas pipes when opening the walls, too

Where do you see conduit?

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<eli$2111091449@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5201&group=rec.woodworking#5201

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:49:14 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:49 UTC

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 1:57:25 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
>> probably grounded.
> Where do you see conduit?

Am I mistaking what I'm seeing in the upper right corner here?

https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg

Elijah
------
whose cloth insulated wires don't look as good as that

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<c92ecd94-bea5-48a4-a889-729d2f2b36a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5202&group=rec.woodworking#5202

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:29:02 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 20:29 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 2:49:17 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 1:57:25 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> >> That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
> >> probably grounded.
> > Where do you see conduit?
> Am I mistaking what I'm seeing in the upper right corner here?
>
> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg

Yes, yes you are. ;-)

That is black cloth covered cable. Almost round, almost 1/2" in diameter.
No ground.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<r2plogdtsp39lqj21snditlbss69rojtkp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5204&group=rec.woodworking#5204

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 16:16:16 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 21:16 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:57:21 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
<*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

>In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:
>> The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
>> old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
>> fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
>>
>> Power is supplied via the large fabric covered cable on the right and
>> leaves leave via the black Romex cable on the left. Prior to taking
>> the photo, I removed a very old (white turned almost completely brown)
>> ceramic pull chain fixture. I also removed the oily, peeling
>> electrical tape from one of the splices to see how it was made.
>>
>> Check out this beauty:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
>>
>> Here's what I found:
>
>That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
>probably grounded. Wish I had that in more places here. I'd need to
>take out the plaster and lathe ceiling in the garage, while minding
>not to damage the asbestos insulation on the ducts from gravity furnace,
>to get at all of the wiring. I expect it's cloth insulated knob and
>tube. I've seen the knobs in side the walls when I've made holes for
>other repairs.

>I've been running conduit for all new wiring but that's not much.

Conduit is complete overkill. Something only a corrupt city like
Chicago would require.

>Elijah
>------
>often finds disused gas pipes when opening the walls, too

The gas installer I had just a few years ago cut (half way) through
one of the wires in my basement. The hot wasn't any longer but it was
touching the gas line.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<dad9f613-e524-4a0d-b158-9613eb71e419n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5206&group=rec.woodworking#5206

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:25:26 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 21:25 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 4:16:21 PM UTC-5, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:57:21 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
> <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>
> >In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
> >> The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
> >> old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
> >> fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
> >>
> >> Power is supplied via the large fabric covered cable on the right and
> >> leaves leave via the black Romex cable on the left. Prior to taking
> >> the photo, I removed a very old (white turned almost completely brown)
> >> ceramic pull chain fixture. I also removed the oily, peeling
> >> electrical tape from one of the splices to see how it was made.
> >>
> >> Check out this beauty:
> >>
> >> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
> >>
> >> Here's what I found:
> >
> >That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
> >probably grounded. Wish I had that in more places here. I'd need to
> >take out the plaster and lathe ceiling in the garage, while minding
> >not to damage the asbestos insulation on the ducts from gravity furnace,
> >to get at all of the wiring. I expect it's cloth insulated knob and
> >tube. I've seen the knobs in side the walls when I've made holes for
> >other repairs.
>
> >I've been running conduit for all new wiring but that's not much.
> Conduit is complete overkill. Something only a corrupt city like
> Chicago would require.
> >Elijah
> >------
> >often finds disused gas pipes when opening the walls, too
> The gas installer I had just a few years ago cut (half way) through
> one of the wires in my basement. The hot wasn't any longer but it was
> touching the gas line.

If the wire had been in conduit, would he have been able to cut it?

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<e14mog1kh8ga9o95ovk64lgcm2f99vju6h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5209&group=rec.woodworking#5209

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 18:23:41 -0600
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 00:23 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 16:16:16 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>Conduit is complete overkill. Something only a corrupt city like
>Chicago would require.

Cook County is the body that requires conduit, Chicago is but a part
of the county.

But in most industrial applications conduit is a good thing.

You should check that trolling motor battery!

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<ud7mog56gfprmntgh54pcgoin1rmibuaj8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5210&group=rec.woodworking#5210

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:18:18 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:18 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:29:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 2:49:17 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> > Where do you see conduit?
>> Am I mistaking what I'm seeing in the upper right corner here?
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
>

>Yes, yes you are. ;-)
>
>That is black cloth covered cable. Almost round, almost 1/2" in diameter.
>No ground.
and no "clamp" or "bushing either - right??

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<q99mogljekhq2r9uqivgu03ja4auiakhvc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5211&group=rec.woodworking#5211

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:51:31 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:51 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:25:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 4:16:21 PM UTC-5, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:57:21 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
>> <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

>> >That is a beauty. I can see right away you have conduit, so the box is
>> >probably grounded. Wish I had that in more places here. I'd need to
>> >take out the plaster and lathe ceiling in the garage, while minding
>> >not to damage the asbestos insulation on the ducts from gravity furnace,
>> >to get at all of the wiring. I expect it's cloth insulated knob and
>> >tube. I've seen the knobs in side the walls when I've made holes for
>> >other repairs.
>>
>> >I've been running conduit for all new wiring but that's not much.
>> Conduit is complete overkill. Something only a corrupt city like
>> Chicago would require.
>> >Elijah
>> >------
>> >often finds disused gas pipes when opening the walls, too
>> The gas installer I had just a few years ago cut (half way) through
>> one of the wires in my basement. The hot wasn't any longer but it was
>> touching the gas line.
>
>If the wire had been in conduit, would he have been able to cut it?

Probably. He would have at least bent the crap out of it. A conduit
would probably have found its way through the gas line, too. He just
_had_ to run the gas line where the wire was.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<9d9moglhj2giojui3bu45p4cromd2viu1g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5212&group=rec.woodworking#5212

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:56:05 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:56 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 18:23:41 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 16:16:16 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>
>>Conduit is complete overkill. Something only a corrupt city like
>>Chicago would require.
>
>Cook County is the body that requires conduit, Chicago is but a part
>of the county.

A distinction without a difference.

>But in most industrial applications conduit is a good thing.

OK but that's not the subject.

>You should check that trolling motor battery!

Got it. You believe in union bosses running cities too.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<niamoglglfhed170og2c0c6nvempugrjlf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5213&group=rec.woodworking#5213

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:16:11 -0600
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 02:16 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:56:05 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 18:23:41 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 16:16:16 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>>
>>>Conduit is complete overkill. Something only a corrupt city like
>>>Chicago would require.
>>
>>Cook County is the body that requires conduit, Chicago is but a part
>>of the county.
>
>A distinction without a difference.
>>
>>But in most industrial applications conduit is a good thing.
>
>OK but that's not the subject.
>
>>You should check that trolling motor battery!
>
>Got it. You believe in union bosses running cities too.

Nope I believe the present evolution the American political system
corrupt. (no answers to how to fix and do not care too.)

Follow the money.

You are drawing conclusion based upon your bias.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<lvdmogteee1k8d00fjeenfn6gbhbbug5gt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5214&group=rec.woodworking#5214

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 22:10:21 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 03:10 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:16:11 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:56:05 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 18:23:41 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Cook County is the body that requires conduit, Chicago is but a part
>>>of the county.
>>
>>A distinction without a difference.
>>>
>>>But in most industrial applications conduit is a good thing.
>>
>>OK but that's not the subject.
>>
>>>You should check that trolling motor battery!
>>
>>Got it. You believe in union bosses running cities too.
>
>Nope I believe the present evolution the American political system
>corrupt. (no answers to how to fix and do not care too.)
>
>Follow the money.
>
>You are drawing conclusion based upon your bias.

Nope. Facts, but you're agreeing so...

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<8bcb630f-f00c-4afb-ba7d-a0be793bd764n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5215&group=rec.woodworking#5215

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:17:12 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 03:17 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 8:18:24 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:29:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> >> Am I mistaking what I'm seeing in the upper right corner here?
> >>
> >> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
> >

> >Yes, yes you are. ;-)
> >
> >That is black cloth covered cable. Almost round, almost 1/2" in diameter..
> >No ground.
> and no "clamp" or "bushing either - right??

Do you not see the clamp on the large cable on the right?

It was loose, but it’s there. I tightened it up.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<a1OiJ.91721$IW4.83780@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5216&group=rec.woodworking#5216

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdrop...@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:28:06 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:28 UTC

DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote in

> Do you not see the clamp on the large cable on the right?
>
> It was loose, but it’s there. I tightened it up.

I was waiting for that revelation! That many other problems, there was no
way the clamp was clamping the wire.

Puckdropper

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<27pnogdqpcr26nlmc0aqga854soft0a7ob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5220&group=rec.woodworking#5220

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 09:27:48 -0600
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:27 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 22:10:21 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:16:11 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:56:05 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>>>A distinction without a difference.

>>>OK but that's not the subject.

>>>Got it. You believe in union bosses running cities too.
>>
>>Nope I believe the present evolution the American political system
>>corrupt. (no answers to how to fix and do not care too.)
>>
>>Follow the money.
>>
>>You are drawing conclusion based upon your bias.
>
>Nope. Facts, but you're agreeing so...

Senilty is looking good on you.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<2a0e1799-5577-4174-9b01-bc5f99329e34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5222&group=rec.woodworking#5222

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:22:00 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:22 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 10:27:54 AM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 22:10:21 -0500, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:16:11 -0600, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
> >wrote:

> >>Nope I believe the present evolution the American political system
> >>corrupt. (no answers to how to fix and do not care too.)
> >>
> >>Follow the money.
> >>
> >>You are drawing conclusion based upon your bias.
> >
> >Nope. Facts, but you're agreeing so...
> Senilty is looking good on you.

Do we really need to do this again?

How about you guys start your own thread related to the downfall
of the American political system as well as all the insult lobbing.

a.h.r would be the perfect group for that conversation.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<duunogp74h78hcnnf28rkohvumq2hnii54@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5225&group=rec.woodworking#5225

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:08:07 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:08 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 09:27:48 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 22:10:21 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 20:16:11 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Nope I believe the present evolution the American political system
>>>corrupt. (no answers to how to fix and do not care too.)

Union bosses running the cities = American political system corrupt
>>>Follow the money.

Union bosses running the cities = Follow the money

>>>You are drawing conclusion based upon your bias.
>>
>>Nope. Facts, but you're agreeing so...
>
>Senilty is looking good on you.

Mirror anyone?

I don't know why you can't even understand what *YOU* wrote.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<auvnogp4n32nl8m5bqcenlvkhf3k79r1aa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5228&group=rec.woodworking#5228

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:24:28 -0600
References: <ee9892b5-c1ad-4bb5-884e-e28a7ca93e1fn@googlegroups.com> <eli$2111091357@qaz.wtf> <r2plogdtsp39lqj21snditlbss69rojtkp@4ax.com> <e14mog1kh8ga9o95ovk64lgcm2f99vju6h@4ax.com> <9d9moglhj2giojui3bu45p4cromd2viu1g@4ax.com> <niamoglglfhed170og2c0c6nvempugrjlf@4ax.com> <lvdmogteee1k8d00fjeenfn6gbhbbug5gt@4ax.com> <27pnogdqpcr26nlmc0aqga854soft0a7ob@4ax.com> <duunogp74h78hcnnf28rkohvumq2hnii54@4ax.com>
 by: Markem618 - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:24 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:08:07 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>I don't know why you can't even understand what *YOU* wrote.

Because I do not have access to the twists and turns in your head that
bastardizes what I wrote and meant.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<ec-dnSmooP6tjBH8nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5229&group=rec.woodworking#5229

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:36:33 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 18:36 UTC

On 11/10/2021 10:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 10:27:54 AM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 22:10:21 -0500, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>>> Nope. Facts, but you're agreeing so...
>> Senilty is looking good on you.
>
> Do we really need to do this again?
>
> How about you guys start your own thread related to the downfall
> of the American political system as well as all the insult lobbing.
>
> a.h.r would be the perfect group for that conversation.

Do what again, Post an OT topic? ;~)

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<tfsoogpgatgajccevobn7g8ltfk0e5dqr1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5235&group=rec.woodworking#5235

From: krw...@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <ee9892b5-c1ad-4bb5-884e-e28a7ca93e1fn@googlegroups.com> <eli$2111091357@qaz.wtf> <r2plogdtsp39lqj21snditlbss69rojtkp@4ax.com> <e14mog1kh8ga9o95ovk64lgcm2f99vju6h@4ax.com> <9d9moglhj2giojui3bu45p4cromd2viu1g@4ax.com> <niamoglglfhed170og2c0c6nvempugrjlf@4ax.com> <lvdmogteee1k8d00fjeenfn6gbhbbug5gt@4ax.com> <27pnogdqpcr26nlmc0aqga854soft0a7ob@4ax.com> <duunogp74h78hcnnf28rkohvumq2hnii54@4ax.com> <auvnogp4n32nl8m5bqcenlvkhf3k79r1aa@4ax.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:30:20 -0500
 by: krw...@notreal.com - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 01:30 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:24:28 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:08:07 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>

>>I don't know why you can't even understand what *YOU* wrote.
>
>Because I do not have access to the twists and turns in your head that
>bastardizes what I wrote and meant.

I note that you had to snip the discussion to cover your ass. Didn't
work.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<7h3pogtkhd7k3v4ogfaakas6f827rqo8d4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5238&group=rec.woodworking#5238

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:36:00 -0600
References: <eli$2111091357@qaz.wtf> <r2plogdtsp39lqj21snditlbss69rojtkp@4ax.com> <e14mog1kh8ga9o95ovk64lgcm2f99vju6h@4ax.com> <9d9moglhj2giojui3bu45p4cromd2viu1g@4ax.com> <niamoglglfhed170og2c0c6nvempugrjlf@4ax.com> <lvdmogteee1k8d00fjeenfn6gbhbbug5gt@4ax.com> <27pnogdqpcr26nlmc0aqga854soft0a7ob@4ax.com> <duunogp74h78hcnnf28rkohvumq2hnii54@4ax.com> <auvnogp4n32nl8m5bqcenlvkhf3k79r1aa@4ax.com> <tfsoogpgatgajccevobn7g8ltfk0e5dqr1@4ax.com>
 by: Markem618 - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 03:36 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:30:20 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:24:28 -0600, Markem618 <markrm618@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:08:07 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>>

>>>I don't know why you can't even understand what *YOU* wrote.
>>
>>Because I do not have access to the twists and turns in your head that
>>bastardizes what I wrote and meant.
>
>I note that you had to snip the discussion to cover your ass. Didn't
>work.

Incorrect assumption, I snipped because the previous information is
still available, and I was answering your question which your forgot
the ?.

Of course you can invent your own version of reality.

All of this cause I made a joke and you jumped on me like I had
vulgarly insulted your wife. That was sometime back I wonder whether
you remember?

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<smmird$l5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5252&group=rec.woodworking#5252

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:29:40 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 20:29 UTC

On 11/9/2021 13:26, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
> old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
> fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
>
> Check out this beauty:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg

I had a couple of similar circuits in my house also. Two of them, I
decided to completely disconnect; one was for a few basement outlets,
and I don't remember where the other went, but clearly it wasn't that
important.

My "favorite" one, which I had to fix because it was being used, was a
metal junction box (old iron one similar to yours) with TWO circuits in
it; electrical tape, no solder or plastic caps. It was partially
shorting off of the box or something; because when one circuit breaker
was off, the other circuit had a very low voltage testing on the line.
It took a good while to track down that issue.

I noticed this short due to the PO having one of those odd light
switches that glow orange when they are turned off. It had a very dim
glow (more dim than normal) even when the circuit was turned off...
yikes! After I fixed that mess, I quickly did away with that annoying
glowing light switch.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<ab677e53-55c0-4521-b7ca-bf3a43ef1a15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5257&group=rec.woodworking#5257

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:24:22 -0800 (PST)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 00:24 UTC

On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 3:29:37 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 11/9/2021 13:26, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
> > old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
> > fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
> >
> > Check out this beauty:
> >
> > https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
> I had a couple of similar circuits in my house also. Two of them, I
> decided to completely disconnect; one was for a few basement outlets,
> and I don't remember where the other went, but clearly it wasn't that
> important.
>
> My "favorite" one, which I had to fix because it was being used, was a
> metal junction box (old iron one similar to yours) with TWO circuits in
> it; electrical tape, no solder or plastic caps. It was partially
> shorting off of the box or something; because when one circuit breaker
> was off, the other circuit had a very low voltage testing on the line.
> It took a good while to track down that issue.
>
> I noticed this short due to the PO having one of those odd light
> switches that glow orange when they are turned off. It had a very dim
> glow (more dim than normal) even when the circuit was turned off...
> yikes! After I fixed that mess, I quickly did away with that annoying
> glowing light switch.

Was it possible that it was Edison circuit - a shared neutral? Every "symptom"
you described would happen with a Edison circuit. Both breakers need to be
off for both circuits to be completely dead if any device (like the light switch)
is "live" on the circuit whose breaker is still on. A lamp would have acted the
same way.

I have one Edison circuit in my house which I may eliminate some day. Edison
circuits were used to save wire. If you use enough 3 wire cable vs pairs of 2 wire
cables, you can save some money. In my case the single Edison circuit uses
less than 15' of 3 wire cable so there wasn't a whole lot of savings realized.
I really don't quite understand why it was even installed.

Re: OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?

<smor41$pfm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5264&group=rec.woodworking#5264

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:02:58 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 17:02 UTC

On 11/12/2021 19:24, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Friday, November 12, 2021 at 3:29:37 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 11/9/2021 13:26, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>>> The following image shows a junction box that I opened up in an 80+ year
>>> old house. This house has various generations of wire types, from BX, to
>>> fabric covered NM (very old and newer old), plastic NM, etc.
>>>
>>> Check out this beauty:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/YSrRjyi.jpg
>> I had a couple of similar circuits in my house also. Two of them, I
>> decided to completely disconnect; one was for a few basement outlets,
>> and I don't remember where the other went, but clearly it wasn't that
>> important.
>>
>> My "favorite" one, which I had to fix because it was being used, was a
>> metal junction box (old iron one similar to yours) with TWO circuits in
>> it; electrical tape, no solder or plastic caps. It was partially
>> shorting off of the box or something; because when one circuit breaker
>> was off, the other circuit had a very low voltage testing on the line.
>> It took a good while to track down that issue.
>>
>> I noticed this short due to the PO having one of those odd light
>> switches that glow orange when they are turned off. It had a very dim
>> glow (more dim than normal) even when the circuit was turned off...
>> yikes! After I fixed that mess, I quickly did away with that annoying
>> glowing light switch.
>
> Was it possible that it was Edison circuit - a shared neutral? Every "symptom"
> you described would happen with a Edison circuit. Both breakers need to be
> off for both circuits to be completely dead if any device (like the light switch)
> is "live" on the circuit whose breaker is still on. A lamp would have acted the
> same way.
>
> I have one Edison circuit in my house which I may eliminate some day. Edison
> circuits were used to save wire. If you use enough 3 wire cable vs pairs of 2 wire
> cables, you can save some money. In my case the single Edison circuit uses
> less than 15' of 3 wire cable so there wasn't a whole lot of savings realized.
> I really don't quite understand why it was even installed.

You know, now that you say that, I think that was the case. I didn't
know what the circuit was called, but the whole second floor and
finished attic of my home; both levels share ONE circuit... which goes
into a ceramic fuse box in one second floor bedroom closet. The other
circuit in the box covers the three-way light switch for the floor lamp
and 2nd floor hall light, as well as all of the first floor ceiling and
porch lighting.

This fuse box, for some reason, has four fuses; both hots and neutrals
are fused. The moron PO's had 20 amp fuses installed; I put 15's in.
They never blow, because I really don't run anything more than a lamp,
fan, or phone charger upstairs. Anyway, coming out of the box, are two
hots, and a shared neutral; into a conduit, outside, and down into my
main breaker box.

Question: I've tried to describe this situation to people before, and
I've gotten mixed responses. Should the two hots be on the same phase,
or different phases in my breaker box? I've been told that they should
be on the same phase in case the neutral is broken so it doesn't
accidentally become a 240V circuit or something. I've also been told
that they should be on alternate phases so the Neutral wire isn't
accidentally overloaded. I think I have them on the same phase;
(alternating breakers) at the moment.

interests / rec.woodworking / OT - How Many Code Violations Will Fit In A Junction Box?