From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: stacking two large and small socket wrenches
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 17:17:40 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 22:17 UTC

Tried a heat gun on my two shower faucets, got hot enough to ignite a
tiny bit of something in the wall. No flames but it glowed for 20
seconds. Hot enough that the socket warmed up within a minute of
applying to the work, but still won't budge. Whacked cross bar with a
hammer a few times, no improvement.

Almost ready to quit, but after it cooled sprayed some more PB Blaster
on them. Now CAN'T find the socket. No telling when it will turn up.

This is metric and none are big enough, 1-1/32", but still gives rise to
a question:
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Ended-Wrench-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B09KP9B225/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
ADVISE: We recommend stacking two large and small socket wrenches When
twisting a sturdy object.

What does this mean? How would one stack two sockets?

https://www.amazon.com/Ketofa-Dual-Ended-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B08YKDWT9R/ref=sr_1_8
Also metric and not big enough, says the same thing.

Re: stacking two large and small socket wrenches

<82e8fc5d-40d7-48b4-90b9-b76c40055e9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51889&group=alt.home.repair#51889

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 05:26:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: stacking two large and small socket wrenches
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:26 UTC

On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 5:17:49 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> Tried a heat gun on my two shower faucets, got hot enough to ignite a
> tiny bit of something in the wall. No flames but it glowed for 20
> seconds. Hot enough that the socket warmed up within a minute of
> applying to the work, but still won't budge. Whacked cross bar with a
> hammer a few times, no improvement.
>
> Almost ready to quit, but after it cooled sprayed some more PB Blaster
> on them. Now CAN'T find the socket. No telling when it will turn up.

A propane torch will deliver a lot more heat to where it's needed. Those
pipes will conduct the heat away. Draining the water will help.

> This is metric and none are big enough, 1-1/32", but still gives rise to
> a question:
> https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Ended-Wrench-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B09KP9B225/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
> ADVISE: We recommend stacking two large and small socket wrenches When
> twisting a sturdy object.
>
> What does this mean? How would one stack two sockets?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Ketofa-Dual-Ended-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B08YKDWT9R/ref=sr_1_8
> Also metric and not big enough, says the same thing.

No idea. I could see using one as a handle to help lengthen the handle and turn it,
but that's not stacking. Stacking sounds like putting one inside the other, if it fits,
I don't see where that helps.

Re: stacking two large and small socket wrenches

<m45iki5bjlqsemfrvk1l03i505p27aahdv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51892&group=alt.home.repair#51892

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 11:34:10 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:34 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 6 Nov 2023 05:26:25 -0800 (PST), trader_4
<trader4@optonline.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 5:17:49?PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
>> Tried a heat gun on my two shower faucets, got hot enough to ignite a
>> tiny bit of something in the wall. No flames but it glowed for 20
>> seconds. Hot enough that the socket warmed up within a minute of
>> applying to the work, but still won't budge. Whacked cross bar with a
>> hammer a few times, no improvement.
>>
>> Almost ready to quit, but after it cooled sprayed some more PB Blaster
>> on them. Now CAN'T find the socket. No telling when it will turn up.

Turns out a partial roll of toilet paper was sitting on the counter, and
there wasn't too much empty space for the socket, so for some reason I
stood it up in the middle of the tp roll and then couldn't find it.

>A propane torch will deliver a lot more heat to where it's needed. Those

I was afraid of setting the wall on fire. I guess you think that's
unlikely.

>pipes will conduct the heat away. Draining the water will help.

The water was drained.

Strangely, it's dripping a lot less since I tried to take it apart than
it did 4 days ago. But I doubt that will last. I'll try again in a
couple days.

>> This is metric and none are big enough, 1-1/32", but still gives rise to
>> a question:
>> https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Ended-Wrench-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B09KP9B225/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
>> ADVISE: We recommend stacking two large and small socket wrenches When
>> twisting a sturdy object.
>>
>> What does this mean? How would one stack two sockets?
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Ketofa-Dual-Ended-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B08YKDWT9R/ref=sr_1_8
>> Also metric and not big enough, says the same thing.
>
>No idea. I could see using one as a handle to help lengthen the handle and turn it,
>but that's not stacking. Stacking sounds like putting one inside the other, if it fits,
>I don't see where that helps.

Maybe it sounds different in Chinese.

Re: stacking two large and small socket wrenches

<MPG.3fb2ee3ea673f04989eae@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51898&group=alt.home.repair#51898

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:36:52 -0500
 by: Ralph Mowery - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 17:36 UTC

In article <m45iki5bjlqsemfrvk1l03i505p27aahdv@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

> >> This is metric and none are big enough, 1-1/32", but still gives rise to
> >> a question:
> >> https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Ended-Wrench-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B09KP9B225/ref=sr_1_2_sspa
> >> ADVISE: We recommend stacking two large and small socket wrenches When
> >> twisting a sturdy object.
> >>
> >> What does this mean? How would one stack two sockets?
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/Ketofa-Dual-Ended-Plumber-Spanner-Extended/dp/B08YKDWT9R/ref=sr_1_8
> >> Also metric and not big enough, says the same thing.
> >
> >No idea. I could see using one as a handle to help lengthen the handle and turn it,
> >but that's not stacking. Stacking sounds like putting one inside the other, if it fits,
> >I don't see where that helps.
>
> Maybe it sounds different in Chinese.

Those sockets look very thin. They may mean to use the smaller socket
that fits the nut and then putting a larger socket over the one on the
nut for extra strength (thicker wall of the socket). If you have a deep
wall socket that will fit the nut that is much thicker you would not
need to 'stack' them.

Re: stacking two large and small socket wrenches

<s1nikitjburddvh2k5ndljquuq5iftd0pv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51908&group=alt.home.repair#51908

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 16:36:31 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:36 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:36:52 -0500, Ralph Mowery
<rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:

>In article <m45iki5bjlqsemfrvk1l03i505p27aahdv@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07
>@fmguy.com says...

>> >No idea. I could see using one as a handle to help lengthen the handle and turn it,
>> >but that's not stacking. Stacking sounds like putting one inside the other, if it fits,
>> >I don't see where that helps.
>>
>> Maybe it sounds different in Chinese.
>>

>Those sockets look very thin. They may mean to use the smaller socket
>that fits the nut and then putting a larger socket over the one on the
>nut for extra strength (thicker wall of the socket). If you have a deep
>wall socket that will fit the nut that is much thicker you would not
>need to 'stack' them.

Okay.

interests / alt.home.repair / stacking two large and small socket wrenches