interests / rec.games.trivia / QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSPete Gayde
+- Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOSswp
`- QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: Ireland, CanPOSMark Brader

1
QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<VOOcnU7oXPVQcJr4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5131&group=rec.games.trivia#5131

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:27:25 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:27 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Because of the reduced size of the league this season, the usual
3-way Final game was abandoned and what was essentially a standard
game was played, with each of Rounds 2-9 consisting of 10 questions
on a single subject.

* Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish

Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish. (One guess
as to which Irregular wrote these.)

1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

2. Which Irish city in the southeast is known for its fine
glassware?

3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
monuments dedicated to?

4. Born in Dublin in 1769, he had a distinguished military career,
then served as British Prime Minister twice, briefly in 1834 and
again from January 1838 to November 1840. Two Toronto streets,
one with a subway station, are named in his honor. Who is he?

5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

6. Scottish-born Belfast veterinarian John Boyd Dunlop was granted
a patent in 1888 for which invention?

7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
["Tee-shock"]?

8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
["Dahl Air-inn"]?

9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
been Irish.

10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
questions. Svefg, ba gur cngrag dhrfgvba, vs lbh whfg fnvq
"gver", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp. Abj guvf dhrfgvba:
Sbhe Vevfu jevgref unir jba gur Abory Cevmr sbe Yvgrengher:
Funj, Lrngf, Orpxrgg, naq jub ryfr? Ur jnf gur zbfg erprag
jvaare bs gur sbhe.

* Final, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian POS

Meaning "People On Stamps", of course!

All questions are structured as "Who am I" questions - we'll give
you some details, you name the Canadian featured on the Canada
Post stamp.

1. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos1.jpg

Born 1930, in Montreal. First runner-up in the CBC radio
competition "Opportunity Knocks" in 1951. In 1957, sang in
Mahler's Symphony #2 in C with the New York Philharmonic, at
conductor Bruno Walter's request. Honors include: the Order
of Canada, Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and Governor-General's
Performing Arts Award. My vocal range is contralto. Who am I?

2. I was on a 43¢ stamp in 1994:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos2.jpg

Born 1894, in Owen Sound, Ontario. In 1915, I reported to the
21st Squadron for elementary air instruction, training first
in the Avro 504. John MacLachlan Gray, with Eric Peterson,
wrote a musical about me. With 72 victories, I was the top
Canadian and British Empire ace of World War I. Who am I?

3. I was on a 40¢ stamp in 2000:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos3.jpg

Born 1886, on the Six Nations Reserve, Brantford, Ontario.
In 1955, inducted into both the Canadian Sports and Indian
Halls of Fame. Won the 1907 Boston Marathon with a record time
of 2:24:24. Won the title "Professional Champion of the World"
in a race at Madison Square Garden in 1909. Who am I?

4. I was on a 48¢ stamp in 2003:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos4.jpg

Born 1960, in St-Laurent, Quebec. My hockey career ran from
1979 to 2001. I played for Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympics,
where we failed to medal. I played with the Boston Bruins
for 21 seasons, 15 of those as captain. The Bruins and the
Avalanche have both retired my number 77. Who am I?

5. I was on a 46¢ stamp in 2000:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos5.jpg

Born 1912, in Sherbrooke, Quebec. My first book was "Fearful
Symmetry: A Study of William Blake". I was elected to the Royal
Society of Canada in 1951. Since 1999, a namesake literary
festival has been held annually in Moncton. I am considered
an influential literary critic and theorist. Who am I?

6. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos6.jpg

Born 1890, in Proton Township, Grey County, Ontario.
A Scarborough public school was named after me in 1981. I was
the first female MP in Canadian history, in Parliament from
1921 to 1940, then served twice in the Provincial Parliament
of Ontario between 1943 and 1951. Who am I?

7. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos7.jpg

Born 1907, in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. While my film career
spanned 60+ years, the majority of my work was in the '30s.
I was one of the earliest "scream queens". My autobiography,
"On the Other Hand", was published in 1968. Who am i?

8. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos8.jpg

Born 1890, in Gravenhurst, Ontario. During the Spanish Civil
war, I was a front-line trauma surgeon and developed a mobile
blood-transfusion service. I helped bring modern medicine to
rural China. Due to my service, after my death Chairman Mao
wrote a eulogy dedicated to me. Who am I?

9. I was on a 59¢ stamp in 2011:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos9.jpg

Born 1942, in Chatham, Ontario. My pitching career ran from
1965 to 1983. In the off-season, I played for the Harlem
Globetrotters in the late '60s. I'm a member of the Order of
Canada, and was the first Canadian elected to the Baseball Hall
of Fame. Who am i?

10. I was on a 45¢ stamp in 1996:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos10.jpg

Born 1909, in St. Boniface, Manitoba. I was a major figure in
French-Canadian literature. I have won the Governor-General's
Literary Award three times, in 1947, 1957, and 1978. My 1947
award was for "Bonheur d'occasion", published in English as
"The Tin Flute". Who am i?

--
Mark Brader | "The good [people] ended happily, and the bad unhappily.
Toronto | That is what Fiction means."

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<XnsB083E3FC1134BYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5132&group=rec.games.trivia#5132

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:24:42 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 20:24 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish
>
> Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish. (One guess
> as to which Irregular wrote these.)
>
> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?
Cork

> 3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
> later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
> The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
> monuments dedicated to?

Lord Nelson
> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

Melbourne
> 6. Scottish-born Belfast veterinarian John Boyd Dunlop was granted
> a patent in 1888 for which invention?

Vulcanisation
> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

Speaker
> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

Parliament
> 9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
> Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
> been Irish.

Pinter
> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> questions. Svefg, ba gur cngrag dhrfgvba, vs lbh whfg fnvq
> "gver", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp. Abj guvf dhrfgvba:
> Sbhe Vevfu jevgref unir jba gur Abory Cevmr sbe Yvgrengher:
> Funj, Lrngf, Orpxrgg, naq jub ryfr? Ur jnf gur zbfg erprag
> jvaare bs gur sbhe.

Pinter

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<ueb4j9$75d$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5134&group=rec.games.trivia#5134

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 03:29:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 03:29 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish

> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

Cork

> 2. Which Irish city in the southeast is known for its fine
> glassware?

Waterford

> 3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
> later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
> The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
> monuments dedicated to?

Nelson

> 4. Born in Dublin in 1769, he had a distinguished military career,
> then served as British Prime Minister twice, briefly in 1834 and
> again from January 1838 to November 1840. Two Toronto streets,
> one with a subway station, are named in his honor. Who is he?

Wellington

> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

Sydney

> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

Prime Minister

> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's D?il ?ireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

Parliament

> * Final, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian POS

> 2. I was on a 43? stamp in 1994:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos2.jpg
> Born 1894, in Owen Sound, Ontario. In 1915, I reported to the
> 21st Squadron for elementary air instruction, training first
> in the Avro 504. John MacLachlan Gray, with Eric Peterson,
> wrote a musical about me. With 72 victories, I was the top
> Canadian and British Empire ace of World War I. Who am I?

Billy Bishop

> 7. I was on a 51? stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos7.jpg

> Born 1907, in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. While my film career
> spanned 60+ years, the majority of my work was in the '30s.
> I was one of the earliest "scream queens". My autobiography,
> "On the Other Hand", was published in 1968. Who am i?

Fay Wray

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<ueba2f$272r6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5135&group=rec.games.trivia#5135

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:03:09 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 05:03 UTC

On 9/17/23 23:27, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish
>
> Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish. (One guess
> as to which Irregular wrote these.)
>
> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

Cork

> 2. Which Irish city in the southeast is known for its fine
> glassware?

Waterford

> 3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
> later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
> The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
> monuments dedicated to?
>
> 4. Born in Dublin in 1769, he had a distinguished military career,
> then served as British Prime Minister twice, briefly in 1834 and
> again from January 1838 to November 1840. Two Toronto streets,
> one with a subway station, are named in his honor. Who is he?

Melbourne

> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

Brisbane

> 6. Scottish-born Belfast veterinarian John Boyd Dunlop was granted
> a patent in 1888 for which invention?
>
> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

Prime Minister

> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

Parliament

> 9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
> Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
> been Irish.
>
> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> questions. Svefg, ba gur cngrag dhrfgvba, vs lbh whfg fnvq
> "gver", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp. Abj guvf dhrfgvba:
> Sbhe Vevfu jevgref unir jba gur Abory Cevmr sbe Yvgrengher:
> Funj, Lrngf, Orpxrgg, naq jub ryfr? Ur jnf gur zbfg erprag
> jvaare bs gur sbhe.

Joyce

> * Final, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian POS
>
> Meaning "People On Stamps", of course!
>
> All questions are structured as "Who am I" questions - we'll give
> you some details, you name the Canadian featured on the Canada
> Post stamp.
>
> 1. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos1.jpg
>
> Born 1930, in Montreal. First runner-up in the CBC radio
> competition "Opportunity Knocks" in 1951. In 1957, sang in
> Mahler's Symphony #2 in C with the New York Philharmonic, at
> conductor Bruno Walter's request. Honors include: the Order
> of Canada, Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and Governor-General's
> Performing Arts Award. My vocal range is contralto. Who am I?
>
> 2. I was on a 43¢ stamp in 1994:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos2.jpg
>
> Born 1894, in Owen Sound, Ontario. In 1915, I reported to the
> 21st Squadron for elementary air instruction, training first
> in the Avro 504. John MacLachlan Gray, with Eric Peterson,
> wrote a musical about me. With 72 victories, I was the top
> Canadian and British Empire ace of World War I. Who am I?

Brown

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<237f62d6-0bb4-4f4e-a47c-6ad6f6ce67d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5136&group=rec.games.trivia#5136

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 05:44 UTC

On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 1:27:37 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish
>
> Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish.
>
> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

Cork

> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

Melbourne
> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

Prime Minister
> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

House of Commons

> 9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
> Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
> been Irish.

Shaw

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> questions. Svefg, ba gur cngrag dhrfgvba, vs lbh whfg fnvq
> "gver", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp. Abj guvf dhrfgvba:
> Sbhe Vevfu jevgref unir jba gur Abory Cevmr sbe Yvgrengher:
> Funj, Lrngf, Orpxrgg, naq jub ryfr? Ur jnf gur zbfg erprag
> jvaare bs gur sbhe.

Heaney

> * Final, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian POS
>
> Meaning "People On Stamps", of course!
>
> All questions are structured as "Who am I" questions - we'll give
> you some details, you name the Canadian featured on the Canada
> Post stamp.
>
> 4. I was on a 48¢ stamp in 2003:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos4.jpg
>
> Born 1960, in St-Laurent, Quebec. My hockey career ran from
> 1979 to 2001. I played for Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympics,
> where we failed to medal. I played with the Boston Bruins
> for 21 seasons, 15 of those as captain. The Bruins and the
> Avalanche have both retired my number 77. Who am I?

Roy

> 7. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos7.jpg
>
> Born 1907, in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. While my film career
> spanned 60+ years, the majority of my work was in the '30s.
> I was one of the earliest "scream queens". My autobiography,
> "On the Other Hand", was published in 1968. Who am i?

Fay Wray

> 8. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos8.jpg
>
> Born 1890, in Gravenhurst, Ontario. During the Spanish Civil
> war, I was a front-line trauma surgeon and developed a mobile
> blood-transfusion service. I helped bring modern medicine to
> rural China. Due to my service, after my death Chairman Mao
> wrote a eulogy dedicated to me. Who am I?

Bethune

> 9. I was on a 59¢ stamp in 2011:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos9.jpg
>
> Born 1942, in Chatham, Ontario. My pitching career ran from
> 1965 to 1983. In the off-season, I played for the Harlem
> Globetrotters in the late '60s. I'm a member of the Order of
> Canada, and was the first Canadian elected to the Baseball Hall
> of Fame. Who am i?

Jenkins

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<ueda31$2iq32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5137&group=rec.games.trivia#5137

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:15:45 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 23:15 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> Because of the reduced size of the league this season, the usual
> 3-way Final game was abandoned and what was essentially a standard
> game was played, with each of Rounds 2-9 consisting of 10 questions
> on a single subject.
>

> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish
>
> Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish. (One guess
> as to which Irregular wrote these.)
>
> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

Cork

> 2. Which Irish city in the southeast is known for its fine
> glassware?

Waterford

> 3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
> later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
> The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
> monuments dedicated to?

Nelson; Wellington

> 4. Born in Dublin in 1769, he had a distinguished military career,
> then served as British Prime Minister twice, briefly in 1834 and
> again from January 1838 to November 1840. Two Toronto streets,
> one with a subway station, are named in his honor. Who is he?
>
> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

Melbourne

> 6. Scottish-born Belfast veterinarian John Boyd Dunlop was granted
> a patent in 1888 for which invention?
>
> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

Prime Minister; Parliament

> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

Parliament; Prime Minister

> 9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
> Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
> been Irish.

Bono

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> questions. Svefg, ba gur cngrag dhrfgvba, vs lbh whfg fnvq
> "gver", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp. Abj guvf dhrfgvba:
> Sbhe Vevfu jevgref unir jba gur Abory Cevmr sbe Yvgrengher:
> Funj, Lrngf, Orpxrgg, naq jub ryfr? Ur jnf gur zbfg erprag
> jvaare bs gur sbhe.

Thomas

> * Final, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian POS
>
> Meaning "People On Stamps", of course!
>
> All questions are structured as "Who am I" questions - we'll give
> you some details, you name the Canadian featured on the Canada
> Post stamp.
>
> 1. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos1.jpg
>
> Born 1930, in Montreal. First runner-up in the CBC radio
> competition "Opportunity Knocks" in 1951. In 1957, sang in
> Mahler's Symphony #2 in C with the New York Philharmonic, at
> conductor Bruno Walter's request. Honors include: the Order
> of Canada, Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and Governor-General's
> Performing Arts Award. My vocal range is contralto. Who am I?

Forrester

> 2. I was on a 43¢ stamp in 1994:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos2.jpg
>
> Born 1894, in Owen Sound, Ontario. In 1915, I reported to the
> 21st Squadron for elementary air instruction, training first
> in the Avro 504. John MacLachlan Gray, with Eric Peterson,
> wrote a musical about me. With 72 victories, I was the top
> Canadian and British Empire ace of World War I. Who am I?
>
> 3. I was on a 40¢ stamp in 2000:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos3.jpg
>
> Born 1886, on the Six Nations Reserve, Brantford, Ontario.
> In 1955, inducted into both the Canadian Sports and Indian
> Halls of Fame. Won the 1907 Boston Marathon with a record time
> of 2:24:24. Won the title "Professional Champion of the World"
> in a race at Madison Square Garden in 1909. Who am I?
>
> 4. I was on a 48¢ stamp in 2003:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos4.jpg
>
> Born 1960, in St-Laurent, Quebec. My hockey career ran from
> 1979 to 2001. I played for Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympics,
> where we failed to medal. I played with the Boston Bruins
> for 21 seasons, 15 of those as captain. The Bruins and the
> Avalanche have both retired my number 77. Who am I?

Bourque

> 5. I was on a 46¢ stamp in 2000:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos5.jpg
>
> Born 1912, in Sherbrooke, Quebec. My first book was "Fearful
> Symmetry: A Study of William Blake". I was elected to the Royal
> Society of Canada in 1951. Since 1999, a namesake literary
> festival has been held annually in Moncton. I am considered
> an influential literary critic and theorist. Who am I?
>
> 6. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos6.jpg
>
> Born 1890, in Proton Township, Grey County, Ontario.
> A Scarborough public school was named after me in 1981. I was
> the first female MP in Canadian history, in Parliament from
> 1921 to 1940, then served twice in the Provincial Parliament
> of Ontario between 1943 and 1951. Who am I?
>
> 7. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos7.jpg
>
> Born 1907, in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. While my film career
> spanned 60+ years, the majority of my work was in the '30s.
> I was one of the earliest "scream queens". My autobiography,
> "On the Other Hand", was published in 1968. Who am i?
>
> 8. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos8.jpg
>
> Born 1890, in Gravenhurst, Ontario. During the Spanish Civil
> war, I was a front-line trauma surgeon and developed a mobile
> blood-transfusion service. I helped bring modern medicine to
> rural China. Due to my service, after my death Chairman Mao
> wrote a eulogy dedicated to me. Who am I?
>
> 9. I was on a 59¢ stamp in 2011:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos9.jpg
>
> Born 1942, in Chatham, Ontario. My pitching career ran from
> 1965 to 1983. In the off-season, I played for the Harlem
> Globetrotters in the late '60s. I'm a member of the Order of
> Canada, and was the first Canadian elected to the Baseball Hall
> of Fame. Who am i?

Ferguson Jenkins

> 10. I was on a 45¢ stamp in 1996:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos10.jpg
>
> Born 1909, in St. Boniface, Manitoba. I was a major figure in
> French-Canadian literature. I have won the Governor-General's
> Literary Award three times, in 1947, 1957, and 1978. My 1947
> award was for "Bonheur d'occasion", published in English as
> "The Tin Flute". Who am i?

Pete Gayde

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3: Ireland, CanPOS

<657376b3-4084-4bd6-8a13-cf6045ff7240n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5138&group=rec.games.trivia#5138

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 02:30 UTC

On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 2:27:37 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> Because of the reduced size of the league this season, the usual
> 3-way Final game was abandoned and what was essentially a standard
> game was played, with each of Rounds 2-9 consisting of 10 questions
> on a single subject.
>

> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish
>
> Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish. (One guess
> as to which Irregular wrote these.)
>
> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

cork

> 2. Which Irish city in the southeast is known for its fine
> glassware?

waterford

> 3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
> later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
> The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
> monuments dedicated to?

lord nelson

> 4. Born in Dublin in 1769, he had a distinguished military career,
> then served as British Prime Minister twice, briefly in 1834 and
> again from January 1838 to November 1840. Two Toronto streets,
> one with a subway station, are named in his honor. Who is he?

peel?

> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

melbourne

> 6. Scottish-born Belfast veterinarian John Boyd Dunlop was granted
> a patent in 1888 for which invention?

pneumatic tires

> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

prime minister

> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

house of representatives

> 9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
> Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
> been Irish.

george bernard shaw

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> questions. First, on the patent question, if you just said
> "tire", please go back and be more specific. Now this question:
> Four Irish writers have won the Nobel Prize for Literature:
> Shaw, Yeats, Beckett, and who else? He was the most recent
> winner of the four.

seamus heaney

> [...]
> 1965 to 1983. In the off-season, I played for the Harlem
> Globetrotters in the late '60s. I'm a member of the Order of
> Canada, and was the first Canadian elected to the Baseball Hall
> of Fame. Who am i?
>
> 10. I was on a 45¢ stamp in 1996:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos10.jpg
>
> Born 1909, in St. Boniface, Manitoba. I was a major figure in
> French-Canadian literature. I have won the Governor-General's
> Literary Award three times, in 1947, 1957, and 1978. My 1947
> award was for "Bonheur d'occasion", published in English as
> "The Tin Flute". Who am i?
>
> --
> Mark Brader | "The good [people] ended happily, and the bad unhappily.
> Toronto | That is what Fiction means."
> m...@vex.net | -- Oscar Wilde, "The Importance of Being Earnest"
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who never collected stamps and hasn't used one in about three decades

QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: Ireland, CanPOS

<v2OdnfgyzJy4c5b4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5139&group=rec.games.trivia#5139

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: Ireland, CanPOS
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:17:57 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-07-24,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Final, Round 2 - Geography - Ireland and the Irish

> Answer these questions about Ireland and the Irish. (One guess
> as to which Irregular wrote these.)

> 1. What is the second-largest city in the republic of Ireland?

Cork. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
Pete, and Stephen.

Belfast is larger but, of course, it's in Northern Ireland.

> 2. Which Irish city in the southeast is known for its fine
> glassware?

Waterford. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Stephen.

> 3. A Pillar was erected in Dublin in 1808. A smaller Column was
> later erected in London. The Dublin Pillar was blown up in 1966.
> The London Column stands erect to this day. Who were both
> monuments dedicated to?

Horatio Nelson. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 4. Born in Dublin in 1769, he had a distinguished military career,
> then served as British Prime Minister twice, briefly in 1834 and
> again from January 1838 to November 1840. Two Toronto streets,
> one with a subway station, are named in his honor. Who is he?

Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Runner Ronnie Delaney won the 1500 m in the 1956 Summer Olympics,
> the first in the Southern Hemisphere. In which *city* did
> Delaney win Ireland's first Olympic gold?

Melbourne. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 6. Scottish-born Belfast veterinarian John Boyd Dunlop was granted
> a patent in 1888 for which invention?

Pneumatic tire. (Both words required.) 4 for Stephen.

> 7. What is the Canadian equivalent of the Irish title Taoiseach
> ["Tee-shock"]?

Prime minister. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Stephen.
3 for Pete.

> 8. What is the Canadian equivalent of Ireland's Dáil Éireann
> ["Dahl Air-inn"]?

The answer originally expected was Parliament, but that's wrong
and I'm not accepting it. It's specifically the House of Commons.
(The word for the whole Parliament is Oireachtas.) So, 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Bob Dylan is one of two individuals who have won both a Nobel
> Prize and an Oscar. Name the other one, who happens to have
> been Irish.

George Bernard Shaw. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> questions. First, on the patent question, if you just said
> "tire", please go back and be more specific. Now this question:
> Four Irish writers have won the Nobel Prize for Literature:
> Shaw, Yeats, Beckett, and who else? He was the most recent
> winner of the four.

Seamus Heaney (1995). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * Final, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian POS

> Meaning "People On Stamps", of course!

> All questions are structured as "Who am I" questions - we'll give
> you some details, you name the Canadian featured on the Canada
> Post stamp.

> 1. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos1.jpg

> Born 1930, in Montreal. First runner-up in the CBC radio
> competition "Opportunity Knocks" in 1951. In 1957, sang in
> Mahler's Symphony #2 in C with the New York Philharmonic, at
> conductor Bruno Walter's request. Honors include: the Order
> of Canada, Canadian Music Hall of Fame, and Governor-General's
> Performing Arts Award. My vocal range is contralto. Who am I?

Maureen Forrester. 4 for Pete.

> 2. I was on a 43¢ stamp in 1994:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos2.jpg

> Born 1894, in Owen Sound, Ontario. In 1915, I reported to the
> 21st Squadron for elementary air instruction, training first
> in the Avro 504. John MacLachlan Gray, with Eric Peterson,
> wrote a musical about me. With 72 victories, I was the top
> Canadian and British Empire ace of World War I. Who am I?

Lt. William Avery "Billy" Bishop. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. I was on a 40¢ stamp in 2000:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos3.jpg

> Born 1886, on the Six Nations Reserve, Brantford, Ontario.
> In 1955, inducted into both the Canadian Sports and Indian
> Halls of Fame. Won the 1907 Boston Marathon with a record time
> of 2:24:24. Won the title "Professional Champion of the World"
> in a race at Madison Square Garden in 1909. Who am I?

Tom Longboat.

> 4. I was on a 48¢ stamp in 2003:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos4.jpg

> Born 1960, in St-Laurent, Quebec. My hockey career ran from
> 1979 to 2001. I played for Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympics,
> where we failed to medal. I played with the Boston Bruins
> for 21 seasons, 15 of those as captain. The Bruins and the
> Avalanche have both retired my number 77. Who am I?

Ray Bourque. 4 for Pete.

> 5. I was on a 46¢ stamp in 2000:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos5.jpg

> Born 1912, in Sherbrooke, Quebec. My first book was "Fearful
> Symmetry: A Study of William Blake". I was elected to the Royal
> Society of Canada in 1951. Since 1999, a namesake literary
> festival has been held annually in Moncton. I am considered
> an influential literary critic and theorist. Who am I?

Northrop Frye.

> 6. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos6.jpg

> Born 1890, in Proton Township, Grey County, Ontario.
> A Scarborough public school was named after me in 1981. I was
> the first female MP in Canadian history, in Parliament from
> 1921 to 1940, then served twice in the Provincial Parliament
> of Ontario between 1943 and 1951. Who am I?

Agnes Macphail.

> 7. I was on a 51¢ stamp in 2006:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos7.jpg

> Born 1907, in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. While my film career
> spanned 60+ years, the majority of my work was in the '30s.
> I was one of the earliest "scream queens". My autobiography,
> "On the Other Hand",

(Get it?)

> was published in 1968. Who am i?

Fay Wray. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. I was on a 39¢ stamp in 1990:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos8.jpg

> Born 1890, in Gravenhurst, Ontario. During the Spanish Civil
> war, I was a front-line trauma surgeon and developed a mobile
> blood-transfusion service. I helped bring modern medicine to
> rural China. Due to my service, after my death Chairman Mao
> wrote a eulogy dedicated to me. Who am I?

Norman Bethune. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. I was on a 59¢ stamp in 2011:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos9.jpg

> Born 1942, in Chatham, Ontario. My pitching career ran from
> 1965 to 1983. In the off-season, I played for the Harlem
> Globetrotters in the late '60s. I'm a member of the Order of
> Canada, and was the first Canadian elected to the Baseball Hall
> of Fame. Who am i?

Ferguson "Fergie" Jenkins. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. I was on a 45¢ stamp in 1996:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/F-3/pos10.jpg

> Born 1909, in St. Boniface, Manitoba. I was a major figure in
> French-Canadian literature. I have won the Governor-General's
> Literary Award three times, in 1947, 1957, and 1978. My 1947
> award was for "Bonheur d'occasion", published in English as
> "The Tin Flute". Who am i?

Gabrielle Roy.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Can
Joshua Kreitzer 24 12 36
Stephen Perry 32 0 32
Pete Gayde 18 12 30
Dan Blum 20 8 28
Dan Tilque 12 0 12
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 12

--
Mark Brader "Men are animals."
Toronto "What are women? Plants, birds, fish?"