Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....

SubjectAuthor
* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onEd P
`* "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....danny burstein
 `- "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....micky

1
Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<cHnTM.13574$%wRe.12042@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50565&group=alt.home.repair#50565

Subject: Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on
Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:46:01 -0400
 by: Ed P - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:46 UTC

On 10/4/2023 8:26 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:33:14 -0400, Wally J
> <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

>>> My phone was on, but in airplane mode. Nothing. Somebody said the
>>> signal would override airplane mode. Nope.
>>>
>>> Back in elementary school we were taught to hide under out desks when
>>> the teacher yelled DROP!
>>>
>>> I thought that today's technology would work better than that. Nope.
>>
>> I hadn't thought about airplane mode. Thanks for that better idea.
>> That way I can still interact with the phone on my PC monitor
>> since I'm always working on the phone at a size of 2 feet by 1 foot.
>>
>> I wonder what happens when you turn off the airplane mode though.
>>
>> At the equivalent of 3:30 Eastern Time I turned the phone back on.
>> It has only been a few minutes but I haven't seen the alert again yet.
>>
>> In the early sixties we had three things that you speak of.
>> 1. We had air raid sirens in every town that were tested seemingly monthly.
>> 2. We had the TV tell us "this is just a test" about that frequently.
>> 3. We would go outside for a fire alarm, but into the hallway for
>> an air raid - all the kids lining the walls sitting in a cross-legged
>> position with their hands over their heads.
>
> We too had those two things. You are the first other person to bring
> this up. Where did you live?
>
> Even thought I went to public school from 1952 to 68, we never had Duck
> and Cover. I never heard of it until I was 40 years old.
>
> When I was about 40 I started to wonder about the air raid drills. I
> had lived between Pittsburgh but closer to Youngstown. Why would there
> be air raids there? Could there be an air raid that far inland?
>
> Recently I read about some civilian org that watched for enemy planes
> and they did do that at least 3/4 of the way inland to where I was.
>
> We never were asked to put our hands over our heads.

I remember doing it once, about 3rd or 4th grade so about 1953 or so. I
think it was proven that a school desk was good protection if an atomic
bomb hit the school.

"duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....

<ufl28r$c6b$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50566&group=alt.home.repair#50566

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:07:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:07 UTC

In <cHnTM.13574$%wRe.12042@fx46.iad> Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> writes:

[snip]
>> Even thought I went to public school from 1952 to 68, we never had Duck
>> and Cover. I never heard of it until I was 40 years old.

[snip]

>I remember doing it once, about 3rd or 4th grade so about 1953 or so. I
>think it was proven that a school desk was good protection if an atomic
>bomb hit the school.

I hate to, umm, explode the fatalism here, but "duck and cover"
and associated protective measnures ARE IMPORTANT.

True, if a Hiroshima bomb explodes directrly above your
school you're going to be lava and ashes, but ... if it's
five miles away, your school will lose its windows and
some walls, but if you take cover you'll be ok [a].

We saw this exact scenario in Chelyabinsk, Russia,
a decade ago.

A meteor[ite] exploded above the city at a height
of about 20 miles, with a force 500 kilotons (about
25 times Hiroshima).

People had **TWO MINUTES** from "flash to blast".

There were about 1,500 recognized injuries from
the secondary effects (shattered glass, etc.).

Almost every single one of those 1,500 would have
been fine if they'd have "ducked and covered".

I can't find it now, but I saw a (translated) interview
with a school teacher recognized as a hero for rushing
her kids to an interior hallway.

Wiki has a good writeup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

[a] initial injuries/death, of course. If there's just
a "limited" nuclear exchange then yes, it'll make
a big difference. If there's a fullscale, thousands
of nukes, fallout, destruction of civilization, level,
that's another story.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....

<i59tiip9jfa9lv6a9o5h68aljrd9ltmtk8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51193&group=alt.home.repair#51193

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:18:09 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:18 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:07:39 -0000 (UTC), danny
burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>In <cHnTM.13574$%wRe.12042@fx46.iad> Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> writes:
>
>[snip]
>>> Even thought I went to public school from 1952 to 68, we never had Duck
>>> and Cover. I never heard of it until I was 40 years old.
>
>[snip]
>
>>I remember doing it once, about 3rd or 4th grade so about 1953 or so. I
>>think it was proven that a school desk was good protection if an atomic
>>bomb hit the school.
>
>I hate to, umm, explode the fatalism here, but "duck and cover"
>and associated protective measnures ARE IMPORTANT.
>
>True, if a Hiroshima bomb explodes directrly above your
>school you're going to be lava and ashes, but ... if it's
>five miles away, your school will lose its windows and
>some walls, but if you take cover you'll be ok [a].
>
>We saw this exact scenario in Chelyabinsk, Russia,
>a decade ago.
>
>A meteor[ite] exploded above the city at a height
>of about 20 miles, with a force 500 kilotons (about
>25 times Hiroshima).
>
>People had **TWO MINUTES** from "flash to blast".
>
>There were about 1,500 recognized injuries from
>the secondary effects (shattered glass, etc.).
>
>Almost every single one of those 1,500 would have
>been fine if they'd have "ducked and covered".
>
>I can't find it now, but I saw a (translated) interview
>with a school teacher recognized as a hero for rushing
>her kids to an interior hallway.
>
>Wiki has a good writeup:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor
>
>[a] initial injuries/death, of course. If there's just
>a "limited" nuclear exchange then yes, it'll make
>a big difference. If there's a fullscale, thousands
>of nukes, fallout, destruction of civilization, level,
>that's another story.

I don't doubt that duck and cover can be an enormous help. I was just
saying we never heard of it in my school between Pittsburgh and
Youngstown. 50 mles from Ptsbg, 30 from Youngstown, we would only have
been a target if some missile was off course or far off course.

But the same would have been true for air raids, even in the middle of
wwii. I assume the air raid drills were a holdover from the war, and
frankly I don't remember them past first grade. First grade was in a
basement classroom, the only classroom in the basement. But I don't
remember standing against the walls on the first floor in grades 2-6 and
I would think I would.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: "duck and cover", was: Emergency alert ....